Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I think it would have been more interesting on the Autoclub Speedway roval. It shows them doing straight line and g-force testing there, why did they drive out to willow springs? The speed limiter on the mustang would kill its lap times there. Autoclub Speedway probably wants moneys.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Numbers game or not, "Slower than a v6 mustang on a track" is a hard pill to swallow for a car that is so focused. I think the cross-shopping of the mustand and BRZ is more likely than many think.

That number is highly, highly dependent on what track we're talking about here. Also, very few of you are race car drivers, so I wonder just how much performance per price really matters compared to the related metric of perceived performance per price. The point of the car is to be small, fun, and engaging to drive, not to put up the highest numbers possible. Not to mention the fact that it is probably going to be highly competitive in events such as autocross, which is just about the most accessible sort of motorsport you can get into short of stuff like drag racing.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Internet Meme posted:

To me, it's a price/performance ratio. According to that video, I can get a car that's faster both in a straight line and on the track, with a superior aftermarket, room for a turbo, the same gas mileage, and cheap parts, for exactly the exact same price.

Cheaper, I got a 2012 v6 premium Mustang with the pony package and comfort package for 23k. I was going to hold out for the FR-S, but when I realized I'd be paying 4000 more for a bone stock interior I had to make the call.

Now, I'm not saying the toyobaru is a bad car, I'm just saying that in three years you'll be able to buy a new one at invoice that will probably be better than the first year model. You gotta look at your pocketbook and think about what really matters to you.

Also, I had them down to 26,900 on a 2012 V8 premium but didjt want to pay an arm and leg for gas and insurance.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I just dont want to sit back and see people rushing in with "it doesnt count because its got less power", or "it doesnt count because its not the right configuration of racetrack". I'm no mustang fanboy by any means (see name), but credit where credit is due, it wins on the track. If it cant make up for its lack of power with momentum its simply a slower car.

A car on grand touring all seasons loses to a car with a superior power to weight ratio and max performance summer tires why you don't say :allears:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Muffinpox posted:

If the S2000 weren't so loud it would be pretty easy to do, the S.Drives don't make much noise.

False. You don't drift an S2000, it spins you into a tree and you explode. Don't you know, only the FR-S contains the burning soul of Akina.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I was all about comparing the Toyobaru to the Mustang until I got to drive a 5.0 for 4 days (Hertz has them). It was fast and made glorious noises but that was about it. It just felt too big. I'm not sure if it was the bad visibility or the meh steering or just the size/weight of the thing. If anything the Mustang has more in common with cars like the 300C and Charger.

This is the sort of car that most drivers are never going to race against anything, they'll be used for tearing down traffic free back roads on a weekend afternoon. For that purpose, if the BRZ is anything like what the reviewers are talking about (I'm imagining an AW11 MR2 with 20 years of refinement), it'll be hands down a better option.

I want to drive one badly after seeing that review.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 4, 2012

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Did that video really change anyone's mind? It just confirmed what we've been told over and over again: this car is built for fun, not speed, and it has low power compared to modern sports cars.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

bidikyoopi posted:

Did that video really change anyone's mind? It just confirmed what we've been told over and over again: this car is built for fun, not speed, and it has low power compared to modern sports cars.

BUT IT'S NOT AS GOOD OF A PRICE/PERFORMANCE RATIO AS THE MUSTANG!!!!!!!

The Mustang is basically a monster in terms of price for performance. The Mustang GT is on the same performance level (though definitely not refinement level) as a BMW M3 for gently caress's sake. I would love to have either a new Mustang GT or* this car, because they're both amazing machines, but they're pretty different animals. I'd still love to have a BRZ even with the knowledge that even my sorry rear end could probably get around a track faster in a Mustang.

* and

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 4, 2012

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Possum Launcher posted:

Not even. The Mustang was 1.23 seconds faster, which is only about 1.5% faster with a 50% power advantage. To me, that means the BRZ made up a huge amount of ground with some combination of lighter weight, cornering ability and driver confidence. That sounds like a win to me.

Power doesn't work that way, the car isn't immediately 50% better or even 50% faster. To add to that you aren't accelerating while breaking or turning, and the extra weight, higher center of gravity and less amount of effort/money put into the suspension means that the BRZ should have more of an advantage on a slow speed track with a bunch of turns. But it didn't and it got beat, so I don't really know what you are expecting to come out of this, because the BRZ will get demolished on a faster track.

edit:

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I think it would have been more interesting on the Autoclub Speedway roval. It shows them doing straight line and g-force testing there, why did they drive out to willow springs? The speed limiter on the mustang would kill its lap times there. Autoclub Speedway probably wants moneys.

The track is "Streets of Willow Springs," which is a much smaller track that has a longest straight of 1000' and an entire size of 1.8 miles. Compare this to Willow Springs proper that has a 1/2 mile straightaway.

ppp fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 4, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'm shocked how anyone can watch those videos and how Pobst clearly loves the BRZ/FT and think the mustang is the better car.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Muffinpox posted:

A car on grand touring all seasons loses to a car with a superior power to weight ratio and max performance summer tires why you don't say :allears:

Yeah, the BRZ come stock with 215/45R17 Michelin Primacy HPs. It doesn't necessarily need wider tires - there's not that much power to put down - but stickier rubber would make a huge difference. Especially considering Pobst raved about the P-Zeros on the Mustang.

Bottom line, though,

n8r posted:

I'm shocked how anyone can watch those videos and how Pobst clearly loves the BRZ/FT and think the mustang is the better car.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

n8r posted:

Yeah the basic gist seems to be that the Mustang has good balance and more power, a good car in its own right, but not as good as the BRZ in terms of driving feel and fun. It was faster around the track with a professional driver, and from what he was saying it seemed harder to drive fast so that time difference would probably be all over the place with different levels of driving ability.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Every five pages, Mustang V6.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

That Mustang was a baaaaad colour.

also i would still buy the BRZ, only because a mustang isnt sold here for any reasonable amount of money.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The only people who buy a mustang in the UK are idiots who think they're american (they're not) fat old men who think they're cowboys (they're not) and people who want a muscle car regardless of fuel being £1.45/l. They are not bought for performance here.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cakefool posted:

The only people who buy a mustang in the UK are idiots who think they're american (they're not) fat old men who think they're cowboys (they're not) and people who want a muscle car regardless of fuel being £1.45/l. They are not bought for performance here.
They are not bought for performance here either.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Powershift posted:

Bogging. The term "no low end torque" is thrown around a lot.

Yes, it is. You're not going to do 4600rpm clutch dumps all the time. It is a 7 second 0-60 and 15 second 1/4 mile car, but most of the world considers that quick.

How do you think acceleration tests are done, by idling off the line?
The BM video clearly shows low-mid 14s launching with considerably less revs than the Ignition test, and both results point to a car that is comfortably quicker than originally suggested by various sources.

No one is suggesting 14s are quick, but for a car like this it's respectable at least

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 4, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ROFLBOT posted:

That sure is an odd way of looking at things- a car that does better than expectations even with a poor launching technique, and yet that counts for nothing?

Unless you're suggesting it can only be idled off the line, which last time I checked, was not how performance runs were done...

What it will do in real life is an odd way to look at a car? Have you ever dropped the clutch at 4600rpm in anything you own?

edit: you are aware there's middle ground between idling out and 5k clutch dumps. look at the way they launch the mustang in the comparison video. You're arguing over 2/10ths of a second in a scenario this car is never going to win at.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 4, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

coolskillrex remix posted:

0-60 times are a useless rubric in manual transmission cars and i dont know why people get so hung up over them. 99.999999% of people going off of stop lights arent going to dump their clutch at 4600rpm.

Weight to power ratios and gear ratios determine how fast a car can pin you in the back of your seat, and thats what lends it to being "fun", basically a 5-45, or 5-60, or 30-60, those are all much more consistent times than 0-60.
Yep, in-gear thrust is what gives you the :haw: face.

My Jeep's got pretty much the same straight-line performance as the Toyobaru. Doesn't mean it's a comparable sportscar.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

People have started getting their VINs and ETAs. No such luck for anyone in Texas though :smith:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Powershift posted:

What it will do in real life is an odd way to look at a car? Have you ever dropped the clutch at 4600rpm in anything you own?

Plenty of times, and it usually results in wheelspin and less than optimal acceleration, amazingly just like it did in the FR-S test. Presumably then, with less revs and a smoother clutch release the car would easily better the high 14 it got, no?

quote:

edit: you are aware there's middle ground between idling out and 5k clutch dumps. look at the way they launch the mustang in the comparison video. You're arguing over 2/10ths of a second in a scenario this car is never going to win at.

What exactly is your point? 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are measured by finding the optimal revs to launch at, it doesn't matter whether that's 1000rpm or 5000rpm, and if I need 5000rpm to win a stop light grand pix then that's what I'll rev it to!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
e: nevermind

I want an FR-S and have never given a poo poo about Mustangs so v:shobon:v

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 4, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Idiot race posted:

What exactly did they criticise? Wierd realy seeing as most reviews have been fairly positive.

Yeah, as posted since basically complete lack of torque. That weight and a 200hp output should make it quick anywhere, but they called it gutless, saying it was constantly caught out on corner exit.

To me the blindingly obvious question was why it didn't seem to occur to them that this is what you get when you test a car (especially one with a bias towards top-end power) with a torque converter box. You're down ~10% immediately over the manual even if the shift logic is good, and presumably it carries a weight penalty.

Possibly more on point, they said it has too much grip. Basically the chassis setup + LSD generates huge grip at the back, even with the primacies, yet under braking the rubber up front can't cope. So unless the corners are very flowing, it's untidy on the way into the corner and then refuses to break grip on the exit.

Only way to deal with that is to break it loose on the entry and carry that through, but on the road even EVO reviewers didn't think you could be expected to do that safely on a regular basis.

Mind you, that's what I have to do with my N/A Impreza :( and it has to be said they're right, if the corner doesn't have a nice wide entry and exit (e.g. roundabouts) I'm hardly going to flick it in anyway and hope I don't end up in a ditch.

I think where they may have missed the point, as with Metcalfe's Prius hate, is that many UK enthusiast buyers don't want constant power oversteer in the dry, and might actually want a proper sports coupe that doesn't cost as much as the Zed and won't kill them on road tax, insurance or tyres. Oh, and they probably won't be stupid enough to buy the auto.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Apparently I'm going to have to be getting my test drive out of Subaru because someone just wrecked Alberta's only FR-S demo car. I wonder if they will even have test drive demo cars available when shipping picks up or if they've already sold their allocation for Canada.

Here's evo comparing the BRZ to the Megane 265 Trophy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNUL9eQO5Q0

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why in the name of all that is loving holy did they test an auto?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Saga posted:

To me the blindingly obvious question was why it didn't seem to occur to them that this is what you get when you test a car (especially one with a bias towards top-end power) with a torque converter box. You're down ~10% immediately over the manual even if the shift logic is good, and presumably it carries a weight penalty.

Actually, the modified Aisin TL-80SN that it's claimed is used is a full lock-up torque converter for second gear and up. Same for all the other high-end RWD Aisins. Also, the mfr curb weights for manual vs. auto are 1255 vs. 1276 kg (or 1259/1280 optioned out), which is less than a 50 pound difference. Modern automatic transmissions have advanced a lot in terms of weight and efficiency. Although it is true that the 1:1 ratio is on fourth gear in the auto instead of fifth in the manual, which on a pretty low-power car like this is definitely more for fuel economy than performance since that's two overdrive gears.

According to this speculation, the gearbox in the BRZ is an Aisin AZ6, which apparently is a "medium torque capacity RWD 6-speed manual" and probably can't handle much over 200-210 lb/ft of torque under production conditions, which is another reason that a turbo option will take some serious re-engineering if they want to make one. Also, it will add to the cost, which will probably leave a potential BRZ turbo competing in the $30-34k range, which is kind of nuts and way too expensive.

I also have a bit of a suspicion that, behind the scenes, there was some sort of deal regarding suppliers since all the drivetrain parts except for the engine itself were sourced from Toyota's private suppliers like Aisin and Torsen. This might also constrain the availability of a higher-powered version since the next higher RWD manual from Aisin is (I believe) significantly more expensive, and Subaru might not be able to switch to Getrag or some other supplier for political or contract/informal contract reasons.

Ratios:
pre:
	manual	automatic
1	3.626	3.538
2	2.188	2.060
3	1.541	1.404
4	1.213	1.000
5	1.000	0.713
6	0.767	0.582
R	3.437	3.168
Final D	4.100	4.100

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 4, 2012

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Apparently I'm going to have to be getting my test drive out of Subaru because someone just wrecked Alberta's only FR-S demo car. I wonder if they will even have test drive demo cars available when shipping picks up or if they've already sold their allocation for Canada.

Here's evo comparing the BRZ to the Megane 265 Trophy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNUL9eQO5Q0

A FWD was more fun to drive? Yeah okay. The guy (riding bitch as opposed to driving the car himself) looked like he was going to throw up the whole time, I don't believe for a second that he had any fun in either of those cars.

EVO has also said that the Miata is poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

emoltra posted:

A FWD was more fun to drive? Yeah okay. The guy (riding bitch as opposed to driving the car himself) looked like he was going to throw up the whole time, I don't believe for a second that he had any fun in either of those cars.

EVO has also said that the Miata is poo poo.

Typical English. I smell a little rage at the death of the entire British auto industry considering his fawning over the Lotus Elise. Also, the snobbish lack of concern for the difference in price between those cars. Basically he's saying "the Miata isn't as good as the less popular, more expensive, low-volume Lotus Elise so waaah".

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Harris likes the FR-S. It's a bit strange because most other reviewers have liked both the FR-S and the Miata and compared the two favorably. Not sure what threshold the Miata is not meeting for him.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Headroom.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Muffinpox posted:

In all fairness it sounds like he didn't have to lift much on the BR-Z so the (admittedly awful) tires still weren't being stretched too hard.

I'm so torn because I want to love the Toyobaru but man that price point is just a little too high for my tastes. This is coming from someone who lusts after RX-8s, so I don't know what that even means. :haw:

I wonder how the V6 Camaro stacks up handling-wise.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I wonder how the V6 Camaro stacks up handling-wise.

Who cares, the thing is a coffin. Have you sat in one? On the other hand, if you're a stick-man who is 4 inches taller than me (he was 6'11") you'll fit really well in one, one of my classmates had one.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is it still really tight? I've only ever sat in a last generation (late 90s) Camaro and it was definitely snug. I guess I'm not too bothered by that but it blows my mind that my tiny-rear end Acura has a more accommodating interior than a number of larger cars.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Elbow room is a touch tight in the NB as well during long trips.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It was a 2010 Camaro. I was uncomfortable in the car because it was not even slightly snug, there was too much room. I'm not sure if you remember what I look like from earlier in the thread, but I am 6'7" and 330 pounds with wide shoulders and a wide pelvis. I'm a big guy, and finding a car with too much room is bizarre. e: /\/\/\/\ Yeah, that was the thing, the only place it was cramped was there was no place to put your left arm at all.

The windows are also literally shorter than the chin-to-hair height of my head, the beltline is neck-height (good luck putting your elbow out the window), and the blind spot from the B pillar is huge. Add in the huge long hood and it was a nightmare car. The only way I could imagine enjoying it would be solo at a track, which brings us back to the current conversation. :v:

I really like the way every previous generation of Camaro looked, and while I think the current Mustang is a nice modernization of a classic look, the current Camaro is a herpes-laden dick in the eye. It's an obvious attempt to match the Mustang's retro-mod flavor but fails miserably, partly because the Camaro they based the look off of is obscure, and partly because it's a fat loving piggy. That works for the Mustang because the Fastbacks were rad, but when I think of a Camaro I expect it to be sleek like a 'Vette.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 4, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just sat in the press car at subaru halifax. Despite knowing the dimensions I was still surprised at how small it was, and how low you sat to the ground. The bolstering on the seats seemed pretty good, better than my e36 or e46 sport seats. Interior seemed good, but I was in the top of the line BRZ. It definitely looks great in person from almost every angle.

They're apparently getting 3, and are trying to get another 3 allocated. They've sold on so far. Haven't been to the scion dealer yet since it's across the bridge. Canadian price is still a killer though, almost 32k with tax.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Let the games begin!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

Haven't been to the scion dealer yet since it's across the bridge.
The idea that Halifax has Subaru and Dartmouth has Scion is pretty much all you need to know about those two cities.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Welp, I just put down my deposit for an FR-S at the local Toyota megadealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

jamal posted:

Manual racks are slow as poo poo and not good from a performance driving standpoint.

That's a fairly overarching comment.

Elise has a manual rack.

• Locked thread