Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zorch
Nov 28, 2006

I really appreciate knowing that I won't have any issues fitting in the BRZ but what the hell :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Ziploc posted:

This car might not be for you then. Downshifting is loving fun. Just learn how to do it properly and you'll never want to stop.

Every time I downshift I feel like I'm in the millennium falcon and we're jumping to hyperspace.

I drive a 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Can't wait to see what downshifting in a BRZ feels like.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

blk posted:

Has anyone confirmed that an infant's car seat can fit in the back? I want to keep this car as long as possible but my girlfriend wants to pop one out in 3 years.

I could have swore I saw that they were going to sell a booster seat that strapped into the middle on ft86club, but I can't seem to find anything.

edit: found it

It's from this accessory catalog.

zorch fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 13, 2012

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

But what if you folded the back seat down? (assuming you'd want to share the same compartment with a pile of dead hookers)

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

I thought there was a big announcement with all of the new posts. Nope, just Prius chat.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Went to the dealership and ordered mine today :dance:

Subaru of Plano (TX) said that they're going to be getting 15 in one shot, so they're going to take orders for all 15 of them instead of just receiving a random allotment. They said they should be getting them in 60 - 90 days. They're going to be having a car show at the dealership in May, (seventh I think) they'll have the GT300 there, some race car driver, tuning companies, and a handful of BRZs.

I'm getting a dark grey metallic premium with manual transmission.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume he just put a deposit down on a specific car, pricing TBD, but correct me if I'm wrong by all means.

This is correct. FWIW Subaru of Plano said that they're not going to add a bullshit "market adjustment" markup like some dealers are, though I didn't think to get that in writing. :sigh: So hopefully it'll just be MSRP + TTL.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

https://proj4.boxer.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html

:aaaaa:

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those are in fact the only two answers.

Dark Grey Metallic, bitch. :smuggo:

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

quote:

including our legendary Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system

:haw:

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

InitialDave posted:

So the floorpan's got enough rigidity to lose the roof entirely, but not to have a hatch?

Yeah, thanks guys. Nice one. :rolleyes:

:shepface:

I wonder how many baby seats you could fit in a brz hatch

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

blk posted:

Almost forgot, here's MSRP on the limited.

Dick Burglar posted:

Is that is $AUS or what? Where the hell do they charge 100 Gs for this car?

My premium has the same number listed for MSRP, it's just a placeholder.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

BRZ owner's manual has been posted.

zorch fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 14, 2012

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Powershift posted:

You would think by now they would have production versions on the show circuit. the car is supposed to hit lots inside of 3 months

The production versions just started rolling off the line a week ago.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

The one at CES had steering wheel controls, don't know anything other than that though.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Removed on behalf of SoA. Sorry guys.

zorch fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 18, 2012

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

zorch fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 18, 2012

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Yeah, I'm going to adjust my mirrors to the Society of Automotive Engineers' specifications. If I'm not happy with that I could always slap on some of those fisheye doodads.

zorch fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 16, 2012

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Dark Grey Metallic looks fantastic in person.

Here's some charts of what's popular on the ft86club forums. (compiled from their sold order registry)

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

zorch fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 18, 2012

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

I'm 6'2" and had no issues sitting in the BRZ. It was also easy to get in and out of, even compared to larger cars like the Camaro.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

FR-S prices have been announced, $24,200 for manual and $25,300 for automatic.

quote:

To: All Scion Dealers March 20, 2012

Subject: 2013MY Scion FR-S Price Announcement

Scion is pleased to announce the starting price of $24,200 for the highly awaited 2013MY Scion.

FR-S which will arrive at Scion dealerships in June. Even with DPH, the starting price is still under $25,000!

2013MY Scion FR-S Highlights:
This high performance sports car is the fifth model to join the Scion family. Inspired by the
Toyota AE86, FR-S is designed around the core goal of achieving, “Pure Balance.” This
balance begins with the use of the world’s only front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration
using a flat boxer engine.
Some of the great standard features on FR-S include:
• 2.0 liter, 200 horsepower, naturally aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine
• Toyota’s cutting edge D-4S injection system with direct and port
injection
• 6-speed manual transmission that offers quick precise shifts with a short
throw
• 6-speed automatic transmission with rev-match and steering-wheel
mounted paddle shifters
• Torque Sensing Limited Slip Differential
• 17-inch alloy wheels and ventilated disc brakes
FR-S’s interior ****pit instantly exudes a “sports car” feel. The front sports seats are shaped to
accommodate manual shifting and support longitudinal and lateral G-force. The leather
wrapped 3-spoke sports steering wheel, utilizes the smallest diameter in the Scion lineup.
The idea of “Pure Balance” is further realized by FR-S’s lightweight design and compact size.
This allows the car to be quick and nimble into and out of corners. This combination is further
proof that Scion is truly “Bringing the Sport Back to the Car.”
The FR-S will be available in seven colors including Raven, Asphalt, Hot Lava, Argento,
Ultramarine, Firestorm and Whiteout.

Pricing Summary Documents:
MSRP for the FR-S six-speed manual and six-speed sequential automatic transmissions are $24,200 and $25,300 respectively.

Model Transmission Description 2013 Base
MSRP
6253 6MT FA20 $24,200
6252 6AT FA20 $25,300

All prices listed above exclude the Delivery, Processing, and Handling (DPH) fee
Pricing will be announced to the public on Thursday, March 22, 2012. Please keep this
information confidential until Thursday, March 22, 2012. Pricing details will be available in
the Scion FR-S Price Guides posted in the “Secure Area” for Dealer Principals on Dealer Daily.
Please contact your Regional Office or local administrator if you have any questions.

Also, here's a video of the FR-S on Laguna Seca:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGso9oKcYtM

zorch fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 21, 2012

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Guinness posted:

Hot drat, under 25k to start. Any idea what the Limited (or whatever the Scion equivalent is) package costs?

That was for the Scion FR-S, not the BRZ. BRZ prices haven't been announced yet.

I guess it really comes down to how Subaru and Toyota are planning on cooperating. As the BRZ Premium has HID lights and navigation, if it's priced too closely to the FR-S it will cannibalize sales. I'm hoping the BRZ Premium will come out somewhere in the mid 25's and the Limited will be around 27.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

I didn't like how they were jerking me around on price so I went out and bought a Pontiac Aztek instead. I had been cross shopping it, the BRZ and a Smart Fortwo but in the end I felt like the Aztek had the speed, handling and fuel economy I was looking for.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

ugh I can't believe the price came out to be exactly what everyone has been saying for the last four months. I think imma buy some jersey shore muscle car that literally everyone in the world owns instead

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Q_res posted:

I find it funny that "other people own this car" is considered a valid criticism. If that bothers you enough to weigh on your purchase decision, I don't think you have any business trying to take the high ground as a "car guy", as opposed to a fashion whore.

Yes because there's something wrong with wanting to spend tens of thousands of dollars on something that's at least moderately unique and interesting.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Q_res posted:

No, that's a perfectly reasonable thing for a fashion whore to do.

My dad restores mustangs. He has a 68 GT500 convertible and a Sunbeam Tiger autographed by Carroll Shelby himself in addition to at least one or two 60's Mustangs constantly in flux. I've been to many Mustang / Shelby meets and have driven a handful of Mustangs around a track. I don't think they're lovely cars but to say "nope, gonna go buy a base model Mustang instead" is loving retarded.

Most "car guys" value handling and track performance above all else. The V6 Mustang may have 100 more horsepower but you're not going to see it in the autocross charts like you will the FT-86s which are showing all signs of being the next 'win button' car. 100 horsepower doesn't make a whole lot of difference -- that's not going to get used on the highway, and even if it's more powerful it's also a lot heavier and won't handle nearly as well. So if you're going to buy it to go drag race or something, uh... have fun and enjoy your 14 second quarter miles.

Also, I'd like to put it out there that I'm literally the only person in this thread that has driven a BRZ before. :smug:

- ~*~fashion whore~*~

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

From this blog:

quote:

Remote electrocution ability prevents Mr. Game and Watch from stealing your Subaru BRZ.

Do not let your guard down. Subaru BRZ is very hungry.

While not required for operation of the Subaru BRZ, be aware that every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

Do not roll the Subaru BRZ onto its roof. This will enrage the Subaru BRZ.

No cutesy poo poo.

Subaru BRZ should not be used to tow horse trailers.

Not even if you push the trailer, smartass.

Eh, suit yourself.

Toyota and Subaru love you and want you to be happy.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Looks like the press embargo has been lifted, a bunch of articles were posted today:

Edmunds Inside Line

Automobile Magazine

Road and Track

Motor Trend

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

grover posted:

Interesting disparity in the tests, with Edmunds only able to do 0-60mph in 7.3 seconds in their real-world, while Motor Trend claims 6.4s.

I think Motor Trend has a reputation for beating the poo poo out of their cars:

quote:

As I enthusiastically revved the BRZ's 2.0-liter, 200-hp flat-four up to 5500 rpm, or about 2000 rpm shy of redline, I dropped the clutch, and, unlike any Subaru before, the tiny coupe lit up its rear tires as if they were Ground Bloom Flowers on July 4.

I doubt we'll be dropping the clutch from 5500 rpm on a regular basis, haha. So while 6.4s might be theoretically possible, it probably won't happen too often in the real world. Also, shifting into 3rd probably adds a good half second or so and 59 is *pretty much* 60.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Guys, only 14,000 of them are coming to the US this year and almost all of them have been bought up already. I highly doubt they're going to have any issues selling the remainder because they didn't make 2nd gear marginally longer.

Edit: 14,000 including FR-S's

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Q_res posted:

Is this actually true, because I've not seen any numbers on how many orders they've already got. But, you're absolutely right, they're not going to have even one of these things sitting on the lot because 2nd tops out slightly under 60.

Yep, call your local Scion / Subaru dealer and ask how many of their allotted units are left.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

Weren't most of them getting like 3 at most? I doubt they've sold the entire production run yet.

In most cases dealers have sold 60% - 70% of their year's allotment, and this is before the MSRP has been announced (in the BRZ's case) and before any sort of marketing campaign.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

BossTweed posted:

I thought I read that the BRZ was going to be released a few cars a month per dealer? That made me assume that it wasn't just a single batch of cars that would be sold. How many Subaru dealerships are there in the country?

The dealers' yearly allocation is going to be spread out over May - November. So for instance the dealership I'm getting mine from has been allocated 15 units this year, so they'll be getting 2 per month.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

WT Wally posted:

I contacted a Subaru dealer for information, and they sent me some kind of marketing brochure. It's clearly targeted at salespeople, and specifically mentions how to talk up the fact that it is rarer than the FR-S. I'll try to scan this thing in tomorrow.

Save yourself some effort, it's been done.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

MiniFoo posted:

Yeah, but you can't read any of that poo poo. The text's too small.

Here's a better version

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

The 86's aren't exactly common knowledge right now outside of the enthusiast crowd. Despite this a whole shitload of them have been bought up already. The FR-S is supposed to be twice as common as the BRZ, so my bet is that a lot of the people that won't find out about the cars until they're actually on the streets and have marketing campaigns are going to end up buying the FR-S just because they're going to have a hard time finding a BRZ.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

Oh whoa, I didn't realize it before but it looks like the FR-S is gonna have that "86" badging on the fender vent just like the Toyota version.

It looks like a shake weight :v:

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

I'm kind of tired of the kids on ft86club and have considered starting a new site. Some points:

• Blog, invisionpowerboard, mediawiki, all accessible through the same user credentials
  • More editorial control both on the blog (photo galleries, events calendars, etc), and more active moderation of the forums
  • More exclusive membership -- users have either preordered / own a FT-86, have been invited through an invite voucher system, or have proved that they are an established vendor, probably will let you auth through your SA account as well

Basically, I'm just trying to spitballing ideas for creating an internet automotive community that isn't completely terrible. Is it worth it, or do you guys think ft86club.com has already cornered the market for the most part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

For vendors I would require that they had a website, and I would just have them upload a text file somewhere on their domain. Hardest part is validating preorders because I doubt people want to give up their VON's (and I wouldn't want them to)

• Locked thread