Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'll consider buying this car the second an aftermarket company comes out with a single exhaust conversion. Try hard much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

You're in luck because this car apparently has the same cabin dimensions and two bonus seats.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I wouldn't be too concerned with Subaru's ability to make a reliable naturally aspirated engine.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Enh aren't the Z cars the most obvious competitors? They weigh a good chunk more but probably end up with comparable power to weight. Or did nissan kill them off? I don't even remember.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

You don't know mazda like I do.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

rscott posted:

"I just can't quit delivering tofu"

I'll tepidly admit that I'd probably be smitten by an TOUGE PIZZA DELIVERY style commercial for this car. The more contrived and outrageous, the better.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Lowclock posted:

Someone tell me why an MR2 Spyder with about 300hp would not be an awesome car. I have seen like 10 times more Ferraris in real life than I have seen those cars. I drove a friend's sequential one once, and even though it was slow as poo poo, it was very fun to drive.

e: Well, slow as poo poo compared to what I expected at the time.

I know it's almost silly to mention practicality in the context of sports cars, but even by the standards of a mid engined 2 seater, storage room in them is hilarious, like, can barely go grocery shopping (with a passenger) and fit more than, oh, two bags in the car.

Also the s2000 is technically mid engined and does most things better to the point where I'd probably take the 240hp s2000 over a hypothetical 300hp MR2, if that's what we're basing things on.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The area in front of the wheel rear bothers me (if we're going to nit pick).

Looks like a cankle.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Requesting rocket bunny spoiler.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

Im confused, whats the point of the subaru version if its almost identical to the toyota version?

The Subaru badge appeals to people like me who find Scion's overall marketing to be very contrived/superficial and even annoying at points.

Scion should have always been more along the line of "hey, here are some nice cars that are a bit quirky but are very well put together... buy them" but instead they do... dubstep commercials.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I wonder how many of these will end up as automatics in the American market. We still buy something like 93% automatics overall.

As an ultra scientific and precise test, I just did a search on autotrader for 370z's within 500 miles and it was 300 automatic cars and 260 manuals.
Current model mustangs had 1700 automatics and 1600 manuals.
Genesis coupe: 380 automatics, 140 manuals :wtc:

Mazda seems to be winning this battle:
RX-8's: 230 manuals, 40 automatics
New miatas: 180 manuals, 150 automatics

The NA miata sold something like 90% manuals.

This car may be annoying to shop for in 10 years.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'm sure Lamin-x will have tail light tint out minutes after this car rolls off the lot.

Also do other cars lately try to have automatic shifters masquerading as manuals and I haven't noticed or is this indeed the most tryhard car feature possible?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I know it's not really what we're talking about but Audi is somewhat likely to put a single rotor rotary into a production hybrid as a dedicated battery charger.

But yeah all signs point to the rotary going out with a whimper, not a bang.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Haha, I love Toyota. Macpherson struts and superchargers. Never change.

I have this image in my head of a Toyota Engineer cracking open a decrepit file cabinet, taking out a binder, blowing fifteen years of dust off the cover, and then going to town on the drafting table.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The perfect goon sports car has a carbon fiber tub, 9lb wheels, and 200lbs of seat motors.

Edit: also is a station wagon.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Forgive the dumb question, but I see this a lot. Having never driven a RWD car for more than a brief period, is it really radically different?

You will barely notice it until you're at the point where you're actually breaking traction. But yeah (FWD) understeer is very instinctual/natural to correct on the fly, whereas oversteer tends to get worse if you apply those same 'natural' reactions.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Turbos have a bit more heat sink (by design as they are part of the exhaust system) which will slightly warm up the intake air, increase the chance of detonation but really I don't think it's that much more than a S/C practically. And you can always intercool.

But yeah 12.5 is way way past ideal for either.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

I'd prefer not to have the window open and heat blasting, thanks.

Look at this guy...

Windows down and heat blasting on a 40-50 degree day is probably the best thing about owning a car.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

leyton house posted:

I'd say that electronics are less susceptible to wear than fully mechanical systems.

Well, for AC systems specifically, you're still going to have pretty much the same amount of mechanical movement. In the 'digital' system, there's still motors that move the vents, as far as I know, it's impossible to change the dynamics of air flow in a completely electronic manner, but I could be wrong.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Do they really have electric motors that are lighter than a bowden cable + (plastic) slider these days? I won't explicitly call bullshit on that as I haven't been following these things closely, and the difference is probably miniscule, but can anyone really verify that?

E: I mean regarding AC flappers, I'm aware of the situation with the window regulators.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes of course they do. This is from a company that does Group N cars where the HVAC has to be in place - and is in fact NOT removed when you dont use them for Group N, the weight is gently caress all.

I guess that makes sense, my brain just can't conceptualize that, as a typical bowden cable is like 10 gauge(?) And probably weighs a couple ounces per foot. The lightest similar motor I had a weight reference for in my head was out of a newer honda, and was pretty hefty, though they probably don't care about weight in that application.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Turbochargers have one moving part in the entire system, and the simplest supercharger is going to have like 12 million parts [citation needed].

Although, the theme of this thread is goons preferring the more complicated options, so yeah supercharge.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

A supercharger requires 2 moving parts so.......

It also requires no intercooler, no exhaust mods and mounts very easily on a boxer. So actually simpler option

Pretty sure it's a lot closer to 12 million than 2.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

All that money spent on that M45 rebuild kit and they ripped me off something fierce apparently :(

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Willingness to take a 80mm hole saw to your car's radiator cowl is what separates the boys from the men :colbert:

Freehand.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Best things about the s chassis were extreme ease of repair/replacement (probably the most lego-y cars ever) and 99% of parts being interchangeable/modular.

Things new car buyers do not care about whatsoever!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

On the other hand, there's little reason to think that the current mustang won't depreciate pretty severely, if history tells us anything. Plus I'm pretty sure the car buying public still does, and will continue to do, the whole irrational :supaburn: IT'S A USED TOYOTA/SUBARU, I'VE HIT THE JACKPOT :supaburn: thing.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This car is on our schedule as coming in the 19th and leaving the same day for my work to take measurements. I'll try to sneak in a test drive if there's time. I have no idea if we're getting a production spec car or if I'll be messing with it at all. 75% of the time we pass on anything small, as we make a lot more money on minivans and crap, but we'll see.

The Toyota rep is this nice middle aged lady and she told me the car was, in fact, "very cute". Good news right there ya'll :v:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I think it's fair to say the r32 GTR planted the Japanese halo car seed. Wikipedia says they sold 44,000 r32 GTRs in five years, and those cars weren't cheap. I can't find a good source for the actual price was, I'm guessing $40-$60k in 90s money? Anyone?

We would probably still see them if the C5 Corvette (or even let's just say the ls1 engine) didn't go so far beyond everyone's expectations.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Toyota doesn't have a very good track record with using spring rates that aren't a complete joke on chassis that end in '86' though :v:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Smaller wheels are practically better at everything from a performance standpoint, the only reason to run larger wheels is to clear big brakes.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

You could have rods and pistons made from unobtanium and you'd still hit a wall pretty quickly at 12.5:1 on pump gas.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'm pretty entertained by this notion that Toyota is purposefully subverting auto journalists, let's even say on a company wide scale, except for one guy.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Scion Dealer:

Good luck scarring this fella!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

That reminds me, Japanese people have a really hard time doing the "br" sound. Bride seats? No sir. Buuriido seats.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I bet you a dollar they took off the LSD because of drifters.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The same problems that every sports car under about 50k has, lowest-common-denominator tuning. Ride quality soft and rolly enough to not discourage anyone on a test drive, ECU tuned around the assumption people will try to run the car on a half quart of oil for 3 years without changing it, hyper mileager tires, etc...

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The funner (*more depressing) comparison is the fact that Steve McQueen probably never took a corner in any car as fast as any 2012 car is capable of, no matter how beige. Tires used to be so, so, so bad.

I don't mind, and can be empathetic towards people who live in the breadbasket or wherever, with their dead straight grid roads as far as the eye can see, who put so much emphasis on drag race times. I've visited those places and it's 100% understandable. But that goes both ways, and it's pretty silly for anyone to not 'get' why someone prefers to wind out some gears to redline on a canyon road.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Toyota gives/gave lotttttssss of money to people who race Scion TC's, often throwing in a car as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I've always heard the rule of thumb is every 1000 feet, you should be able to run 2 less octane. But that has been the saying since before ethanol/DI/etc so who knows.

• Locked thread