Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

mobby_6kl posted:

I think someone in the other thread asked for a BRZ without the wing. Content-aware fill didn't really do it, but with a bit of aribrushing:

It's refreshing to see a concept like this make it, but I think I'll stick with the MX-5 for now.

This is the best looking new car I've seen in the past 5+ years. I don't even care about the stupid 4 exhaust tips and all that, this is a gorgeous looking car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

I am so pumped for this. I don't really give a poo poo about new cars but this one is really outstanding in design and philosophy. I hope there's a turbo version, because 250-275hp in this car sounds perfect.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Saw the Toyota "concept" at SEMA, it looks good in person. Seems quite small but it's tough to get a good feel in that environment.

Yeah, I've always found that the show lights and lack of real world road stuff nearby for comparison really throws me off at shows. The LFA looked huge on stage under the lights, and then when I got close I realized it was pretty drat small.

Also at 5'7" it could be half the size and I'd still have headroom :smug:

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

The 2+2 seating will probably be way too uncomfortable for adult humans (even short ones) but I like that track wheel setup. Throw a set of Impreza adjustable coilovers on there and you can drive your DD to the track, drop it 20mm and swap the wheels, and go bananas.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Autoblog's gallery of the BRZ concept at LA. Stick a fork in it put some door handles on it, it's done.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I want this car! but with 4wd and a v8 and four doors and made by bmw and actually a totally different car.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I'm glad they didn't change too much from concept to production. Although those clear taillights look pretty cheap IMO

hedge posted:

I know some Impreza owners like to coat their taillights with a thin coat of translucent red and I think that would suit this too. Also the stock wheels suck but hey, free set of winter wheels when you inevitably get a nicer set.

The price is pretty important but also the marketing direction they choose is going to be huge. Look at the Fiat 500, it's a superb supercompact, incredibly stylish and the only italian car on the market in the US, and it's suffering from a lovely ad campaign. The J-Lo ad is pathetic and not memorable at all, and there's no saturation even in the markets that would be predisposed to buying something like the 500.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I have waded through the poo poo of the ft86 forums so you don't have to! Voila:

I can't wait to see this in person in two weeks. It will be the star of an otherwise boring Chicago show.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

setting the over/under on people from this thread who claimed purchase intent to actually purchase one within 6 months of launch at 1.5

True but isn't that the case with all anticipated cars? "i will definitely buy thus, it looks perfect. Just going to wait for the turbo V8 option and AWD before I put down a deposit."

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I love this car but I don't know if I'll fit. I'm 4'9" and 90lbs, can I sit on phonebooks and tie blocks to my sneakers? Carseat chat :allears:

are those rear lights going to be on the US model? I didn't think we had rear fogs.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

japtor posted:

For even more of a change, one of the FR-S concepts from a while back:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/20/new-york-2011-scion-fr-s-concept-is-friggin-really-sweet/

Ready for a real blast from the past? I saved these silly renders years ago when all we had to go on was speculation and skepticism.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Mat_Drinks posted:

Well poo poo, I didn't think they'd be using the same paint.

Has Subaru by some chance improved their paint since 2008 so that it doesn't scratch if you look at it sideways? Not that I'm THAT up tight, but I babied the hell out of the 08 I had (clay barring, hand waxing, clear bra, always garaged) and after 11k it looked like it had seen 50k. In fact, my current VW actually has 50k and it's paint still looks better. :sigh:

Carbon fiber vinyl wrap, boom problem solved.

And yeah, slightly different suspension tuning but they're still basically the same.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
If/when there is a turbocharged version I'm sure it'll have low-comp pistons, problem solved.

Went to the Chicago auto show, saw the BRZ and FRS, couldn't sit in either despite my masculine wiles.

The autoshow lights overwhelmed my lovely phone camera, apologies for the bloom

Even though I convinced the very professional SLS minder to break out the keys for a couple minutes, the man and woman around the BRZ were impossible to persuade. "There's only three in the world! One here, one in Tokyo, and one somewhere else." Surprisingly few fanboys when I went, mostly just middle aged couples looking at the Foresters and Outbacks.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

You Am I posted:

Even though a few pages back an Aussie goon showed at least 10 BRZs parked at an unknown Australian dock ready for demo/press fleet.

No, I know it was utter bullshit. I was tempted to say, "Wow, three whole cars? In the world? And they're going on sale in late spring? THEY BETTER START MAKING EM, HUH??" But I didn't.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Man, when I drove the Golf R all I could think of was "34 K for this?" It didn't fix any of the problems that I had with the GTI and I really wanted to love it since I don't like flashy cars at all.

We went to check out the Golf R too, and I thought it was a sweet Golf but for $34-35k you would be crazy to buy it. Our TDI was more than 10k cheaper and even there you're pushing the value of the Golf vs. used. It's a cool car for sure but poo poo value.

I can't wait to see FRS and BRZ on the street, I hope they maintain their sales goals past the initial launch hype. Also completely unrelated, but the original BRZ concept shown last year had some loving awesome taillights, I'm sad they didn't make it to the production version.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would love it if they made my dash out of the hardest plastic on earth (but with a little bit of visual appeal) and instead spent the money on the things I actually touch like the steerin wheel and the shifter and the door handles.

I want every surface I touch to be made from Fisher Price plastic but the headliner must be whale penis leather.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

MATLAB 1988 posted:

How soon until forlorn Breezes with stretched out leather seats start showing up at Mustang V6 dealers because they're probably a bad daily driver, despite the glowing sponsored racetrack reviews? Just look at all the RX8's showing up at Billy Bob's KIA/Ford.

Toyota you fools, 6 cupholders in the FRS wasn't enough for the U.S. market. I eagerly anticipate the 2014 FRS, based on xB architecture.

Part of me hopes they are picked up by those kinds of people, to take the brunt of the first year depreciation. Also the RX-8 is a pretty bad daily for no reason other than the terrible fuel economy. In every other respect they're fine to DD.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That methodology is really transparent.

gently caress studies like that.

How can you tell without seeing the data/analysis technique?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:raise: that's exactly what I was complaining about?

Ah ok, I get it. Well I assume that if you mailed them they'd release the papers but they probably should have them available online anyways. I don't know if the IIHS has a good reputation for peer-reviewed papers or not.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Cream_Filling posted:

Thinking about, what you say might be right anyway. Insurance companies care about different things than academics do, and they can be a lot less rigorous or scientific about some things because the scope of stuff they care about is honestly much smaller, and they'd rather do quick-and-dirty statistics if it's cheaper that way since actually collecting the data and analyzing it at a certain point starts getting pretty expensive on its own. And that's not even getting into perverse incentives, etc., etc.

Also, I feel like oftentimes IIHS likes to obscure certain things for its own reasons, too. And I bet they restrict access to the real data.

It's this murky area where statistics meets economics. They charge what people will pay and what people have to pay, depending on state regulations. I'm in my 20s, never had an accident or even a speeding ticket, and own a 25 year old motorcycle worth practically nothing, and yet my insurance is over $2000 a year.

Also, firehawk, what's to stop you guys from buying new cars elsewhere? I assume there are huge import taxes but that sounds outrageous, I would just never buy a car if it was more than 35k USD, period.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Piano posted:

Some shop dyno'ed the BRZ shocks finally.

Looks very, very, very close to a WRX shock. Not much surprise there, not that I think they parts-binned it willy nilly or anything, but think of a ~15% softer WRX and that's pretty close to this (independent of a dozen other factors, but hey).

It's also between 432-655lbs lighter, but has smaller springs, so it might be stiffer.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Did that video really change anyone's mind? It just confirmed what we've been told over and over again: this car is built for fun, not speed, and it has low power compared to modern sports cars.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Cakefool posted:

So you refuse to drive anything with fuel injection?

I think the line should be drawn at "if you can't tell the difference, you can't complain." Drive a car blindfolded (somehow) and if you can't tell if it's DBW, or electric vs hydraulic power steering, or FI/carbureted, then you can't complain because you're just trying to convince yourself you like something better.

Also manual steering sucks, mk1 MR2s are fine at speed but really clunky in the parking lot.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

The Big Jesus posted:

Gonna have to cancel my preorder. Picked up a loaded 2011 135i with 5k miles for only 5k more than I was going to pay for the brz. Can't say no to that.

I love this car but you made the right choice. I want to buy new but I'm willing to wait a few years to see what happens with possible STi and aftermarket stuff.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's far too much risk involved to do anything other than a franchise model, unfortunately.

Also I believe in the US there are laws about how much control/influence the OEMs can have over dealerships. It's supposed to promote free market pricing but doesn't always work well.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

emoltra posted:

I spent some time over at Evolution Dynamics yesterday evening. We worked out a deal where I'd get some free parts if I let them take apart my car and make some measurements so they could develop products.

This is smart, very very smart.

I have never wanted a car as much as I want this one right now. I know I can't afford it but goddamn I would do some terrible, depraved things to have one. (anything but ruin my credit)

VV good on you, better to wait and be smart than rush in when you know you shouldn't. VV

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 7, 2012

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

emoltra posted:

Typical that a goon would get a GBS BRZ :haw:

I think that color is perfect (despite the lovely abbreviation that only matters to few). I think it's a perfect balance between the graphite and WRB colors. Kinda like the copper metallic on some older BMWs, it'll be rare but look a little more special.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

fknlo posted:

Oddly enough, the Golf TDI is probably what I'll fall back on if I don't like the car when I drive it or it's going to take longer to get than I want. It was surprisingly fun to drive and I really liked it.

That's what I drive now and I would sell it in a heartbeat for a BRZ. If you want 50+ mpg and four doors, get a TDI. If you want a BRZ/FRS, get it.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Saw my first FR-S/BRZ in the wild last night on my street. Surprised to see it on the south side instead of downtown or north side of Chicago. It was the ultramarine blue that I think is galaxy blue silica on the BRZ, looked loving awesome (although it does sound a little anemic).

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

MATLAB 1988 posted:

I also drive a much lighter Subaru Coupe that has 150 torquepower from 1.8 litres.

It takes Subaru 27 years to make a coupe with more displacement but less torque than its spiritual forefather? If that's not a healthy endorsement of the V6 Mustang, I don't know what is.

I don't know if you're serious or not, but if you are, the XT is worse handling, less reliable, less safe, less fuel efficient, and overall shittier. Also, chances that the car which made 143 ft*lbs when new 20 years ago is still making close to that: 0%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

ROFLBOT posted:

Yeah uh, that is a competition special built-to-order tarmac rally car that will liekly cost double or more the price of the standard car

It is not some limited edition "badges and wheels" mass-market model

nobody said it was? :confused:

• Locked thread