Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saga
Aug 17, 2009
The latest issue of EVO drove the BRZ against the Megane R-whateveritisnow, Zed and MX-5 and panned it (e: also separately against a Classic Turbo 2000). 3.5 stars out of 5, which is pretty damming coming from Evo.

Not that I'm planning to drop 25k on a new car, but will still be interested in trying a BRZ, assuming dealers get demo cars at some point. I'm thinking this might be another of EVO's Prius moments though, where the collective Zonda and 911 owners club that is the editorial staff (notwithstanding their claims of Panda ownership etc) doesn't understand why the target market will like the car.

For UK buyers at least, I think a sports car that works on lovely Primacies, has a restrained tax band, a trunk/boot and 4 seats (in the 924 sense of 4 seats) and doesn't wildly oversteer in the dry has an appeal that their editors may have missed.

Saga fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Idiot race posted:

What exactly did they criticise? Wierd realy seeing as most reviews have been fairly positive.

Yeah, as posted since basically complete lack of torque. That weight and a 200hp output should make it quick anywhere, but they called it gutless, saying it was constantly caught out on corner exit.

To me the blindingly obvious question was why it didn't seem to occur to them that this is what you get when you test a car (especially one with a bias towards top-end power) with a torque converter box. You're down ~10% immediately over the manual even if the shift logic is good, and presumably it carries a weight penalty.

Possibly more on point, they said it has too much grip. Basically the chassis setup + LSD generates huge grip at the back, even with the primacies, yet under braking the rubber up front can't cope. So unless the corners are very flowing, it's untidy on the way into the corner and then refuses to break grip on the exit.

Only way to deal with that is to break it loose on the entry and carry that through, but on the road even EVO reviewers didn't think you could be expected to do that safely on a regular basis.

Mind you, that's what I have to do with my N/A Impreza :( and it has to be said they're right, if the corner doesn't have a nice wide entry and exit (e.g. roundabouts) I'm hardly going to flick it in anyway and hope I don't end up in a ditch.

I think where they may have missed the point, as with Metcalfe's Prius hate, is that many UK enthusiast buyers don't want constant power oversteer in the dry, and might actually want a proper sports coupe that doesn't cost as much as the Zed and won't kill them on road tax, insurance or tyres. Oh, and they probably won't be stupid enough to buy the auto.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

DerDestroyer posted:

How much of a performance hit do you take if you get an automatic BRZ? Im disappointed we didn't get a dual clutch transmission. I know driving auto on a car like this is sacrilege but I am sick and tired of driving standard in Toronto traffic.

Not sure I get this one. If you buy an auto to drive in heavy traffic, you swap depressing the clutch occasionally for depressing the brake a lot. Or you put the auto in N, in which case you might as well have the stick and save your money. Any time I had to drive a rental while I was living in the US, it was infuriating because I ended up sat on the brake in traffic, especially with rush-hour jams. I would always end up just rowing the selector like a stick anyway to avoid having to do it.

Anyway, as I understand Cream_Filling, because the torque converter locks up fully in second and up, your driveline losses will apparently be similar to a manual outside of 1st gear. But, the auto apparently is higher geared and/or overdriven in 5th and 6th, so on a twisty road the lower-geared manual car may generate more useful oomph.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

sanchez posted:

Anyone who thinks manuals are better in traffic needs to drive one for an hour in traffic that is moving slower than stall speed in 1st. Riding the brakes is nothing compared to clutch in/out/in/out repeatedly to maintain an average of 3-5mph.

Yes, I still prefer the manual. I still find it 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other, plus 99% of the time you aren't in that situation and have to eat the disadvantages of a torque converter.

Of course now everything (in Europe) is growing some version of DSG like a tumour, so in future the torque converter and the conventional manual gearbox can be dispensed with and everyone can enjoy complicated, expensive transmission failures together!

e: godam power steerin! bah humbug

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Im glad you mentioned this because i wanted to explain how this ties into the toyobaru over the rest of AI. When the car was being hyped and previewed years ago i was led to believe that it was a barebones, purist "back to basics" car, right up until i saw a Television in the dash. Im over it i just wanted to explain that final thing.

Yeah, but like DV said, you could have bought a series 1 Elise (complete with spare K series head and cooling system) at any point? It's not like Lotus has stopped supporting them AFAIK.

Unpowered brakes are also fine on the road if the car is light enough and you aren't frail and 87 years old. See e.g. Seven replicas.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

DerDestroyer posted:

Still I can't complain. If you lived in Singapore you'd have to spend another 100k just to obtain the "certificate of entitlement" to have the right to own the car in the first place.

Also, if you tried to drive it round a corner the Traffic Police would hunt you down, hurl you naked into a freezing room and beat you with rubber hoses. In Canada you have to pay them extra for that kind of treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Calidus posted:

I have a 2013, I haven't actually looked at the manufacturing date on it. Shifting into second when the car hasn't had 5 to 10 minutes to warm up can be pretty terrible. Being notchy is one thing but sometimes this goes significantly past notchy and makes it difficult to actually move the shifter into 2nd. I guess I need to make a schedule a service visit with the dealer?

I am probably just being BRZ-ignorant here, but this sounds like what the EJ20 will do with the wrong choice of transmission oil - and what my EJ20 in particular did when I changed the gear oil before reading up first.

Have people tried using the aftermarket "known-good" solutions for the old Impreza/Legacy?

• Locked thread