Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm probably far too large to fit, but i sat comfortably in a lancer evo recently, so i guess i'll hold out hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is what a Powershift looks like in an FD RX-7

(no, that door couldn't close.)

but i fit comfortably apart from the leg bolsters in the lancer evo x.

Also, it seems to me we need a big and tall auto topic here, because it would be interesting to learn from other people's experiences about what i could fit in. Most of what i figure i can fit in is based on clarkson being 6'5 and fat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dschingis Khan posted:

Like this?

The camo must really hide those hips.

They should make dresses for fat girls out of that pattern.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Car and driver in general seem pretty down on the car, but if their facts there are correct, this will not end well.

167.1L x 72.8W x 51.8H x 100.4 wheelbase for the 370z
166.7L x 69.9W x 56.1H x 101.2 wheelbase for the BRZ
188.1L x 73.9W x 55.6H x 107.1 wheelbase for the current stang

The base 370z is 3232 LBs with it's aluminum hood and doors and such, and this car is going to be about the same size. Taller than a mustang and only a 6" shorter wheelbase, it could easily be 3000lbs. After driving it and talking to the subaru people, C&D estimated it at 2800-2900lbs and $28,000. 150 ft/lbs of torque won't move the car in an entertaining enough fashion to be only $3,000 less than the 370z, and $6,000 more than the V6 mustang or 2.0T genesis.

quote:

To hold down cost, the AS1 will be welded from plebeian materials: steel, mainly,  except for the aluminum hood. The Impreza-derived suspension consists of coil-over struts in front and a three-link rear suspension, also in steel and with cast-iron knuckles. The Subaru FB20 2.0-liter, four-cylinder boxer uses Toyota’s D4S dual port- and direct-injection technology.

The same physical size as a 370, and using steel and cast iron where the 370 uses aluminum. Also, it's a notchback, not a hatchback, meaning the trunk opening is going to be as comically small as the camaro's.

I hope they release some hard facts on the car at some point, you think they'd have some of it nailed down considering the car is supposed to be months away from production.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 26, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The height definitely has to be a misprint.

This is lining them up to the 17" wheels. and it's within 3ish inches of the wheelbase as well.

I would still put money on this being a 2900lb car. I'm sure the goal was 2500, but for the american market i'd bet they would have to put no less than 200lbs of airbags in it. Add that to the cost savings of cast iron, and, well...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This puts the length and wheels pretty much on the dot, but the wheelbase is about 9" apart, probably as close as i'll get

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A5H posted:

Toyota version to be called simply the "86". Kinda cool.

do we want to start taking bets on how long it takes for a factory panda paint job?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not as toned down as i expected, i am impressed.

quote:

This four-cylinder “boxer” unit generates 197bhp at 7,000rpm and maximum torque of 205Nm at 6,600rpm

gently caress that poo poo with a shovel, 151 ft/lbs of torque at 6600rpm. that's going to be painfully slow.

edit: i wonder of the US version is going to be detuned from 12.5:1 compression, or if you're going to have to run premium to keep it in one peice.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 27, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A5H posted:

E: Also camo'd up version they raced. Anyone care to educate me on the vert in the background? Guessing new MR2? :stare:

i don't want to incite a panic, but it has the mirrors and windshield shape of the 86. 86 vert teaser?

it's this...thing http://gazoo.com/racing/english/grmn/carlist/cardetail_shc2.asp

quote:

The three-meter instrument cluster is arranged around a large tachometer, its design benefiting from close attention to the positioning of the displays, markings and typeface. The result is the best possible visibility and readability. The driver-focus of the cockpit is further reinforced by the carbon-effect trim, all-black roof lining, red stitching on the upholstery, aviation-style rocker switches and lightweight, aluminum pedals.

Ohhhhh, all-black roof lining. sporty.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 27, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Viper915 posted:

What are they trying to imply with the fire extinguisher picture? :crossarms:

ferrari inspired performance?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=CC-FT86II-landing

Teaser site is up, says 1180kg or 2600lbs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

4,240mm (167 in.) long, 1285mm (50.6 in.) high, 2,570mm (101 in.) wide

Yup, the magazine had it goofed. It's shorter than the 370Z.

You goofed as well, it doesn't have a perfectly square wheelbase. :P

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

test drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPeHaDb36PM

man, i love how fast the internet moves.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Muffinpox posted:

I wonder if the scion model will get a TRD supercharger option?

12.5:1 stock compression, i don't think it will take much boost.

quote:

Practical cars that are easy to drive and that do not break easily. These are standard Toyota cars. The 86 is not a car like that.

I hope he's not suggesting it will break easily!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's almost ridiculously fast to the point where holding that against other cars is stupid. If that's the bar nothing clears it, so if all you care about is price to performance ratio you shouldn't even be looking at anything else anyways.

I actually think the gas mileage is going to be what makes or breaks this thing. If they can sell it as an efficient fun runabout - similar size and fuel economy as the CRZ but with a back seat and a much nicer drive - I think it'll work.

Its competition is going to be more like the CRZ, Veloster, Mini, Miata (sorta,) that kind of thing.

This is from FT86 club, translated from the toyota press package

The numbers for the other cars are almost dead on the US EPA's highway mileage. so 28-30mpg highway. It should be capable of probably 21-22mpg city.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That legroom.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

The fine text says the numbers are preliminary and subject to change on the FRS microsite. On top of that, they posted 200hp, not 197. Worst of all though, they wouldn't cop to whatever this thing weighs. TELLLL USSSS

Even if they do tell us, they could give dry weight like ferrari. It won't be long before somebody gets the drat thing on a scale and ends that question.

press release posted:

"We all know that it's not hard to make horsepower and torque, but it is hard to do all that and still achieve impressive fuel economy," Hollis said. "The FR-S accomplishes all three."

heh, too easy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

These are Canadian prices, right? Right?

If those are US prices, then by the time the "gently caress You, Canada" surcharge is applied, it'll be a really hard sell up here.

Remember, the Honda s2000 was 52 grand up here. Thats why every used one you see for sale came from the states. I think the 370z is still close to 40 out the door.

Edit: base msrp for the 370z is 41k Canadian. Id this car ends up at 25k in the states, it will easily be over 30 here

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 18, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

I don't get the "not comparable with Mustang and Camaro" line of thought. They're very comparable, especially if the price pushes into GT/SS territory. The average consumer is going to see a group of RWD sporty coupes. This one is smaller and lighter than the others but they have FOUR HUNDRED HORSEPOWER!

I know they're aimed at enthusiasts, but if that's all that's buying them they won't last very long. Especially when a good chunk of the people interested in them can't/won't buy them new and will wait till they hit the used market. That's not a recipe for success.

The mustang exists on an island. Its not comparable to the 3 series because it matches performance but not price. Its not comparable to the brz because it matches price but not performance., its not comparable to the 370z because it matches price and performance but had too many seats. The only cars anybody would cross shop it with are the Camaro and challenger.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

I know the Subaru has the steering wheel controls, do those come in on the Scion as well?

Doesn't look like it, not on the base model at least

edit: I don't seem them on the subaru either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Going to the Calgary car show tomorrow. Hopefully either Subaru or Scion will allow people to actually sit in the car.

I'm going tomorrow too, you distract them while i try to wedge my fat rear end into it.

MiniFoo posted:

If it's anything like the Twin Cities Auto Show, don't count on it. :smith:

You would think by now they would have production versions on the show circuit. the car is supposed to hit lots inside of 3 months

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 15, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They didnt have the keys on the show floor, but the cars werent behind ropes so you cound dry hump through the clearcoat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With a sports car comes sacrifice. With the 370z you sacrifice being able to haul people or things. With the mustang you sacrifice maneuverability.

With the BRZ, you sacrifice the ability to keep up with an f-150 in a strait line.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

I wonder what flaws the Evo and STI have by this logic. Closest I can think of is that they are based on lower market cars?

Understeer?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

They talked about 1:1 in 4th like it was a bad thing - I can see having two cruising gears being advantageous for fuel economy, but is performance going to suffer in that setup?

Not with a 4.10 rear. The 31mpg mustang has a 2.73 rear, and the performance package v6 mustang has 3.31s

Here is the automatic in red and the manual in blue

and the automatic brz in red and the automatic 3.31 mustang in blue

Interestingly, the automatic BRZ will hit 64mph in second gear, and might out-benchrace the manual.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Isizzlehorn posted:

Really quite happy with that, it falls slightly below my low-balled expectations for the typical CDN markup. They obviously don't want this shopped from across the border.

quote:

Note that freight is NOT included as with all scions listed on the site. Standard freight from scion is $1495 so the base model will be $27,485 (manual) BEFORE taxes (thx Scion FR-S)

Also, the car is being built in japan, meaning even if you were to buy it in the states, you would have to pay 6.1% duty. Ford, recognizing they have no competition at 22 grand raised the 2013 V6 mustang base price from $21,249 to $23,999, or 25,599 after destination.

I guess that makes sense since hyundai raised the price of the 2.0T genesis to $26,499. with the base V6 genesis coupe getting bumped to(sit down, americans) $36,999, or at todays exchange rate, $37,102 USD

Looks like we're heading back to a 60 cent dollar everybody!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

That's the convertible.

:downsrim:

But then the roof would retract every time it gets cold.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dyne posted:

I can't see that as working very well, as they'll just drive potential subaru drivers to scion

Does scion have rules against their dealers being complete scum?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Why is the Miata in the Mini Sports Models class but the Saturn Sky is in the Small Sports Models class? I know the Sky/Solstice weigh a good bit more than the Miata, but still.

For similar reasons as to why the bentley continental is a subcompact, and the rolls royce phantom coupe is a compact.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/best-worst.shtml

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

10000lbsofbananas posted:

Canadian BRZ Pricing announced:

http://www.autos.ca/general-news/subaru-brz-canadian-pricing-announced

I wonder if we'll have that stupid dealership markup here as well.

I had the chance to sit in an FRS for about 30 seconds at a meet last night in Toronto. Some thoughts:

- Seating position was comfortable, though I felt a bit too low to the ground. I didn't want to adjust the seat because it wasn't my car and I hate it when people move mine.
- Plenty of heel/toe room.
- Clutch pedal was a bit more to the right from where I rest my foot to what I'm used to.
- Shifts were short with this very nice mechanical bolt action feel. Hard to describe. I think I like my Rx8's feel more but this was close and still enjoyable.
- Interior was a bit boring styling wise (though it was a bit dark in the parking lot)
- Back seats had no leg room, I wouldn't even think of using them
- Space in the trunk was limited, won't be able to fit any tall objects. I don't even think you could even stack two of its wheels in there unless you took out the floor.

That's before delivery, for which subaru charges $1,695 canadian. so the final price before tax would end up at about 29k even. $1,800 cheaper than a miata, $13,000 cheaper than a 370z, and 14,500 cheaper than the rx-8 was.(lol)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

My conclusion: It looks fine. Also the interior on the redesigned Scion tC (the second to last pic here) looks like total rear end in comparison.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but those are radio controls on the scion steering wheel, you can see the cruise control on the stalk in the bottom right.

linked for bigger:

edit: oops, didn't mean to get peoples hopes up, that appears to be a scion TC interior.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 23, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

The tC just made no sense whatsoever, in my opinion. As best as I can tell, I was the target demographic, and it didn't even rate a test drive when I was looking for a car. Why would any sane person buy a FWD, fairly underpowered coupe? It doesn't have handling, it doesn't have power, and it doesn't have practicality. At most, it was a slightly interesting looking car for not too much money. That was it. It's reasonably heavy for what it is, and its fuel economy is poo poo.

Scion became too focused on image, and not enough on anything that makes cars worthwhile to buy. Hopefully the FR-S represents the start of a turnaround. Sadly, the only thing it represents to the main market of people who would buy FR-Ss is a history of poor decisions and failure.

Not everybody cares about having rear wheel drive or the best handling or the most power or the most practicality. There are reasons you see tiburons, altima coupes, accord coupes and monte carlos everywhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Yes... the Tiburon was sold before the GenCoupe was released for a small amount more. Altima and Accord Coupes have a lot more than 180bhp, if I'm not mistaken, not that I don't think those are poor choices as well.

I just don't understand compromising on power, handling, fuel economy and practicality. You should be able to get at least one or two of those for a reasonable price if you're in the financial position to buy a new car. Even the pre-2011 Mustang V6 had a significant amount of additional horsepower.

The $23,780 nissan altima coupe has 175hp, if you want the 270hp v6, you're spending $28,710(and that's in the states, i don't have the stomach to look it up for canada)
The $$23,080 honda accord coupe has 190hp, if you want the 271hp v6, you're spending $30,030

So you get 175-190hp for v6 mustang money, and 270-271hp for 5.0 money, and these cars still sell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Do they sell, though? Usually the manufacturers like to report combined sedan + coupe numbers, so I can't say, but I certainly don't see many around.

used 08+ accords on cars.com, there are 16267 accords, of those, 13944 are sedans, 1752 are coupes, so over 10%. of those 1752 coupes, 1185 of them are the i4.

07+ altimas on cars.com, 21270 cars, 1755 coupes, 1271 of those are the i4.

So they obviously sell, the majority of coupe sales being the i4.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ziploc posted:

Inside line wrote that Subaru tuned in more understeer into the BRZ since their customers are used to AWDs tendency to push.

Thoughts?

They said the only difference is softer springs and stiffer dampers in the scion. It wouldn't be too hard to change if you wanted it either way around.

On the plus side, it does mean most BRZs will hit front end first, and most scions will hit rear end end first, so you can piece together a complete car out of the junkyard at the end of the day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Nobody is cross shopping a Must.... oh god drat it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3hgleEOXA

So basically what we anticipated, more of a precise drivers car but still unable to overcome the power advantage in the numbers game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I can't wait to see what happens when people start swapping out for 225 or 235 width Pilot Super Sports or other similar summer tires.

Bogging. The term "no low end torque" is thrown around a lot.

quote:

Between this and the BestMotoring tests I think its safe to say now this is not a 7sec 0-60, 15sec 1/4 car it was being made out to be, which is a bit of a relief.

Yes, it is. You're not going to do 4600rpm clutch dumps all the time. It is a 7 second 0-60 and 15 second 1/4 mile car, but most of the world considers that quick. It's not a drag car, it will only match F-150s light to light, but that's missing the entire point of the car.

This is the type of car you buy only for you. Most american car enthusiasts won't be the least bit impressed with it. There's a long list of quicker cars in the price range. But it is probably the only car that you can take to it's limits without breaking laws or drawing attention.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ppp posted:

Please explain how softer tires will result in the engine bogging down. Also I have no idea how you believe that it is possible to take any modern automobile to its limits without breaking the law, and in the case of this car, drawing attention.

It takes a lot more torque to move the car than it does to spin the tires. if the tires weren't spinning, the engine would have a harder time working through the rev range.

And take for example a mountain road with a 60mph speed limit. The limit of a higher performance car with stickier rubber would be around 70mph, the limit of the brz would be 60mph, and you could take the car to it's limit within the speed limit, and without squealing tires.

emoltra posted:

100 more horsepower and :siren:1.5 seconds:siren: faster than the BRZ on a track. How loving awful, they really shamed Subaru in that test.

1.5 seconds is pretty huge on a 1.8 mile lap, on willow springs that's 10+ car lengths. There's really no need to get defensive about this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Possum Launcher posted:

Not even. The Mustang was 1.23 seconds faster, which is only about 1.5% faster with a 50% power advantage. To me, that means the BRZ made up a huge amount of ground with either cornering ability or driver confidence, probably some of each. That sounds like a win to me.

Wait, let me put my racing helmet on.

yeah, a win by -1.23 seconds. it made up ground by falling behind, a total win.

By comparison, The v6 mustang was only 1.42 seconds behind the BMW m3 which has 109 more horsepower when driven by the same driver . To me, that means the mustang made up a huge amount of ground with either cornering ability or driver confidence, probably some of each.

So one can conclude, if the BRZ wins against the mustang, and the mustang wins against the M3, the BRZ must win easily against the m3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ROFLBOT posted:

That sure is an odd way of looking at things- a car that does better than expectations even with a poor launching technique, and yet that counts for nothing?

Unless you're suggesting it can only be idled off the line, which last time I checked, was not how performance runs were done...

What it will do in real life is an odd way to look at a car? Have you ever dropped the clutch at 4600rpm in anything you own?

edit: you are aware there's middle ground between idling out and 5k clutch dumps. look at the way they launch the mustang in the comparison video. You're arguing over 2/10ths of a second in a scenario this car is never going to win at.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 4, 2012

• Locked thread