Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Brigdh posted:

I thought corollas and a couple other basic Toyotas were made here.

and the highlander, which toyota is actually going to export to Russia and Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Ziploc posted:

Ugh. gently caress that FR-S center stack. lovely red clock, bulbous audio... blech.

The clock looks the same as in the brz, and the head unit is a double din so you can put whatever you want in it? It seems like this is better than 90% of the entire market now.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Apparently Vorshlag and a few others have had their way with measuring a display model. At the risk of being a jerk, here's what they had to say (emphasis mine):

Wikipedia says the e36 m3 coupe is 67.3" wide. If that's measuring from the middle of the tires then it doesn't sound like the brz is actually wider than the m3 at all. And if the two cars are measured the same, then it's still only an inch wider. And with the tires, they are still about as wide as the stock ones that came on an e36 m3, so it really sounds like he's just complaining that the car isn't the track special he wanted.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

You Am I posted:

Google Chrome says it is a scam site

try this one http://proj4.boxer.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html

I'd guess that it's a mockup and they aren't going to spend money for a ssl cert that won't be used.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Internet Explorer posted:

On a PDF? Yeah, I don't think so.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pdf+0day

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
Doesn't power folding just depend on the implementation of the mirror adjustment? My e36 has the sport mirrors and I'm pretty sure the mirror moves around in the housing, yet on my parent's e39 the entire thing moves (it also has a curb check function where it dips way down)

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

emoltra posted:

My dad restores mustangs. He has a 68 GT500 convertible and a Sunbeam Tiger autographed by Carroll Shelby himself in addition to at least one or two 60's Mustangs constantly in flux. I've been to many Mustang / Shelby meets and have driven a handful of Mustangs around a track. I don't think they're lovely cars but to say "nope, gonna go buy a base model Mustang instead" is loving retarded.

Most "car guys" value handling and track performance above all else. The V6 Mustang may have 100 more horsepower but you're not going to see it in the autocross charts like you will the FT-86s which are showing all signs of being the next 'win button' car. 100 horsepower doesn't make a whole lot of difference -- that's not going to get used on the highway, and even if it's more powerful it's also a lot heavier and won't handle nearly as well. So if you're going to buy it to go drag race or something, uh... have fun and enjoy your 14 second quarter miles.

Also, I'd like to put it out there that I'm literally the only person in this thread that has driven a BRZ before. :smug:

- ~*~fashion whore~*~

Ok but I was able to build a 2013 Mustang v6 online for $24,990 with the performance package ($2k) and it should be similar than the 2011 version that car and driver loved at their lightning lap at vir.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, if you were able to touch the windshield easily from your seat, then that means that it's likely your head will be able to touch it in a crash, which is a Bad Thing.

I guess it's a good thing I wear my seatbelt then.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Powershift posted:

Bogging. The term "no low end torque" is thrown around a lot.

Yes, it is. You're not going to do 4600rpm clutch dumps all the time. It is a 7 second 0-60 and 15 second 1/4 mile car, but most of the world considers that quick. It's not a drag car, it will only match F-150s light to light, but that's missing the entire point of the car.

This is the type of car you buy only for you. Most american car enthusiasts won't be the least bit impressed with it. There's a long list of quicker cars in the price range. But it is probably the only car that you can take to it's limits without breaking laws or drawing attention.

Please explain how softer tires will result in the engine bogging down. Also I have no idea how you believe that it is possible to take any modern automobile to its limits without breaking the law, and in the case of this car, drawing attention.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

emoltra posted:

100 more horsepower and :siren:1.5 seconds:siren: faster than the BRZ on a track. How loving awful, they really shamed Subaru in that test.

http://willowspringsraceway.info/page.php?id=31 From the looks of the track the BRZ would get beaten a lot worse on a track with more than one straightaway.

edit:

Powershift posted:

It takes a lot more torque to move the car than it does to spin the tires. if the tires weren't spinning, the engine would have a harder time working through the rev range.

And take for example a mountain road with a 60mph speed limit. The limit of a higher performance car with stickier rubber would be around 70mph, the limit of the brz would be 60mph, and you could take the car to it's limit within the speed limit, and without squealing tires.

1.5 seconds is pretty huge on a 1.8 mile lap, on willow springs that's 10+ car lengths. There's really no need to get defensive about this.

Sorry if I didn't make this clear but it seems absurd to me to consider how much more my engine would bog down if I switched to softer tires. If it is indeed a problem then I'd suggest using either the clutch or gas more.

As for your mountain road example, keep in mind that not only is it a very poor decision to drive a car at or near its limits on a public road, it could very well be illegal due to road conditions or basically the will of whatever police officer catches you. If it's snowing and you can't see the hood of your car, if you go the posted speed limit you will probably die.

ppp fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 4, 2012

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Possum Launcher posted:

Not even. The Mustang was 1.23 seconds faster, which is only about 1.5% faster with a 50% power advantage. To me, that means the BRZ made up a huge amount of ground with some combination of lighter weight, cornering ability and driver confidence. That sounds like a win to me.

Power doesn't work that way, the car isn't immediately 50% better or even 50% faster. To add to that you aren't accelerating while breaking or turning, and the extra weight, higher center of gravity and less amount of effort/money put into the suspension means that the BRZ should have more of an advantage on a slow speed track with a bunch of turns. But it didn't and it got beat, so I don't really know what you are expecting to come out of this, because the BRZ will get demolished on a faster track.

edit:

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I think it would have been more interesting on the Autoclub Speedway roval. It shows them doing straight line and g-force testing there, why did they drive out to willow springs? The speed limiter on the mustang would kill its lap times there. Autoclub Speedway probably wants moneys.

The track is "Streets of Willow Springs," which is a much smaller track that has a longest straight of 1000' and an entire size of 1.8 miles. Compare this to Willow Springs proper that has a 1/2 mile straightaway.

ppp fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 4, 2012

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

DerDestroyer posted:

It boils down to me wanting a car that looks nice and drives nice. In Canada at the price point I'm looking at that meant getting a VW. The BRZ might actually come out cheaper/the same as what I'd pay for a VW which is why its on my list. So I'm wondering if it's worth sacrificing some of the luxury features and relatively crisp (yet boring) streamlined interiors of VW for a nicer looking BRZ.

I'm looking for a mixture of solid build quality, exciting driving experience, a car that feels firm and "planted" on the road, feedback from the car that makes me feel like I'm involved in the driving experience, enough power to be able to at least merge swiftly on highways or pass people in between lanes, good looks and some minor practicality for everyday chores.

The Golfs are practical while providing some excitement while driving but look boring and the BRZ looks great but loses some of the luxury and practicality. It's a tough choice for me.

If you can't decide yourself then I'd flip a coin. Also maybe you should consider the Ford V6 Mustang because that fits your vague description as well.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I personally would be ok with a hand crank, but i'm not seeking it out. Cars need too much power, too many accessories and too high compression these days and i doubt i could even turn a modern engine over. I have batshit opinions simply because i was involved in aircraft long before cars so my notions of "controlling a vehicle" involve little things you dont see in cars like manifold pressure and manual fuel mixture, you dont get much more involved in the control in any other vehicle. I like that. So getting in a toyota camry just annoys me as so what the hell i'm supposed to do and how people could desire to be so lazy about the business of driving. In the same way a manual enthusiast bemoans the lack of involvement of a traditional automatic, i on some level desire everything to be run with cables and vacuum lines. Personal preference and all that.

Im so loudmouth about it because while someone with opinions other than mine are being served with plenty of vehicles, in 10 years i wont be able to buy anything that i could tolerate/enjoy, even used. I dont expect others to agree, i just one one car out of several thousand to be simple and analog. Ill have to import a Egyptian Lada or something

Well ok, but this is a thread for a modern sporty car, not a steam-powered jalopy. Maybe look into train simulators on the PC instead?

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Im glad you mentioned this because i wanted to explain how this ties into the toyobaru over the rest of AI. When the car was being hyped and previewed years ago i was led to believe that it was a barebones, purist "back to basics" car, right up until i saw a Television in the dash. Im over it i just wanted to explain that final thing.

So you thought that barebones meant that you would have to crank start the car and hulk out whenever you want to park? "Back to basics" meant that they used small, sporty, and light cars like the 2000gt and MR2 as a basis for design, not a Model T. If you seriously think that having a "Television" in the dash detracts from the overall sporty nature of the car then you aren't seeing the forest for the trees and you are trying to use some stupid true scotsman argument for how you are the purest car owner of them all.

Like I said, if you want to pull levers, push buttons, and stoke a fire to start your car, I'd look into train simulators. Maybe there is one that is compatible with the Kinect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

No i did not, nor did i expect unpowered brakes or any other foolishness like that. I was holding out for a stripper model with unpowered steering, but no more than that. (i feel like im going in circles)

Oh, so instead of something foolish you wanted something stupid that would result in an objectively worse car that is harder to sell.

• Locked thread