Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
This is probably an annoyingly vague question, but how have you guys been enjoying your Toyobarus? My beloved Mini is getting a little long in the tooth, and a BRZ/FRS is the main contender to replace it if I do. Do we know if any changes are being planned for the next model year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. The cons are sounding a lot like the mini (gas, mileage, long tips), which is a little comforting. Now need to just get a dealer to give me a test drive...

When do new model years come out, later this year?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

The Scion dealers didn't seem to give a poo poo about giving a test drive. I even walked to the dealer when I went for one. I can't speak to the Subaru dealers. 2014s are expected in September/October.

Yeah, the local Subaru place has pretty much the exact car I'd want. I went by today and while I got to sit in it (very nice), they were requiring a credit check to do a test drive. I'll check to see if there are any FRSes around.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Thanks guys I'm now in love with a bright red FRS they let me drive. And I thought I loved the WRC blue BRZ... drat these things sound great.

Is there a practical reason to go Subaru or Scion, or is it just a function of deals?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

fag magnet posted:

That color scheme would look great on an exige, but it looks terrible on the brz. Maybe it's the wheelbase?

I think it'd look better if the whole car was that color green (which I do think would be awesome). But bright green plus not-neon blue isn't an ideal combination. The WRC gold wheels might work, but the form of the Toyobaru doesn't really strike me as one that takes multiple colors well; it's a little too... subdued?

I went ahead and joined the club yesterday. Bright red FRS :toot:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sigma X posted:

I have seen more FT/BRZs in the three weeks since I moved to the Raleigh-Durham area than I did in all the time before. The same thing also holds true for Porsches. What's going on here?

Speaking as one of them, lots of young professionals with money to burn. And the local dealerships seem to be getting a bunch in stock. The FRS I got was one of three at the dealer, and the Subaru place in Chapel Hill also has three sitting around.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

All I had to do to test my FRS was ask, but the Subaru place wanted a credit check... the guy there said they were getting a lot of people that wanted to drive but not to buy, and they didn't want to put too many miles on the BRZs.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

First road trip with the FRS and this thing keeps surprising me. 350 miles a leg, at 36mpg each way (was at 38 on the first half of the way back), which is exactly where the last car was at. And other than that lack-of-lumbar-support support it's a pretty good grand tourer. Maybe my last car was a noisy gently caress, but I don't know what you guys mean by this thing being too loud, it's beautifully quiet when cruising :colbert:

For those of you that have ditched the standard tires, how's that affected your mpg?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Rabble posted:

However they're also mostly pointless as you'll get the same (if not more) benefit from a drop in filter. I had a K&N filter for a few months before installing my TRD intake and they're pretty much similar in my opinion.

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Is it just a matter of opening the box and sticking the filter in?

Edit: Does a different filter cause that computer tantrum you were having, or do you think that was the whole new intake?

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 16, 2013

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Rabble posted:

The computer tantrum was the ECU reset, which I highly recommend you do even just installing a drop in filter. Unhook the negative battery terminal for like 5 minutes. The computer will have to retrain itself and the gas pedal will get about a half inch of dead space for about a week or 100 miles. But afterwards it'll drive at 100% potential.

Installing a drop in filter is slightly more complicated than just popping it in. You need to unscrew the whole assembly to get a good seal. Search for my DIY on the FT86club forums (username is the same) I'd link it but I'm on my phone

Cool beans. Looks like I might have my first DIY automotive upgrade.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

BT works fine with my fancy Scion radio and an iphone (certainly better than the Alpine I put in my last car). But what I don't get it why they don't let you play and control device music through their companion app :psyduck: It would have at least made a half-assed nav system at least somewhat usable.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

bonzaisushi posted:

I know exactly how you feel, 17's look a bit to small but i feel like 18's will be a bit to big. I've never owned a car that has been this stressful to mod.

I may just not be the modding type, but I kinda take that as a sign that perhaps Toyobaru got the design of everything just right (seriously, the stock wheels are great). Maybe if someone set out to design wheels specifically for the 86...

bonzaisushi posted:

Mother of god...

Honestly... if the ride height was stock I'd take everything I just said back.

Edit: Oh man, I wonder if some fuchs would fit...
Edit2: Guess not :smith:

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 20, 2013

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

They're great for hooning around at pretty safe speeds. If you do any frequent track or autocrossing you'll probably want stickier stuff, but if all you really do is take advantage of empty parking lots they're a blast (along with being pretty nice regular street tires).

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

I think the non-sticky tires help with good MPG too. :)

Yeah, I was surprised about that. I was expecting 1-2mpgs lower than my previous car (smaller engine and supercharged) but I'm actually getting 0.5-1 more.

OldPueblo posted:

The updated head unit is actually a very nice upgrade as well. Responsive, voice control aka "call wife at mobile", etc.

You mean the fancy touch-screen one? It's pretty cool (and bluetooth music is great), but I wish the companion app didn't suck so hard... a great idea executed poorly.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

I think they're missing the point of a test drive. I get that this particular vehicle could be abused during test drives, but that seems easily avoided by laying down ground rules like telling them to follow the break-in rules (stay under 4k, etc) and being with them in the car. I had the same thing happen at a Subaru dealership and then test drove a Scion that day.

The Subaru place that wanted a credit check before giving me a test drive essentially said it was because they were tired of people with no intent to buy the car test driving it and clocking up miles on it. Oddly enough they seemed to be having troubles selling it (I had been watching it for awhile on the sidelines). But then I found the local Scion place had a few and were happy to give me a drive and, long story short, the next day I was an FRS owner.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I have to say, I'm having some impure thoughts about those wheels. Almost as good as the ones on the 991.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Is there any data on how the engine upgrades (whether FI or NA) affects fuel economy? I could see myself getting an upgrade in a few years once the warranty dries out, but I rather enjoy the MPGs I'm currently getting (I must be becoming a real adult...)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

GutBomb posted:

I actually love the stock rims...

Glad I'm not the only one.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Whelp I guess I bought my car too soon

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Elite Taco posted:

woot, 2^7!

It's always unduly bothered me why a float display maxes out at a signed byte...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

In my manual I usually get 28-29 combined with around 2/3rds of each tank being highway. Much better than I was expecting. I haven't had a chance to see if that's changed now that winter gas has (presumably) arrived.

subx posted:

Eh, not really. It divides the fuel usage over the refresh period (like 2 seconds I think?), and uses a integer value for both portions of the display. Either that, or someone just capped it at that number as a funny thing for programmers to laugh at.

Depending on the system, Floats can be unreliable, so there's no way to tell what they are actually using to get the number and display it. Also the display could only recognize ints, so you have to seperate it into two whole numbers before and after the decimal.

But then why the unsigned byte? Why not 256? Or 999.9? Is it really 1270 done with just integer division? But 1270 is an awfully weird number. And why no estimated miles remaining? :psyboom:

There probably is no reason

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

World Rally Blue :3:

I was there, too, until I saw mine in Firestorm :fap:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Technically (maybe even legally, but I'm not sure on that) you're supposed to apply the handbrake and keep it in gear , since if the handbrake fails being in gear will probably keep it stationary. First or reverse gear for the greater mechanical advantage against gravity. At my apartment I park on a pretty good hill facing up, so I tend to leave it in reverse but don't release the clutch until the car's rested on the handbrake, but that's probably a level of anal not really needed in most cases.

efb :arghfist:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I'd hate to derail the lovely argument you guys have going on (you're all wrong and should be ashamed), but maybe someone could help me out. I saw a BRZ driving around with a spoiler that wasn't a wing but kinda looked like an extension of the natural lip the edge of the trunk has. Any ideas what it might be, or was I imagining it?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's a few duckbill spoilers out there. I'd rock this one.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18587

That may actually be what I saw. Thanks.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

When replacing the head unit, are you guaranteed to lose use of the installed USB and audio jack, or is it possible to save them?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

GutBomb posted:

I installed a new head unit in mine and used one of these for the USB. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_61468_Axxess-AX-TOYUSB.html

How does that work, grey bit to the external jack, male USB to the head unit? I'm kinda sorta looking at an AppRadio, and from pictures it's got an USB female cable coming out from it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Yeah gray bit to the built in usb port, then that $50 pioneer usb cable to the unit. If your unit has a usb port on it you just run the male USB from the schosche adapter directly to it.

Note if you're using Android you'll need a more complicated cable with a Vga adapter and you'll want to run it through the glove box.

I'll add that appradio ends up being pretty disappointing BTW. It's a cool feature that really just ends up falling flat.

That's what has stayed my hand so far. I've got the bespoke thing, and while the idea of being able to run gps on my phone through the head unit is a great idea, their execution is utter crap. Everything else is decent enough. I'd love to be able to run Waze or something through the head unit, but if that's really worth $350-400...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Having come from a little car with near perfect visibility all around, the blindspots were (and are) big problems I have, but I've eventually come to grips with trusting the mirrors and it's not bad. The rear window's not the big problem, it's the C pillars and those side "windows" that really get me, but, well, sports car.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Powershift posted:

At least one a week goes through the local salvage auction here. Strangely it's always the scion, rarely the br-z

Scions are driven by old people and yobbos, and it worries me because I'm not sure which I am :ohdear:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Is there any data on how dropping the Primacy for something stickier affects gas mileage?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I once made the day of a couple of 6-7 year old boys by parking my red one next to them. I'll admit that was pretty :3:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Laserface posted:

- the in-dash GPS/handsfree/media thing is loving terrible. touchscreens dont belong in cars.

The touchscreen's fine once you get used to it. The app/GPS can go suck all the dicks, though.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I'm still kinda shocked that you can rent Toyobarus. Between that and V8 Supercars, Australia must be the most civilized country in the world.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Weren't these things leaving lots around $25-27k? That seems really steep depreciation for a Japanese car.

One local dealership has an FRS with 2k miles selling for $22k and change. One of their sister dealerships has one with 23k miles going for almost exactly the same price. KBB says ~$20k for the 20k car.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

No pics unfortunately, but I think I just saw the most ridiculous thing: a white FRS with all of the Scion badges replaced with Lexus badges. Nose, trunk, and even the wheels.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Are LED bulbs directly compatible with the standard FRS lights, or do they require a mod?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

e: But seriously, yeah, AppRadio head units are loving terrible.

That's disappointing. I was kinda looking forward to getting one...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Guess I'll have to think CarPlay. I was going to ask if they're out yet, but a quick search shows that Pioneer literally just pushed CarPlay update for their units out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Yeah AppRadio is specifically a Pioneer thing

• Locked thread