Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

You Am I posted:

Sounds like he was going Steve Jobs on his co workers over this car.

I guess I am in the minority here where I don't think this car needs a turbo. Maybe some more aggressive cams, but if I owned one of these I'd keep it atmo. Gets too expensive fuel and insurance wise to keep an aftermarket turbo'd car.

That's not much of a problem in the US. 200hp should be ok though, I'm thinking of the AW11 SC MR2, which had less than that and was still plenty of fun.

There are other cars in the same price range that will be faster than this on both a track and in a straight line, but that never stopped the Miata from selling well. Nobody is going to cross shop a Mustang and a BRZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

I want to embarrass the gently caress out of you on a track and [b]I dont need power to do it, I need a chassis.

When does this stop holding water, 150hp, 100hp? It's not like power and a mythical jesus-chassis are mutually exclusive.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 28, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Autos with manual style shift boots have been around for a while, BMW does it. It's not to the same extent as the pic above though.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Climate control is awesome, and Subaru is awesome for including it on the toyobaru and WRX base models rather than doing a Honda and requiring you to buy the absolutely loaded model to get it.

It's even smart enough on cold mornings not to run the blower fan until there is enough heat from the engine to actually be useful (unless defrost is on)

Luddites are of course free to move the dials from auto/auto to manual fan and vent positioning as well. I've probably had to do that twice.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 7, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bluetooth, you filthy Luddite.

I want a headunit with integrated 3g that runs Android. A 21st century carphone basically.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Sigma X posted:

This is basically my dilemma. I can buy a brand-new Scion FR-S for (probably) around 24K, or I can get a 2008/2009 CPO S2K for the same price. I know how the S2K handles, it's got more power, and it's a convertible. The handling of the FR-S (since I'm price-shopping) would have to be absolutely mind-bogglingly good to make it a better deal then the S2K.

New car vs Used is always a bad comparison (Loaded v6 Camry vs CPO Mercedes E55 AMG anyone?)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you high?

Someone at Lexus decided the CT250h was a good idea, anything is possible.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Canada could just change it's standards to mirror US ones? US cars have kph on the inside of the speedometer most of the time anyway. I'm sure there would be some downsides but surely the savings would make up for it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I'm trying to convince myself that yes, a new Subaru BRZ is a good choice over a used GTI when moving to Madison, WI.

I'd be amazed if these cars are anything other than absolutely reliable. At least electrical gremlins won't strand you in a blizzard...

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The Corolla is outdated in so many ways, Toyota has been coasting on it's reputation for a while now.

A 4 speed auto is a joke in 2012.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'm just not sure reliability is enough anymore, Toyota came to prominence back when the domestic brands were selling some truly awful/unreliable cars. Today, if the gap isn't gone it's much smaller than it's ever been. New appliance type cars don't really need maintenance in the first 2 years, on a Toyota all you're going to get is a few oil changes and a tire rotation. It's a marketing gimmick.

My vote for the car that saved Subaru is the 89+ Legacy.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I was all about comparing the Toyobaru to the Mustang until I got to drive a 5.0 for 4 days (Hertz has them). It was fast and made glorious noises but that was about it. It just felt too big. I'm not sure if it was the bad visibility or the meh steering or just the size/weight of the thing. If anything the Mustang has more in common with cars like the 300C and Charger.

This is the sort of car that most drivers are never going to race against anything, they'll be used for tearing down traffic free back roads on a weekend afternoon. For that purpose, if the BRZ is anything like what the reviewers are talking about (I'm imagining an AW11 MR2 with 20 years of refinement), it'll be hands down a better option.

I want to drive one badly after seeing that review.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 4, 2012

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Anyone who thinks manuals are better in traffic needs to drive one for an hour in traffic that is moving slower than stall speed in 1st. Riding the brakes is nothing compared to clutch in/out/in/out repeatedly to maintain an average of 3-5mph.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

japtor posted:

One thing I've wondered about those, do they affect the white back up light (i.e. tint it red) or are they thin enough that it still shows through as white?

Some have a cutout for it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's a no-brainer anyway, any road leading out of Maryland is one you want to go down as quickly as possible

I don't know, some of them lead to Virginia, home of safety inspections, emissions testing and reckless driving charges for speeding.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Ecstatic posted:

I read an interesting rumor about them considering an E-turbo (generator on the turbine, motor on the compressor, no direct connection). However it'll probably be too advanced a tech to put on a cheap performance car.

That makes no sense to me, you have the power loss when converting to/from electricity, surely it'd be much less efficient than a regular turbo. The amount of electricity required would be enormous as well.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 21, 2012

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

dyne posted:

It might be less efficient, but you should be able to get boost at whatever RPM range you want.

An ordinary supercharger will do the same thing. The electric ones are all snake oil ebay scams that prey on ricers.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm not an expert in breaking an engine in but the current fashion of thrash the gently caress out of it flies in the face of 100 years best practice, which was always take it dead easy and nothing over 80 kph for at least 1000 kms - The look of horror I had for the Subaru techs when they told me the official breakin procdedure for my Forester would have been priceless.

In the WRX I stuck to the 4000rpm limit (apart from a 1-2 runs up to 6k) for the first 1000 miles, but other than that beat the crap out of it as much as I could, lots of engine braking especially in the first 100 miles. The engine after 17000 miles burns no noticeable amount of oil and basically runs like at train. First oil change was at 3500 miles, the analysis was great as far as suspended bits of engine goes. Subsequent analysis has also been good.

Most new performance cars have probably been thrashed in their first 100 miles, as they're still on dealer lots and test drivers will redline them all day long.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 29, 2012

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

It is stunning to me that they would ever let paid-up customer orders be driven by random people between dealer delivery and customer delivery.

If you order one it'll probably be ok, but buying a new car they already have in stock is a different story. I don't really mind it, I doubt a few runs to redline hurt much.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Due to engineers furiously masterbating over ever-tightening packaging designs, I think the days of the I6 are just about gone.

Yep. Think back to the 90's when pretty much every major manufacturer had one somewhere. BMW's switch to the turbo 4 marked the end to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the BMW system does make sense,

You can also attach the rest of your keys to the fob in such a way that you can insert it, start the car and then unclip the backup door key from the fob along with the rest of your keys so you can lock the car and walk away with it running. It's nice on cold mornings with no remote start.

• Locked thread