Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Don't forget about love. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Love. Subaru.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Sadi posted:

Part of me feels this way, 131k on mine and a few autocrosses. Its not like it gets babied but I sure dont drop the clutch. On the other hand, maybe im just one of the lucky ones.

No, I'm the same way; I managed nearly 80k on my old 07. I was not gentle at all: I did some drag racing, auto cross and spirited driving for almost four years with no issues at all. Then again, I only ever launched it at 3,000 RPMs and was pretty good about not shifting into second too hard.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Laserface posted:

The review also mentioned that the ECU will be tunable from the get go.

What do they mean by this? My assumption is that they mean it uses the same ECU that is found in the WRX, so tools like RomRaider will work with a simple descriptor file.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

BoostCreep posted:

Or maybe it just needs to look a little more like an STI. (quick and dirty photoshop, using a Supra aftermarket wing)

Round it off a bit at the top. The line on the spoiler is a bit off because the rest of the car lacks any hard angles.

It does look really nice though. I could take it without a wing, or with the STI one you made, but I don't like the one one the current show car.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Now we just need somebody to translate that.

I love that engine note, it definitely retains that distinct Boxer purr when revving down.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

sanchez posted:

That's not much of a problem in the US. 200hp should be ok though,

After seeing the videos of it going around Fiji, I am convinced that you're right. The car accelerates plenty fast and has no problem breaking those tires loose on command.

I'm pretty well convinced that either this or the new Mustang will be my next car.

Cat Terrist posted:

And I would still make a big bet the 86 is still going to overtake on the outside with the driver giving the Mustang the bird.... BFG deal if it cant do 1G stinkpan or do 5 minutes on the Ring or it gets retaken on the straight.

It's about fingertips and toes driving, which the Mustang completely fails at.

The new V6 Mustang track is ridiculously fast, despite its weight. In the C&D Lightning lap, the car managed to beat the Evo IX MR, BMW 135i, and the 2011 WRX STI; it even tied the 06 350Z Track time. It did all of this while being limited to 114MPH in the straights! (For reference, the Genesis Coupe R-Spec hit 128MPH)

Edit:

Yes, the old S had 162HP and 214HP with the JCW GP package. The new turbo has 172HP; 192HP with the JCW dealer reflash; and 208HP with the JCW Package.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 28, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's almost ridiculously fast to the point where holding that against other cars is stupid. If that's the bar nothing clears it,

I most certainly wasn't holding it against the 86, I was just pointing out that you are not going to be flipping the bird to new Mustang drivers while taking them out the outside in this car.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

rscott posted:

If its only getting around 23/30 EPA that isn't much better than a V6 Mustang, no?

On the highway, it is probably a wash, since the 'Stang has a really tall rear end (2.73?). However, combined driving the difference is probably going to be 25-26mpg for the Toyota and 22-23 for the Mustang.

quote:

I'm hoping a lot of these interior cues make it into the new WRX.

Same here, the only thing I'm not sure of is which seats I like better. I love the material (nylon?) that the current WRX sports, it breaths really well, it is soft and it looks really good (and unconventional). I've never sat on Alcantara seats for a long period of time, so I'm not sure if they breath as well. Hopefully the BRZ doesn't have fat-American seat bolsters; I have a good two inches between me an the bolsters on either side in the USDM WRX seats.

kimbo305 posted:

I can only assume leaving turbo off the table meant fewer packaging and R&D nightmares.

I'm with you on this, I have no idea where they could shove a turbo after seeing the engine bay. They might be able to do a front-mounted turbo, but they would definitely have to do a water-to-air intercooler because of the current intake manifold design, which is backwards from every contemporary turbo Subaru I've seen.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 28, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I guess the point to take away from this is that the BRZ86 has much more in common with the sports cars of ol' than today's turbo / big displacement beasts.

85 Supra:
pre:
Wheelbase  102 in
Length     183 in
Width      67 in
Height     52 in
Weight     3000 lb
Horsepower 161 hp
LB/HP      19 lb/hp
They are surprisingly close. Obviously, the weight is a big factor, but the 86 will kick the old Supra's rear end at anything performance related.

edit:

92 Supra (non-turbo)
pre:
Wheelbase  100 in
Length     177 in
Width      71 in
Height     50 in
Weight     3210 lb
Horsepower 220 hp
LB/HP      14.5 lb/hp

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 29, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think most people are pessimistic about a turbo version is because Subaru/Toyota said the car was designed without a turbo version in mind, and that there just isn't room for a turbo because the engine is so far back and up against the firewall. I'll be really curious to see what happens when people start trying to swap STI motors in these.

I'm in the no turbocharged version ever camp. If you look under the hood, there is no place to put a turbo. The only option is to do a front-mounted turbo like the new Legacys use, but I wonder if that will even fit because of the axles and such.

You're right about an S/C though, especially if they use an intercooler like the CTS-V has.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Isizzlehorn posted:

By the way, stumbled upon this video (http://youtu.be/EKrh7wfwSvA) earlier of a quick run of a GT 86. While it's running with the slushbox, those are some pretty quick shifts for a slushbox. It'll be real interesting if the auto turns out to do 0-60 faster than the manual.

It sounds like it does a throttle-blip on down-shift, which is pretty awesome. I do hope that they reprogrammed the automatic to be a little bit more aggressive though. The major complaint that I've heard about the IS350 is that the automatic is very lazy and hesitant to downshift unless you're in manual mode.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Admirable Gusto posted:

Yes in peak power terms, but if the supercharger brings the torque curve up across the board then the impact should be bigger than the peak number suggests

The stock STI has a pretty flat torque curve after 2,800 RPMs. So it is pretty comparable.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

That's not good for a car built after the late 1980s. Turbo Subarus are awful.

The Legacy, et. al. have flat curves starting at 2,000 RPMs, the STI still uses an exhaust manifold designed using Snake on an engineer's then new Motorola Razr.

"" posted:

Subaru has confirmed that there will be a turbocharged version of the FA20 engine.

Except, they said in the Autoblog review:

quote:

There's no turbo, and no plans to include one.

That being said, a 7,500 RPM WRX sounds like a winner to me.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Hopeful stretched tires will be out-of-fashion by the time these things get cheap enough to fall into the hands of ricers.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Brigdh posted:

Except its very easy to test everything in a standard "wires and switches" system. Its impossible to test every hardware path in any processor closely resembling modern. There is a reason why NASA still uses tech from the 80s

This is a completely asinine statement. NASA uses the IBM RAD6000 in everything because they need a processor that can withstand a constant barrage of high-energy radiation. There is much more likely to be an issue with the software running on the chip than there is with the chip itself.

Plus, it isn't like the CPUs in modern ECUs are that complicated.

Edit:

quote:

What happens when the little moisture sensor goes out and it starts running the defrost all the time? What about the little potentiometers for the dials? It's just got more way to break and since it's more complex it'll be harder to diagnose.

At least with a modern setup, the ECU software can tell you exactly which sensor is broken. Plus, depending on the sensor in question, it may be able to fall back on open-loop operation until the issue is resolved. This system isn't perfect, but I'll take a modern electronic setup over an RX-7 vacuum hose clusterfuck any day of the week.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 7, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

law abiding rapist posted:

Maybe I'm just cynical but I don't see the HVAC controller having a user-accessible diagnostic interface like OBD-II.

Sorry, somehow I missed where you were specifically talking about HVAC systems.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I think I like the front end of the Toyota a bit more. The Subaru front end has a hint of the Miata :xd: face in it. Though, I have to admit that I'm a sucker for WR Blue Pearl, so I'd probably end up paying the premium for the Subaru model.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

law abiding rapist posted:

Ah that sounds reasonable, never trust Germans to design something simple and easy to use :negative:

Put it this way: I didn't even know my WRX had automatic climate control until somebody pointed it out when they got into the car.

All you have to do is turn one or both of the dials on "auto" and it will do its thing. Alternatively, you can just move the dials where you want them. It is super simple and unobtrusive.

edit:

quote:

Subaru recently announced the naturally aspirated FA20 should achieve 30 mpg highway.

Five more horses and 20% better highway economy? Awesome! I wonder how many torks will be sacrificed and what the curve will look like though. I'm hoping they managed a sub-2000RPM spool with this engine.

Edit 2:

Mantle posted:

Let the speculation begin!

Finally, a RWD WRX :downs: :suicide:

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 9, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Dick Burglar posted:

Isn't it easier to stiffen up a chassis with a trunk than with a hatch, due to the extra bracing you can have with a trunk?

Yes, unless you do what Nissan did with the Z car, that is, put a gigantic rear end beam in the middle of the "hatch" and destroy all the versatility it provides.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Yeah, it looks like he can't put the seat up further because it would interfere with his gut, not because he's too tall. It actually looks like he might have 4-5 more inches of headroom, and if here were skinnier, he'd be able to sit up a little more straight.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
^^ You...must be a sight to behold...

DerDestroyer posted:

I would give anything for a revival of the Silvias. One of my greatest regrets in life was that the 180/240SX was before my time so I couldn't own one that ran properly.

Besides the looks, what made the Silva so great? I understand the love for the Miatas, RX-7s, Camaros (to some degree), 90s Hondas, and other sporty cars. But, I never really did see the draw of the 240sx. I understand that it is RWD, but didn't it get a crappy truck motor in the U.S.? I always felt that the Integra or Prelude were much better cars over all than the 240. The only people I ever hear talking about them do so in the context of drifting.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
A 370Z powered by the MR16DDT out of the Juke could make a very fun car. The engine is small enough to never really be a threat the the 370, but it does make a good amount of power and torque. Plus, Nissan is only going to sell about 10k Zs world-wide this year. If adapting some of their existing technology into a platform can result in a 40% increase in sales, I'm sure executives would be willing to look into it.

(( Hell, a Juke with performance suspension and wheels/tires from a car for under $18 would make me go out and buy one right now. :dong: ))

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 13, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

TrueChaos posted:

Fixed. White car owners don't get to complain.

Agreed, having owned both, I feel that white is extremely low maintenance compared to black. gently caress black cars.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Laserface posted:

its just too bad its boring as gently caress to look at.
Agreed, I hate silver cars and I hate how prevalent they are now. Most silver cars just look like dirty white cars to me.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Hog Obituary posted:

Wait, the 2012 GT has an MSRP of like $29k... so yes, under $30k, but under 25?
Are you saying dealers are offering like 5k off sticker right now on 2012 GTs?

Even if they were, there are no base model GTs sitting around. Nearly all of them are at least Premiums, which start at around 33k.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

As Nero Danced posted:

You're going to have to provide the link here, it's your claim to back up. At least give us your zip code so we can look it up on Ford's website.

I found badboy online. Yes, that's a 2010, and yes, they are asking $36,000 for it. :psyboom:.

However, the cheapest I found was a base GT for under $25,000.

PT6A posted:

And yet... the gas mileage on the V6 is better than the numbers we've seen for the GT86, and only slightly worse for the V8.

To be fair, there are no official numbers on the GT86 and Ford put a lot of effort into skewing the fuel economy numbers. A base V6 has ridiculously tall gearing and very skinny, Michelin Energy Saver tires. Once you swap those POSes for the 2" wider performance package tires and gearing meant for a sports car, the Mustang's gas mileage is going to drop to the low 20s combined.

Edit: links

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 21, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

As Nero Danced posted:

Huh, guess they are out there for that price then, thank you. I would argue that's the exception and not the rule, but that's a drat good price.

I actually found quite a few. If you're willing to travel, it seems you can save a good deal of coin. I found a base GT + Bembos for $26,782...If only I could justify a new car right now...

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

leyton house posted:

It would be a pretty bad idea to base a luxury GT off a lightweight sports coupe. If anything the Lexus coupe would share underpinnings with the GS. However, maybe this will mean the return of the Supra (yes,I realize I'm a ricer douche bag)

Yes, it would be a bad idea to build a GT car off of the FT-86 chassis. If they really wanted to do a larger GT cruiser, they would just combine the IS-F with a coupe version of the IS-350-C body.

The IS-F is the modern Supra, only with four-doors.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

If that were the case though, Mazda should have discontinued the Miata years ago.

Pricing the base model BRZ (which is the Premium trim) at base WRX pricing makes perfect sense to me.

Plus, if somebody buys a BRZ instead of a WRX, Subaru still wins. If you go an buy a Miata instead, then they lose.

tobu posted:

It was a pipe dream I know but I wanted one but it looks like they will cost too much for what shouldn't be an expensive car to build? (I'm pulling this straight out my arse?)

I think it is because it is a niche market car. If they moved Mustang numbers of BRZs, I'm sure they could get a sub-20k entry level model. I'm glad it is priced where it is, it seems like ~4k units a years is feasible for a good while. It means that it may last long enough to get a sequel in seven years.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 13, 2012

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Please note that I don't actually know if Toyota/Subaru have released sales targets so if they're out there and this is totally wrong shows how loving much I know, right?

They did and they are about 4k units for Subaru. So you were actually pretty close.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Bovril Delight posted:

I imagine that if Scion is putting out their "performance" parts that they would be compatible with the BRZ? The Subaru seems a little more grown up, but I would still love to see a bit more torque.

Subaru has SPT parts, which are effectively the same thing as Scion's TRD performance part lineup. I can easily see them both selling the same parts under their respective names.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

Wouldn't a hatch also sacrifice some handling unless you had a big cross-brace like the Nissan Z does?

Pretty much.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

japtor posted:

What about the 2000GT?

I'm sorry, but I see more S30 Z car in this than either of the AE85 or 2000gt. From the identical kink in the window behind the b-pillar and the silhouette, to the headlights, which seem very much like a modern interpretation of the Z's tear drop ones.

Even the gas door placement is the same.

(( The Z was a hatch though. ))

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

I would definitely not gently caress with the suspension or tires,

Suspension, no, but I would definitely swap out the stock tires for something more sport-oriented. Luckily, 225/45/R17 is a great size for tires because it is the best size for price/performance.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Sockington posted:

Pretty much. :(

It's what keeps me coming back here :unsmith:

My favorite is GenCoupe.com, the front page of their general discussions board has at least three accident threads at any given point in time. They are definitely apologists for douche bags hitting curbs while trying to drift on public streets.

:clint:: "I keep traction control off because I know how to drive better than some computer!"
<later>
:clint:: "The car just started fishtailing for no reason"

Although, I do remember one of the accident threads being slightly amusing because of this.

Edit: Oh hay, look what I found.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 5, 2012

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm pathetic :(

If you're pathetic, I guess that just makes me an aspiring loser...

(You'd better get a blue one, damnit!)

Edit:

quote:

official dyno sheet from Subaru
190HP is pretty sad.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 7, 2012

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Malpenix Blonia posted:

BRZ officially makes ~1,500 ft lbs of torque!

That's what I originally thought that said too, but I edited it out because I thought I would look like an idiot.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

wolrah posted:

(though it probably will interfere with the hood),

All Subarus need hood scoops anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cakefool posted:

Pity the stripper is Japan only.

It would be cool if it were special order only in the U.S. For $17k I would just get one and toss on a matte black vinyl wrap and some nice wheels.

• Locked thread