Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Lowclock posted:

I don't know. I barely know how to use photoshop, but I think it looks weird without the wing.

E: Where are the door handles? Where does the gas go? :downs:

To me, this looks so much better. So much cleaner and more elegant. Something I could actually show up to work in with a straight face.

Edit:

BoostCreep posted:

Ok, that's a lot better. I still prefer it without the wing, though. I just have a visceral dislike of big wings except for on real, actual racecars.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I guess the point to take away from this is that the BRZ86 has much more in common with the sports cars of ol' than today's turbo / big displacement beasts.

And that is a lovely thing. Smaller, lighter, nimbler. Back to the roots of a good sports car. If this thing drives like an E30 M3 or an ITR, which is yet to be proven, then Toyota may have actually made a car that isn't a snoozefest.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Is the Integra Type-R as good as I've read? Like, the best FWD car ever good

No one actually knows how the mythical ITR drives, they've all been stolen and gutted for engine swaps into Civics. :laugh:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

wouldn't Mazda just need to make an official coupe Mx-5 with a slightly more powerful and fuel efficient SkyActive engine to effectively compete with this? And if the prices are correct, why would anyone buy either this thing? The Toyobaru has four seats, but everyone knows the rear two only for midgets anyway, so it's just the slightly more useful trunk?

You say that like it would be a bad thing. I would be ECSTATIC if Mazda made a true coupe version of the ND (i.e. not PRHT), especially if the ND gets as much weight-reduction as the rumormill suggests.

Actually, if Mazda does that, there's probably a 95% chance I'll forget about the Toyobaru altogether.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

MetaJew posted:

In other news, factory HIDs are the best thing, and anyone who wants a push button start over that is a nut.

Totally agree. After owning a car with a good set of factory HIDs (and adaptive ones at that; love that feature), going back to a car with plain old halogens feels like having to use Windows 95 again. The difference is staggering. I even had really good Hella halogen housings and aimed very carefully on my last car (Miata), but the HIDs on my E46 are just in a different class entirely.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 7, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I have a black car, too, so it'd be it needs a wash. :laugh:

All kidding aside, I think black is the best color on most cars (especially on "nice" cars), two of three cars that I've owned have been black, and my current car is black.

But there's a very good chance my next car will not be black. Having a car painted in a color that doesn't highlight every single imperfection, swirl mark, and speck of dirt will be a welcome change.

I'm really torn on white. On most cars, white is so bland and soul-sucking, but that's because most white cars are dull Toyotas and Hyundais and Fords which all seem to use the same ugly white paint that you can find on your washing machine. Due to that I equate white in my head with other terribly bland colors like beige and silver. On the other hand, I'm really liking white on some of the newer BMWs and Porsches, and also on the BRZ/GT86; cars that actually have interesting body styles and features that are not just big slabs.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 18, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think I'm cross shopping the Fiat 500 Abarth, the BRZ, some sort of gofast version of the Dart, the Focus ST and the 128 so I completely understand nonsense cross-shops.

The last time I bought a car (last year), I was cross-shopping the WRX, S2000, A3, and 330Ci. So, yeah, weird competition.

I don't get why so many people in AI think that people don't cross-shop across segments. Even my non-AI friends do car shopping starting out with "okay, my budget is X, what good/cool/fun cars can I get for that?", and then start eliminating from there.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, my E46 3er does it, too, and never had a problem even in snow and ice. Maybe the 1ers got a poorly designed implementation.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The manual doesn't mention anything about steering wheel controls, but a couple of models that have been pictured in the US have had them. I'm really curious whether it'll have them or not...

I know it's such a trivial thing and it shouldn't matter at all, but after having a car with good steering wheel controls (stereo, bluetooth, & cruise) it would annoy me so much to buy a brand new car without them. I know it's asinine and I'm a big gay baby, but not having them as an option would be a somewhat big mark against this car in my own cross-shopping comparison considering most sub-20k economy cars have steering wheel controls, at least as an option package, nowadays.

If I were buying it exclusively as a weekend/track toy, then it would matter a lot less, but that's not what most people will be buying it as.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hot drat, under 25k to start. Any idea what the Limited (or whatever the Scion equivalent is) package costs?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nobody wants to be downshifting twice to pass on the highway.

I downshift from 6th to 4th all the time to pass on the highway, sometimes even from 6th to 3rd if I really need to gun it. I actually barely use 5th gear at all except for the rare instances where the cruising speed is about 45-50mph.

And my car has quite a bit more power and (especially) torque than the Toyobaru, and "only" weighs about 500 pounds more.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 27, 2012

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The high-beam light has been blue in every car I've ever driven, and usually sits dead center at the top of the cluster. It's supposed to stand out so that you don't unintentionally leave your high beams on, blinding every passerby.

The cluster in my BMW is a nice dark red-orange, it's much better than green or white or that eye-burning VW purple-blue color, especially at night.

Do people ever actually use the cluster dimmer? All my cars have had dimmers, but I've always just left it on max since none of my cars' clusters have ever been retina-searing bright. Maybe if I had one of those obnoxious VW clusters, but other than that...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That is super lame. I know it's a minor detail, but steering wheel stereo controls not even being an option in a near-30k car in 2012 is crappy.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sockington posted:

Miata daily life.

I do miss how much I could break traction and get the rear loose (hurray LSD) in my Miata without attracting much attention at all. Doing the same thing in my E46 stands out WAY more, and not in a good way.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DerDestroyer posted:

I'm lining up my next car purchase and it boiled down to choosing between a VW Golf TDI, a GTI and the BRZ. Based on what we know about the BRZ so far would it be a safe choice to pick it over a GTI or the slower TDI? The looks of the BRZ are winning me over but I'm unsure if that's enough to justify choosing it.

Have you driven any of them? Go drive all the cars you're considering and choose the one you like most.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Was about to make a similar comment. I've got an E46 330Ci and while I've been following the Toyobaru pretty closely I don't think I'd ever sell my E46 to buy one. Especially not for a daily driver. But maybe I'm just getting soft.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

japtor posted:

Your post just made me realize I have no clue what the liters are referring to. Is it the volume of the cylinders in the engine block?

Close, it's the volume displaced in the cylinders by the stroke of the pistons. Hence the term "displacement".

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I really really hope that turbo is absolutely bombproof, otherwise there are going to be some repair bills rivaling the B5 S4.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've met so many people who literally think that their engine will explode if it gets to the redline. :doh: Probably not helped by the fact that the vast majority of cars on the road are equipped with crap automatic transmissions that try to shift into higher gears as fast as possible and end up putting people in top gear at 35mph spinning 1400rpm.

The upper end of the engine is where all the fun and power is, wring the fucker out!

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 3, 2012

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Right, very few cars make their peak power at their redline, but peak power in almost all cars comes above the 3000rpm that most people are afraid of going past.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I was just commenting that the general public and most drivers are afraid/hesitant to wind out their cars' engines for unknown or stupid reasons. I'm not talking about any one specific car/engine/gearing/powerband in particular.

If you go and lazily drive a BRZ, or any other car with a high-revving small displacement engine (e.g., Miata or S2000), and make every shift below 3-4k RPM you're not even getting into the powerband and of course it will feel slow. You got to wring that bitch out.

Even among car enthusiasts there seems to be a contingent of people who are afraid to keep an engine up in the high rev range. Personally, I love a nice free-revving motor with a high redline and a powerband skewed toward the top of the rev range. Of course the real poster children of high-strung engines are sportbikes that require you to rev them to 10k+ rpm to start getting into the meat of the powerband. Mmm mmm so much fun, and so much noise.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 4, 2012

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well yeah that should go without saying. I don't think anyone was advocating revving cold engines to redline.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

revmoo posted:

You've got to be kidding me. I thought those things were a $20k abomination...

Even the base 370z coupe starts well into the 30s; nowhere near 20k. The Z is a pretty pricey car, especially the convertible. Why anyone would pay 45k for one is far beyond me, given what else you can pickup for that much dough.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Phone posted:

With the yen being down and the CX series selling well, I think they're doing alright.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/30/mazda-books-first-yearly-profit-in-half-decade-na-still-a-drag/

They're only just digging themselves out of a bad financial position. They're long-term financial security is far from guaranteed presently. Globally they barely turned a profit for the first time in years, but they still posted a half-billion dollar loss in North America.

I think they're in a reasonably good position to return to consistent profitability, but it has yet to be proven. As much as I want to see them launch another rotary sports car, I don't want it to be at the expense of the company as a whole.

• Locked thread