Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

You Am I posted:

The Subaru BR(o)Z

Good there isn't any sunroof on the Toyota. Sunroofs are the most useless thing on a car.

The Subaru BReeZe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mat_Drinks posted:

Not to be an MRS/MR2 apologist here, but I owned one for a bit and was actually quite surprised at how much could fit in the car. True, it doesn't have your fancy shmancy hooks for hanging grocery bags and whatnot, but with the top up you can fit a lot on the tray, in the compartments behind the seat, in the "frunk" and if you're not super tall, quite a bit even behind the seats. The wife and I road tripped it from Seattle to L.A. and back once and were able to easily fit all of our luggage for a week and our dog with smart arrangement.

Clearly the solution is:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Splizwarf posted:

I always wondered for measurements like this: where exactly do my hips stop and become my back? I mean, the muscles underneath go mid-back to knee.

Isn't the hip line at the natural axis of the hip joint? So like around rear end-level.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

leica posted:

I feel bad for all the NBA players that want sports cars but have to drive Escalades :(

quote:

On the "Cribs" episode, Shaq introduced us to his "convertible forever," a Ferrari 360 Modena. Shaq had to cut the top off "forever" simply so he could sit in the vehicle.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Splizwarf posted:

Like a 350z and a Mustang had a baby

Just like the werewolf in Twilight, wanna gently caress dat baby

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Piano posted:

The area in front of the wheel rear bothers me (if we're going to nit pick).

Looks like a cankle.

It looks like a fake wheel spat made out of negative body cladding. Since the concept probably has a ground effect kit of some sort, I bet it won't be on the production version. Ditto for the wing itself. I think a tasteful ducktail lip spoiler might look nice.

Like this, but like at half the height:

Or as in the E46 CSL

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 18, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nodoze posted:

A cooper S is like 200hp and I wouldn't classify them as slow

If the rumors are true and this car is ~2700 lbs, the same as a Cooper S, then it sounds good to me. Hopefully the lower power helps control insurance costs. (Who am I kidding? These are probably going to be expensive as hell.)

Also, early english language review: http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/first-drive-toyota-86-20111128-1o1vi.html

Seems to say that there's some usable low-end torque. Also, both rear seats fold down, which is pretty good.

Using the absolutely useless methodology of comparing similar car prices in AUD, I would make a wild-rear end guess of $22-25k US base since the quoted price was "less than $40k AUD." That tallies with the Miata, which looks to be the closest competitor in terms of both price and general audience.

A 2+2 coupe Miata that can fit normal-sized people actually sounds like a future AI superstar, if they can manage to keep the weight down and the electric steering doesn't suck too much. Hopefully, like the Miata, it will be bought more by secretaries than by boy-racer ricer types who will destroy them by the time they hit the used market. See also: shopping for a used WRX really sucks.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 28, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

From what I can tell it's kinda sorta trickle-down tech from the LFA, which is neat

Yeah, Ford publicized theirs in 2009. It's used in even basic cars like the Focus. Similar devices have been around way before that as well, of course, since it's literally just a tube. If anything, the Mustang one is better, because it's made so that you can remove/replace the baffle if you want more or less noise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/automobiles/01NOISE.html

It's also 1000 times better than what BMW did, which is a noisemaker. I believe the way their tech works is that a digital signal processor looks at the RPMs/ignition system and then synthesizes a noise to match the revs, with the synthesizer made to sound more aggressive when the car is set to "sport" mode.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Dunno, every time I'm blinded on the road it's usually some dude in a lifted truck who never bothered to re-aim their headlights. Are the Subaru OEM HIDs auto-leveling?

That said, I'm not a fan of the super high color temp lights most HIDs have.

On that note, what the hell BMW:

BMW tests '1,000 times brighter' laser headlights

quote:

BMW is trying to stay out in front of lighting issues. That BMW 6 Series, shown above, has a feature called "Anti-dazzle High- Beam Assistant." It also has a feature with another odd name, "Dynamic Light Spot," aimed at making it easier to illuminate pedestrians before you're in danger of running them down.

Of course, if you had headlights that were 1,000 times brighter ...

I know it's just a stupid engineering wank, as I can't imagine the power consumption from headlights is actually significant in any way, and the actual total output of the headlights will be pretty similar. But still, gently caress cool white lighting almost as much as blue lighting. That poo poo hurts my eyes.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 7, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's insane that people are actually arguing over automatic HVAC on a car where navigation is standard.

The touchscreen and nav stuff is an actual non-trivial cost that you can be mad about, especially since OEM nav is often ugly, slow, and gets out of date super quickly compared to comparable stand-alone units. What the hell?

Doesn't Subaru OEM nav not even let you actually use it unless the car is in park or something retarded like that?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Wouldn't a hatch also sacrifice some handling unless you had a big cross-brace like the Nissan Z does?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
If there was a hatch, there would be no room on the market for a shooting brake! :awesome:

We can dream...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Piano posted:

I think it's fair to say the r32 GTR planted the Japanese halo car seed. Wikipedia says they sold 44,000 r32 GTRs in five years, and those cars weren't cheap. I can't find a good source for the actual price was, I'm guessing $40-$60k in 90s money? Anyone?

We would probably still see them if the C5 Corvette (or even let's just say the ls1 engine) didn't go so far beyond everyone's expectations.

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_asset_price_bubble

Japanese finance got rich as gently caress all up until 90s. All those bankers needed something to drive. Add to that the executive peen fights between the various JDM carmakers over who could make the fanciest halo sports car (financed by their growing success overseas), and you got ridiculously over-designed supercars (insert FD RX-7 vacuum line diagram here) that nobody could afford. Then the 90s Japanese financial crisis came and killed them all off with awful exchange rates. Honestly, it's probably what killed off the cheap RWD coupes in Japan, too - young people couldn't afford to buy a new car because nobody had any jobs.

Unfortunately, the same poo poo is happening to the US right now. Times are alright for luxury carmakers, but terrible for anything affordable.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 2, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ROFLBOT posted:

The late '80s - early '90s really were Halcyon days for Japanese carmakers that in many ways they have not touched since. You can tell by the engineering and build on many models from that era that the budgets for them were pretty significant, likely greater than the models after this period.

Classic example would be the LS400

Not only that, but afterwards, Japanese cars lost their essential 'japaneseness.' Partly blame their popularity in the American market and the shrinking of the JDM market, due both to social trends that do not favor car ownership and general economic malaise. Japan's economy was in the shitter for a good 15 years, and it's not exactly doing great even now. That's why 42% of Honda's sales were in North America, for instance, and the profit margin is higher on its American products than domestically. And that's including the various large price subsidies and protectionist tariffs they get from the Japanese government for their domestic market.

Maybe it's expansion or maybe it's just corporate decline, but the sad story of Honda is the big one there. It seems like Subaru was the last to go, but now even they're releasing an ever-growing line-up of weirdo crossovers and extremely fat cars (see: the godawful Legacy). Hopefully Toyota finds itself again, because man is their line-up bad. The only other car I would even think about owning is the Prius.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I do wonder how easily an SBC would fit in there...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

Jesus, I've been saying for years that manufacturers of cars popular with either racers or ricers should be doing this. Big engine, poverty-spec everything else.

Saying that, used to be you could get cars like that anyway - the old man's 1990 E30 was on steelies with something like 175 section tyres. He liked roundabouts.

Subaru USA did this on the WRX TR, which was the base trim for some years. "TR" stood for "tuner ready". The biggest difference was that it had shittier seats from the base impreza instead of the recaro-styled ones in the WRX, and also no side skirts.

quote:

WRX TR sedan deletes from WRX
TR= Tuner Ready
delete from WRX sedan
Delete: Performance Design front seats
Replace with Sport Design front seats with active headrests
Delete: Premium stereo CD changer, 6 upgraded speakers
Replace with single disc, 4 speakers
Delete: Automatic Climate Control
Replace with standard air conditioning
Delete: Fog lights
Replace with STi type covers
Delete: Body colored outside mirrors
Replace with black folding mirrors
Delete: Leather shift knob and Leather parking brake handle.
Replace with polyurethane
Delete: chromed inner door handles Replace with black door handles
Delete: rear cupholders
Delete: map pocket on passenger seat
Delete Aerodynamic side ground effects

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

wolrah posted:

It doesn't look like it's too tight around the Toyota V8 in jamal's pic (though it probably will interfere with the hood), and I assume that's a DOHC engine, so a SBC/LSx should be even easier in comparison.

I looked up the specs, and apparently a SBC is actually both narrower and shorter than the EJ series and similar engines, though it's significantly longer. Hell, weight on an aluminum block one might be similarish, too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Billy Zane posted:

BRZ with 16" wheels

Hey, non-ugly wheels! Color me surprised after seeing those dumb two-tone things.

Actually, they look a lot like the ones I already have (in the same size) except they're darker.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lazor posted:

I hadn't seen that picture before and I think it's answered my one question about this car. I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my STI betting on the fact that I'd be able to put my son in the back (can't do that in a miata or s2k). He's already 2.5 years and forward facing so I was pretty confident he'd fit(I can put his car seat in the back "seats" of my parents' extended cab Colorado) and the picture that was posted at least confirms that some kind of car seat will fit. I'm not so sure about a rear facing seat though. They take up a lot more room than forward facing seats even if they're smaller because they stick out so far forward up high making them hit the seat in front requiring it to be moved forward a good amount. It may work if that's all your carrying but it could may put the seat at a very uncomfortable position for a front passenger. Also, it will be really hard to get the kid in unless you have a baby seat that snaps into a base that stays in the car (highly recommended when the kid is small enough to just carry around in the seat). I don't know how you would even put a kid straight into a rear facing seat in the back of a 2 door, that just doesn't seem like it would work very well. For my situation, I just need to have the ability to carry my son in the car occasionally, if we all go somewhere we can just take my wife's car. Right now my son loves riding in my car, if we go anywhere he always wants to ride in "dada's car." Hopefully he'll appreciate the next one as much as I hope to, I know he will if it has a turbo.

Gen Coupe can do it. But it's a bigger car.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's nice to be able to do it when absolutely necessary but I really wouldn't feel comfortable taking my kid to daycare that way every day - I know it's quite safe relatively speaking but it would be at best annoyingly cramped to get the lil fucker in and out of it.

I mean for stuff like that just stick the thing in the passenger seat and make sure the airbag is off, right? Is it significantly worse in the front versus the back in a car that size?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Billy Zane posted:

According to this article, Toyota started making a profit on Priuses some time in 2001.

Yeah but the actual profit margin has been described as "in the single digits" as recently as 2011. It's even worse because Toyota was forced to cut prices due to competition from the Honda Insight. There was also an article where they said the coming new generation would be the "first truly profitable generation," and even that has stuff like the Prius C which is, I believe, going to be another loss-leader / barely break even proposition due to its extremely low price.

That said, I'm sure they do make decent money for dealers because it's difficult to service them outside of the dealers.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Brigdh posted:

I thought corollas and a couple other basic Toyotas were made here.

Their highest volume models and also giant trucks the rest of the world mostly doesn't want.

Setting up a second production plant is absurdly expensive. Doing it for a model that will possibly sell 1000 units annually wouldn't make any sense.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

gently caress the lot of you, that'd be a bargain on the other side of the Atlantic.

Yeah but we have to pay for healthcare, too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Muffinpox posted:

We don't hate it because 27k isn't a bargain, it's because the 25-30k market for cars is saturated with a ton of good cars that all look a lot better on paper than the BRZ, except for in curb weight. You can get a Genesis 2.0T or 3.8 R-spec in that range which is just a fat BRZ and is going to have 274hp or 330hp next year.

Especially when the V6 Mustang starts at $22k with 305hp and the 420hp V8 is $30k. I know they're totally different cars aside from being RWD coupes and you can't compare them, but still, $27 sounds ridiculous. I think it's likely that the 27 price includes the "market adjustment" for new desirable models, though, especially given Scion's normal pricing policies.

Hell, a similar new car competitor to this car is a Miata, which starts at $23k and has a huge enthusiast following with lots of go-fast parts and factory support.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 18, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, we haven't got those over here.

What's the comparative price for a Miata over there? Or the import Mustang?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah, hairdressers might not know/care about FWD vs. RWD, but they probably will notice things like axle-to-dash and other proportion stuff. Hopefully that's enough?

Also, that pic makes me notice that there's more front overhang on this compared to the concept that was shown earlier. I'm assuming this is for US bumpers and whatnot?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cakefool posted:

No, people who drive like morons are going to be attracted to this car.

(yes, this car will reward hooning behaviour)

Downside: high insurance costs
Upside: increased sales volume from idiots replacing their wrecked cars

Far better they blow through new-production vehicles instead of destroying nice used older cars. I'm sure the number of older VWs is already reaching critical levels after the twin plagues of krauting and hellaflush.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dave Inc. posted:

I demand that the FR-S / BRZ now be referred to as the "Fuss-bus".

FR-S BRZ looks like Furious Breeze.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
They better make it easy to get rid of the inevitable nav system lockout for when you're in motion, because that poo poo is the worst. I wish there was an enthusiast community that hacked factory nav units like they do for cell phones. The silver plastic trim in the Subaru version looks pretty bad, too, but the bodywork looks much cleaner and I've always liked the STi alcantara seats from their other cars.

I also think this car would look amazing in deep green. I wonder what it would cost to get a wrap or something.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Guinness posted:

The last time I bought a car (last year), I was cross-shopping the WRX, S2000, A3, and 330Ci. So, yeah, weird competition.

I don't get why so many people in AI think that people don't cross-shop across segments. Even my non-AI friends do car shopping starting out with "okay, my budget is X, what good/cool/fun cars can I get for that?", and then start eliminating from there.

Because it often sort of turns into benchracing, where stuff like the Mustang will win almost every time based purely on price because it's $23k base.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dielectric posted:

I cross-shopped the Dodge Magnum and the Mini Cooper S.

Got the Mini. On topic: traded it for my WRX. Okay, not that on-topic but I had to try.

I don't think I ever really stop shopping, the CTS-V is looking mighty nice these days, the BRZ not as much. Typical Subaru, you need to change a few things before it's actually the car that should have left the factory.

Really? Like what? I don't see what's wrong with it. The car seems pretty well engineered to me.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Leper Messiah posted:

Sadly, no, the Golf R only comes in red, white, black, grey, and blue. The blue is basically STI blue and about the only exciting color.

Too bad, that limited edition Farenheit Orange they sometimes do is pretty boss.

I'm still hoping for green on the BRZ. Fat chance, though. Can wraps change the cars color? I figure it'll help protect the infamous Subaru paint.

edit: I just looked it up and apparently the Golf R is like $35k? What the hell? Isn't it basically comparable to a WRX? That's like Evo/STi, 5.0 Mustang, or borderline BMW money. You could buy a well-used Cayman S for that.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 28, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bull3964 posted:

As I put it before, it has a slightly better power to weight ratio (assuming 2600 lbs) as the WRX before they upped the HP to 265 and it will have less drivetrain loss.

It will probably feel quicker than my 2002 in a straight line due to the torque curve being flatter and less rotational mass of 2 fewer driveshafts and related differentials.

BMW E30 M3
195 hp (6750 rpm)
170 ft lbs (4600 rpm)
2,724 lbs weight

Subaru BRZ
200 hp (7000 rpm)
150 ft lbs (6300 rpm)
2,690 lbs weight

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Splizwarf posted:

That kind of numbers comparison needs center of gravity info too. And if you're specifying an E30 M3 I'll want stock quarter miles too, because those things took a long time to get going. :colbert:

Center of gravity will probably be lower on the BRZ, since the FA is an all-aluminum boxer instead of an iron block(?) DOHC with aluminum head (is this right for S14?).

As for the Ford Fusion hypothetical, it all depends on how the Fusion feels. I'm going to guess that things like steering feel, brake feel, and suspension setup will be far less communicative, responsive, and interesting.

I know I'm not ever going to be super fast. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll never be as fast as someone with more talent, experience, and cash. So I'd rather have a car that makes me feel like I'm going fast and lets me gently push the limits at legal/mildly extra-legal speeds while training me to drive RWD properly.

I feel like the iconic car for this is the Mk1 Golf GTi, which by modern standards has laughable performance but is arguably still really fun to drive. I would drive one except for the fact that I'd probably die if another car so much as breathes on it, and also because my living arrangements don't allow me to do any maintenance at home.

I love the E30 too, but honestly they're coming on 20+ years now and even the few mint condition ones simply don't hold up to modern standards for safety, reliability, etc. I don't have the time or expertise to own one in a cost-effective way. I want a similar experience in a new modern car. So the BRZ gives me hope.

The only thing I would change about the BRZ for my personal situation would be to make it a square coupe sedan/hatch so that it's less of a ticket magnet. Obviously this is kind of dumb and most people will disagree.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 29, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Barn Owl posted:

Hopefully by the time I get my 04 2.5rs to 150k they'll have a wagon or shooting brake BRZ.

I prefer my plan where I win the lottery and have a coachbuilder make me one. I think it's slightly more likely, after all.

Actually, no, I would have the coachbuilder do me that Challenger-look station wagon someone photoshopped once.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

beatdown posted:

Is the frameless up/down window thing new to subaru? I know they've always done frameless but I don't remember seeing that action in anything other the BMW.

Yeah, the old WRX/Imprezas didn't do it. It's probably something engineered by the supplier, so for all we know it might actually be the same mechanism as on a BMW.

Rabble posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8qEtOld0g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Heres the engine running from the engine bay.

Mmm listen to that tractor purr.

Oh, also you are cool and a cool person except for the decision to shoot those videos in portrait mode, which is uncool and a terrible trend.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 1, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Adobe PDF readers are buggy pieces of poo poo and are probably close to a number one vector for internet infections now that web browsers are finally getting their poo poo together in regards to security.

Never, ever use the Adobe viewer plug-ins and think hard before opening random mysterious PDFs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Elephanthead posted:

I hope the MID says Hella Driftu when the traction control kicks in.

It will award you kudos points.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cat Terrist posted:

Not a surprise.

Shouldnt be surprised how fast tuning shops are leaping on the Toybaro but I am. I honestly havent seen a car even before it officially gets on the streets be pulled apart, rebuilt and remade in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways.

By the time it hits the streets, there's going to be a huge array of kits, swaps, upgrades and toys that most other cars take years to have created.

Well, it's probably been included as part of their advertising and promotional budget to give away some early bodies in white or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Piano posted:

Toyota gives/gave lotttttssss of money to people who race Scion TC's, often throwing in a car as well.

I'd demand money if I was told to take a dive, too.

• Locked thread