Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The only thing you're missing is Color Options!

Because we all know that red cars go faster than other cars. It's a fact :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

How did they fit a second row of "seats" in the back?? What is this, a car for ANTS!?!

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Image dump from ft86club, talks about technical specifications.

Last couple of shots show some more of the interior.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 2, 2011

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

WRX's start at $25k.

Miata starts around $22k. Considering that it's the first car on the comparison chart it would make sense that the FRS would be comparable price wise.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Everyone already knows the Subaru version is going to come standard with a plaid vinyl wrap and complementary copy of mumford & sons' greates hits.

The scion version will fall apart after ten miles because the body kit wasn't installed correctly and the cold air intake was accidentally installed backwards.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

You take that back you dirty whore! That clock will draw in more buyers than a turbo version!

It's so functional and easy to read!

I think a much more plausible senario is that there is a dark and secretive warehouse in Russia somewhere, more closely guarded than the DeBeers diamond cache, that is just filled to the brim with Toyota digital clocks. Occasionally, a convoy of land rovers makes the dangerous journey through the Siberian tundra to retrieve the current model year's allotment of clocks. 1985 is alive and well inside that warehouse, hibernating in cold inventory boxes, waiting.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

Not absurdly long legs, just linebacker thick, especially at the knee. When I was running more last year, my calves were as thick as my wife's waist. I should have remembered that redwoods are famous for height too.

MY WIFE

Maybe she can drive the car.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Just realized that my uncle had a celica that I always wanted when I was becoming of-driving age that he instead traded in for a highlander...Well, he let me drive it a few times when I was 15, but I kept stalling out :(

Now I'm going to buy an FR-S, my childhood dream will come true.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Cowwan posted:

I would be all for a big and tall car thread. I find it difficult to get in most small cars with my stereotypically goon physique and long torso. Strangely my EF Civic fits me just fine, but it doesn't seem to particularly appreciate my weight.

If you're going to do a big and tall thread you need to have someone measure you floor to hips and hips to top-of-head, might even want to say floor to knee and knee to hips. The problem is some people are leg tall and some people are torso tall so total height really doesn't say much when you're sitting down.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Ft86club just posted the full 42 page training manual. It's lovely cel phone pics in Japanese but "ooo pretty pictures"

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The fender vent is functional and not just a stick on vanity piece. Granted, it could be a little less gaudy but even the base model scion version has some form of vent right there.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Toyota was responsible for the exterior styling. :) All these comments about the hideous wing make the "good looking Subaru" praise extra funny because the one thing subaru was actually responsible for every hates.

In my opinion the only thing wrong with that wing is that it looks like they pulled it out of their spare parts bin, it doesn't fit the curves of the car at all. It's probably not the production wing design and knowing Subaru the real wing will be twice as tall as the car...someone should photoshop a Plymouth thunderbird style wing on the back.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
http://blog.toyota.co.uk/ft-86-concept-becomes-gt-86-reality-as-new-toyota-sports-car-is-unveiled

official UK toyota.

edit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyotauk/sets/72157628126757273/with/6394227453/

Official Flickr

Car looks fantastic

Youtube test drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPeHaDb36PM&feature=feedu

Rabble fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 27, 2011

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jr-iYAtpWM&feature=related

Someone driving the 86 around the track, no music other than the sweet sound of the engine and rubber.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
No way it's 32k when the 370z is 31k.
No way they spent 5 years in development so they could sell another car that's already a pretty popular purchase.

I wish they would release the price already, the car goes on sale in April... No point getting excited for a car when you don't even know if you can afford it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

sanchez posted:

When does this stop holding water, 150hp, 100hp? It's not like power and a mythical jesus-chassis are mutually exclusive.

If Forza4 has taught me anything, it's that I can take even the shittiest of econoboxes and cram enough upgrades in it to compete head-to-head with a Ferrari.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/&#315...12473;%23events

ustream live from the Subaru press event, starts in a few minutes.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I dunno, it's a little bit up there in price but the toyota is supposed to be cheaper. Well, that and it's got about $3000 of "dealer options" already included (navi, Bluetooth). I say dealer options because it would cost an average buyer 3k to have those things installed IMO.

I wonder what the invoice cost will be.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those BRZ dash shots are givin me wood

But they're not wood paneled...oooooooooh

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I remember hearing that scions were a big hit with the elderly because they were cheap and you didn't have to haggle. But that was way back when the xB was still a box.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Scion had their unveiling about an hour ago. It looks like the automatic temperature A/C didn't make the cut on the base model. Here's hoping that it is going to be cheap...

http://www.frs-scion.com/

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Well, the press relea says "affordable" but that is just marketing lingo. So far the only thing we can assume is that the FR-S will be cheaper than the BRZ but pricier than the tC, and that the BRZ will be about the same cost as a base model WRX (per motortrend).

So, anywhere from 21-24k. Probably more toward 21 because the BRZ has Nav, auto temperature control, fog lights, HIDs, etcetera already included.. We should also assume that a FR-S with the same options as the BRZ will be priced the same.

NAIAS can't come soon enough.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
That article mentions that the car will be turbocharged, so uh, grain of salt.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It has plenty of room for wide tires, who cares if they don't have DISH?

Motortrend EiC says BRZ is $24k for premium and $27k for limited. That'll do.

I sure as hell hope those numbers are true.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Isizzlehorn posted:

By the way, stumbled upon this video (http://youtu.be/EKrh7wfwSvA) earlier of a quick run of a GT 86. While it's running with the slushbox, those are some pretty quick shifts for a slushbox. It'll be real interesting if the auto turns out to do 0-60 faster than the manual.

I remember reading that the slush box is about 10 mph slower on the top speed, but drat if it doesn't sound great.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I thought all cars had the sound tube, supposed to help with audio clues when using a stick.

Personally, I don't think it's enough. I want engine exhaust pumping directly into my face. I want to taste the engine.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Reganomics is the future of car manufacturing.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Numbers go in, Numbers come out; you can't explain that.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

D C posted:

I think the only good reason for a push start is if you dont need to put the key in the ignition.

Like BMW's Comfort Access, and like the Prius has, keep the key in your pocket, hop in the car it start and go.

Are you kidding!? What if the logic board for the push-button has a fault that lets the car transform into a crime fighting commando and the wiring connections turns into the sassy but lovable sidekick?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

I made fun in the OP about the ft86club forum guys whining about the clock.

goons whine about HVAC.

I've been trolling the poo poo out out the complainers on ft86club but the HVAC thing here takes the cake. Seriously, it's like an extra half pound of electronics in a car that has electronic steering and some stupid complicated injection system that Toyota developed for fuel economy. Out of every piece of electronc equipment that could fault on the car I'd think "air blows a little cool" would be low on the list compared to "car no longer turns left".

It's not even an issue of personal preference, some people do like things that others dont. No, it's that someone had to come up with the most asinine reason for why something was "bad". I'd like to imagine the guy who is afraid of bad wiring lives in a cave somewhere in that radio deadzone and has his posts written down on parchment, sealed with wax, and sent via donkey to a nearby computer center for posting online. God forbid the wiring in his computer came lose, that would be a catastrophe.

But maybe I'm overreacting.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Well you see the coefficient of drag over the Toyota badge...
:goonsay:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

shodanjr_gr posted:

Honestly the scion exterior tickles me better than the BRZ and the interior looks equally cheap on both based on press shots (hugeass navi-unit on the BRZ, 90s stereo unit on the FRS and jesus gently caress is that an LCD clock with discrete hour/minute buttons?)

PS: Has there been any word on whether this will ship with some sort of LSD in the back?

Yes, LSD is standard supposedly on both Manual and Automatic.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Complains about added weight of HVAC controls.

Weighs 300+ pounds.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
First thing I noticed is that it looked like an 86, then I read where they were calling it a 2 + 2 just like the 86 and it pretty much sealed the deal.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

The Toyota is definitely better. It's got less of the infamous black plastic. It also has a lot less awkward angles.

I wish the Toyota got the wrap around led highlight instead of that "light bar" thing in the headlight assembly. Man that wrap-around is sexy looking.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

shodanjr_gr posted:

Does it really matter? At least on Toyota's side, the price is basically fixed right?

Sort of. Someone was explaining it on the ft86club forums (grain of salt) that apparently they can price the car at whatever they want, they just can't make special deals on an individual basis. So if the website says $X then the dealer menu board has to say $X and they have to sell the car for $X. Now if $X includes market adjustment bullshit, well that's up to the dealer (but they still have to compete with the scion dealer down the street). Who knows when they can change the menu price or how often.

Jaopnik has a video of some 6'3" guy getting into the BRZ. Looks like tall people with the correct proportions will be ok.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
But what is that Aussie pricing in America freedom dollars?

It all comes down to price. Marketing schtick only goes so far when you're competing with cars that are tried and true. It's going to be 22k or no one is going to buy it, Toyota knows this and that's why they haven't released the price. If they are really worried about yen/USD conversion then they should buckle down and build some here in America. Otherwise, bite the bullet, write off the R&D, sell the thing for its mostly parts bin cost and hope to god that you make your money back on the aftermarket. You can't make money on a car that sits on the dealer's lot.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Piano posted:

This car is on our schedule as coming in the 19th and leaving the same day for my work to take measurements. I'll try to sneak in a test drive if there's time. I have no idea if we're getting a production spec car or if I'll be messing with it at all. 75% of the time we pass on anything small, as we make a lot more money on minivans and crap, but we'll see.

The Toyota rep is this nice middle aged lady and she told me the car was, in fact, "very cute". Good news right there ya'll :v:

Where do you work (if you don't mind me asking)?

---

Umm, I'm pretty sure that Scion is considering this car their "halo car" which everyone should know means they don't expect a lot of sales. It'll probably just look good in advertisements and on the showroom floor while johnny teenager buys a tC. Since the 86 is a global car I'm pretty sure they expect most of their sales in Japan and Europe but who knows, there seems to be a lot of aftermarket interest in this car. Your 90's JDM YO civic is 20 years old now, might be time for a new king of smoked headlights with a spoiler on top of a spoiler lime green with a silver racing stripe "investment" car.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
It'll also be at the Dallas show at the end of March. I can't wait to see if I truly fit in it and all my saving hasn't been for naught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Yeeeeeeeees!

If 6'7" mountain man can fit then drat if I'm too big.

So loving excited right now.

• Locked thread