Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yeah, depanding on when you go there thay can have a lot of extra microbrews, I've had bottle of Dogfish Head and the like.

And gently caress it, I like Sierra Nevada with my hilariously large piles of meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

Gah, you and your crazy tower hill Bodean's. Soho, man!

For whatever reason, I've always found Soho Bodeans to be the most consistently good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Okay, gonna be in London in less than a month now. Staying in Knightsbridge, but I don't want to eat there all the time. Where do I eat with my new spouse? No idea what to look for in that city.

If you're american/canadian come and gorge yourself on curry.

If you're form anywhere else, come and gorge yourself on curry.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lupita instead of Benitos Hat?
pffft

Edit: bonus points for Best Mangal though, if you find yourself in Fulham/Kensington Olympia, you owe it to yourself to get the best kebab in the city.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 18, 2013

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Not to derail too much, but if you can you should really, really get yourself to the Natural history museum (At least just see it form the outside, the building is stunning) and the National Gallery. The V&A, meh, not so much.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Kimchi Cult at the Black Heart are fab. The chicken thigh burger was incredibly tasty (though I'd recommend adding hot sauce) and the sharing plate of fries topped with kimchi, beef slices, spring onions... mmm, heaven. Think burgers are ~£8, the sides from £5ish. And of course the Black Heart serves some great beers, too (check out the bottle menu!) and plays good music and is generally the best pub in Camden.

I'm not as keen on the new Brewdog burger menu, though. I miss my Milwaukee :(

I need to go to the Blackheart again, great pub..

They'll probably have forgotten they barred me by now, *ahem*

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Down to Brighton and get a burger from the Trolls Pantry @ the Hobgoblin.

Hands down beats MeatMarket/Liquor and the rest. Only bad thing is them inevitably selling out early, and the toilets at the Hobgoblin being a portal literally into satans anus.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Burn Shoreditch to ashes already.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pollyanna posted:

I'm spending a few days in London beginning of August with my family - we're Americans here - and I have taken up the task of convincing everyone of where to eat. What kind of food could we get here that we couldn't back in the states? It doesn't have to be like, fine cuisine or anything, just somewhere to go on a Friday night or something. My family's picky, but I'll deal with that part. Thanks :3:

Just like, a whole tonne of Indian Curry. Comes in everything from street food to michelin star.

Black pudding as well.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

drgitlin posted:

I've never found a greek restaurant anywhere in the US that comes near Lemonia in Primrose Hill, either.

Quoted for truth, Lemonia is amazing, especially if you're with a bunch of people.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

No Wave posted:

Tayyab's is BYOB... if you don't go there I'm gonna get really pissed off

Lahore Kebab house if you actually want to sit down without waiting 8 hours.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

When you arrive for your booked table, you will still wait an a hour or more. Found this one out the hard way.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

kim jong-illin posted:

Needoo is just around the corner from Tayyab's and is run by a former Tayyab's cook. Same menu, cheaper, shorter waits.

I'd reccomend this, the food is identical.

Maybe I was particularly unlucky with Tayyabs, the food was excellent in the end.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Neris posted:

If you go take pictures of the queue and the burger and stuff!

Also, get us some concretes, ta :)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ineptmule posted:

So Picante Mexican Grill is right behind my office and has been closed for ages due to renovation. I think I got the recommendation from the map in OP.

Anyhow, it's open again and I think it's the best Mexican takeaway I've had in London. I took some guys from the office on Monday and we all thought it was pretty top notch.

This doesn't bode well for my wallet or waistline!

I work near victoria as well, and went there for lunch today. Great to see it back open, people were literally high fiving the staff on monday when it reopened :3

I still cant decide if its better than Benitos hat, but they both beat the hell out of Chipotle or Tortilla.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Now I cant decide if its Burger Frenzy week, or Burrito Madness.

One thing holding back a meetup around Victoria is there doesn't seem to be a single good pub :(

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Its good to be back..

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Going to Lemonia tonight, day of awesome food continues.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2008/jul/04/jayraynerreviewslemonia

If you ever need a place that will seat like 20 hungry people without a problem, place is perfect

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ha! Said almost the exact same words when I saw that pic.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Nobody got trip report on Five guys yet?

I'm almost over my weekend hangover enough to brave the queues.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've not been to Hawksmoor yet but MPW is decidedly meh.

Also full of the worst sort of city boy wankers.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ineptmule posted:

Picante Mexican does breakfasts and it's my favourite place around Victoria.

It's probably 15mins away from the coach station.

Quoted for truth.

The breakfast burritos are massive and you probably wont need lunch.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Isn't every day Burger Day?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Raffles posted:

Best Vietnamese places in London? I've got a hankering for some pho.

North of the river would be better.

Song Que in shoreditch, hands down.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

If you like Belgian beer and don't mind the price gouging, the Lowlander along long acre has a good selection.

The white horse right by Parsons green has an amazing selection, with the downside of being frequented by a good smattering of ra ra sloaney types.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

tentish klown posted:

You know that it's commonly called the Sloaney Pony right?

I do, used to live two streets away. On the day of the oxbridge boat race it was a spectacularly awful display of trust fund bastards.

Still, well staffed, great beers, nice couches, no piped in music..

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pitt Cue is even better but doesn't take bookings either. I'm actually struggling to think of a bbq/burger place that does.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jonathan_H posted:

I'm looking for an awesome italian place to take my girlfriend for her birthday before we go to the Theatre. Looking Soho/Covent Garden/Regent Street area although could travel further out if theres some particularly awesome.

There seems to be millions of places around Covent Garden, just not sure what the best is and TripAdvisor isn't really helping/worth trusting when Bella Italia & Zizzi's are near the top of the list.

Polpo.

You want to go to Polpo. Order lots, have some cocktails, it's pretty great.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

It's in Knightsbridge, so I imagine it's going to be full of insufferable posh arseholes.

edit: Not to suggest that you and yours are, but I've been out a fair bit around there and..yeah.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Our company Christmas party is at Polpo with a no-ceiling tab. How excited should I be and are there any cocktails I must order?

a) Jealous

b) Negroni

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Negroni? What exactly is it? And you don't have to be quite as jealous, I just found out we're on a set menu although I think the drink tab is still unlimited. However the big parent company party is the same night so I have to pace myself somewhat.

An unlimited bar tab in somewhere with cocktails as good at that is always something to be jealous of. They do a really good Old Fashioned too (If you like bourbon)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

http://www.meza-soho.co.uk/

Works christmas part is here. Anyone been before?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kaiho posted:

Fun tip for how to royally piss off a cocktail bartender: order an Old Fashioned when it's really busy in the bar. That stirring of ice for 8 minutes sure cuts down on the line!

Noto to turn that into cocktail chat, but that seems like a massive waste of time.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Better than Maccys, less good than Honest Burger/MeatMarket.

Super customisable burgers though, which is nice.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rockybar posted:

What's the queue for Polpo like? Thinking of going there for my birthday (party of four), looked at Bocca Di Lupo but they didn't have reservations for when I wanted (8:30-ish on a Saturday night, I like to eat later rather than earlier). Otherwise, any recommendations for similar Italian places? Also tempted by Racine, but I think I'd like a younger atmosphere.

edit: also, what are some good cocktail bars near Polpo?

The little cocktail bar underneath/part of Polpo itself is pretty great.

I thought the food there was really good, price perhaps a little high for the style. The queue on a Saturday at 8:30 is going to be hilariously long.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Neris posted:

And I heard Korean is going to be the next thing, there's been some pop-up stuff around it, but I may be talking out of my arse or repeating some PR i overheard or some junk.

I'm staking my money on this, Liverpool ahead of the curve as they just opened the first Korean restaurant in the city*

*the average meal out up here is so god-drat disappointing after London. Hundreds of chinese restaurants, all total poo poo.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Neris posted:

When you say decent, do you mean stripped down and affordable, like burgers? Because I think it has quite a way to go - you can't even really get decent tapas here yet. You can go to the Opera Tavern or the Salt Yard or Brindisa and get some ££££ but loving lovely spanish food, but it's not really down to basics and appealing.

However, http://cheesenbiscuits.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/andina-shoreditch.html is supposed to be pretty good? And Pisco sours are the new trendy thing, so that might herald in some more S. American style dining?

Pix-Bar is pretty great affordable and according to the girl from Pamplona I was working with, entirely authentic.

Technically Pincho and not Tapas but hey.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Neris posted:

Coffee near trafalgar square?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=206910253493714863976.0004d2859a862c696faf3&msa=0&dg=feature

There's a bunch in Soho and apparently some place called Notes near there! I'd probably want to walk up to Monmouth though. God their coffee is amazing. My other personal favourite is The Fleet River Bakery but that's over in Holborn, so better to combine with Covent Garden.

edit: Bollock Monkey, what about pub grub? The Old Dairy et al? Bull and Last in Highgate?

Notes is really good coffee, as is the cafe at the top of Snow + Rock (Bullet?)

Monmouth still do the second best coffee I've had in this country though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

therattle posted:

Someone took the bait...

Yeah, obvious I know.

Bold Street Coffee in Liverpool. They really, really know their stuff, and make perfect filter coffee / aeropress. Monmouth has the edge in Cappucinos though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Juice Packets posted:

gently caress. Yes. This is my local and they have never put a foot wrong. I do wish they'd start using Bonsoy though.

They even tell you when they give you your coffee that its better black with no sugar :P