Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Anybody been to Disiac on Greek Street? I bought two of their seafood meal Groupon vouchers when I was drunk and judgment was impaired, and I still haven't got around to using them.

The reviews are pretty good which is encouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Bollock Monkey posted:

I just got back from Tootoomoo in Crouch End (tootoomoo.co.uk). Holy gently caress, it was good. I had some vegetable tempura that was perfect and my partner had a beef dish that wasn't on the menu and it was absolutely divine - I could eat it all day. The beef was so tender and perfectly cooked and the spices were so yummy! We had a sharing platter for dessert that had a fruit and chocolate mousse with crunchy stuff on top and a pistachio crème brûlée that I could also have never stopped tasting.

The service was friendly and attentive but without being overbearing, and their lychee bellinis were pretty nice as well as the food. I highly recommend this place, they seem to know what they're doing and, well, they're bloody fab at it!

Awesome, that's just around the corner. I'll have to check it out.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Looking for a fun/interesting bar or pub to have my girlfriend's birthday drinks at next week. We're looking at Giant Robot in Clerkenwell, and thought about the Southampton Arms in Kentish Town but they don't take reservations.

We have some people coming into town (and leaving the same night) on national rail so ideally no more than 5 mins walk from a tube station and we don't want to go too far down any of the tubes!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Mantle posted:

Any goonpinions on Burger and Lobster in Soho? It was recommended by the friend that took us to the Hawksmoor, but his recommendation for the burger at Bishopsgate was way off. Which is better, the burger or the lobster? Or should I take my date to something like Flat Iron instead?

I like Burger and Lobster a lot, although I've never had the burger there because I love lobster...

I've only ever been to the one in Green Park as well, don't know the Soho one.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Man, I've never even heard of the Blackheart, and I Camden used to be the only place we ever went to drink.

How long's it been open?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

peanut- posted:

The Queen of Sheba in KT is still the best Ethiopian I've had in London, and I've tried a lot of them.

Glad to hear that one's good. It's on my route into town and I've been eyeing it up since I had some Ethiopian food in Ethiopia (!) last year.

(Yes I'm really bad at actually doing stuff rather than just thinking about it)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
All PINs should be 24 digits long: once you're too inebriated to enter it, you can't drink anymore!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Went to Tonkotsu Ramen last night with my sister. Dropped in on a whim while walking to Koya due to having seen the name here and there.

We really loved it. Had the Tonkotsu and Tokyo ramen and shared them so we had equal amounts of each; gyoza and the tomato salad to start (which was beautifully simple); and a couple of cocktails (hers was better - something with a lot of ginger.)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So Picante Mexican Grill is right behind my office and has been closed for ages due to renovation. I think I got the recommendation from the map in OP.

Anyhow, it's open again and I think it's the best Mexican takeaway I've had in London. I took some guys from the office on Monday and we all thought it was pretty top notch.

This doesn't bode well for my wallet or waistline!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'd say there's no contest vs Benito's Hat - Picante's fillings are better, more varied, and a lot more generous serving-wise.

I went to Lupita in Charing Cross last week and thought they were very good. Also I love Wahaca because of their pickled onions and pork dish. Both do that awesome light toasting thing on their burritos, but are more sit downish* so I don't include them in my 'best Mexican takeout' award!

* Although Wahaca's takeaway stall on southbank is great.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Picante: I'll be going again next week (I've already made tomorrow and Friday's packed lunches :(). Want to try out their online ordering!

Might be fun to get a goon crew together one lunchtime? Or indeed after work drinks one day if there are so many Victoria folks.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Maybe not the place for this but it's to do with London and food...

Was walking with the missus on Hampstead Heath yesterday and an older guy walked past with a bag full of little langoustine/lobster/strange crustacean things that he claimed to have picked from the pond. Apparently you need special permission?

Was he:
A) Having a laugh and bought them at a fishmonger
B) Insane
C) Poaching freshwater crustaceans
D) All of the above

Edit: Just searched 'Hampstead Pond Crustaceans' and apparently they are crayfish that have been there for a while. People do poach them.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 4, 2013

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Seems the risk is that they will spread elsewhere if people are encouraged to catch and remove.

I guess my freshwater bio sucks because I thought crayfish were more like squid. Thinking of cuttlefish probably.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I went last night, was good - although I've not been keeping up to date with burger developments lately for comparison.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Alas, that's a shame... Always liked that place although admittedly I haven't eaten there for ages.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Picante Mexican does breakfasts and it's my favourite place around Victoria.

It's probably 15mins away from the coach station.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
drat you all. We don't have an Xmas party this year because half the team is away and we're all too busy.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Anyone got any idea for a place that can do 15 people +/- a couple, near-ish St. Paul's? It's for a Saturday evening in three weeks, so I imagine places will be filling up.

Up to £25 per head, and not something incredibly meaty as there will be some veggies.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Picante Victoria is closing forever :( and Picante Blackfriars may not reopen.

My work lunchtime options just got a lot worse.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

therattle posted:

I want to take my special lady-friend out on Saturday night She is vegetarian, and gluten-intolerant. Somewhere nice. Any suggestions? Not Mildred's or Vanilla Black. North or Central preferred. I might just try Manna in primrose Hill but I was hoping for something more exciting, like Nopi (fully booked).

I've heard good things about The Gate. There's one right next to Sadler's Wells.

My girlfriend is veggie and we've been meaning to go for ages.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
STOP

INCREASE, ABILITY OF
MIND AND BODY

Glorious.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Lupita is really, really great and it's owned by some famous Mexico City taquería (El Farolito if that means anything?) so I'm assuming it's fairly authentic.

This. I do like Wahaca but Lupita definitely comes out on top.

But I think London has a long way to go on Mexican, although we're definitely waking up to it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Alas, Picante near Victoria closed :(

I work around the corner and witnessed their 'Goodbye' post on Facebook.

They do still have their branch in Blackfriars open though.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Went to the Foodie Festival at Kenwood House with the bf and had a fantastic time. Lots of alcohol, not actually that much in the way of food really. Unless you wanted sausages. Or jams/relishes.

I went with my gf and a friend and it was pretty good. She's a veggie so there was very little for her, but also we got lucky and got free tickets. I think if we'd bought our tickets I'd have felt a bit ripped off, having to pay for everything on top of the entry fee.

It was all worth it for the Gaucho BBQ though. My god.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

We got the tickets on a 2 for 1 weeks before, but we found out later we could have got in free because the bf is NHS. :(

2 for 1 is pretty good though!

There were a few other stalls I would have eaten at if I was enough of a fatty to have two meals. Or maybe I'd just have got another slab of Gaucho BBQ steak. What did you have?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Of all the pubs in that area, you went to the worst one.

Also if you liked Sainsburys it's lucky that you didn't discover Waitrose because it would have blown your mind.

There really aren't that many in that area (I live there) but yeah, O'Neills is pretty much only good for watching rugby when Ireland is playing.

If you have a hidden gem pub in Muswell Hill that you know of, I'd really, really like to know about it. My favoured local closed like a year ago (The Alexandra) and that was only good because it quite deliberately did not subscribe to the bullshit and pretension of almost every other drinking establishment within like a mile radius. It was actually pretty poo poo, and the owner could be... touchy, to say the least.

Edit: OK, the John Baird is hardly pretentious but it's also just really forgettable and boring.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 25, 2014

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

I'd recommend Rasa in Stoke Newington.

Yes! This place is excellent. I've eaten at both the meaty and the veggie one and love them. It's Keralan festival food which is nice because it's really quite distinct from the style of Indian you tend to get elsewhere. I'd really encourage anyone to try the veggie place even if they are meat fans - I love eating meat and yet the food experience in the veggie one is perhaps more exceptional.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That's the thing isn't it - you can't withhold it without making it a huge deal. It's probably working as intended because if you really want to withhold the tip, you'll actually have to tell someone at the restaurant why their service wasn't up to scratch rather than simply not dumping your change on the table and shuffling out quietly.

It means you sometimes get actual feedback about your service but it massively discourages the feedback from happening.

I do think that people working in the industry should be a little more prepared to see tips withheld from time to time, unless they are really confident in their level of service.

That's my long train journey opinion of someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It's not too far...

I went to school in Golders Green all those years ago, and I was about to suggest Cafe Japan... but it looks like there has been a spate of very negative reviews lately which is a shame as it was the bollocks back then. Might be worth poking your head round the door to see if you get a good feeling about if you're ever in GG for some reason, but it looks like its not worth a special trip out there any more.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah that sounds excellent. My girlfriend is veggie and we live nearby, so we'll have to try it!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

therattle posted:

Good! It was properly good. I want to spread the word because it deserves to flourish. Where are you guys? I'm in Stroud Green.

I'm up in Muswell Hill. I actually suggested this place to my mum today as she's getting married in a few weeks and I thought this could work well for a nice low-key wedding dinner (which is what she wants.)

sweat poteto posted:

Just stumbled into one of the best vege meals in memory here in Bath at Acorn. I think it's new. £20 fixed price menu (before 6:30pm) is insane.

That sounds great but it's a shame that it is not in London! I got to Bath occasionally with my girlfriend so I will try to remember it :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Koya is very good but I also really like Tonkotsu, just down the road. It's not Japanese-run but it is authentic and excellent. Ramen rather than Udon and the menu is smaller, but it tastes awesome.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

NLJP posted:

Ate at tonkotsu east two days ago and I thought it was pretty poor honestly. Everyone aside from me had the Tonkotsu which was pretty tasteless, the Tokyo (Shoyu) was better.

We also had some tasteless, slightly burnt gyoza. In the area near Koya in general, no noodle soup stands up to them except the La Mian soups at Lanzhou Noodle Bar on Cranbourn street, imo.

I'm surprised by this. I've gone about five times and every time I've visited it's been good. Although I agree that to my tastes at least, the Shoyu/Tokyo is better. They do seem to have made some of the portions a bit smaller since I first went, however.

To be honest though I was kind of underwhelmed by Koya. I will have to try and get there before it closes to give it another shot.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I can't remember what I had, but pretty much everything you guys have mentioned sounds delicious so I clearly didn't choose well.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Honestly, I've been to Mexico and I don't get this whole 'UK Mexican Food Scene isn't Mexican' thing. The only difference I could tell is that over there it's kinda rare to make a dish that mixes different, uh, components? Not sure that's the word, but that mixes stuff together. Stuff like your guac and your beans and your salsa doesn't seem to be mixed in with the meaty stuff or whatever. Otherwise it seems like it's really all the same stuff. IDGI.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Jesus, what a cop-out. Why's it never going to be as good as that? :mad:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Oh man, yes, there was a great Mexican place my friend took me to at the end of Portobello, under the flyover. Is that the one you mean? It was years ago and before I got into Mexican food really and I'd forgotten it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
[ Double post ]

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I've mentioned it in this thread before so sorry if it's repetitive, but The Gate is meant to be excellent and there is one just next to Sadler's Wells theatre. My girlfriend is veggie and I'm going to take her there one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Kaiho posted:

Alternatively, your own house - steak is the most overpriced thing ever.

This. Cooking steak has to be one of the most rewarding things to do in the kitchen.