Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

RandomPauI posted:

For context, when a white person claims they're treated like a non-person they implicitly mean they're treated the way they treat minorities. I don't think the claimants ever self-reflect enough to make the connection.

It's not just minorities (although it often is, I'm not disagreeing) but people accused of crimes or that have gone to prison also get the treatment of being a non-person. Atonement and forgiveness is almost impossible to get nowadays in a culture that lives on outrage and "otherizing" people (hope that's the right word).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"It's not just minorities who are just, you know, out there living. It's also dudes who rape and murder! White dudes even!"

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Look, at this point this is just a circus, I'll just leave this here, It explains what I think and that's that. Anybody else that want's to dunk and gently caress around is welcome to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhcSHLNZuQ&t=280s

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Look, at this point this is just a circus, I'll just leave this here, It explains what I think and that's that. Anybody else that want's to dunk and gently caress around is welcome to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhcSHLNZuQ&t=280s

I don't feel like he actually said much there. I mean of course Louis CK is going to still be able to find an audience if he wants to, and I don't think anyone's advocating for the comedy police to physically bar him from performing forever. Some people may actively wish he'd go away forever on his own, or that he'd be denied major platforms, but I personally just wanted him to show some evidence of growth/contrition and find a way to be funny again. I'm not personally owed an apology because a comedian I liked was a creep, or if his comeback isn't working fo rme, but as a fan it's still disappointing, and any excitement I had for his return is pretty much gone for now. If he does better material later on, maybe I'll check it out (especially if it's outside standup, where I don't think he does his best work anymore), but I won't blame anyone who thinks he's had more than enough chances at this point.

Going back to the murderer thing from the Norm clip, yeah, murderers probably should be able to get jobs once they've done their time, but realistically if you were employing a murderer, you'd probably be a bit more vigilant when it comes to inappropriate behavior from that employee than someone else. Forgiveness is great, but it doesn't mean everyone's memory of the past is erased. If a murderer gets out of prison and still acts like an rear end in a top hat, I think people might reasonably wonder if he actually is a better person now.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 9, 2019

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Sinteres posted:

I don't feel like he actually said much there. I mean of course Louis CK is going to still be able to find an audience if he wants to, and I don't think anyone's advocating for the comedy police to physically bar him from performing forever. Some people may actively wish he'd go away forever on his own, or that he'd be denied major platforms, but I personally just wanted him to show some evidence of growth/contrition and find a way to be funny again. I'm not personally owed an apology because a comedian I liked was a creep, or if his comeback isn't working fo rme, but as a fan it's still disappointing, and any excitement I had for his return is pretty much gone for now. If he does better material later on, maybe I'll check it out (especially if it's outside standup, where I don't think he does his best work anymore), but I won't blame anyone who thinks he's had more than enough chances at this point.

Going back to the murderer thing from the Norm clip, yeah, murderers probably should be able to get jobs once they've done their time, but realistically if you were employing a murderer, you'd probably be a bit more vigilant when it comes to inappropriate behavior from that employee than someone else. Forgiveness is great, but it doesn't mean everyone's memory of the past is erased.

Of course the victim has it worse and a murderer is a bad person. I don't think Norm's going to be disagreeing with you there and he says himself that it's self evident but I like the fact that he's got enough nuance and tact to think about things through.

As for the rest of what you wrote, I agree with you and I think it's well said.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

bango skank posted:

pretty funny that the people getting hysterical about loving jokes in the stand up comedy thread are the ones acting like theyre dunking on others, thats the true comedy here imho

just jokes brah!

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t599807-9/

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I'm not defending the others, but would you shut the gently caress up? Every single one of your posts is a half sentence "lol ok you <fox news watcher / nazi / etc > person, am i rite". We get it, you have the moral high ground.

Unless you're doing a bit where you're actually aping Louis by hitting the lowest common denominator humor, in which case you're a genius.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I will endeavor to write more essays just for you

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I will endeavor to write more essays just for you

You are wading into cringe territory, I'm afraid.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
For gently caress sake this thread. Please somebody recommend some comedy (Not bootleg Ck). I’d recommend something, but I’m having a hard time these days finding something good. I’m listening to the freshest stuff I can find on Spotify, meaning 2014 stuff. Wish I could find a James acaster set or something for my flight.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tom Segura owns

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

100% agreed on Tom Segura. Bert Kreischer's another good one who's getting a little more notice lately it seems. Beyond that, I'm more going by your 2014 cutoff date and even though they had stuff at the time all of John Mulaney / Kyle Kinane / Matt Braunger are still going strong with new specials pretty regularly and it's all still top quality. I'll admit to being a little spotty myself as far as legitimately new names to name from the past few years.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Feels like the podcast related comedy boom has really died off

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Thanks. I’ll check Bert Kreischer

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I still get a kick out of the Jackie and Laurie show.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone watch any of Netflix's new thang Comedians of the World? So far I've only watched Neal Brennan's and Ivan Decker's (both of which I really enjoyed). Also, why in the fuuuuuuuuuuuck were Chris D'Elia and Nick Swardson chosen as two of the four US comics?! (besides the fact that a broand an idiot are super accurate representations of 2019 America)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

XIII posted:

Anyone watch any of Netflix's new thang Comedians of the World? So far I've only watched Neal Brennan's and Ivan Decker's (both of which I really enjoyed). Also, why in the fuuuuuuuuuuuck were Chris D'Elia and Nick Swardson chosen as two of the four US comics?! (besides the fact that a broand an idiot are super accurate representations of 2019 America)

Delia is way too pleased to laugh at his own jokes. That said, the last thing I watched of his was loving terrible and I at least laughed a couple of times at this one.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ron Funches just released a special. I haven't watched it yet, but I like him, so.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Megazver posted:

Ron Funches just released a special. I haven't watched it yet, but I like him, so.

It's very good, and so is Nicole Byer's new special (part of Comedians of the World).

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
I thought this review of the Funches special was pretty great

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lgfnjMzLDY

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

mrfart posted:

For gently caress sake this thread. Please somebody recommend some comedy (Not bootleg Ck). I’d recommend something, but I’m having a hard time these days finding something good. I’m listening to the freshest stuff I can find on Spotify, meaning 2014 stuff. Wish I could find a James acaster set or something for my flight.

I would say Amy Schumer, but as we all know she's just eye candy.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Schumer was better when she was doing Anthony Jeselnik's material and radically started to suck the moment she pretended to get 'woke' cmv

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Chris D'elia is one of those comedians who is naturally funny, yet whose actual material mostly sucks.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Tig Notaro, Ellen Degeneres and Jeaneane Garofalo all have some great specials you can't go wrong watching.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Does anybody else find themselves in possession of way too much knowledge of LA comedians? Like, I've gone down various podcast comedian rabbit holes and I just finished listening to Theo Von with Jim Jefferies and mate. I think I need a massive detox from all these guys and gals. Mindy, the comedy store, Bobby Lee. Your Moms House just featured Dr. Drew to announce he'll be doing a regular show in their studio. Which is now closing the loop of Loveline etc. The thing is, the entire network of comedians podcasting bullshit on each others streams is something I love but just.... ugh.. is there any other network of these people that aren't LA/UCB affiliated?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Listen to Cum Town and let it poison your taste in comedy forever, friendo.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I completely fell out of stand-up/comedy outside of Cum Town after 2016. And Chapo, but that doesn't count. Definitely do yourself a favor and look up some random clips on YouTube. Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNg5J7MXgA4 Alt-Right Homer Simpson, or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0j1EoiFuik Nick's Dead Son, there's a shitload of good bits on there. The actual podcast is a BIT harder to get into because it's a lotta chaff. If you listen from the start, though, you can hear just... the best bullying ever. Of Seth Cockfield and Tom Myers and about 10 or so other nobodies that there's some godlike stories about.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 10, 2019

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apoplexy posted:

Schumer was better when she was doing Anthony Jeselnik's material and radically started to suck the moment she pretended to get 'woke' cmv

I turned on a Lisa Lampanelli special once only knowing her from the roasts, and holy poo poo she is the last loving person I want to hear talk about womanhood and her life experiences

The roasts are false advertising for 90% of comics

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Does anybody else find themselves in possession of way too much knowledge of LA comedians? Like, I've gone down various podcast comedian rabbit holes and I just finished listening to Theo Von with Jim Jefferies and mate. I think I need a massive detox from all these guys and gals. Mindy, the comedy store, Bobby Lee. Your Moms House just featured Dr. Drew to announce he'll be doing a regular show in their studio. Which is now closing the loop of Loveline etc. The thing is, the entire network of comedians podcasting bullshit on each others streams is something I love but just.... ugh.. is there any other network of these people that aren't LA/UCB affiliated?

Listen to an audiobook or something.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Brody Stevens died. loving bummer.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

oh goddamnit no. this actually hurts

https://theblast.com/comedian-brody-stevens-dead-suicide/

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Jesus christ. I know he's talked about depression a lot, but I had no idea he had it this bad.

This is really lovely news.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

this sucks

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
loving hell

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
F

I could never tell if his anger was an act or not, but I guess it wasn't?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnRoycomic/status/1099079892241530881

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never heard of the guy but, god drat, comedians are more self destructive than rock musicians it seems. Who was the last complete rear end in a top hat that offed themselves and everyone breathed a sigh of relief? Bud Dwyer comes to mind and that was like 35 years ago. Why do only cool, smart and funny people seem to whack themselves?

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

yes energy yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Bro-DY St-EVEns