Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I've been a fan of Eric Andre's stuff in the past but this last special was a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

what was your favorite special recently?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
been planning to check out that Eddie Pepitone special myself

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

escape artist posted:

Watched it last night, it's great.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

escape artist posted:

WHOA! I love that guy, seen him once.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Somebody got Brody to the ballpark for the season

https://twitter.com/howardkremer/status/1286755051680067585?s=20

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^That's great

XIII posted:

Unrelated: Kyle Kinane's newest special, Trampoline in a Ditch, is available to stream on Pandora (wide release on the 24th) and I'm pretty stoked to listen to it. The two tracks I've heard have both been great

Also, reminder about this. It's great too.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

https://www.vulture.com/2020/08/jeff-ross-jessica-radtke-alleged-sexual-relationship-at-15.html

Just another reminder that Jeff Ross is a pedophile and that all your favorite macho truth teller comedians who have remained silent on this are gigantic cowards and pussies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wow that one took a while to appear given it was doing the rounds again recently and on the tails of the Chris D'Elia thing, and Ross even acknowledged it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Jim Gaffigan got a little feisty on Twitter last night and the hard right nutballs are going crazy.

So, is his new special worth watching? The last one I watched was way over a decade ago and I didn't really enjoy the subjects he talked about (food mainly), but he's really quick and funny off the cuff in interviews and on podcasts so I feel like I should like him more.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Jim remains one of the funnier comedians working today, of the clean set it's only him and Brian Regan that I even bother watching.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ariza posted:

Jim Gaffigan got a little feisty on Twitter last night and the hard right nutballs are going crazy.

So, is his new special worth watching? The last one I watched was way over a decade ago and I didn't really enjoy the subjects he talked about (food mainly), but he's really quick and funny off the cuff in interviews and on podcasts so I feel like I should like him more.

Ha I feel exactly the same way, never really cared about his actual sets but whenever I hear him on CBB or whatever, he comes across as a totally good and fun dude. His twitter work last night was solid, good job!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Jim remains one of the funnier comedians working today, of the clean set it's only him and Brian Regan that I even bother watching.

I'd add Nate Bargatze to that list

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
did you know he's pale

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I never much liked his specials proper but whenever he's been in stuff he's seemed like a perfectly nice and funny guy, not shocked he told some of the most overtly hateful freaks in the country he doesn't give a gently caress if they like his stuff or not.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

XIII posted:

I'd add Nate Bargatze to that list

Nate Bargatze is great. He's one of the rare clean comics where I don't even notice that his act is clean, I just notice that it's funny.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Ryan Stout is another good clean comedian. Relatively unknown but it looks like he came out with an album in January of last year.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I would kill for this to be the beginning of a post hippie dippie weatherman Carlin style turn for Gaffigan

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Riptor posted:

I would kill for this to be the beginning of a post hippie dippie weatherman Carlin style turn for Gaffigan

It'd be extremely in line with how weird this year has been

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know this came out in 2018 but I didn't see it at the time, and now I'm subject to clips of it everytime I drive a longer distance and put on the Netflix channel on Sirius... but why did Netflix think it was a good idea to pay for a Fred Armisen special where it's all about drums, to an audience full of drummers? Like, I get niche humor but even as someone who gets the gags, there's just nothing really there.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know this came out in 2018 but I didn't see it at the time, and now I'm subject to clips of it everytime I drive a longer distance and put on the Netflix channel on Sirius... but why did Netflix think it was a good idea to pay for a Fred Armisen special where it's all about drums, to an audience full of drummers? Like, I get niche humor but even as someone who gets the gags, there's just nothing really there.

Is Jon Wurster producing it?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Fred Armisen's drummer stand up is great. I don't know poo poo about drumming and I still loved it. But maybe I just love Fred. I listen to Tim Heidecker's podcast (which I highly recommend) and Fred occasionally pops in since their good friends and it's always a good time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maarak posted:

Is Jon Wurster producing it?

You'll be sad to hear there is no Wurster involvement.

Jingleheimer posted:

Fred Armisen's drummer stand up is great. I don't know poo poo about drumming and I still loved it. But maybe I just love Fred. I listen to Tim Heidecker's podcast (which I highly recommend) and Fred occasionally pops in since their good friends and it's always a good time.

Maybe it needs to be seen in full and with the visual aspect? I can't put my finger on it. I don't have strong feelings for Fred either way, I know some people can't stand him but he's definitely done stuff I've enjoyed and I do mean to watch more of Portlandia after I kinda trailed off in s3 or so.

I've not listened to Heideckers podcast, but what I've seen of Office Hours is a lot of fun, especially when he ragged on one of the Florida dummies running for office, and when Chris James appeared.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Fred Armisen is one of those people I can tell is talented and understand why people like, but absolutely cannot stand. I wish him every success in the world, so long as I don't have to watch it happen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I like Armisen in some of the Documentary Now! eps & some SNL stuff, but sometimes he feels too controlled for me. Like I know all comedians are trying to remain in control of their jokes, but he can come off as robotic in his delivery, to me. Like you can tell from his eyes that he is beep-booping the perfect delivery. I would do the same thing, if I were a sketch comedy artist, but I would wear shades.

Disclaimer: The above is what I've seen of him. I haven't watched Portlandia because I'm not American and it would be dumb to do so

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Carthag Tuek posted:

I like Armisen in some of the Documentary Now! eps & some SNL stuff, but sometimes he feels too controlled for me. Like I know all comedians are trying to remain in control of their jokes, but he can come off as robotic in his delivery, to me. Like you can tell from his eyes that he is beep-booping the perfect delivery. I would do the same thing, if I were a sketch comedy artist, but I would wear shades.

Disclaimer: The above is what I've seen of him. I haven't watched Portlandia because I'm not American and it would be dumb to do so

Can confirm. Am an American and do not recommend it.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm a drummer and I like Fred but even I thought about stopping that stand up halfway through. It seemed too... tame? Boring? I think he's much better suited to sketch comedy.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Portlandia is amazing. I’m American, but never been to the northwest.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

fred armisen has dead sociopath eyes and every story I've seen from women who have dated him confirms that theory

edit: here's a quote (from this Gawker article full of dirt about how terrible he is to women) from his ex-wife, Elizabeth Moss:

quote:

"One of the greatest things I heard someone say about him is, 'He's so great at doing impersonations. But the greatest impersonation he does is that of a normal person.' To me that sums it up.

and no one would know 'people doing an impression of a real human being' better than a died in the wool Scientologist

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 13, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Awww, I loved Stand-Up For Drummers! It was my favorite stand-up special that came out that year. I'm not a drummer, but I am a musician, I've played in bands, and I know drummers, so I got almost all the jokes and references and laughed my rear end off the whole time. I was most impressed and amused by the regional accents and the drumsets and styles representing different decades. I totally get that it was a high-concept stand-up special that might not appeal to everyone, but I appreciated that it was totally different from anything else ever, and also hilarious.

And for the record, I was usually annoyed by Fred on SNL, but loved Portlandia more often than not. I'm not a hipster (I swear!), but I'm the right age and demographic to know a lot of them and what they're into, so most of the jokes and concepts landed for me, and Carrie Brownstein is adorable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The only people I've ever met that hate Portlandia were the very people the show was making fun of.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Portlandia is by it's very existence a sketch show - for each season there is 20: 40: 40 ratio of good : ok : bad sketches.

That's it. That's all. Put a bird on it. Obnoxious bike man, tangled headphone cord art with Jeff Goldblum so on so forth

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I thought it was consistently great for the first 2 seasons. After that the consistency started to fall off until the last few seasons where it was like 1 good sketch per episode.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I couldn’t get past the first two minutes of Chapelle’s SNL monologue.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's okay SNL sucks rear end

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I thought it was fine, some good parts but some incredibly lazy. White people don’t like masks what about klan masks SO CLEVER. And yes I know that comedians can take worn out jokes and use their own inflection/voice to improve them but this really was just low hanging fruit.

Him smoking on stage was absolutely pretentious though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cael posted:

I thought it was fine, some good parts but some incredibly lazy. White people don’t like masks what about klan masks SO CLEVER. And yes I know that comedians can take worn out jokes and use their own inflection/voice to improve them but this really was just low hanging fruit.

Him smoking on stage was absolutely pretentious though.

Hes been doing the smoking thing for a while now.

The Kung Flu thing....gently caress, he's absolutely better than that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wow the final season of the eric andre show was bad. the street pranks were ok, but the celebrity segments seemed way more condensed, like they got nothing out of most of them (that ballplayer guy, griffin in the final episode, he was the best, probably).

also i watched the "making of" (theres no reason to do that, but it came on so) and only two guests ever walked off? thats pretty wild

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was mixed on the studio stuff, I think more people were at least expecting "something" but there were still a lot of funny things. I quite enjoyed the rapper ninja warrior stuff to end the episodes with as some of them seemed legitimately pissed. Was weird they left the interview in with the lady who died since filming, did they just not realize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah rapper ninja warrior was great and should have had more runtime

i just googled the Naya Rivera episode, apparently they did realize and "had a blast" (when they filmed) so they aired it because of that:
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/naya-rivera-eric-andre-show-death-b1719651.html

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 4, 2020