Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm a vegetarian monster that refuses using beer. Help me with makin veg chili.

I'm enjoying which is pretty much slow cooking those dull chili starter bottles with 1 can o chickpeas with 2 black beans and sometimes red kidney beans. I toss in soy chorizo and 8oz of hatch valley salsa. Then I ether toss in whatever mushrooms catch my eye Bella or button, and sometimes cubed drained tofu that I baked a bit beforehand.
Tempeh grated into a fine dust works as filler and once in a blue moon I throw in some diced carrots. I slow cook the whole batch over 12 to 24 hours on low and stir and add some water as needed.
I enjoy what comes out as a bitter decent heat chili but I'm just getting bored with it after a few years of it.

Anyone have a kickass vegetarian chilli without beer that I can slowcook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Crazyeyes posted:

I know a guy who makes some banging veg chili where he subs cashews for the meat. That is about the only modification to standard chili protocols.

Whoa. I'll do that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

why not ditch the lovely fake meat stuff and just go all in on beans and veg? I'd also cut the carrots too imo. Carrots are great but not meant for chili. If you want natural sweet, just up the amount of onions. You could also use some soda in place of beer as well.

Shrooms are great in chili, and you can mince them up a lot to mimic ground beef/slow cooked beef that falls apart. I've done veg chili for hippie siblings and that's generally what I stick with.

Also, I would think 12 hours, much less 24, is way excessive when you're not cooking any meats to break down.

Portabella fell apart bad when slow cooked but the button mushrooms did not. The tempeh ground up just thickens it up a bit while being healthy, its a filler.
What shrooms ya recommend?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

hahahaha.

junkie, did you try with mushrooms?

Tasty yes.
Dad sent me a bottle of "poo poo the Bed" hot sauce and put half the bottle in there. Good flavor heat as well.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 14, 2016

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Dehydrated beans, how do I not gently caress this up? Can I soak it with flavorings or will the overnight soak demand water and just gently caress up, "not pure water"? I was thinking vegetable broth and or spices nothing acidic.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The soaking them forever thing, seems to be old hat. So I did a quick wash/boil and added them to a slow cooker for 9 hours on low with spices and a few dryed chilis. Then pureeing half the beans, and adding the norm stuff after that. I'll report how it goes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

OK so the don't soak the beans just rinse/boil/rinse slowcook with veg broth or I suppose meat broth is magic. Its got a good bean flavor and the juice is delish. I slow cooked them with diced sweet onions, dehydrated chilis and spices. Then for the end salsa and soy chorizo. A+

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

It's fear

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Enourmo posted:

I'd like to see someone work mushrroms into a chili and have it work.

Did button mushrooms and it tasted good.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Buy dehydrated beans dont overnight soak em, jus boil em drain em blend half an toss them in after you slow cook the rest. That is if you're using an acidic base since beans dont cook well in that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Do tell. Bake em?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Elblanco posted:

I'll give that a shot, my oven isn;t too bad, just runs on gas. Though I'd rather use it for a few hours than have to buy a dehydrator. Wouldn;t use that thing for anything else.

Dog treats! Not the peppers, but like sweet potato slices all thick like.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Green chilies salsa as my base for veg chili was a mistake, it's so loving good with chips but can't carry that weight

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Meatless chili also loving good somehow great fridge cold next day

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

1/3 cashews
1/3rd dehydrated beans:black,garbanzo, whatever
1/6th cheap rear end sala (i try just about all kinds)
1/6th fake meats(tempeh, tofu, fake ground beef

Add habanero powder:to taste
Add some other chili powder seasonings
1 baby can of that Adobo sauce
1 soy chorizo (or not)

Start with slow cooking overnight dehydrated beans on low, add a few inches of water over them. Caution adding too little water is bad adding too much is kinda impossible.
You can add the cashews too, why not now?

Go to bed

Next morning add garbanzo beans from a can because I think I dreamt that dehydrated garbanzo beans are real.

Stir it up. Add seasonings cover whole mess with fake meats an cover entire thing like it's a lasagna with like 1 cm of salsa (your fav cheap salsa, don't use sala you hate but keep it simple)

Did you remember to pick up that soy chorizo from trader joes? toss that in now.

Add that baby can of chipotle with adobo sauce on top and don't stir it in
Make sure there is enough water in that it's like a cm from the top.

Put it on for like another ten hours on low and open a window your house smells like chili take a nap with a window open.

After a few naps stir up the chili around the chipotle adobo on top and open some more windows your eyes are starting to burn (sometimes I use some ground up ghost peppers now)

Take a cocktail fork and fish the chipotle on top out of the chili because jesus christ eating those make my friends gently caress up a toilet like a litter box. Leave as much of the sauce in as possible though that's good stuff.

20 hours later you should notice the whole pot is turning a few shades darker and the cashews are soft.

Take a half a cup of dark roast coffee and toss it in add like a few tablespoons of agave to taste and you are done!

Its pretty dang good hot, its amazing the next day cold, right out of the refrigerator

I call it Insufferable Vegetarian Chili, It might be vegan I don't know I'm not a doctor

EDIT SPELLING

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 23, 2017

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Yeah you can buy dried chickpeas, check in the bulk section of your local market.

Also, you misspelled vegetarian. ;)

Gonna look for them. Aldis failed again!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

In not-meat chat, has anyone tried that grilled watermelon thing the internet's been on about?

wha?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Elizabethan Error posted:

congrats, you've created Salsa Fake-Chicken.
:barf:

Its got Chili Beans my Polish grandma called it Chili and its Chili

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Dehydrated beans with a few inches of water over the bean line with cashews for 75 mins in a pressure cooker on manual will result in perfect beans and buttery magic cashews. After that I add soy chorizo + adobo sauce and my seasoning + a bunch of salsa and any Textured Vegetable Protein mix it up good and turn the pressure cooker back onto a chili setting for 45 minutes.
End result is pretty loving tasty.
My seasoning is Ghost, habanero,and cayenne pepper powdered up.
My shits sound likes pop rocks

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I felt a cool breeze last night.
Time to start cooking chili again

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Whats king bean for chili, for me its black and some chickpeas

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

5436 posted:

A lotta recipes in here, any people generally have made and liked? I know this is blasphemous but I like beans in the chili!

I grew up with meatless, almost all bean chili and I'll die on this hill!
I toss in tempeh(sometimes), Textured Vegetable Protein, Soy Chorizo, adobo, and spices and a whole lot of beans

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Both

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Spicey pickle slices, in my chili?...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Is chili a sandwich?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

I did that a few weeks ago and I spent the entire time eating it thinking it would be have been way better with beef in it

you goofed then

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

This pancake batter isnt noticable at all!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Nothing red must go in

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Bubble Yum to taste...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Even with my fake meats i want that poo poo gets ground up sos to gets outta the ways. If I cant drink my chilli in a hurry I failed.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

something magic about my veggie chili days later eaten from the fridge cold as this delish, spicy dirt, all beany

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I live in Florida now, how can I add a taste of my home state to my vegan chili, don't say Meth it's a gimme

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Datil peppers and sprinkle on gator meat to dress the top.

Vegan Gator meats gonna cost some big bucks!

didnt know about the peppers being from St.Augustine ill try it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

This lovely earth is giving me a ton of time to make tons of chili to store up

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

dried garbanzos, half as much dried black beans,
wash em good, toss em in a instapot fill with water about 2 centimeters above the bean line
add a tablespoon of olive oil, add one of those vegetable stock cubes
pressure cook on high for about an hour
while thats going get some diced yellow onion and jalapeno slices and fry em up good in a pan
when the pots done toss in the onion and jalapenos,
add 6-8 oz of whatever salsa you like,
if you like it thick add some textured vegetable protein, if your blessed with a Trader Joes add 1 of their Soy Chorizo to it
Add spices now, cayenne to taste same with adobo
Stir well pressure cook for like 5 minutes on high

Eat it hot, or be super cool a day later it taste pretty great cold outta the fridge

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Dave's scorpion pepper sauce is delicious and hot gonna figure out how much for my next batch

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I made some bomb rear end vegan chili with ghost pepper flakes, pressure cooked dehydrated beans w cashew bits and soy chorizo, then added spices, slow cooked it with simple salsa poured over it and chopped peppers. It's drat tasty

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Pressure cook dry beans in an hour

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Florida sucks so where can I get actually good like pepper flakes and ground pepper online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

What's "chili powder"?
I like at least ancho and some ghost in mine lately