Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I just won the Chili Cookoff at work thanks to this thread and a slightly modified Green Arrow chili recipe. So, thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr. Poz posted:

I just won the Chili Cookoff at work thanks to this thread and a slightly modified Green Arrow chili recipe. So, thanks everyone!

What cut of meat did you use? Chuck, Ground, or Paul Posluszny's massive neck?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm a vegetarian monster that refuses using beer. Help me with makin veg chili.

I'm enjoying which is pretty much slow cooking those dull chili starter bottles with 1 can o chickpeas with 2 black beans and sometimes red kidney beans. I toss in soy chorizo and 8oz of hatch valley salsa. Then I ether toss in whatever mushrooms catch my eye Bella or button, and sometimes cubed drained tofu that I baked a bit beforehand.
Tempeh grated into a fine dust works as filler and once in a blue moon I throw in some diced carrots. I slow cook the whole batch over 12 to 24 hours on low and stir and add some water as needed.
I enjoy what comes out as a bitter decent heat chili but I'm just getting bored with it after a few years of it.

Anyone have a kickass vegetarian chilli without beer that I can slowcook?

why not ditch the lovely fake meat stuff and just go all in on beans and veg? I'd also cut the carrots too imo. Carrots are great but not meant for chili. If you want natural sweet, just up the amount of onions. You could also use some soda in place of beer as well.

Shrooms are great in chili, and you can mince them up a lot to mimic ground beef/slow cooked beef that falls apart. I've done veg chili for hippie siblings and that's generally what I stick with.

Also, I would think 12 hours, much less 24, is way excessive when you're not cooking any meats to break down.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Just won 3rd place in a chili competition and someone said I should post it here so here ya go.

Dutch oven chili:

3.5 pounds of filet mignon cut into 3/4 inch cubes
2 yellow onions diced fine
4 jalapeno peppers sliced and seeded
1 cup dry black beans, soaked 24 hours
2 16oz cans diced tomatoes
4tbs chili powder
2tbs dried oregano
1.5tbs cumin
3 cloves of fresh minced garlic
1tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs salt
1 tbs brown sugar

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Saute onion and garlic in oil until lightly browned and soft, add to dutch oven. Drain water from beans. Add all remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cover dutch oven with lid and bake for 4.5 hours, stirring every 60 minutes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That is not a great recipe... Filet mignon is just about the worst meat to use, it's too lean and subtle in flavour. Your ratio of meat to chillies is too high, 4 deserved jalapeņos four almost for pounds of meat is not very much.

To improve it, you want to use a different cut, like chuck, shin, oxtail, something like that. Also, use more and different chillies: I like a combination of serrano, jalapeņo, scotch bonnet, anaheim and poblano. Obviously, it looks like you're not going for heat, so you want some good flavourful chillies in there.

This comes with a disclaimer that I've never so much as entered a chilli competition, but just my thoughts...

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Scientastic posted:

That is not a great recipe... Filet mignon is just about the worst meat to use, it's too lean and subtle in flavour. Your ratio of meat to chillies is too high, 4 deserved jalapeņos four almost for pounds of meat is not very much.

To improve it, you want to use a different cut, like chuck, shin, oxtail, something like that. Also, use more and different chillies: I like a combination of serrano, jalapeņo, scotch bonnet, anaheim and poblano. Obviously, it looks like you're not going for heat, so you want some good flavourful chillies in there.

This comes with a disclaimer that I've never so much as entered a chilli competition, but just my thoughts...

Considering I got 3rd, I think its a perfectly fine recipe. Thanks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol you're making some really expensive chilli with the wrong meat for it but whatever

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

iForge posted:

That's fine, I don't mind. I often make the mistake of thinking everyone else wants constructive criticism so that they can strive towards self improvement, but I forget that some people are happy with mediocrity.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
This thread got really hostile all of a sudden.

Kind of...spicy, if you will.

Ok I'll leave now

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jose posted:

lol you're making some really expensive chilli with the wrong meat for it but whatever

Pretty much. I mean kudos on placing that high, but if you post a recipe in the chili thread then expect folks to talk about it. And when you use a high quality cut in a manner that largely ignores why that cut is so expensive then people will say so.

I've never won any awards, but I have been making chili for years and have what I feel is a drat good recipe. That doesn't stop me from listening to suggestions every time I post the latest incarnation.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They say second place finishers are more distraught then third. I've only gotten first with oxtail and rib so idk, but I imagine neither second or first used fu king filet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mr. Wookums posted:

They say second place finishers are more distraught then third. I've only gotten first with oxtail and rib so idk, but I imagine neither second or first used fu king filet.

What's your recipe? I've been meaning to try out oxtail to go with short rib.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Scientastic posted:

That's fine, I don't mind. I often make the mistake of thinking everyone else wants constructive criticism so that they can strive towards self improvement, but I forget that some people are happy with mediocrity.

Every time someone starts a post with "This is my award winning chili" you get this thread. It's completely predictable.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

THE MACHO MAN posted:

why not ditch the lovely fake meat stuff and just go all in on beans and veg? I'd also cut the carrots too imo. Carrots are great but not meant for chili. If you want natural sweet, just up the amount of onions. You could also use some soda in place of beer as well.

Shrooms are great in chili, and you can mince them up a lot to mimic ground beef/slow cooked beef that falls apart. I've done veg chili for hippie siblings and that's generally what I stick with.

Also, I would think 12 hours, much less 24, is way excessive when you're not cooking any meats to break down.

Portabella fell apart bad when slow cooked but the button mushrooms did not. The tempeh ground up just thickens it up a bit while being healthy, its a filler.
What shrooms ya recommend?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking of oxtails, I made oxtail stew for the first time and it was amazingly rich and beefy.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Junkie Disease posted:

Portabella fell apart bad when slow cooked but the button mushrooms did not. The tempeh ground up just thickens it up a bit while being healthy, its a filler.

Tempeh is Satan's arse scrapings in my opinion, but then again, I like marmite, so it could be a matter of opinion. It certainly isn't bland, and if you can tolerate the taste (weirdo) then the texture is good.

Mushrooms are probably the best non-fake-meat, but most will 'fall apart bad' if you cook 'em for more than an hour or so. You don't need to slow cook at all if you're making veggy chilli (or veggy anything). There's no tough connecting tissue to break down like there is in meat.

The trick with mushrooms for a nice chewy mouthful of concentrated flavour, is to get rid of all the water. Which just means ~20 minutes of gentle frying separately in butter (if not vegan) and then throw into main dish.

Portobello/field mushrooms (anything big & wide) are really good re. flavour and texture when cooked down.

To top it off, add a handful of dried porcini mushrooms - cooked in the chili liquid for 1/2 hour 'til soft will add something that's as close to 'meaty' as you'll get without killing.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Using filet in chili is like those crazy restaurateurs who use expensive cuts inappropriately for the sake of feeling justified in charging more.

Chili is not high-class, fancy-fair. It is to be made with the most gruesome cuts and scraps one can acquire, mixed with the harshest of spices, and cooked in a filthy iron pot for as long as it takes to make that boot leather palatable, then served over the cheapest starch you have.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Crazyeyes posted:

Using filet in chili is like those crazy restaurateurs who use expensive cuts inappropriately for the sake of feeling justified in charging more.

Chili is not high-class, fancy-fair. It is to be made with the most gruesome cuts and scraps one can acquire, mixed with the harshest of spices, and cooked in a filthy iron pot for as long as it takes to make that boot leather palatable, then served over the cheapest starch you have.

No-one sane will do anything but laugh (or cry) at slow-cooked fillet steak, but cheap cuts don't have to come from nasty cows and lovely farms - a 'fancy' cow still has ribs and shoulders and whatnot that shouldn't be wasted.

That said, if this was a lovely forum, I'd +1 you you for getting "restaurateur" right. So few do.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Top blade steaks are pretty cheap, but cook up nicely in stews and such.

Some disassembly required.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Junkie Disease posted:

xiansi said pretty much what I was going to say - try that!

if you're worried about thickness, you could either mash up some beans against the side (or blend and put back in) like how you might do for red beans and rice, or use a little tomato paste when sauteeing your veggies. Both are pretty sure fire ways to up the thickeness. Also, masa or mashed up tortilla chips too. Each add their own flavors, obviously.

but yeah, as stated, I really see no reason for that to cook more than about 1-2 hours. Nothing to break down!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xiansi posted:

Tempeh is Satan's arse scrapings in my opinion, but then again, I like marmite, so it could be a matter of opinion. It certainly isn't bland, and if you can tolerate the taste (weirdo) then the texture is good.

Mushrooms are probably the best non-fake-meat, but most will 'fall apart bad' if you cook 'em for more than an hour or so. You don't need to slow cook at all if you're making veggy chilli (or veggy anything). There's no tough connecting tissue to break down like there is in meat.

The trick with mushrooms for a nice chewy mouthful of concentrated flavour, is to get rid of all the water. Which just means ~20 minutes of gentle frying separately in butter (if not vegan) and then throw into main dish.

Portobello/field mushrooms (anything big & wide) are really good re. flavour and texture when cooked down.

To top it off, add a handful of dried porcini mushrooms - cooked in the chili liquid for 1/2 hour 'til soft will add something that's as close to 'meaty' as you'll get without killing.

I would try something like this to roast them, putting the liquid directly in the chili stock, and then combining the mushrooms with the chili before serving.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's your recipe? I've been meaning to try out oxtail to go with short rib.
IMO it's a pantry dish, so use what you have on hand and purchase what's only necessary, to you. I'd also use canned whole tomatoes over fresh. Garlic, onion, tomato, fresh peppers, beans of whatever sort, a beer or two, hot sauce, stock, rehydrated then blended dried pepper, something from worcester/fishsauce/anchovie/anchoviepaste. Braise/preasurecook the short ribs, preferably smoking some of them to get that flavor first. Be sure they're seasoned well enough that it's something you'd eat by themselves, don't forget some veggies. Sear others or all sans smoke. Separate fat from liquid and put liquid in with everything else, break up meat and put in. Season to taste. With good homemade stock you don't really need anything else.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

What cut of meat did you use? Chuck, Ground, or Paul Posluszny's massive neck?

Just some ground sirloin. The secret is don't drain any of the fat...

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Improvised some chili with ingredients from the local ethnic farmers market.

Used some really thin cut "New York steaks" (God knows what cut, but they were very thin and lean), ground pork and chorizo (2:1:1 ratio in terms of weight.

Started out making the base by charring whole peeled tomatoes. Basically just drain a can of peeled tomatoes, pat them dry, get some oil real hot, and sear the peeled tomatoes until you get some char on the outside. Once they had a nice crust, added in about a can and a half of diced chipotles in adobo (my chili flavoring of choice), along with some caramelized onion and garlic, and let that all simmer in a little bit of PBR and tomato paste added in to thicken it up. Liberally salt as you do all this, and add cumin and Worcestershire to taste.

Separately, I put the steaks in a hot pan with butter, just like 30-60 seconds a side until you started getting a good crust on the outside of the steaks (they were like 1/8" thin and very cheap). Brown the ground pork and give the chorizo a quick cook. I chopped up the steaks into small pieces, and drained all the fat from the pork and chorizo (don't like greasy chili). Be sure to deglaze the pan with some beer after you cook up all the meat, you'll miss some real good flavor otherwise.

Once everything was nice and friendly in the sauce pot, I hit it with the immersion blender. I've tried this a couple of times, and I'm a big fan. It gets everything nice and mixed really well, and the flavor becomes nice and consistent. It also adds a little bit of air to the mixture, which lightens up a heavy dish like chili. If there isn't quite enough liquid, more beer or some beef broth can get things liquidier. Once the sauce is nice and to your flavor, add the meat in, and beans if you like (I used black beans, but I also like dark kidneys).

At this point I brought it all to a boil, at which point you will want to cover with a splatter guard (or a lid tilted slightly)) because that poo poo bubbles and will splatter everywhere. Once it came to a boil, I tossed the whole pot in the oven around 300F, using tin foil with slits to cover but let water evaporate off. Give it like an hour and check it out. If it's looking around your desired thickness, go ahead and crank that poo poo up to like 400-450F to get the final bit of excess liquid out and maybe get a little crust on the top and generally tenderize things.

At this point you should have some pretty good chili. Maybe add some masa harina if it's still not thick enough for your taste, but that wasn't necessary for me.

I topped with some pickled jalapeņo (I know, but I had it on hand), a couple of local hot sauces (the green a spicy habanero, the orange a milder chipotle), some Mexican shake cheese (grated cojita) and the best part: chicharrones (pork rinds). They're a nice crunchy alternative to something like Fritos or tortilla chips, and moderately healthier.

For freezing the leftovers, I put them in individual potions, freeze, and reheat covered over high heat in the smallest pot that will hold the frozen brick with beer/broth to boil around the frozen block of chili. When almost time to serve I add some masa harina if it's looking too thin, and also whatever other seasoning I want to mess with.

Nothing too crazy, but just wanted to share the best chili I'd made in a while thanks to the inspiration I get following the thread. Also just wanted to share a nice cheap recipe, made about 8 portions for probably under $20. Remember, use what you have on hand, chili isn't about following set recipes, it's made to be improvised.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
For all the filet mignon haters, didn't you read? They won a COMPETITION! Therefore it's not a bad recipe.

Case in point this woman keeps winning chili competitions: https://www.reddit.com/r/food/comments/2k30b0/i_cant_stop_winning_chili_cookoffs/

quote:

2 lbs ground beef
1 large white onion
4 cans Italian tomato pieces
2 cans Rotel mild green chilis with Lime/Cilantro
1 can corn
1-1.5 package(s) Hidden Valley Ranch powder
1-1.5 package(s) mild taco seasoning
2 packages of Spanish Rice (Knorr)
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans kidney beans
Sea Salt to taste
1 pkg Mexican Cheese Sour Cream

You might question the ground beef, corn, ranch dressing powder, taco seasoning and packaged rice but it's competition winning.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Improvised some chili with ingredients from the local ethnic farmers market.

Used some really thin cut "New York steaks" (God knows what cut, but they were very thin and lean), ground pork and chorizo (2:1:1 ratio in terms of weight.

Started out making the base by charring whole peeled tomatoes. Basically just drain a can of peeled tomatoes, pat them dry, get some oil real hot, and sear the peeled tomatoes until you get some char on the outside. Once they had a nice crust, added in about a can and a half of diced chipotles in adobo (my chili flavoring of choice), along with some caramelized onion and garlic, and let that all simmer in a little bit of PBR and tomato paste added in to thicken it up. Liberally salt as you do all this, and add cumin and Worcestershire to taste.

Separately, I put the steaks in a hot pan with butter, just like 30-60 seconds a side until you started getting a good crust on the outside of the steaks (they were like 1/8" thin and very cheap). Brown the ground pork and give the chorizo a quick cook. I chopped up the steaks into small pieces, and drained all the fat from the pork and chorizo (don't like greasy chili). Be sure to deglaze the pan with some beer after you cook up all the meat, you'll miss some real good flavor otherwise.

Once everything was nice and friendly in the sauce pot, I hit it with the immersion blender. I've tried this a couple of times, and I'm a big fan. It gets everything nice and mixed really well, and the flavor becomes nice and consistent. It also adds a little bit of air to the mixture, which lightens up a heavy dish like chili. If there isn't quite enough liquid, more beer or some beef broth can get things liquidier. Once the sauce is nice and to your flavor, add the meat in, and beans if you like (I used black beans, but I also like dark kidneys).

At this point I brought it all to a boil, at which point you will want to cover with a splatter guard (or a lid tilted slightly)) because that poo poo bubbles and will splatter everywhere. Once it came to a boil, I tossed the whole pot in the oven around 300F, using tin foil with slits to cover but let water evaporate off. Give it like an hour and check it out. If it's looking around your desired thickness, go ahead and crank that poo poo up to like 400-450F to get the final bit of excess liquid out and maybe get a little crust on the top and generally tenderize things.

At this point you should have some pretty good chili. Maybe add some masa harina if it's still not thick enough for your taste, but that wasn't necessary for me.

I topped with some pickled jalapeņo (I know, but I had it on hand), a couple of local hot sauces (the green a spicy habanero, the orange a milder chipotle), some Mexican shake cheese (grated cojita) and the best part: chicharrones (pork rinds). They're a nice crunchy alternative to something like Fritos or tortilla chips, and moderately healthier.

For freezing the leftovers, I put them in individual potions, freeze, and reheat covered over high heat in the smallest pot that will hold the frozen brick with beer/broth to boil around the frozen block of chili. When almost time to serve I add some masa harina if it's looking too thin, and also whatever other seasoning I want to mess with.

Nothing too crazy, but just wanted to share the best chili I'd made in a while thanks to the inspiration I get following the thread. Also just wanted to share a nice cheap recipe, made about 8 portions for probably under $20. Remember, use what you have on hand, chili isn't about following set recipes, it's made to be improvised.

That sounds really nice. I hadn't considered charring the tomatoes.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

iForge posted:

Did you have to enter chili or could you enter anything you wanted?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I think the problem is that these competitions are office chilli cook-offs where anything that tastes not unlike canned hot-dog topping is considered superior. You could probably win with a can of Stagg, and a shot of MSG, Evan Williams whiskey, and liquid smoke in the mix.

Second or third place will always go to the too-spicy one with the stupid name because all the guys who think they're hardcore vote for it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Third place often goes to the guy who brags about using filet mignon, even though it's quite clearly the wrong meat, because enough people are stupid enough to think it's better

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

I think the problem is that these competitions are office chilli cook-offs where anything that tastes not unlike canned hot-dog topping is considered superior. You could probably win with a can of Stagg, and a shot of MSG, Evan Williams whiskey, and liquid smoke in the mix.

Second or third place will always go to the too-spicy one with the stupid name because all the guys who think they're hardcore vote for it.

Please don't delegitimize my win. I was up against a jerk chicken chili.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scientastic posted:

Third place often goes to the guy who brags about using filet mignon, even though it's quite clearly the wrong meat, because enough people are stupid enough to think it's better

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

hahahaha.

junkie, did you try with mushrooms?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Couldn't decide if I wanted a stew, roast or a chilli.

So I did all three. Slow cooked oxtail in a bit of red wine, onions garlic and water for 5 hours.

Then roasted a bunch of types of tomatoes with garlic, onions and fresh rosemary for an hour and a bit.

Mixed the oxtail meat with the tomatoes and garlic, squeezed out the roasted garlic from its cloves. Added some home made chilli powder, herbs and the like and simmered it for a bit.

Came out really good. A really meaty chilli with a sweet mellow garlic undertone.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 13, 2016

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

THE MACHO MAN posted:

hahahaha.

junkie, did you try with mushrooms?

Tasty yes.
Dad sent me a bottle of "poo poo the Bed" hot sauce and put half the bottle in there. Good flavor heat as well.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 14, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Making venison chili this weekend. Any comments about what should be done differently than when using beef?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Crazyeyes posted:

Making venison chili this weekend. Any comments about what should be done differently than when using beef?

I really enjoy the flavor of venison quite a bit so id probably lighten up on my non-meat flavorings a bit to really pull the venison flavor through.

I think standard chili seasoning is pretty complimentary though.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

LorrdErnie posted:

I really enjoy the flavor of venison quite a bit so id probably lighten up on my non-meat flavorings a bit to really pull the venison flavor through.

I think standard chili seasoning is pretty complimentary though.

This was my general thought as well. Afraid of overpowering the more subtle flavors of the meat.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

I feel like using the fruitier peppers for making your powder/paste will do a lot to bring it out as well. Ive made venison chili several times in the past but unfortunately am not able to remember what I decided to do differently. I think I added bourbon to one of them and that came out well.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Any recommendations for fruity-er peppers? I usually go arbol-guajillo-chipotle blends for my beef-based chilis. Scotch Bonnets are great but too... Caribbean? Their flavor may quickly overwhelm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

For fruitier peppers I'd try ancho, Anaheim, and especially negro chilis.

All of those are limited heat very fruity peppers I like adding to my powder.