Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Factory Factory posted:

Repeat after the thread title: gently caress OCZ.

I'm currently running on an OCZ Agility 60gig. It's the second one I've had, since I had to RMA the first one after 18 months because it just started randomly corrupting files on it. There was about a week's worth of troubleshooting involving reinstalling windows 3 times to make sure it wasn't something with my install, then doing their total erase and installing again and waiting until it started corrupting files. Then I imaged the least corrupt system onto an old 80gig ata/66 disk which kept me running until the replacement got here.

No more OCZ for me, that was enough of a headache. I'm hoping the Crucial M4 I recently installed on another system will be a lot more stable over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I posted previously that my OCZ Agility had died at some point (after about 18 months of use) and been RMA'd. I've had the replacement drive for about 11 months and now it is corrupting the filesystem, too. I'm still in warranty from my original purchase, but if you had told me that I'd need to RMA the same drive twice in that three year period, I'd have purchased an Intel.

Now that there's more manufacturers with reliable drives, I'm debating buying a M4 and relegating the OCZ poo poo they replace to a less important PC than the main one I do everything on, because having it up and die every year or so sure is frustrating.

Oh, and because they've got the OCZ technology forum, of course they'll probably recommend to run their destructive flash and reinstall the drive and use it until it fails again to make sure it's actually going bad, so there's going to be a week of frustrating PC hardware swapping and windows reinstalling before I actually get an RMA, most likely.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 3, 2012

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Binary Badger posted:

Crossposted from the SSD deals thread in Coupons and Deals:

Crucial M4 128 GB only $104.99 shipped with code EMCYTZT1866

Price expires 11:59PM PT on Saturday, 7/7/2012..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

Edit: bonus hilarious review, poster needs to get out more or have the wife put out more, neither seems likely

Amazon seems to have matched that price as well. I ordered one to replace my failed OCZ brick.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Magic Underwear posted:

I know this topic has probably been played out in this thread, but I wanted to convey my disappointment with Crucial. I got a 128gb m4 last year and recently dealt with constant bluescreens of unknown origin, happening regularly regardless of load. Eventually I suspected it was the SSD, seeing as the bluescreens always froze before writing the minidump, suggesting the system couldn't see the drive anymore.

After trying different ports and cables I finally searched for "m4 + stop 0xf4", which lead me to the crucial forums where I learned that it was a known issue. I upgraded the firmware and everything is fine now. What a strange bug though. It just gets to ~5000 hours of on time (5500 for me) and suddenly crashes every hour on the hour? Here I thought I was paying a premium (compared to OCZ) for a more reliable drive. On the plus side, there was no data loss, and it's now fast as ever, but still, what a headache.

Maybe you can chalk it up to SSDs being relatively new technology. You don't see HDD firmware bugs like this, but then again HDDs have a few decades of maturity at this point.

There's all kinds of crazy HD bugs, it's not a specific issue with SSDs. I have four Seagate 640 gig drives in RAID 5. I put the system together at the end of 2008. For the first couple of years if they had a lot of data being written, the array would often panic and lose one of the drives, meaning I'd need to reboot and rebuild the volume. I tried new cables, the newest chipset drivers, and nothing worked. I was convinced it was the motherboard. One time while the raid volume was rebuilding, one of the other drives dropped out. Oops, data loss. Then after testing the drives one by one with Seatools, I found that this was an ongoing problem with those Seagate drives, and it was finally fixed with new firmware. It wasn't fixed immediately after Seagate found it, it was fixed in 2010. It was some crazy intermittent timeout issue with those and a lot of other Seagate drives. Now that the firmware's been released and updated the drives work great and I've had no further problems.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

toplitzin posted:

Here I am again, with another woot deal, this time it's a Crucial refurb, thoughts?

http://tech.woot.com/offers/force-120gb-ssd-1

The drive isn't too bad, but the warranty is 30 days. It's just my personal opinion, but with the trouble I've had with HDs and SSDs, I prefer to have 3 years or more on a warranty. With the recent Samsung 830 and Crucial M4 128 gb drives going for ~$90 on sale new, I think they're a better deal. Since Woot! charges $5 shipping and you can usually get the M4 or 830 from amazon or newegg with free shipping, it's about $15 more for a new drive (and 8 gigs of extra space as well).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tunga posted:

If I'm building a mITX machine (just office/media use) with a 128GB Samsung 830, should I care about H61 not having SATA III / 6Gbps? Moving to H67/H77 would double the motherboard price but I'd rather not bottleneck the drive.

For office/media use it's probably not worth the extra money for 6Gbps.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

atomicthumbs posted:

I bought an OCZ Agility 3 60gb a bit more than a year ago. I'm using it as a system drive. Is my data at risk?

Very yes. You should have automatic backups (everyone should by now) and since you're on an OCZ drive don't keep your data on the system disk to begin with.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vermouth posted:

OCZ Vertex2 owner experiencing failure as we speak. The computer no longer reports the details of the drive in BIOS, just "Sandforce", the computer does something then next screen shows up with "Please install an operating system, press any key to continue."

I swapped the cables to make sure it wasn't a weird mobo thing on that connector. Exact same result. As I have no time to continue loving with it, I just ordered the Intel 330 240gb from ncix for $154, free shipping, no tax. seemed like a good deal, perhaps slightly lower over the past couple weeks, but I'll take it.

Should have read this thread before jumping on board. I got to the inital ocz deal at the last minute, and they ended up screwing me out of the rebate anyway (great). I won't be buying another OCZ product again.

You're not alone, after my second Agility drive ate itself (the first was unrecoverable and had to be RMAd), I'm done with OCZ. I'm amazed anyone still buys their products or sticks up for them, although I still see folks on every ocz sale on slickdeals talk about how new firmware has magically fixed them using bad parts somehow. I hope they're being paid and not just forcefully ignorant.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Call Now posted:

I was supposed to buy a Samsung 830, but then someone gave me an OCZ Agility 3 for free. Is it okay to use or should I just sell it to someone else?

I was going to buy a gold coin but someone gave me a cow pie for free.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

willie_dee posted:

I got given a Samsung 840 120gig, is it going to be any good or is it a waste of time compared to the pro version? I'm upgrading from a regular hard drive.

Any SSD is a massive upgrade from a hard disk. Most of the warnings against the 840 have to do with it using less durable memory than other brands, so it may not last as long. With the modern controllers, how long is usually still very long, and that particular model hasn't existed long enough for anyone to be exactly sure. The Pro version is shaping up to be a really fantastic SSD which is why it's recommended. As for the regular 840, despite not being as good, it's not an OCZ drive.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Harik posted:

If windows file copy gets stuck forever, is that a indicator of a faulty SSD? In linux any kind of stall like that would be clearly identified as to what the hell, but in windows it's just hung forever.

Crucial M4 256gb, 000f firmware, hooked to the 6gb intel port on a P67 motherboard.

Windows 7, freshly installed.

Re-doing the copy has always worked, but the copy window sticks forever.

I'd rather know if I need to RMA this now or if I should look into driver issues - it's a fresh install as of yesterday so I may have missed some intel chipset driver or installed a wrong version or something.

Edit: CrystalDiskInfo tells me no errors, 15 hours powered on. That's about right, I installed it yesterday.

It could be a lot of things, windows file copies aren't very verbose about what's going on. I'd dobule check that you have the right sata (AHCI) or raid controller drivers installed and run a chkdsk to see if anything's wrong with the filesystem. SSD or not sometimes there's just weird errors.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

beyonder posted:

I have had this 256GB M4 for about eight months.

Fresh:

Current:

Is this normal for M4 drive after eight months on Sata3GB/s? 4k-64th is worrying, its not noticeable in real life but still.

I'm not sure if it's normal, but here's my 128GB M4 after 7 months on SATA II, which has some similar ratings:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

beyonder posted:

Am I worrying about nothing or is the drive having issues?

As long as the drive feels fast I wouldn't be too worried. As long as my SSD isn't corrupting my filesystem like my OCZ one used to and launches programs nearly instantly, I'm pretty happy with it. Benchmarks are great for comparing models to each other but don't have a lot of bearing on actual use.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Migishu posted:

Windows disk manager didn't let me do anything, and I don't have a CD drive, which is why I wanted to avoid using boot disks.

I haven't tried it myself but this blog suggests using bcdboot to set a drive as your boot disk:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/SwitchingMyWindows7BootDiskFromDToCWithBCDBootRatherThanBCDEdit.aspx

I guess the command line would be bcdboot c:\windows /s c: from an administrator command prompt. I'm just assuming that that would create the boot sector, back in my day we did fdisk /mbr but that doesn't work anymore!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dreadbot posted:

I bought an OCZ Vertex 3 480GB from Amazon a couple months ago because they had a flash sale and that's the first I've seen a larger-sized SSD for a price I could swallow. Since I was in a sort of SA dark ages I didn't think to check on here, although I did read about the hullabaloo involving the early firmware for the Sandforce controller. A friend of mine has had a Vertex 4 for a year now with no problems other than having to reinstall Windows to update the firmware shortly after he got it. What should I be worried about with my drive being an OCZ? (I have both local and remote backup, so I'm not too concerned about data loss.)

Don't put anything on it you want to keep (back everything up). I've been using Cobian Backup as a nice freeware utility that can just copy stuff from place A to place B at whatever schedule I want, but you can use whatever you want. I use it to mirror my documents to my NAS every hour or so (since there's not often new stuff it doesn't really bog anything down) and then I sync music and games and stuff every week or so. I have it setup on another system to copy the entire SSD contents from an install onto a mechanical HD once a week (plus incremental docs backups to the NAS also).

Backups backups backups!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

scanlonman posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction for a office desktop SSD? I'm looking to spend around $150, less is ideal.

For an office you'd probably want something very reliable. I'd look into the Intel SSDs (and don't forget to back everything up just in case).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Martytoof posted:

I hate to be general when asking, but is there a trend as to what symptoms SSDs exhibit when they go bad? Is it more of a "wham, it was there and now it's not", or more of a slow burn like magnetic disks?

I realize that's a trick question because spinning disks can cease to function completely as well, but for the most part my experience has been that they develop bad sectors until they're unusable. I guess I'd like to know what your experiences are regarding SSD failure. Did the computer just not boot one day, or was it a steady stream of errors until you realized the disk was going bad?

I think I articulated this poorly, so hopefully you guys will know what I'm getting at. I realize not all cases are the same.

I'm not sure that they're all the same, but here's my anecdotal story. When my OCZ drive died it began with some programs failing to launch with errors. There then seemed to be corrupt windows files that were unable to be fixed with sfc /scannow or anything like it. A couple of days later (luckily after I imaged the fucker) it wouldn't boot because presumably more of the filesystem had gotten corrupt.

The OCZ support forum staff had me do a destructive flash to the latest version (add a jumper, reboot, run the flasher, remove jumper, have a clean updated drive). I reinstalled on it and it worked for a couple of days until things went corrupt more quickly this time; pretty much like the first paragraph but in a matter of hours instead of days. After this I was told to RMA the drive. The replacement drive did the same thing as the first paragraph again about eight months later. The destructive flash seemed to actually get the drive working again at this point so I didn't RMA the second one, but I wasn't about to use it for anything critical and bought a new SSD.

As an aside, since the drive seems to work now but could just randomly corrupt stuff at any time without warning, my plan is to use that old OCZ drive on a non critical system that I want to boot quickly to run my old SCSI scanner from the 90s or something. All data will go to the NAS.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NerdPolice posted:

I've had a Quantum drive running since the late 90's in a machine that won't accept new drives and cannot be replaced due to legacy software we are too poor to replace. I am terrified of what the future brings knowing Maxtor bought Quantum :ohdear:.

Quantum drives were okay, I still have a Fireball that works. It's probably time to make a plan for when that PC dies, however.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, I was just about to suggest CF + IDE.

I still (rarely) use a 1990s system at home, and we have a lot of 1990s systems at work. You cannot find a <8GB HDD for them any more, but CF cards still apparently come in 256/512/1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB configurations that work perfectly.

I know Newegg has CF to IDE adapters, and even better is the Micro Center down the street from me. There's even cool stuff like THIS that makes it really easy to get to the CF card. We can't run backup software on one system, but now we can shut it down and pull the CF card to image it.

If he doesn't mind the wait those adapters are also much much cheaper from China or HK on ebay. I ended up getting two of each kind (two plug into motherboard/female, two PCI slot that plug into ribbon cable and two plug into ribbon cable and leave loose in the case or affix) for running m0n0wall or freenas on old systems that don't have boot from USB. I think I paid less than $3 per adapter and they work perfectly since CF has a native IDE mode (so the devices pretty much just give the cards power with a floppy connector and map the CF pinout to the IDE). As always, your experience ordering cheap Chinese stuff from ebay may vary from mine, and shipping times suck, but I ended up with a small bag of those guys and I use two constantly. They have jumpers for voltage (3.3v or 5v) and master/slave for the kind that plug into the IDE chain on the motherboard (since they can hold two CF cards and the bus addresses one as master and one as slave).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Peven Stan posted:

Hmm the bluescreen problem is back with my Samsung 840. I'm not sure at this point whether or not to its the sketchy AMD AHCI driver (from 2007) or some other reason. Before it would blue screen on login. Now I can login and as long as I'm using the computer it runs fine, but when I stop using it for a while and let it idle it goes to a BSOD. Memtest86 returned nothing funny about the RAM, so I think it's down to the SSD not playing well with ancient AMD drivers or my motherboard finally giving up the ghost.

Maybe your motherboard is powering down the SSD when it's idle and loving it up. New systems don't seem to do this, but it was always a recommended thing to do for SSDs back a few years. I have an older AMD system too and I've always kept this setting to make sure that doesn't happen:

It's in power options, change setting (for whatever power mode you're running in) and then hit Advanced Settings. The collapsed tree for drive settings will let you change your HD to power down never (it may switch to never if you put in 0 minutes, I forget the exact setting). Taking the screenshot I just noticed the battery power option for my UPS so I'm going to change that one to Never, too, since it'll power off the system anyway.

It's also possible that that is ancient ritualistic SSD gobbeldygook and won't help, but I'd give it a shot if your system is bluescreening while you leave it idle.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sri.Theo posted:

Please tell me if I'm crazy. My SSD doesn't fit because of these two small pieces of plastic

And as you can see the actual distance it doesn't fit over the screw holes is tiny

http://i.imgur.com/r647GbZh.jpg

Am I mad to just file down the under side of those little plastic nubs so the new SSD slips underneath them like the old one?

As long as the connectors line up I'd totally snap those guys off or file them down, but I'm pretty reckless with my hardware. Is it still under warranty? If so I'd be really careful with doing anything that might void it. If not, make it fit!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

darkhand posted:

I had an ocz vertex 2. Had it to about 100 out of 120. Trim has been enabled since I got it. Ordered a new drive already since it's still acting funky.

When my old OCZ agility started failing it began just by corrupting some files. Then most of the files, then it wouldn't boot but I was able to get a lot of stuff off of it before the whole destructive flash/RMA rigamarole. The first one lasted 18 months, the second one didn't last that long but I couldn't RMA it since it was just past warranty on the original drive. Your SSD shouldn't just stop your PC from booting because it's getting full, being full usually just causes write amplification and reduces lifespan. Flaky behavior like you're experiencing is probably something wrong with it. While it's common knowledge now but wasn't when I got mine originally, let me just restate to never buy OCZ.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Since I'll be putting 7 to 8 to 8.1 on my SSD, is there anything I should do special for the SSD?

My current plan is to install one of my HDDs to put 7 on so I can update the BIOS, then remove that drive, install 7 on the SSD, install the drivers needed, then update from 7 to 8 then 8 to 8.1.

Is there anything I should do in 8.1 to make sure my SSD runs fine and isn't constantly caching or indexing or something?

Why do you need to install an operating system to update the bios? There are usually bootable utilities available to do so on the manufacturer's website. Also you shouldn't need to do anything to your OS as long as you're using a modern SSD in AHCI mode and make sure TRIM is enabled.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I was going to update the BIOS on my mobo (Gigabyte EX38-DS4) from f3 to f6d mod (the non-mod version is a beta from Gigabyte from back in 2009), but apparently the mod broke someone's board so I'm weary to change to it.

If the board I have now is currently working, would updating the BIOS from f3 to f5 really help with an SSD? From what I hear, there IS a bug where it can take upwards of 10 minutes to boot if using AHCI so I'm not sure.

In fact, I've never used an SSD with this mobo before and Gigabyte has stopped answering e-mails pertaining to this board, apparently.

I'd say try it with the current BIOS. If you get 10 minute hang ups while trying to boot with AHCI mode then flash the bios to whatever you think the safest version will be (I guess f5 based on your post but I don't know anything about the board aside from what you've relayed to us). Otherwise don't worry about flashing the bios, usually you save doing that for when you're actually having an issue that a bios update might solve.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I still like to use SteamMover for making junctions, but I only use it for steam games and in the opposite direction as to what you're suggesting. I know Steam added the ability to keep installs in two places now but I mostly keep everything on my data drive and if it's going to be an MMO or FPS where I want faster disk access I use SteamMover to move the game over to the SSD. When I'm done/bored I move it back. Since SteamMover just runs console commands to make junctions and copy data it's very basic.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Factory Factory posted:

Crucial Tech Support update: Once I sent in my faulty C300, they had very fast turnaround shipping me an M4. The drive I got is refurbished, showing 100% write endurance left (which means either they reset SMART or it was a DOA return). Newest firmware

Also, I cannot tell you how stupid I was to run a backup system image reading from one hard drive and writing to another partition on the same drive. It is SO SLOW and the operation is pre-empting my userland writes to such an extent that Windows 8 is saying my average service response time is 11 seconds. Thank God web browsers live in RAM.

E: Booting from an SSD again. Oh my yes. :circlefap:

I know that they're no longer considered good drives due to the hosed up firmware updates from Crucial, but I have two M4s that have been running well for about a year and a half, so hopefully you got a good replacement.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chuu posted:

Newegg has the 240G 840 Evo and Intel 530 at the exact same price ($160) as a Black Friday special. I'm upgrading from a mechanical 2.5" disk in an older laptop (core2 based centrino platform). The laptop only supports SATA I or SATA II, not sure which. Power consumption is a pretty important factor; it's right on the edge with what I'm comfortable with without carrying a brick around.

Which do I buy?

If you're running Windows 7 or 8 then you'll have TRIM support and either is a good choice. The EVO is faster and the Intel is in theory more reliable (but not so much as to make a much difference). If you're running Vista or XP then the Intel will be better for running without TRIM support. SSDs use less power than spinning hard disks.

With the price being the same and all SSDs being "fast" compared to a mechanical disk, I'd buy the Intel since you've got an older system and you can carry it to a new system if you upgrade in the next couple of years.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Craptacular! posted:

Weird question: Will I see much difference to just using the SSD as a place to move games to and launch them, without moving my whole OS to the drive?

I'm kind of unsure if I really want this SSD the more I've sat and read about the ownership experience, it seems like you guys are constantly fighting bloat from Windows and lazy developers alike. I can easily see myself turning into an obsessive-compulsive sperg tyring to clear out every little bit of room and then wondering why Windows is so hosed.

That's only really an issue with smaller drives. I just use mine normally except that I keep large files on a secondary drive (like my steam install or video files) and when I'm playing a game that benefits from better load times like an MMO or FPS I use SteamMover to move it to the SSD from the storage drive. There's not a lot of hoops to jump through unless you just jam everything on your SSD and fill it up.

e: and to answer the initial question, you won't see as much of a difference day to day unless you install your OS on the SSD. It's a really good idea to put the OS install on the SSD and it turns your computer from "I click the icon and I sit and wait while the HD grinds" to "I click the icon and everything pops up loving instantly." Sitting in front of the computer waiting for it to do whatever the hell wastes a lot of time.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 29, 2013

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Craptacular! posted:

How do you handle regular app installs, etc? It's been a long time since I last tried establishing a "Program Files" directory on a different partition than the system was installed onto, and it didn't go so well. But that was also probably during the age of WinXP or maybe even earlier.

Most programs I install on the SSD. I don't find that there are too many very large programs I need that aren't games. If they're very large I'll point the installer to a directory on the storage drive. The last time I think I did this was when I installed MS Office with a default install instead of just grabbing word and excel or whatever.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

rage2kk2 posted:

I use the same timeout for sleep as you do. Even with a power on/off cycle of 24 times in 24 hours x 30 days you get 720 cycles. I've only had the drive for 4 months, so in 120 days this drive is reporting it's been power cycled ~6800 times, an average of being powered on/off 56 times a day unless I butchered the math.

Considering my Old Crucial M4 from July of last year that's in this system reports 3603 Power Cycles I'm inclined to believe something isn't quite right. This is an old motherboard so who knows.

It's likely the motherboard, my 840 Pro shows a power on count of 4 with 1446 hours of use. I think that is off by a few but it should still be under 20. Perhaps the power on count in SMART is just not very accurate.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Storysmith posted:

So I have an unusual use case and I was wondering what SSDs would best fit it. I have two small SBCs, an Udoo and a Cubieboard. Think "slightly more advanced Raspberry Pi." Both run off of internal microSD cards, which are surprisingly slow even for UHS-1 speed rating.

Both have SATA connectors, but since they're relatively slow ARM processors I don't think I need screaming performance, and since they're not going into heavy disk I/O uses (one will be a controller for a 3D printer, the other an embedded development environment) I'm mostly looking for a more responsive desktop environment.

So yeah, any recommendations? Ideally, anything under $150? I'm assuming I want to avoid the earlier non-SATA 3 models for reliability concerns, but these things are never going to be speed demons.

Any SSD is going to be fast compared to other drives. Since you'll be using them with Operating Systems without TRIM you should look at a Sandforce based drive like the Intel 530 or Intel 330. Unfortunately the great deals for those are mostly over, but if you're in the US there are still okay deals on the 530 on amazon, at $124 for 180gb and $159 for 240gb.
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-2-5-Inc...words=intel+530

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alereon posted:

They're available here, it improves TurboWrite (likely improving performance) and support for advanced hardware encryption, including TCG Opal and Microsoft eDrive.

Anandtech has more details here, they also released RAPID mode for the Samsung 840 Pro (removing the 840 Evos desktop performance advantage) and an mSATA version of the Samsung 840 EVO with capacity up to 1TB, a record.

Well RAPID mode on the 840 Pro is just ridiculous, the sequential read/write test are over 850 MB/s for me now, up from the 550ish MB/s I had before RAPID was on.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Just to make sure, i can turn RAPID on and off on a dime (or rather a reboot) right? I guess the 2 GB ram are just allocated constantly and not dynamic as requested?

Yeah you can just enable/disable it in the Samsung Magician software (requires a reboot). I don't see anything running on my system using a full 2 GB of ram anywhere so maybe it's dynamic? I'm honestly not sure but neither the rapid mode service or the rapid mode notification utility are using more than about 1.1 megabyte of ram right now and they're the only obvious rapid mode things on my process list.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Strong Sauce posted:

I just got my 840 EVO that I got to replace my old C300. What is the best way to copy over the contents of the C300 over to the 840 EVO? This machine is my Windows 7 box.

Can I just do some kind of xcopy and copy the contents 1-to-1 or do I have to do something different?

You'll want to use imaging software. I use GParted and CloneZilla a lot but they're live boot discs, I've heard goons suggest http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx often.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bourbon posted:

Yeah, but the more I think about it, the Magician defaults on the Advanced page will most likely vary from system to system since they initially reflect the OS defaults. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to my OS defaults before I started clicking around on that Advanced OS Optimization tab in Magician. I think the only thing I applied was the Prefetch/Superfetch deal. Now I don't know which way it should be set. According to this (old) MSDN site, Windows 7 is supposed to disable it automatically anyway for SSDs.

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro and I'm really trying to avoid starting over from scratch just to see which way a couple bits are flipped. So if someone with a modern system (I have an AsRock H77 Pro4/MVP, 16GB RAM, i5-3570, 840 Evo 250GB) wouldn't mind checking their settings and comparing to this, I would appreciate it, just for my own peace of mind:

Mine's set this way: . The only thing I've done is disable hibernate intentionally (I never use it and don't want a 16gb hiberfile.sys).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MondayHotDog posted:

I have an SSD in my machine running Vista. I just bought a new motherboard, processor, and copy of 8.1. I want to format the drive before I swap in the new mobo, so I can make sure it'll be running in AHCI mode before installing Windows. What do you guys use for formatting a drive? And does Win8 still use NTFS?

To wipe an SSD you'll want to use a utility with Secure Erase to restore the flash to like new state, then the windows 8.1 install will partition and format it for you.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MondayHotDog posted:

Is there a way to do this without some sort of bootable media? I'm trying to use HDDErase.exe but you need to run it from DOS, and I can't for the life of me get my system to boot from USB. I don't have a floppy or CD burner.

Alternatively, is Secure Erase completely necessary? The drive is a 2 month old Sandisk Extreme, and it's never been more than 80% full.

If the drive is fairly new you might be fine without secure erase, but pretty much all secure erase utilities will require booting into another OS if your system disk is the SSD since it's getting wiped.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Antignition posted:

Good to hear, thanks for the reassurance.

Now, once again something I probably should have looked into before buying this, but my Gigabyte GA-MA770T mobo only supports SATA 3Gb/s. This SSD boasts a 6Gb/s speed. Am I to assume then that I would have to upgrade my mobo to use this SSD to its full potential? If that is the case, how much slower would it be?

To expand on what Factory Factory is saying, it is true that SATA II is slower than SATA III in terms of raw throughput. In real world daily use you will not notice a difference between the two. The main thing you will notice is that your PC feels fast as hell on an SSD versus a HD. Loading a program will take a second or two. You won't sit there going "I know I clicked a thing, what the gently caress is it doing" while the drive chugs away.

SSD is a bit like BONESTORM:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Antignition posted:

I am getting a bit frustrated, as dealing with this PNY XLR8 Pro I recently purchased has been one hassle after another.

I was having a serious stuttering problem with one particular game I was playing. It was suggested that I try disabling LPM, which involved a few registry tweaks. Since it was port specific, and I wasn't sure which of my 3 hard drives were in which port, I consulted the manual for my GA-MA770t motherboard and changed the hard drive configuration. I put my SSD in the SATA2_0 port, my Samsung HD502HJ in the SATA_1 and my old Seagate in SATA_2.

Now the bios hangs when scanning for my AHCI drives. When all 3 are connected it doesn't detect any after hanging for about 5 minutes. When just the SSD is plugged in it detects it, albeit slowly. Before it was instantaneous.

Any ideas? Kind of a drag when I can't access my other hard drives.

If you have some sata cables handy, try swapping them out. If you don't, reseat all of the cables in case one is loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fookolt posted:

So I cloned my M4 to my EVO no problem and then when I went into the Windows 8.1 recovery disk to fix my boot loader with bootrec /rebuildbcd, it finds the Windows install (at "[1] \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows") but when I try to add it to the boot list, it says the requested system device cannot be found. I then go into diskpart and find that the SSD volume is hidden...What the gently caress? When i try to clear the hidden attribute on it, it says the object cannot be found.

Any ideas?

Edit: I'm wondering if it's because the original SSD is MBR and the new one is GPT. I'm going to set the new one to GPT and try again.

What utility did you use to clone the disk?

• Locked thread