Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've only played a bit of NG2 but I don't think is really comparable to DMC, DMC is all about looking cool when fighting while NG is all about getting big combos. If anything, is better to compare it to God of War.

Ninja Gaiden is the opposite of getting big combos. DMC is way more about big combos than NG ever would be. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking for a new DMC-style game to play on PC.
I've played the poo poo out of DMC 3 and 4, finished Metal Gear Rising like 4 times (that game's sooo good) and even finished DMC: DMC which was mediocre but the gameplay was enjoyable enough.
Is there anything I missed that could scratch that DMC itch?

I'm not too well versed in the DMC games, but I'm playing through the first Darksiders at the moment and it has been quite fun. Seems to have a similar over-the-top hack and slash gameplay to the best of my knowledge. I'm hoping to try Castlevania Lord of Shadows the next time it goes on a big sale, which might not be till the winter steam sale.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

graynull posted:

I'm not too well versed in the DMC games, but I'm playing through the first Darksiders at the moment and it has been quite fun. Seems to have a similar over-the-top hack and slash gameplay to the best of my knowledge. I'm hoping to try Castlevania Lord of Shadows the next time it goes on a big sale, which might not be till the winter steam sale.

I played Darksiders 1 and I really didn't like it, the combat just felt really awkward.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Darksiders is more like a zelda game than dmc. Combat is basically something to do while exploring and the bosses are puzzles.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't remember a lot about Ninja Gaiden Sigma other than I hated most of the bosses for being giant monsters that were boring to fight. I have Black now so I should probably replay it, but I dunno.

Black is infinitely better than Sigma. Yeah Sigma had too much BIG BOSS enemies and they weren't that great. Also another weird thing I didn't like about Sigma, and this is more of a aesthetic choice, is how everything wasn't gushing out blood. It was purple mist or something.

It made Sigma 2's cutscenes look really weird seeing Ryu chop someone down and no blood. Like the slapped a E or T rating on the game.

And holy poo poo is NG not a combo based game. You do that and you'll just end up being slapped around like the first tutorial boss shows you. Hell I think that tutorial boss grabs and you basically whacks you upside the head.

NG really shines when you can do rolls/counters and gently caress up your enemies. Being flashy just gets you killed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I never played the first NG, I left NG2 after the wolfman boss and it has been years since that. Guess I was misremembering :shrug:
I do remember getting big combos on Dragon Sword though, there's a NG for Vita isn't it? Maybe I'll pick up that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I never played the first NG, I left NG2 after the wolfman boss and it has been years since that. Guess I was misremembering :shrug:
I do remember getting big combos on Dragon Sword though, there's a NG for Vita isn't it? Maybe I'll pick up that.

Both Vita NG Sigma games are 30 fps(more like mid 20ish because they are bad ports). You should ignore them at all costs.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I thought Sigma 1 was great even compared to Black, but didn't really like Sigma 2, or 2 very much anyway.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jack Trades posted:

I've played the poo poo out of DMC 3 and 4, finished Metal Gear Rising like 4 times (that game's sooo good) and even finished DMC: DMC which was mediocre but the gameplay was enjoyable enough.

There are the Lords of Shadow games which range from "not great" to "awful", Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z which is a complete piece of poo poo... uh, Marlow Briggs?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Have you played Bayonetta?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Marlow Briggs is fun, but it's more like GoW, really.

Nihilarian posted:

Jack Trades posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Beef Waifu posted:

Marlow Briggs is fun, but it's more like GoW, really.

I haven't actually played it but people keep telling me it's "surprisingly good" which I guess means it's a competent God of War clone rather than a terrible one? By PC action game standards, that ain't too bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I'd love to but only own a PC unfortunately and Japanese developers really don't like my platform of choice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't actually played it but people keep telling me it's "surprisingly good" which I guess means it's a competent God of War clone rather than a terrible one? By PC action game standards, that ain't too bad.

I'll preface that "surprisingly good" from me comes alongside the fact that it cost me 99 cents.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a competent GoW clone with James Hong as the main villain and Steve Blum as a flying tiki head which spouts voodoo jargon a lot. For a game I bought for five bucks it was pretty fun.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

If you're not opposed to 2D games, Valdis Story is a good game with combos and a rating system. You only get rated on the bosses, though.
Aces Wild is also decent, though it's a bit more like god hand in that it's about throwing enemies at your other enemies.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

Darksiders is more like a zelda game than dmc. Combat is basically something to do while exploring and the bosses are puzzles.

Darksiders 1 is a god of war clone
Darksiders 2 is a legend of zelda clone with prince of persia platforming and diablo loot

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Sorry that's basically about it. If you're feeling saucy you could borrow/rent an Xbox and play Bayonetta. If you liked Rising you will love Bayonetta as long as the BDSM doesn't creep you out too much.
There's also God Hand that's a PS2 exclusive with a PS3 store port. I don't know how well it emulates on PC but that's worth a shot as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bloodrayne Betrayal is a 2D attempt at that style of game, albeit a mostly unsuccessful one.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I bought an xbox360 just for Bayonetta and it was totally worth it. Would buy again!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

notZaar posted:

There's also God Hand that's a PS2 exclusive with a PS3 store port. I don't know how well it emulates on PC but that's worth a shot as well.

God Hand works quite well in PCSX2. It's a really good game, has a couple major flaws but it also does a lot of things better than anything else in the genre. It's very worth playing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hey, so I just beat DMC4 and why do people like DMC3 better than this game because DMC4 is loving amazing holy poo poo.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like them about equally. You should play 3 if you haven't. I'm sure you'll like it if you liked 4.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I have, actually, and that's making me even more confused that people like DMC3 better than DMC4.

Edit: Not that DMC3 is bad, it's not, it's a good game, DMC4 is just better in basically every way.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

alcharagia posted:

I have, actually, and that's making me even more confused that people like DMC3 better than DMC4.

Edit: Not that DMC3 is bad, it's not, it's a good game, DMC4 is just better in basically every way.

Mainly because is very repetitive. You play the whole game twice, one with Nero and one with Dante.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I felt basically that way about DMC3's third act, DMC4 actually did a lot to spice it up by giving you an entirely new playable character to play around with (Dante is tons of fun in DMC4,) not to mention that it has better bosses even if they are recycled. gently caress Doppelganger, he's a lovely boss

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Only thing I don't like about DMC4 is that stupid dice room. I thought the developers were aware when Dante breaks it in half, as if they were going hahah we are just kidding. You don't have to do it.

And then comes the boss rush dice room.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The main problem with DMC4 is that half the game is just the first half of the game again. Aside from that, the combat is at its best.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And the fish, bird swords and chimeras are annoying and unfun to fight.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I never had that much of a problem with them, and also it's not like DMC3 isn't guilty of the same drat thing (Soul Eaters, The Fallen, Arachnes, the entire set of chess pieces)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Pomp posted:

And the fish, bird swords and chimeras are annoying and unfun to fight.

loving chimeras. They always ruin my SSS runs. Its like oh hey BAM RANDOM hit out of nowhere.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How do you hate bird swords when they are effectively the most fun enemy to buster that isn't the Blitz. The enemy design in DMC4 is great for the most part.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yeah exactly, you can loving hurl them at other enemies and then they explode!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Beef Waifu posted:

How do you hate bird swords when they are effectively the most fun enemy to buster that isn't the Blitz. The enemy design in DMC4 is great for the most part.

Playing against them as Dante drives me insane.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I really don't get the DMC4 complaints either, going through old maps doesn't matter to me because the encounter design is switched up, and gameplay is inherently different due to Dante's mechanics. It's not like a Super Mario Bros game or something where the level design is a huge part of the game design, it's just kind of background dressing, a couple steps up from the stages in a Street Fighter game just because of the occasional platforming in some sections.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 12, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I really don't get the DMC4 complaints either, going through old maps doesn't matter to me because the encounter design is switched up, and gameplay is inherently different due to Dante's mechanics. It's not like a Super Mario Bros game or something where the level design is a huge part of the game design, it's just kind of background dressing, a couple steps up from the stages in a Street Fighter game just because of the occasional platforming in some sections.

Exactly, I don't care if the wallpaper is the same when I'm playing through as Nero and Dante. My only problem is the gimmicks that Nero has to go through, but Dante isn't having any of that poo poo.

I wish there was a random version of the Bloody Palace, since I can never get through the Blitz fights with much health left.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
To me DMC4 feels really unimaginative, especially when you consider how much variety DMC3 has. It's not a bad game at all, but I feel like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel. If they focused only on Nero it might have been better, though people would raise hell.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

notZaar posted:

To me DMC4 feels really unimaginative, especially when you consider how much variety DMC3 has. It's not a bad game at all, but I feel like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel. If they focused only on Nero it might have been better, though people would raise hell.

But most of the variety in 3 was kind of terrible. I feel like 4 had less stuff but more consistently good stuff. 3 at it's best was better than 4's best, but 3 has a lot of poo poo I just never want to have to do again.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Most of 3's levels are extended annoying puzzles keeping me from loving poo poo up. 4 had them too but they're weren't as intrusive. Plus the combat is good nothing else matters. If 4 was just bloody palace with more bosses it would still be mostly worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Dmc3 falls flat sometimes, but DMC4 is chock full of fluff and filler like reused bosses and levels and that dumb dice game.

• Locked thread