Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Pesky Splinter posted:

As I said, obvious bullshit.

you forgot to mention vergil being made by the bad guy to trap people that would want to revolt and how he turns into a dinosaur with vergils face

I really, really want this spoiler to be true so we can get a rushhour style dante and dante game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love to hear the thread's opinion of DMC2. What went wrong?
vvvv Right, I know that part-I'm more curious from a design perspective, what were the poor decisions that were made, and how were they arrived at?

In DMC1 you essentially had two melee weapons. Each was satisfying to use, and because both movesets had very clear uses/strengths and you could change between them at any time it rewarded you changing between weapons a lot which feels fun and helps keep the combat dynamic. In DMC2 you have regular sword, long sword, and strong sword. Each of these things has the exact same (boring, limited compared to the sword in dmc1 and with controls that don't make much sense) movelist, and you had to go into a bunch of menus to change between them.

In DMC1 you had four guns that all had very clear differences in how they work, and even if the handguns were a little weak and you had no real reason to use the demon laser over air raid or DT bullets none of them were useless (but didn't invalidate the fancy sword stuff that was the reason this game isn't just the next resident evil game). In DMC2 the guns are hilariously overpowered (not helped by the fact that only using guns doesn't ruin your style meter and the enemy/level/moveset design making hitting people with your sword a pain in the rear end) and they all work the exact same besides the rockets (which isn't even as unique as the grenade launcher and is basically just really slow moving bullets that will never hit anything half the drat time).

In DMC1 you had kinda interesting enemies like demon marionettes and spooky ghosts with giant cutting shears and poisonous monkeys. In DMC2 you have a lot of skeletons and other generic looking evil poo poo that looks like it came out of an AD&D manual. DMC1 enemies had all sorts of interesting patterns, gimmicks and weaknesses (updated in your little enemy guide thing), in DMC2 enemies are lucky if they have more then one move. The AI is a lot less ruthless too.

In DMC1 you basically just had four bosses (fire spider, lightning bird, ice blob-of-poo poo, dark knight) copypasted three times each and then a dumb star fox thing at the end, but the bosses themselves are interesting and every time you fight them there are new gimmicks for you to deal with (and since you have more gear/moves, new ways to fight them) which keeps them fresh. In DMC2 pretty much every boss is "giant indistinct piece of poo poo monster that you dodge it's telegraphed as gently caress attacks and shoot at a lot" (the most infamous of these being that goddamn infested helicopter, a boss that's literally just 10 minutes of shooting at a helicopter that spends most of the time offscreen, nothing says "exciting and stylish action game" like watching dante shoot into the air like a texan forever). There's like one, maybe two good bosses in this game and even then they're nowhere near as intense as anything in the first.

In DMC1 you were kinda doing a super metroid thing where (while the game was very linear and broken up into levels) it mostly all took place in the same castle/island until the last few levels where you go into hell. Walking past a room in mission two, then having to walk back because you only got the key in mission four is a neat thing. In DMC2 every level is completely blocked off from the others, and the only one that isn't linear as gently caress is instead an annoying slog as you walk in circles looking for orbs to open a door. There are no secret rooms or well hidden bonus missions in DMC2, and they didn't even bother to make 20 unique levels to match DMC1's 20 missions because a bunch of the levels are just "boss fight in arena, cue next level" and lucia only gets like 12 levels (most of which are either carbon copies of stuff dante does, or a dante level in reverse. She does get the one good level in the entire game with the clock tower though, GJ lucia.)

In DMC1 there were those annoying underwater segments, but they were pretty short and easy so once you got used to the wierd framerate it wasn't bad. DMC2 has several levels that are ALL ABOUT being underwater (they even make you fight a boss in that poo poo) and the controls are even worse.

In DMC1 Dante did goofy stuff like call a giant lava spider fat or tell a giant bird to flock off because he has feathers lol get it. In DMC2 dante's only has a handful of lines because they turned him into a brooding Sephiroth wannabee or something who's cool because he stares off into the distance and is all mysterious or whatever. There's only like one good line from him in the entire game. I can't even enjoy this as it's own thing because it's just boring as hell. Lucia's story has a lot more talking which is a problem because her voice acting is loving terrible. She changes accents mid-sentence, an entire game of this bullshit is way worse then filling dark souls with light, which is at least funny.

In general the game just lost all of it's sense of style from the first. There are no scenes where Dante lifts his body up all the way through a sword (including it's giant spiky handguard) instead of removing it from his chest just to show off he can, instead dante jumps off a lot of buildings. When he does the stinger, Dante doesn't power-slide across the room and then slam the enemy really far away, instead he takes two steps forward, stabs them and then they fall over. You don't get to do a cmon motion with your gun in a flippant manner in order to build back your magic meter that lets you do cool stuff (they also totally hosed up how devil trigger works in this game), instead you get to shoot them a whole lot because this is the new Dante that doesn't taunt people (or do anything besides generic matrix/blade poo poo, for that matter).

They took literally every single reason why the first game was such a hit and replaced it with something way less interesting, while taking the issues people had with it and either not changing it or making it worse. The one exception to what I just said is the proto versions of the styles from dmc3 that are in dmc2 (with the roll button, fancy new ways to shoot guns, actual midair combos) but none of that stuff is actually worth using in this game so it's pointless. I'm glad capcom for some reason gave the team a second shot at this poo poo because then they made dmc3 and that game is incredible and fixed pretty much everything I just bitched about, but DMC2 is way worse then even the ninja theory game because at least they copied a lot of stuff from good games like dmc3/4 when it came to gameplay instead of new coking the poo poo out of everything.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 3, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Also, DMC2 doesn't have a song even a 10th of memorable as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGcliA-HNw

e: as for how they arrived at all of this, if I had to guess they just misunderstood why people liked the first game really badly and were also kinda pressed for time by capcom or something/not very good at making videogames yet

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 3, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Why are people saying that black is better then sigma 1, when sigma removes a bunch of lovely puzzles?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

mash your lovely handguns and cry that everything about dmc4 is so bad and unfinished

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

AccountingNightmare posted:

I just started playing the Special Edition and they changed the "Speed" ability to kick in almost immediately while moving. :allears: This is the best.

still have to buy it though for some reason?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

you can straight up infinite credo by just doing the first two hits of yamato air combo -> teleport over and over after launching him

guess they didn't program him to deal with someone that has unlimited air attacks like that

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's because all the other bosses suck

the three big demons all have like three moves and the exact same pattern of charge -> shoot projectiles -> oh no im stunned please don't press circle and god of war me -> some sort of get away from me move after they get up
dante button reads way too hard meaning your actual options for fighting him are way too limited, in particular if he goes into royal guard and you aren't nero you literally get to sit there and wait for him to stop being in that mode wtf is that
bugman loses hard to just getting in his gril and hitting buttons, all of his moves whiff or have huge tells but he's still the best non credo boss
sanctus, the savior and that dumb window barely even count as boss fights and are super lovely

shame they couldn't actually finish the game so we could get the planned gilgamesh/lucifer/pandora bosses, those probably would've been awesome

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dol posted:

Dante is actually a really, really, well designed boss because it ties into how Nero is a total rookie compared to Dante. Dante is better with a sword and his guns, is faster then Nero and you won't have an easy time trying to beat him on his terms. What he doesn't have are Nero's biggest strengths: the devil bringer, level three charge shot and level three exceeded moves.

Once you realise that you can't out perform him and start getting tricky the fight really opens up and is lots of fun since it becomes a reactionary game of play and counter-play between you and the boss.

aren't you basically just admitting that you have to devil bringer/charge shot spam dante instead of actually having fun fighting him? you can't really react to "every time you do a rushing move I will jump and helm breaker you", you just have to sit there and hope dante decides to do something that leaves him open instead of busting out a near instant shotgun blast you can't react to

maybe it makes sense in the story but dmc has done way better examples of boss fight design being dictated by story (like in dmc3 when vergil totally poaches beowulf and gets a weapon, complete with "look at this cool new weapon I got" scene like dante always does)

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 28, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I will say it's really cool that dante on higher difficulties/bloody palace will pull out new weapons to simulate being on a new game+ like you are, good job itsuno

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Capcom: "Please buy our hideous sniped baby abortion because we lost so much goddamn money on it please"

I mean if I have to be completely honest the DmC re-release is way better than dmc4 special edition is

DmC re-release genuinely tried to fix more or less every bad part of the game besides the cut-scenes (and even a few of those have been tweaked) and stuff like the new hardcore mode, 60 FPs and an actual lock on really do go a long way

DMC4 SE can't even be assed to include the featureless white void training room DmC has or remove the timer on bloody palace, features literally everyone wants and which would take all of 10 minutes to code, let alone fix the many many other issues the game has.

Don't get me wrong even with all the improvements there's still not really much of a reason to play DmC over other games in the genre, but I kinda feel the exact same way about dmc4 even if it is still slightly better (if only because DmC went from an F to a C while dmc4 is still a B-), in that I wanna shelf both games and just go back to playing bayonetta/dmc3/godhand/ninja gaiden/viewtiful joe for the eleven billionth time

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The DmC changes are attempts to fix serious problems to the game but they're lipstick on a pig to put it bluntly and at the end of the day a lot of the core design problems are still there.

like?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I mean don't get me wrong. DmC:DE does do a fair bit to improve the game, but the core problem is that DmC is still well well behind the other games in the franchise and it still has a lot of fundimental core design problems.

I meant it when I said even with the improvements DmC is still kind of a dumb game and probably not worth your time, however taking into account "amount previous game has improved" and the fact that dmc4 has literally nothing going for it outside beyond the character movelists I still gotta say that DmC DE is a better game than dmc4 SE, if only because I wanna encourage them actually trying to fix things.

I mean, frankly, most of your complaints apply 100% to dmc4.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, they really don't. You tossed this out without even thinking about it and it's pretty clear that you're more interested in making snarking comments than having an actual discussion because you want to keep making weird backhanded comments about DMC4 and how much you dislike it.

Okay, effortpost time.

Really awful bosses
Almost every boss in DMC4 is loving terrible and they were clearly designed around using the devil bringer and nothing else.

The big demons are all full of lovely parts where your only option is to sit there and wait for your turn to actually do things but that look neat (berials fire moves that have zero counter besides "get the gently caress away" and his tendency to charge a million miles away from you because the arena is so big to show off NEXT GEN GRAPHICS, the frogs fog bullshit where he just gets to go "okay now fight these really slow moving enemies that don't really fight back, can't meaningfully be comboed and automatically dodge most of your moves, all the times the snake lady flies away), these bosses all have the same annoying habit of just falling over so that you can press circle and watch a totally hella wicked cool animation play and the boss takes tons of damage. You don't have to earn these stuns the way you do against say beowulf in DMC3, you don't even need to do lots of damage within a timeframe, you just keep hitting the boss and eventually it falls over and gives you a chance (often several) to do tons of damage. All three of these bosses are also blatantly designed around nero's devil bringer (berial literally can't hit you with non fire moves if you constantly grapple to his face and mash attack, the frog literally can't hit you unless he does his leap attack if you grapple at his face and mash attack, the snake lady constantly backs away from you in mobile mode and the position of her weakspots in stationary mode are clearly designed for you to constantly grapple towards her face and mash attack. These guys are lame, they don't have interesting weaknesses or counters for their moves like the similar Three Elemental Demons you fight in DMC1, they dont change at all during their rematches, all they have are big arenas to show off next gen hardware that they make you chase them through and god of war style cinematic finishing moves.

All the angus fights are filler. The stupid window (if that even counts as a boss) is literally "devil bringer to win" or an incredibly tedious affair where you have to make your lock on ignore the 10 billion flying sword enemies and tap at a glass window, and the direct fights aren't much better when it comes to being interesting. Like the big demons he too is very clearly a boss that punishes you for not just mashing grapple and attack at him while he flies around the needlessly big room. The dante fight is garbage. Doing anything besides a devil bringer move is just asking for him to button read you and counter you with something for half your health. Trying to bait him out is a poor idea too, as there's no way to react to his shotgun shots that you cant block by shooting like you can his pistols. No, the only smart strategy is to mash grapple and then mash buster (make sure you mash buttons during the needlessly long cutscene that plays after you buster him to actually do damage!). It's a far cry from the vergil fights in dmc3. Sanctus is yet another boss where the intended strategy is "grapple a bunch and then hit sword" only the game makes it blatantly obvious with having to grapple towards his shield, and the Savior (if that counts as a boss) is just wandering around a maze of platforms trying to find the one that lets you beat up on a non-moving target while you dodge pathetically easy to avoid projectiles.

Credo is a genuinely really awesome boss (in part because it doesn't punish you for not having a devil bringer and having one isn't an instant victory), so of course he's the only boss the game doesn't make you fight twice.

Poor enemy design in general
Every regular enemy in DMC4 is a step down from the games it's lazily copying (dmc 1/3).

The scarecrows have less going on than the marionettes from DMC1 or the hell prides from DMC3. Unlike the marionettes they can't grab you, unlike the prides they can't block attacks, unlike either their swings are slower, telegraphed more, and leave them way more open as they spin several times past you after you dodged their first swing. They can't even claim to have different royal guard/roll timings on their moves like hell prides can

Frosts are lame because they get to arbitrarily just leap out of your combo and go into super armor unless you (once again) have the devil bringer in order to quickly pull yourself over there and throw them out of the armor. They spend most of their time hanging out shooting easy to avoid projectiles instead of getting in your face the way the spiders or abyss from DMC3 do. They also don't have as many moves as DMC1 frosts.

Assaults are probably the DMC1 enemy that was the least ruined by DMC4, but they still made their shields less interesting, removed their weakness to getting hit at specific angles, and made their burrow move 500% more annoying because it lasts way longer

Blitzes are perhaps the most annoying enemy ever put into one of these games. Every blitz fight goes in one of two ways. Either they sit there like idiots and you instantly remove their armor and kill them, or they decide to be huge cocks that never stop teleporting, so you pick at them with guns and it takes forever for them to decide to stop wasting your time.

Flying swords are a joke that basically just exists for nero to throw at people and otherwise goes down like flies.

The fish monsters exist to drag things out for as long as possible if you aren't nero and can't just grab them out of the ground

The dogs are the one enemy new to dmc4 that doesn't exist just to make things take forever, but it's a massive step down from the dmc3 enemies who's job it is to stand back and shoot at you. They don't have the fire speed or backtracking of enigmas, and they don't have the gimmick of range moves making them stronger like hell gluttony. Instead the dogs just kinda sit there and shoot or charge at you.

Chimeras are pathetic fodder that exists for nero to rip in half god of war style, or to mix with other enemies and making them super obnixious because every couple seconds they have a big "don't stand near me" AOE spike swing move that happens even if you're hitting them.

The ghosts are another DMC4 enemy that's been made worse from DMC1. They have less moves (each type has one attack), they're less aggressive, the level design gives them more things to hide in where you can't hit them and they have a big "oh no I'm vulnrable now" phase instead of having to constantly fight and dodge.

Angelo's have the exact same "if you don't have devil bringer I can just leap out of your combos and you get to deal with that" poo poo frosts pull, but angelos can also pull the most extreme of dick moves and fly really far away from you. The room where they get first introduced after fighting credo is the worst example of this, where you can be hitting one only for it to decide it's going to fly allllllllllll the way to the other side of a huge hallway and then slowly charge up a comically easy to dodge energy move. They're also yet another enemy that exists for you to devil buster them, this time to remove their shields.

-Angel weapons are still significantly worse than Devil weapons even with all the combined nerfs and buffs.
The weapon balance in DMC4 for dante is terrible. What reason do I ever have to use lucifer outside of using the rose for a midair launcher when it's damage is terrible, it's reach is terrible and it's not even that much faster than the other weapons? poo poo, DMC4 SE actually removed the lucifer glitch that was used for some fancy combo videos meaning this thing is even more useless. Rebellion is COMPLETELY invalidated by yamato outside of mashing DT enhanced stinger, as the only uses rebellion has in DMC4 are aerial rave and drive (which are replaced by aerial rave and dimension slash). Unlike DMC 1/3 you can double jump with the gloves meaning they're even more the objectively most useful weapon even before you get into distortions that let you punch bosses for 50% or more of their health in one move. Even without distorations and double jump gilgamesh is still by a long shot the most powerful weapon in DMC 1/3/4 because it has a combination of the best parts of ifrit and beowulf, you have access to all four styles at once and the other weapons have no proper niches.

I've been avoiding comparisons with DmC because I'm focusing on dmc4 being bad but I would argue that the weapon balance in the DmC re-release is way better than DMC4, they made the demon weapons/demon dodge a less absurdly powerful and the angel weapons have lots of really handy AOE/combo extension moves like prop shredder and round trip (two moves that are really good in DmC and total rear end in dmc4.

-Gun weapons are likewise similarly still quite crap, even with buffs.
The guns are loving worthless in DMC4. Pistols do more DPS than the shotgun does at point blank, fireworks and gunstinger are crap now and pandora has all the big damage setup moves, meaning there is literally zero reason to ever use the shotgun and it just sits there as that thing you have to skip past to get from pistols to pandora. Despite doing more damage than the shotgun the pistols actually do way less damage than they did at DMC3, especially at distances where you would want to use a loving gun IE more than a foot away from an enemy. Pandoras missile attacks are so clunky and hard to aim that half the time enemies have already moved by the time which leaves the mediocre air minigun, the two meter attacks that are basically just cheats, and omen which seemingly only exists to take down blitzes. The guns aren't powerful the way roll grenades or jump shotgun in DMC1 or guard cancel spiral/missile and level 3 charge shots in DMC3. The guns aren't interesting like nightmare beta or artimis. The only guns in the entire game worth using are neros and ladies level 3 charge shots (stupidly overpowered) and vergils summoned swords (because you might as well while you're stabbing people since you can combine them)

-General poor combat mechanics. this is the one thing DMC4 has going for it. the very base framework of the combat mechanics/character movesets are quite good, it's just brought down by lovely balance, a removal of a bunch of key moves from dmc3 (where the hell is enemy surfing? nero does it in the opening cutscene) and bad enemy/boss design that encourages using devil bringer over anything else.

Level design that is so heavily focused on 'setpieces'
DMC4's level design is full of stuff like this. Why are there so many empty hallways with nothing in them to show off the next gen graphics, hallways so long the game has to include a run feature (that it makes you pay for???). Why do I have to do stupid bullshit like mash grapple between grim grips, play dice games or do teleport/lost woods style mazes? Why do I have to slow down time so I can move past some propellers or lasers that are otherwise instant pain? Why is the level design literally a straight line that you then backtrack through when DMC 1/3 had a really ghetto metroidvania thing going on where you had to explore and fight through enemies to find which square hole the square key you just got lands in. Some food for thought, DMC2, DMC4 and DmC all have very linear level design that doesn't let you go back to previous areas unless the mission is explicitly about going to that previous area.

neither DMC4 or DmC are what I would call good games, but DmC actually tried to fix itself and had some unique stuff to set it apart, whle DMC4 is just throwing dmc 1/3 into a blender with MGS2 and then being forced to publish the game when 40% of it is finished (as said by itsuno himself) so I'm less open to it.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 29, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

notZaar posted:

Not to cherry pick but the scarecrows do have a block and they'll use it often on the higher difficulties.

don't wanna call you a liar but I have literally never seen this happen while on DMD prides block constantly

ImpAtom posted:

Almost everything you posted here is straight-up wrong. The mere fact that you say that every fight is design around the Devil Bringer is not only false it's objectively false considering there are lots of cool things Dante can do with bosses,
You haven't actually explained how the boss fights aren't designed around using devil bringer. Dante being able to do "lots of cool things with bosses" doesn't have anything to do with that. Are you really going to tell me that bossing sitting there so you can grab them, something only nero can do, is not an example of the game being designed around him?

quote:

and a lot of your claims are straight ups strange (Pandora being 'hard to aim'? What?).
the wierd up/down/left/right aiming it takes on where dante refuses to turn to face enemies he's locked onto and instead turns into a turret is awkward.

quote:

In fact the bulk of your complaints appear to be based around some bizarre argument that the Devil Bringer overwhelms everything which... isn't remotely true. A lot of your arguments I can't even counter because they're saying things which are factually untrue or revolve around very specific opinions, which are yours to hold but absolutely are not going to be universal.
You can counter by saying the truth, if what I'm saying is wrong. What about "gilgamesh is even better than every other similar weapon in DMC games because it's way stronger and your other weapons in this game are weaker" "guns do less damage than other DMC games" or " this enemy had more going on DMC1" is an opinion or not true?

quote:

Your claim about DMC3 and DMC1 having 'ghetto metroidvania' design when they are literally divided into chapters where the path is set for you is particularly silly as hell.
both games have blue/yellow orbs that requires you to massively backtrack and go generally go way the hell out of your way through old areas since the castle/tower are all connected. DMC2/DmC lock you into specific areas and in DMC4 the game is full of roadblocks that arbitrarily prevent you from going backwards

quote:

It's pretty clear from the way you post that you have a bizarre hate-on for DMC4 and literally nothing it does would make you happy.
which is why I praised it for the parts I like? why you gotta be so melodramatic.

quote:

It's fine to dislike a game but at this point it's pretty clear you're not actually talking about the game, you're talking about your personal dislike for it.
I'm talking about why I personally dislike the game and find it not as good as other, similar games. All issues someone has with a game are personal, even if they're based on arguments beyond "I just don't like it".

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 29, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

maybe it's just that with the changes in how enemy DT works I tended to go after them first, while the reverse was true for dmc3

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, including Lucifer, which is why your complaints about it come across as not making sense.
Work with me here. You act smug and ask me to give explanations for what I think, and I do in probably way too many words. But all you're giving me is "no actually you're wrong, [thing] is good and useful". Explain to me how pandora is worth using when you have to waste your time using the piddley minigun to use the actual useful moves (and could've just kicked everything to death and been done way faster). Explain how non pandora guns are worth using when you admit the handguns are poo poo but the shotgun does less damage and has no utility. You haven't explained how all the enemies aren't clearly designed around devil bringer either (this doesn't mean dante can't do cool stuff with them).

quote:

No they don't! Most of the blue orbs, at best, require you to go back a room or two! You absolutely do not have to 'massively backtrack' at any point.
dmc3 gives you a blue orb for, instead of continuing to climb the tower in mission 15, going a complete opposite direction through a bunch of old areas that have been slightly altered in order/geometry you have no reason to go through and then fighting a bunch of HVG and fallen. You an also get a gold orb if you continue to backtrack and walk all the way to dantes office and do a repeat of the chapter 2 enemy waves. There are similar things in dmc1 and nothing like this in DMC4, at least to this level.

quote:

Literally the only thing I've seen you praise is a backhanded compliment about how Dante gets new weapons on NG+ in a boss fight.
and credo, and the game engine. Maybe calling it "movelists" is the wrong word but I'm not 100% sure what to say. Mechanics? the general framework and idea of "what if dmc3 dante didn't have to pick between stuff" is a really good and obvious conclusion, but they made so many things watered down that it doesn't work on execution. the dmc4 engine has some really nifty stuff to it like guard flying and lots of potential very cool combos but the problem is that actually playing the game outside of making combo videos just doesn't flow properly the way stuff like bayo or godhand does because there's a lack of polish and interesting enemies to make all the big fancy moves and advanced canceling techniques worth doing because the game was released before it was even half finished. It's just DMC3's combat mechanics but you can use more stuff at a time and with a lot of your options removed or made way worse. That doesn't make it big rigs or anything but I just don't really have a reason to play that when I can just play DMC3 instead.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

point blank is soooo goood why did they remove it

at least now I have lady's shotgun which is the most OP shotgun this side of doom

e: quotin these sick gifs for a new page so everyone can bask at how good the dmc3 shotgun was

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Guns in DMC4 were much, much more useful than DMC3 overall, and I'm someone who went out of their way to use a lot of guns in DMC3.

how is this possible when guns do less damage (especially at a distance), have less moves and you have less of them period

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

alcharagia posted:

nero's gun is laughably powerful with the charge shot, and dante can actually use gunslinger without having to forgo other styles with useful moves of their own, which opens up a bunch of utility (fausts would be murderously difficult in dmc3!) i have not played dmc4:se but i can tell you that in dmc4 vanilla guns are a much more important part of the play than in dmc3, where there's like, one gun that's good without gunslinger.

I specifically pointed out that nero's charge shot is the exception to guns not being way worse than they are in dmc4.

The best stance for spiral/rocket launcher isn't even gunslinger, it's royal guard, because their gunslinger moves suck and royal guard lets you cancel the recovery to pump out shots way faster. Artemis is the only gun that needs gunslinger to be worth using. Shotgun and handguns do still noticeably more damage in dmc3 than in dmc4, and charge shots don't boost them nearly as strongly in dmc4 to take into account being able to charge them at any time/with devil trigger. I just compared the two games myself to make sure. I thought handgun/shotgun doing less damage and them having weird damage scaling that results in handguns having more DPS than the shotgun at point blank would be pretty widespread knowledge since this game is what, seven years old?

Nothing dante can do with a gun in DMC4 compares to the damage of SSS point blank, guard cancel spiral or the twosome time glitch.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also while they have less moves the ones they do have are all more immediately useful and interesting. Most of DMC 3 guns weren't anything really interesting or all that useful outside of gunslinger, but then you're stuck in gunslinger because of the poor way styles are handled in it. Seriously, I don't know how anyone could see Panadora and all of the crazy poo poo it can do and think "No guns aren't good and aren't worth using."

handguns have roughly the same moves just not as strong. shotgun doesn't have point blank, the spread is more hosed up and fireworks isn't nearly as good at crowd control with all to show for it being "shoot a regular shot behind me". there's nothing with the utility of artemis, the raw damage of spiral or the quick and easy breathing room of the rocket launcher. The buzzsaw and missile pod thing with pandora are cool but you have to build up a meter by using missile moves that aren't nearly as good as the DMC3 missiles or a minigun that's basically never worth using.

I can't imagine fighting beowulf without spiral, arkham without the rocket launcher, cereberus without the shotgun, jester without the pistols or the giant whale heart thingy without artemis. In DMC4 there's never any real point in using guns because they do less damage, they don't work nearly as well at crowd control (especially since dante has moves like overdrive and dimension slash now that let him easily own crowds with melee) and there's never a boss or enemy that makes you want to fight at range like beowulf or geryon (and you never need to anyway since you have trickster at all times and can just teleport).

Even the enemies in DMC4 that appear to need guns don't actually need guns, you can just melee -> royal guard to cancel recovery to take down blitz shields (way faster than using guns), since taking potshots as they teleport does dick all anyway, and against fausts you just either use omen (which I guess counts as a gun but it only does damage to specific enemies with max pandora meter and has no range so it doesn't really count) or go ape with aerial raves. Meanwhile if you don't have nevan (which is basically a gun yeah it's pretty petty of me to count this as a gun but not omen so sue me) you will need to do shooting against enigmas, bloodgoyles, soul eaters and wraths in DMC3 or you're way less effective

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 29, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Fereydun posted:

wait is guard canceling spiral shots faster than doing the weapon switch with ebony/ivory for that

also gunslinger style lets you do the ghetto honeycomb which is actually my 2nd favorite e&i move (mashing gun and style like an idiot for insane damage)

real honeycomb just ain't as cool

yea it's faster, not by a ton but it's pretty noticeable and if you have RG for spiral you're better off taking the rocket with you

mashing gun and style is the twosome time gltich I was talking about, best part is it makes dantes model wig out so on top of being the thing that makes a guns only run way faster it looks really funny

e: man I just realized another thing dmc4 doesn't have, moves that get better as your style meter goes up

like in dmc4 rainstorm always does a kinda small amount of bullets but in dmc3 if your meter is maxed you just poop out bullets and destroy everyone below you, it rules. rewarding you for not being a masher rules

I guess DMC4 can't have that and also a style meter that takes 800 years to go down though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

alcharagia posted:

like royalguard's neat and all but on the other hand i could be using this sweet electric guitar, and i believe we all know what is more in-character for dante

making enemies literally shatter like glass because I stuck my arm out and went nah son to their swords is way cooler tbh

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

style switcher in indeed the greatest of all time DMC game

the extra bits of that mod that let you cancel everything into everything kinda rub me the wrong way though

I guess it's already kinda cheating to be able to just pop out quicksilver whenever you feel like while still having moves, although I guess DTE is way more cheaty so who cares

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

you don't actually rev up the sword mid fight

if you tap it just as you connect with your sword you automatically get 1 or 3 bars depending on how good your timing is

you might need to buy this move, it's called max act iirc

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

DMC4 overall doesn't have bosses that feel like they're ringing off some checklist, they have very defined gimmicks and purposes and they can vary in how good they are.
?????

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

That's my line

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

god drat that boss is so bad, the upgraded version (which is the final loving boss) is even worse because instead of being interesting they just gave him more moves where you can't hurt him so it's even more tedious

even doppleganger is better because he actually tries to attack you and it doesn't take as long to loop him to death because he's so weak to beowulf

watching that video, it seems like a real missed opportunity that lady can only pull herself towards that one specific boss and not against other stuff that she can't slam with her grapple (like most of the other bosses)

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 30, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

does asuras wrath get to be invited to this party or is that more like the anime version of dragons lair?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Fereydun posted:

have i been doing the arkham fight wrong? i don't get what you mean by 'sit in the corner and mash shoot'

if you're extremely boring it's by far the safest way to fight phase two, shooting handguns makes vergil go ham on arkham while you chill out and doge worm missiles. personally I've always been a fan of nevan for it. phase 1 alternating between nevan/beowulf swordmaster air moves does hella damage and jam session/shockwave are the only 360 AOE you have without styles so it helps to avoid getting owned by sharks to the back

trying to compare arkham with a dmc2 boss is really silly though, arkham actually has threatening attacks

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 30, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

For every pretty cool cutscene in dmc4 you have two insanely lovely ones that go on for too long about how nero really wants his girlfriend back or the really uninteresting motivations for what the order of the sword members are doing.

in dmc3 having the subtext of "dante/vergil/lady are giant dorks because they're all like 18" makes for lots of funny contrasts run through every scene and actually gives them character arcs. The only thing that happens during the course of dmc4 is that nero loses his job. The rest of the cutscenes are just old man permastubble dante acting like he's going through a midlife crisis or something and has to show these kids he's still cool and random like back in the day.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

anyway I actually have a post that isn't just "GAME Z IS NOT AS GOOD AS GAME Y" for once

I tried to reinstall the dmc3 styleswitch mod onto my new PC, but whenever I try to load the game it just says The application was unable to start correctly (0Xc000007b). Game runs fine before I instal the mod files, and removing dsound.dll from my dmc3 folder makes the game go back to working just fine (but also removes the mod)

no idea why this started happening, anyone got a clue?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Fereydun posted:

the mod's currently undergoing a buncha hotfix stuff right now but i think this one is related to the name of the exe?
it has to be "dmc3se.exe" exactly including capitalization or something like that according to the comments

id just stick with 1.0 for now

reinstalled everything and trying 1.0 still shoots me the exact same error, what the heck

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Fereydun posted:

did you remember to do the full installation stuff with the xdelta and afs crap? idk

I ended up just buying the steam version, works fine

forgot this mod has swordmaster/gunslinger reversed from dmc4, my muscle memory is all hosed up now

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Replaying dmc3 every now an then is always great because I always find new things.

For example, did anyone here know you can royal release through the spike walls in the trial of skill? with jump guarding it's pretty easy, the hardest part is the hosed up depth of vision because parts of dmc3 are pretty blurry

notZaar posted:

They clearly shoehorned the little girl into it because where would anime be without underage girls to fetishize?

I figured it was because gungrave did it

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

finally finished lady/trish. frankly I'd have rather just played the whole campain as lady. trish feels super limited and that's the last thing you want for the really bad dante levels that are already sucking your will to live

on the other hand vergil loving owns so much holy poo poo, they made him way more interesting than dmc3 where all he could do was jump cancel one of his three jump cancel moves over and over or just rub your finger over shoot/melee and watch everything disintegrate

now vergil has actual mechanics/depth, can do pretty much all the cool stuff dante can do and almost seems better tutored for the enemy design than either of them. as far as I'm concerned dmc4 is officially vergil the game with bonus character lady's shotgun

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

one question though, I haven't played DMD in this game for a number of years, do enemies not do insane amounts of damage like dmc3 or do they scale the damage so that later level enemies are stronger?

cuz in dmc3 DMD a single hell pride swing was like 1/4th of a max health bar while in this game a scarecow swing is way smaller

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

well, whoever called me out a few days ago when I said sacrecrows can't block when they totally can, I've realized why I forgot that.

not only do they do it way less frequently on DMD than hell prides, but you can break their guards open by just hitting buttons while prides only have a few swordmaster moves they can't block, making it way less annoying

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

which is weird because DmC dante has a lot of the same moves/animatons nero does, just made worse

kinda like DMC4 vergil is basically just DmC vergil but with better moves/animatons

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I've found two other uses for vergil's concentration meter beyond more damage and bigger judgement cuts

when the meter is maxed his beowulf moves get a third level of charging (level 3 just charge and distorted uppercut is hilarious) and if you let him put his katana away all summoned swords embedded in enemies instantly explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

just found out there`s actually an unlisted spiral sword move

after you have the tutu out, if you hold the button again the swords will get in really close and hold around you, then shoot out in all directions when you let go

you can do this while you taunt too so you can do stuff like spiral swords, taunt to get most of the meter back, release the swords if anyone gets close since these specific swords knock enemies back

• Locked thread