Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God of War has really cool setpieces and QTEs, it's my favorite bad hack n slash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

old man (not agnus i keep forgetting his name) is so loving lovely as nero holy crap he's such garbage that the new chars invalidating him makes it way more fun to fight him because you're not farting around chasing him around or waiting around

speaking of which:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H06OBjnFsY0

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
god drat that boss is so bad, the upgraded version (which is the final loving boss) is even worse because instead of being interesting they just gave him more moves where you can't hurt him so it's even more tedious

even doppleganger is better because he actually tries to attack you and it doesn't take as long to loop him to death because he's so weak to beowulf

watching that video, it seems like a real missed opportunity that lady can only pull herself towards that one specific boss and not against other stuff that she can't slam with her grapple (like most of the other bosses)

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 30, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Beef Chief posted:

God of War has really cool setpieces and QTEs, it's my favorite bad hack n slash.
Yeah this is how I always felt about it.

Heavenly Sword is the runner up for similar reasons.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

does asuras wrath get to be invited to this party or is that more like the anime version of dragons lair?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That game is legit just an anime with button presses, like there are parts where you play it, but do you actually play it or are you just watching cutscenes where you press more buttons?

Things that make you go "Hmmmm?" But no, Asura's Wrath is my favorite qte game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It is a blurry line between cutscene and gameplay with Asura's Wrath, and that is what makes it great

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The Sanctus fights could be 10X worse and I'd still love them for nothing else than Nero's Buster moves, beating the absolute piss out of a geriatric man :devil:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sanctus has some really funny Busters where you keep Sanctus afloat by just beating the poo poo out of him and hearing his VA's groans of pain is hilarious.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Any game where you beat up a pope is cool with me. I think that's just DMC4 and Assassin's Creed 2 though.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I'm kind of amazed you'd say Sanctus is a better fight than Arkham. Yeah Sanctus is a middle-of-the-road fight but at least it isn't literally DMC2-bad like Arkham is (and like the Savior almost is). The strategy for fighting Arkham is straight-up "sit in the corner and mash shoot" and it only gets worse once Vergil steps in.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I'm kind of amazed you'd say Sanctus is a better fight than Arkham. Yeah Sanctus is a middle-of-the-road fight but at least it isn't literally DMC2-bad like Arkham is (and like the Savior almost is). The strategy for fighting Arkham is straight-up "sit in the corner and mash shoot" and it only gets worse once Vergil steps in.

The whole "Vergilganger Style" thing was way too cool of an idea to waste on Arkham's lovely boss fight. I really wish there'd been a whole level where you got to control the brothers together. :(

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

i'm assuming you mean the other way around, as in "i'm amazed you'd say arkham is better than sanctus"
with nero sanctus (2/final boss) is literally nonthreatening while having a fuckton of stretches where your best option is to basically be doing nothing because you need to constantly close the gap between you and him so you can hit him
like there's even the gimmick with the devil bringer snatch lil things that scream "hey grab me" but why the gently caress would you do that when running at him is way easier and safer outside of the rare occasion where those things are actually useful and bring you to him fast enough to hit him
the entire fight is just you chasing him for the significant majority of the fight with no real input until he actually stops in place and does an attack that he commits to, and then it's just you hammering on him with the only real threat being your increased boredom because oh boy you get to keep chasing him. attacking him/damaging him is absolutely not the meat of the fight, it's running around bored out of my goddamned mind

arkham does not have that problem- he's threatening in a rather stupid manner and you're always technically engaged with the enemy within the fight. there's no point where you're not technically able to go on the offense even if it might be a crazy idea to do so.
yeah he's got really poor tells and the dumb missiles are basically the only real threatening thing about him if you actually bother to engage him but the most important thing is you're never forced to just sit there and wait to be able to attack him- you're the one creating the openings rather than the game deciding that the boss won't fly off this time around.

his most offensive aspect is that he's tedious, not boring. and boy howdy can be he very tedious as picking weaponsets that can't deal with the situations he puts out will straight up kill you. that's pretty lame/bad design in a dmc game, yeah!
but a worse offense is being boring and that's what sanctus and the savior are. they're boring beyond all belief because you cannot actually engage them until the game outright decides you can
they're basically shittier versions of gigapede because at least with gigapede you can shred it to pieces in one or two passes and that's actually highly satisfying.

edit:
also gigapede's theme owns way more

also:
have i been doing the arkham fight wrong? i don't get what you mean by 'sit in the corner and mash shoot'

i pick swordmaster and kalina ann/e&i and run away from dolphins while rocketing them til they start spinning then do million carats/ice sphere over and over until theyre all dead and the guy shows up
then i switch to beowulf and do jc hammer over and over and repeat until vergil comes
and after vergil comes i just start mashing like crazy on cerberus jump attack jc or killer bee jc to avoid the missiles for the big guy
when the dolphins show up its just kalina ann jc/switch cancel + pray vergil does something by mashing out rapid slashes with him until they go away or wait for them to start spinning and then DTE-> revolver my way out of/into trouble

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 30, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Fereydun posted:

have i been doing the arkham fight wrong? i don't get what you mean by 'sit in the corner and mash shoot'

if you're extremely boring it's by far the safest way to fight phase two, shooting handguns makes vergil go ham on arkham while you chill out and doge worm missiles. personally I've always been a fan of nevan for it. phase 1 alternating between nevan/beowulf swordmaster air moves does hella damage and jam session/shockwave are the only 360 AOE you have without styles so it helps to avoid getting owned by sharks to the back

trying to compare arkham with a dmc2 boss is really silly though, arkham actually has threatening attacks

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 30, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Blob Arkham's shittiness is compounded by the game faking you out as if you were going to fight someone with a copy of Sparda's powers.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Why was Arkham also the Jester again?

Also the Jester fights were kinda boring.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Split personalities were cool back then.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Blob Arkham's shittiness is compounded by the game faking you out as if you were going to fight someone with a copy of Sparda's powers.

yeah but in exchange you got a good rear end joke

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I love how Arkham is all "You cant handle the true power of Sparda!" and then proceeds to vomit dolphins for the entire fight.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I miss the general plot and cutscene direction of 3. 4 lacks cool moments (though it has quite a few) in comparison.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I miss the general plot and cutscene direction of 3. 4 lacks cool moments (though it has quite a few) in comparison.

even dmc1 has cooler/more memorable moments than most of dmc4 because most of dmc4's cutscenes are based around nero who just ain't as cool as dante
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4R2_5p5KU0&t=61s
that intro cutscene leaves one hell of an impression vs. nero's poor dante impression/generic anime mainguy all throughout dmc4

(i actually forgot that the first thing that happens in dmc1 is trish roundhouse kicking dante in his own shop and then impaling him with his own sword)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress that, the first Dante vs Nero cutscene is great. Just Nero tossing poo poo around and Dante no selling all of it in the best way.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dante bopping Nero on the back of his head during Mission 10 is worth the price of admission. Hell, every scene with Dante is gold (as it should be)

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Then getting impaled by his own sword, again. Gotta keep the status quo somehow.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The cutscene before the Arkham 2 fight is so fantastic and pumps you up and then you get the lovely blob fight made even shittier by not being able to use style actions and it's just regrettable. It's a shame they didn't have one more button to use.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I just watched that team up jackpot poo poo again for the hundredth time. Thanks for the link!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

4 lacks cool moments (though it has quite a few) in comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySY5YMoBp7c

And the rest...is silence.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
That Opera house scene gets trotted out every time, but all I see is the game trying and failing to recapture the fun and irreverence of the DMC3 cutscenes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're really boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

That Opera house scene gets trotted out every time, but all I see is the game trying and failing to recapture the fun and irreverence of the DMC3 cutscenes.

I have no real idea what you mean by 'trying and failing.' That's the most DMC3 cutscene in the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually that's the Lucifer cutscene because that features Dante doing cool weapon stuff too, but the High School Theater scene is a pretty close second

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pretty much all of Dante's cutscenes in DMC4 were at the same level as the ones in DMC3.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
DMC3 literally was 'trying too hard' because that was the entire point of Dante's character for 3/4s of the game: A dude who thinks he's way cooler than he actually is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DMC3 has cooler cutscenes overall for sure because it wasn't just Dante getting to be the cool guy. Lady and Vergil got into the action quite a bit too and I can seriously replay the Jackpot cutscene over and over and over and over in my head because of how much I love it, it's one of the best video game cutscenes. DMC4's got a lot of good cutscenes though, especially Dante's, and Nero gets to do cool stuff too, but it's not nearly to the level that like Dante's stuff is in both games or even Vergil and Lady's stuff. Nero's cool stuff amounts to the vs. Dante cutscenes, all of his interactions with Agnus being funny, and confrontations with the demons where he puts out a fire by swinging his sword and so on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh and he give Dante the finger, that poo poo had me rolling.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It is no coincidence that the coolest scenes in DMC3 with Dante also have Vergil in them

Same applies to DMC4, except Dante's the cool guy now

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I always figured Arkham was vomiting slugs or leeches and always got grossed out by that phase of the fight.

Pureauthor posted:

DMC3 literally was 'trying too hard' because that was the entire point of Dante's character for 3/4s of the game: A dude who thinks he's way cooler than he actually is.

My favorite part of the Lady/Trish ending was Trish going all "at least someone gets the girl" and Dante waiting a good long while before simply replying with "...yeah". Everyone in DMC is a huge dork deep down and that's what makes them great.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Pureauthor posted:

He looked pretty cool to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nero doesn't work well on his own but he's a great foil to Dante. He's kind of the perfect young rear end in a top hat/straight man to play off Dante's half-dork/half-coolguy uncle personality.'

Honestly Nero only really suffers because his love interest is a cardboard cutout vaguely shaped like a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Pretty much

• Locked thread