Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Article is a bit of a prolick.

And yet you ruined it by giving away the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
read the whole thing in his voice

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

TopGear Series Whatever : James buys last 458 Speciale

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/james-may-orders-the-last-ferrari-458-speciale/

Article is a bit of a prolick.

I didn't lick it, but it was a good read!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Cole posted:

Me, too!

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11580679/BBC-has-chosen-dream-team-of-Top-Gear-presenters-to-replace-Jeremy-Clarkson.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cole posted:

It's amazing how easy it is to do. Works great for that "How to land an Airbus" book too, which is a drat fun read.

Pricing on it has definitely changed a bit since the whole news broke, though :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, if this is true, an interesting part is that both Martin and Glenister have done stuff on channel 4 that speaks well for their ability to carry it, as does Kidd's past history with the show and hobbies. I'm not sure what kind of show we'd get compared to the Top Gear we're used to, but if it's crap, I don't think it'll be because of the presenters.

I really hope Glenister just does it all in character as Gene Hunt.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

I really hope Glenister just does it all in character as Gene Hunt.
I don't think he can help that. I'm watching "for the love of cars" s02e03 right now and most of what he says is still pretty much in that character.

I think looking around for already right now famous people to replace the hosts is completely the wrong way to do it.
Clarkson started it because he wanted to start it. May was a totally unknown, nobody had prejudices or preconceptions and he grew with the show.
To make replacements work, it has to be someone willing to fill Clarksons shoes that has the background true, but the others can be unknowns that work with that other someone.. "Supergoups" never last long...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 4, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fo3 posted:

Clarkson started it because he wanted to start it. May was a totally unknown, nobody had prejudices or preconceptions and he grew with the show.

Both were well-known automotive journalists and had been in the previous incarnation of the series (that became Fifth Gear when it left the BBC). Hammond was probably the least known name in the long-term lineup (sorry season one nobody) to the initial 2002 Top Gear audience, but even he had been on the radio for some time. It's not like these were random nobodies off the street.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's amazing how easy it is to do. Works great for that "How to land an Airbus" book too, which is a drat fun read.

Pricing on it has definitely changed a bit since the whole news broke, though :v:

With the audiobook for How to land a Airbus... James narrated the whole thing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

AHAHAHAHAHA that's gonna fail soooooo hard

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I expect it to be an unholy abomination like The Man Show after Adam and Jimmy left.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Top gear US is the elder statesman, legit top gear now. I hope the new one burns in a ball of humiliation and low ratings

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I expect it to be an unholy abomination like The Man Show after Adam and Jimmy left.

They tried to keep The Man Show alive after that? :psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It lasted like half a season.

The new guys acted like they thought the raucous misogyny and boob and beer gags (which were really jokes at the expense of men) were in earnest. It was like "The Frat Bro Show"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KillHour posted:

They tried to keep The Man Show alive after that? :psyduck:

Yeah, it was Doug Stanhope and Joe Rogan. Doug is one of the most aggressively horrible human beings alive and Joe thinks Bigfoot is real and believed the moon landing was faked for a long time.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Did he stop believing it in 1969?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, it was Doug Stanhope and Joe Rogan. Doug is one of the most aggressively horrible human beings alive and Joe thinks Bigfoot is real and believed the moon landing was faked for a long time.

You just described the same person twice.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
That makes me sad because Phillip Glenister is too rad a dude to be taken down by a terrible Top Gear

It could never happen but Glenister, May and Hammond might have actually worked.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

8ender posted:

That makes me sad because Phillip Glenister is too rad a dude to be taken down by a terrible Top Gear

It could never happen but Glenister, May and Hammond might have actually worked.

I don't mind Glenister in the Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes as well as For Love of Cars, but I fear he is being wasted here.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
Guy Martin is an awesome, unique individual and all of his shows on Channel 4 were pretty great. Totally up for seeing more of him. The other 2, meh.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Seik posted:

Guy Martin is an awesome, unique individual and all of his shows on Channel 4 were pretty great. Totally up for seeing more of him. The other 2, meh.

He also has a pretty sweet volvo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djguAxWPQJA
http://www.driving.co.uk/news/guy-martin-on-his-volvo-fastest-car-in-britain/

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Seik posted:

Guy Martin is an awesome, unique individual and all of his shows on Channel 4 were pretty great. Totally up for seeing more of him.

They may need to close caption him for US audiences.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm sure it's possible to save the Top Gear brand and name, but probably not the show that was on the past decade. If they maintain that they're the world's premiere motoring show and will continue to have exclusive supercar adventures and high-budget production, I'm sure a lot of people will give them a chance for another season or two. But I imagine if they try to jump straight back into leaning heavily on crazy challenges and goofy humor it'll probably fall flat on its face as so many other TG clones have done as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It would be extremely sad to see Guy Martin do SIARPC, contractually obliged to pretend to gve a poo poo about Spiderman 7 under studio lighting.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ola posted:

It would be extremely sad to see Guy Martin do SIARPC, contractually obliged to pretend to gve a poo poo about Spiderman 7 under studio lighting.

If they do that segment, I bet Jodie Kidd hosts it. After all, she has one of the fastest times ever.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
It turns put Guy Martin didn't know about being one of the new Top Gear hosts. What a supprise.

https://www.facebook.com/GuyMartinRacing

(It's not him doing to facebook but's his official one)

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

You're very dumb and probably shouldn't comment on comedians anymore, as it's obvious you have no idea how they function.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

If they do that segment, I bet Jodie Kidd hosts it. After all, she has one of the fastest times ever.

I doubt it will be her.

She'd have to read out the laptime and based on her skill with an autocue, I am not entirely sure she can read.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Ariza posted:

You're very dumb and probably shouldn't comment on comedians anymore, as it's obvious you have no idea how they function.

How do you get that from him talking about how much joe and doug suck? I mean, they both really suck, man show aside.

Also, what's this, a fancy car and the gang and a camera I spy on Jeremy's twitter?

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/595654400623902720

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Doug Stanhope is cool if you're an edgy 17 year old militant atheist

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hopterque posted:

How do you get that from him talking about how much joe and doug suck? I mean, they both really suck, man show aside.

Also, what's this, a fancy car and the gang and a camera I spy on Jeremy's twitter?

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/595654400623902720

I got this one, guys.

:bahgawd: It's plastic and American and complete rubbish.

:banjo: I think it's brilliant.

:spergin: It's completely uncivilized, you twit.

:bahgawd: But it goes like the dickens. POWWWWAHHHH! [makes funny face]

:spergin: Probably tested on the Nurburgring.

:banjo: I still think it's brilliant.

:bahgawd: I agree.

:banjo: Really!?!? [fake shock]

:bahgawd: All that bad stuff I said before doesn't matter because [shallow justification]

:spergin: But would you have one?

:bahgawd: No. And on that bombshell, it's time to end! Goodnight, everyone!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 6, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ariza posted:

No, seriously, Doug hates women and nothing he says is actually a joke. He gets really drunk and then says things he really believes and then his stupid audience laughs because inside they all agree.

Joe is just a loveable idiot who's easily led around so when he gets paired with garbage like Doug he ends up acting like garbage.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ariza posted:

I love going to see comedians where I feel obligated to laugh because otherwise the crowd would beat you up.

This is how I felt when I watch Rogan.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

KillHour posted:

I got this one, guys.

:bahgawd: It's plastic and American and complete rubbish.

:banjo: I think it's brilliant.

:spergin: It's completely uncivilized, you twit.

:bahgawd: But it goes like the dickens. POWWWWAHHHH! [makes funny face]

:spergin: Probably tested on the Nurburgring.

:banjo: I still think it's brilliant.

:bahgawd: I agree.

:banjo: Really!?!? [fake shock]

:bahgawd: All that bad stuff I said before doesn't matter because [shallow justification]

:spergin: But would you have one?

:bahgawd: No. And on that bombshell, it's time to end! Goodnight, everyone!
They actually already reviewed it this last season, they all loved it iirc.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

hopterque posted:

They actually already reviewed it this last season, they all loved it iirc.

Not the Z06.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Anybody catch Rutledge Wood's new show, Lost in Transmission? He and his mechanic friend restore crapped-out old cars.

One episode was enough for me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm still fine with Roadkill

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
This thread introduced me to For the love of cars and it's excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

Anybody catch Rutledge Wood's new show, Lost in Transmission? He and his mechanic friend restore crapped-out old cars.

One episode was enough for me.

For some reason it doesn't show up on either of the History channels here in Canada.