Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nomura musta watched Inception before he wrote 3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
actually christopher nolan read a summary of kingdom hearts before he wrote inception

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The sleeping worlds are probably illusions or some poo poo just like the worlds in KHX. They're chock full of Chirithy's distant cousins

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
The best part is, you're all correct based on some game or another, and you'll all be wrong come KH3 when there's another explanation!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The sleeping worlds are cells in Xion's body.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't wait for Xehanort to get control of Kingdom Hearts and put a Xehanort heart in every body just as plannet but then Sora already has had so many hearts in him he's immune to the effects and then he absorbs all the hearts of everyone Xehanort tried to replace and thus becomes the new Kingdom Hearts since he's the heart of hearts and gets superpowers and has to fight a billion Xehanorts and there's a giant battle between two incarnations of Kingdom Hearts

Thank you for reading my fanfic, the lack of coherency and punctuation was integral to the Kingdom Hearts experience, I feel.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Raxivace posted:

On a related note its loving weird to me that Ursula went to Destiny Islands.

Apparently she was told that they'd be there, and she showed up to kill them. Presumably it was some Xehanort clone or something. She just needed something to do post-KH1 like 3 of the other villains did.

Augus posted:

Kairi ended up on Destiny Islands because of Princess of Light magic or whatever.

KH1 Ansem reports said that he had her chosen and set free to find the keyblade weilder. Then BBS happened and apparently it was actually Aqua's magic spell that put her on the islands. So basically, it comes down to "lol nomura"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sora's going to come home one day and it's just going to be this huge crying fit and he's going to be very confused because he forgot he even had parents years ago

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
But he went home at the end of KH2?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
He came back to the Island that we started on in KH1, not the Island his house was in. Maybe the other islands are no more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dbzfandiego posted:

But he went home at the end of KH2?

I like to think that he immediately went on more adventures and totally forgot to ever go home.

It's been like five years in universe since he's seen his family

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Burkion posted:

I like to think that he immediately went on more adventures and totally forgot to ever go home.

yeah but how many years for sora because it's like he's perpetually 14

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Guys, it's OK. Sora's parents were Xehanorts.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Aqua's spell sent Kairi to Destiny Islands because she specifically made it seek out someone who could protect her. It sent her to Riku since he was going to be Captain Keyblade. Xehanort says in the Ansem Report that he will "set her free". He didn't know where she was gonna end up. It's definitely a retcon, but it's not that much of a stretch.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Burkion posted:

Its been 2. A lot happens between the games but he's 14 in KH and 15 in KH2.
E:Not that its not completely believable that Sora has not been home since Kingdom Hearts. I doubt that hes been to school at the vary least.

dbzfandiego fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 22, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If we go the entirety of KH3 without hearing a peep about Sora's parents, I will just assume that they ceased to exist and he doesn't care.

In universe it has to be pretty horrifying. Sora's parents slowly regain memories of their missing son, who has been gone for over a year since that mysterious storm, meanwhile Sora is having goof off time with disney characters and anime video games.

Like, no one gives a poo poo about Riku or Kairi's parents, and its easy to know why. But with Sora, it's so funny because WE KNOW he has a mom. We heard her! They explicitly included one of them.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SonicRulez posted:

Aqua's spell sent Kairi to Destiny Islands because she specifically made it seek out someone who could protect her. It sent her to Riku since he was going to be Captain Keyblade. Xehanort says in the Ansem Report that he will "set her free". He didn't know where she was gonna end up. It's definitely a retcon, but it's not that much of a stretch.

By itself its not that bad and wouldn't be a problem if it was the only one. But there are so many retcons in this series that it's just dumb, hence the lol nomura bit because that's the only way we can keep the story going I guess

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I can't wait for Xehanort to get control of Kingdom Hearts and put a Xehanort heart in every body just as plannet but then Sora already has had so many hearts in him he's immune to the effects and then he absorbs all the hearts of everyone Xehanort tried to replace and thus becomes the new Kingdom Hearts since he's the heart of hearts and gets superpowers and has to fight a billion Xehanorts and there's a giant battle between two incarnations of Kingdom Hearts

Thank you for reading my fanfic, the lack of coherency and punctuation was integral to the Kingdom Hearts experience, I feel.

smh for not taking into account that it's canon Sora having so many hearts inside him actually makes him super susceptible to also having a Xehanort inside him.

Anyway, Sora having parents that exist (who presumably are his guardians and care about his well-being) just makes the story and nonsense of KH more difficult than it needs to be so it is actually smart writing to just not have it and have everyone be convenient orphans who live on a magic island or something. And this just shows how much more sensible the plots of later KH games are in choosing to ignore this poor bit of story from the original game.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
In KHIII the only parents that matter are Xehanort, who is actually Kairi's parents.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Gee Kairi, Kingdom Hearts lets you have TWO dads?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
xehanort, in the case of XX-year old kairi...

you...

ARE the father!

*booing*
*cries of agony*
*profanity censor*

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't know which retcons actually bother me, because I actually really liked BBS and it comes with a whole mess of them. Plus the plot of Kingdom Hearts is already completely insane, so I feel at ease rolling with the punches. Perhaps the succession thing. Takes away from our original trio in some way to learn that their possession of Keyblades is just because Terra, Aqua, and Ven are irresponsible. And since I've kinda ignored all the X/Back Cover (even though I watched it)/Unchained stuff, school's out on whether I like any of that. The universe was probably better with The Keyblade than it is with 109537089573085 Keyblades.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I don't know which retcons actually bother me, because I actually really liked BBS and it comes with a whole mess of them. Plus the plot of Kingdom Hearts is already completely insane, so I feel at ease rolling with the punches. Perhaps the succession thing. Takes away from our original trio in some way to learn that their possession of Keyblades is just because Terra, Aqua, and Ven are irresponsible. And since I've kinda ignored all the X/Back Cover (even though I watched it)/Unchained stuff, school's out on whether I like any of that. The universe was probably better with The Keyblade than it is with 109537089573085 Keyblades.

I for one love that the only reason that a bunch of teens are heroes is that a bunch of earlier teens were a bunch of careless bumblers

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Obviously at the end Sora's parents are going to be revealed to be Nomura and... I dunno, Yoko Shimomura or something.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sora's mom is a fake memory implanted by Namine because Sora is actually Xehanort, cloned by Ansem the Wise and left hidden in the past from himself so that one day, when Sora is strong to defeat him, he can just take him over wholesale and become perfect. The destiny islands in KH1 isn't a real place it's where important hearts are stored for later use.

(This is actually the plot of Jak & Daxter, funnily enough)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

dbzfandiego posted:

Its been 2. A lot happens between the games but he's 14 in KH and 15 in KH2.
E:Not that its not completely believable that Sora has not been home since Kingdom Hearts. I doubt that hes been to school at the vary least.

You just reminded me of one of Sora's best lines, in KH2: Olette mentions the summer homework they're working away at, and Sora responds with an incredulous "Homework?" like he's never heard of the concept in his life. Which, I guess, I wouldn't be that surprised by.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sora's kind of like Goku, but even dumber and with less of an idea of how social life and people work.

Only instead of wanting to punchmans, he just wants to murder a bunch of emo people, and kill the same guy over and over again forever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey, they started it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As I have just figured out the trilogy of Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, Days and KH2 is kind of amazing

Because Days gives you the full look at how it's about this super complicated and complex group of people who all want different things and have goals and dreams

Some want to make everyone them, some want to be human again, some want to just hang out and be chill with their friends. They have these wheels within wheels and plans running against each other Interpersonal politics and

Then some 14 year old kid with a key shows up and murders all of them

Just has zero time for any of their poo poo and goes on a killing spree until none are left

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

Then some 14 year old kid with a key shows up and murders all of them

Just has zero time for any of their poo poo and goes on a killing spree until none are left
I like how Sora in these first couple of games is almost a proto-Nier, just in not nearly as cynical of a story.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Didn't DiZ have a line in KH2 that was essentially, "I had all these elaborate schemes for Sora to help with, but he started murdering everything basically as soon as he woke up so they all went to poo poo" like he didn't expect it after KH1 and CoM?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love the mental image of DiZ putting together the memories of Sora to use him as some pawn in his elaborate schemes against the Organization

And then just throwing his hands up in the air when Sora Soras over everything in his way. So instead he just makes a laser to blow up a moon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL "Sora is the bad guy" in kingdom hearts is my new favorite take.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

I love the mental image of DiZ putting together the memories of Sora to use him as some pawn in his elaborate schemes against the Organization

And then just throwing his hands up in the air when Sora Soras over everything in his way. So instead he just makes a laser to blow up a moon.
I mean this is almost the plot of CoM anyways.

EDIT: Actually I think I misunderstood what you meant by DiZ putting Sora's memories together. Nvm.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it's less "Sora is the bad guy" as much as part of his arc, as much as he has one, is going from "Nobodies are emotionless monsters that must be ethnically cleansed from the universe" to entities that need to be saved from Xehanort's bullshit too.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 23, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Who said mass genocide and the extinction of a new sentient off shoot race was evil? :getin:

Raxivace posted:

I mean this is almost the plot of CoM anyways.

EDIT: Actually I think I misunderstood what you meant by DiZ putting Sora's memories together. Nvm.

Amusingly CoM has the exact opposite plot. There, Sora's memories are being taken apart so that Marluxia can use him in some elaborate scheme, only for Sora to murder everything in his way regardless.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Burkion posted:

Sora's kind of like Goku, but even dumber and with less of an idea of how social life and people work.

goku fucks, sora sucks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Only instead of wanting to punchmans, he just wants to murder a bunch of emo people, and kill the same guy over and over again forever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sora owns. In a series with increasingly complex evil plots Sora just goes from place to place helping random people and hitting dudes with a key without really even trying to understand the evil plots and is incredibly successful. People manipulate him for their own goals while others manipulate other people to manipulate him for their own goals and he just ruins everything by hitting things with keys hard enough. He makes friends with everyone but when an old wizard tells him an entire group of guys have no emotions and are inherently evil he just believes him without ever really questioning it (until 3D). He connects with people so easily that he's got like half a dozen people residing in his heart, and he hasn't even met all of them, but he does this so hard that he is incredibly susceptible to also having the evil Xehanort enter his heart.

Xehanort has had a bunch of games worth of build up as a master manipulator or whatever who wins even when he loses and also there's XIII of him now somehow but in KH3 Sora's just going to go around barely interacting with the deep KH lore and just hit things with key until he eventually hits Xehanort with key and saves the day because everyone underestimates just how good he is at using keys.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

One gets the sense that Xehanort only just learned about Sora at the end of DDD and has absolutely no contingencies on how to deal with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Funky Valentine posted:

One gets the sense that Xehanort only just learned about Sora at the end of DDD and has absolutely no contingencies on how to deal with him.

Well the backup plan was to turn Sora into a Xehanort. It almost worked too were it not for Riku.