Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
By Kingdom Hearts standards of context, yeah more or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Kingdom Hearts 1 is an exercise in running around in circles until the next cutscene triggers somehow

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Playing KH3D and god drat but this battle music kinda makes me want to mute the whole drat game, it's really bad.

Also who is it on the development team who saw how much fun it was in KH2 to fight with just a keyblade and said we need to never do this again? Between BBS and now this, it feels like they deliberately want fighting with your keyblade to be as unfun and piddly as possible.

While I felt BBS was alright and its drawbacks can be explained away by the original PSP format, something definitely went awry with 3D.

And by that I mean it would have been perfectly fine if not for the fact that standard player attacks have probably the lowest priority I've ever seen in a game. The keyblade is deflected/interrupted by basically anything and everything any given enemy does. I don't recall picking up on it the first time around on the 3DS, but on the PS4 it's really jarring to see Sora recoil because you attacked while the enemy was in the middle of doing something, anything at all.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Finished kh1, onwards to chain of memories

While they managed to touch it up a little bit for the PS2 remake, the original Chain of Memories is one of the few games to qualify as a war crime. If you ever have the impulse to throw that game straight in the trash and YouTube the cutscenes, do that. If you don't feel so compelled, more power to you

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I got my sister started on KH2 over Christmas and it's great. The Roxas prologue is great. The plot is absolute dogshit but you know. At least it sets up Birth By Sleep. Which is good.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Billy Zane was the best only good part of Kingdom Hearts 1 :negative:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

:psyduck:

If the film references 2004 events (as per the wiki article), that would put filming pretty close to, if not later than, KH2 dubbing. Could still be the cause though.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah, Eraqus' deal is that he's supposed to punish you for all-out aggression all the time. Dodge, watch his patterns, but most importantly equip a bunch of Surge and Curaga commands and make sure you have Leaf Bracer/Once More/Second Chance support skills.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Returning to DDD kind of soured me on that game, but if you haven't beaten it I suppose you should.

And Aqua's bit is worth the price of admission alone if you're posting in this thread, probably.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The thing though is that Sora sucks is more interesting as a plot macguffin than a protagonist. Last I heard a second playable character had been confirmed and it's pretty much bound to be Riku, but if we don't at least get to jump between all seven keyblade wielders of light or w/e in the final battle I'm going to be sorely disappointed

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I was getting pretty jazzed about a potential mid-Q3 release for the game, since screenshot comparisons show that they're evidently already in the process of simplifying environments in cutscenes to hit performance targets and then

quote:

1) Development is thought of as split into three parts – beginning, middle and end. Part one is 90% complete. Part two is about 60-70%. Part 3 did not get a percentage. Nomura confirms that he is working on “something incredible” for that final world, something he has always wanted to do ever since his Final Fantasy days.
yeah this game will never be done

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Not knowing poo poo about gently caress is kind of a character trait of his

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

For all his faults, Nomura's background as a character designer is what we have to thank for the abundance and consistency of visual symbols in Kingdom Hearts and how closely they integrate with the plot. It's easily the coolest part of Kingdom Hearts from an execution standpoint, divorced from the crossover premise.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

what the gently caress

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The ritual does include the phrase "through this simple act of taking", so I assume keyblades are just highly contagious

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

HGH posted:

That kinda reminds me, I gave up on Unchained/Union Cross ages ago but I think they made it a point that the reason everybody got keyblades like candy back then was cause they were artificial in some way? Or at least not "earned".

Considering the Keyblade War altered the ontological structure of the world, it might be a moot point. Back Cover strongly implies all keyblades (beginning with the Union Leaders') originated from the Master of Masters.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Larryb posted:

Chain of Memories was technically all her fault

I used to like Aqua but now you have made me see the error of my ways

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

In KH3 they seem to be less D-Links and more traditional Summons by another name.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Like Aqua reaching for Sora's hand at the end of the 0.2 opening, I imagine that trailer was signaling that they're tying BBS' plot and Aqua as a character into the mainline narrative, rather than a depiction of something that actually happens.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Counterpoint: nothing is fun in KH1.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The flashback is implied to have taken place several decades earlier, they just didn't bother making younger-looking character models for them. Eraqus getting over the facial scarring in that time isn't inconceivable, and poor judgment is sort of a defining character trait.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

If Eraqus had just taken goon advice none of this would have happened :sever:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I wouldn't have said anything if previous posters hadn't been mildly positive, but now I am compelled to warn you; CoM is one of the worst games ever made and will make you want to die. YouTube it.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

mods???

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Aqua is made out of paper and is definitely a difficulty spike even after completing Terra and Ventus' campaigns.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Same. It is a good boss.

I had way less trouble with it on the second time through though, even on Critical.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Man the lighting in Twilight Town is somber as poo poo these days.

I can dig it.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Before reading the above posts I didn't know I wanted to explore the suburban mainland of Destiny Islands, but, as it turns out, I do. Desperately.

I suppose it's not impossible that we'll see more of it in KH3 considering Xehanort's connection to the place, but I think we'll have to be satisfied with just Daybreak Town.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

My personal utterly-implausible pet theory is that everything pre-Keyblade War is a dream... Somehow. Chirithy having the Dream Eater mark and such.

Master of Masters disappears because he wakes up. :tinfoil:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Something always bothered me about Skuld's name but it took me until now to realize that it's because it's "skuld", the old Norse/modern Swedish word for guilt (and/or debt).

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It took me until a few minutes ago to piece together the many not-so-subtle insinuations that the mobile game is currently set after the Keyblade War, rather than before. I did think it was strange, the way cutscenes were suddenly mostly flash-forwards....

I'm too dumb for this goddamn lore. :saddowns:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It cleanly explains why the worlds you visit in the mobile game are "holographic projections" for no good reason (the deception necessitates it since traveling to the actual places would reveal that they're separate worlds now) and why Mickey and the gang make a cameo in the Gummi Ship, and gummi as a material -- the membrane separating worlds -- probably didn't even exist before the Keyblade War.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Larryb posted:

I'm actually not sure what Sora's job is this time around since Riku and Mickey are off looking for Aqua and Kairi's busy training with Lea.

Yen Sid seems to have very deliberately shifted any and all important tasks away from Sora at this point, which seems, you know, wise. IIRC almost drinking the Xehanort kool-aid in Dream Drop Distance crippled him in some way and in KHIII he's just off to Herculesland for rehab, because we need plot reasons for resetting power progression between games in tyool 2018 apparently.

I'm assuming he'll get swept up in Maleficent's Quest for the Box and deal with Ventus and Terra mostly by accident along the way.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Larryb posted:

Though if you take BBS at face value and accept that just touching a Keyblade is enough to become a wielder then technically wouldn't that mean that Leon and Jack Sparrow now have the potential to use one too?

Naw, it only works if you've got the makings. Leon and Jack are punks.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

KH1 is absolutely a bad game to play. Anyway,

https://twitter.com/AllGamesDelta_/status/996228349788909569?s=19

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Your survivability in Union X is largely down to medal skills cutting damage taken by 7/8ths and reviving you when you die.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I've been looking for ways to dampen my insane hype levels for KH3 and the prospect of most of the Organization making a return just might do it

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Watched some (illicit?) Toy Story world cutscene footage and I'm pretty happy with Haley Joel Osment's performance.

Puberty Voice Sora in KH2 was a bad time.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Gologle posted:

Also Ventus is either an immortal god child or the timeline of the series is way more messed up than we ever could have imagined.
To be fair, the 3DS game introduced places where time does not flow normally: sleeping worlds.

makes
u
think

about how Chirithy is a Dream Eater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

just don't play it

watch a youtube if you must