Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fojar38 posted:

Alright but every good guy in the game seems to have the power of friendship so I dunno what makes Sora so special then aside from being objectively the strongest character in the series (which apparently doesn't mean poo poo except it does.)

Yeah but Sora is like, the best at making friends with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, Final Mix versions are made later enough from the base games that there's basically time to iron out what they want for the next game enough as to allude to it in the FM version.

Most of the retcons I don't mind, even the Nobody one (Nobodies' deal is still that they don't have hearts, but their body immediately then tries to replace/regrow one, it then also makes sense that this is something most characters would be unaware of). But the big ol' Xehanort-gatherround did irk me, as it more or less cancelled out the importance of KH1-2, it made the events and the antagonists seem smaller by making them all be lies, just part of the Xehanort master plan.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I looked into it further and just FFXV is confirmed for PC release, I guess. Not a huge shock there.

But I highly doubt KHIII will be on anything but PS4 and XBONE. Although I'm still surprised about it being on the XBone.

Can you give a source for FFXV being confirmed for a PC release? That pretty much outright destroys one of my biggest reasons to want a PS4.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Chalk me up with those who stopped getting new consoles after the PS2/Wii (other than a 3DS). When I wanted to do a challenge run way back when it had to be with house rules, none of that fancy-shmancy Exp 0 Critical mode stuff. :colbert:

Proud Mode KH2 with all skills/abilities turned off and no grinding. It was insanely fun and often very difficult. IIRC I only broke my no grinding rule once because gently caress Xigbar ok?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

I always thought it was pronounced like Lee, and not Leia, is that not the case? I never played DDD though, so maybe it got dropped in there.

It gets dropped and is pronounced like Lee, as you said. But everyone keeps calling him Axel anyway. :3:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Excels posted:

and then a few weeks later you get a DLC ending where he chooses to just go home and finally have dinner with his mom.

Only after you fight the DLC boss, Xehanort-possessed mum (Xehamum) and free her from his spell.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Okay wait, what? So the Organization had hearts after all? How does that even work? I thought the whole point that was without hearts, which were basically tangible feelings and emotions, they couldn't actually feel anything except for the desperate desire to be whole again. If they had hearts the whole time, then what the hell was even the point? Why were they going around beating up Jack Sparrow and Mulan?

I've missed the last few games, so I'm curious to hear how this works.

That was one of the few actually interesting things in Kingdom Heart's convoluted clusterfuck of a plot, which I suppose has been reconnected away now.

It turns out in DDD that Nobodies grow a heart over time, and the entire plot of KH1 and 2 were Xehanort's machinations to make 13 of him in order to restore the χ-blade.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Riku's also done quite well, he hosed up in KH1 and proceeded to simply deal with the poo poo that piled on him in all the games since.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

2's plot works fine if you go with it and assume that they're acting out any emotion without genuinely feeling it. And if anything the "retcon" doesn't even really mean that this isn't largely the case; we only know that nobodies re-grow hearts, there's nothing telling us that the Org XIII members had their hearts re-grow by that time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

There's thirteen of them what are the chances at least one of them gets vertigo.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Personally, I prefer janky platforming to the giant empty rooms in KHII

Same, KH2 felt like it had a whole dimension of gameplay missing with the kind of mobility it afforded you.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

Boy I can't wait til you play 3ds.

Don't get me wrong I love flyin around the stages at 100 mph but I feel like it cheapened the initial worlds somehow.

I already have, flowmotion was fun but it was easy as hell to abuse (both in combat and in terms of mobility).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Mischitary posted:

It still is for the most part. I'd say that like, 70%-80% of most of the KH games still consists of you doing Disney poo poo in Disney places with Disney people.

It would've probably been nice if the Disney stuff was more important to be honest. Like in KH1 it's all part of the overarching plot but it feels like from CoM/KH2 onwards it's almost exclusively filler beyond Mickey and maybe Maleficent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Excels posted:

imo if you have to make everyone forget a central character at the end of a prequel to maintain continuity, maybe you should take a step back and rethink your story

That would imply that thought was put into it in the first place.