Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
even Days was kind of pointless plotwise, since Xion's existence was tied to people remembering that she existed at all, so once she died everyone just forgot the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

imo if you have to make everyone forget a central character at the end of a prequel to maintain continuity, maybe you should take a step back and rethink your story

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Excels posted:

imo if you have to make everyone forget a central character at the end of a prequel to maintain continuity, maybe you should take a step back and rethink your story

That would imply that thought was put into it in the first place.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Excels posted:

you can make a drinking game out of the re:coded "movie", like every time you ask yourself "what the gently caress just happened" you take a shot.

you'll be dead before agrabah

"the date escape"

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Excels posted:

you can make a drinking game out of the re:coded "movie", like every time you ask yourself "what the gently caress just happened" you take a shot.

you'll be dead before agrabah
I finally watched that thing a couple of weeks back. I think I asked myself "when the gently caress is something going to happen" more often. That was not a story that needed to be told.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Fojar38 posted:

Do it at level one.

After I 100% on critical I'll do a level 1 critical. I considered a level 1 100% but I don't hate myself enough to do that

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the entire setup to re:coded is so loving absurd and not even a total suspension of disbelief helps. the story makes up a bunch of stupid poo poo on the spot and then makes up more stupid poo poo to justify the initial stupid poo poo.

and literally the entire loving thing can be boiled down to "we need to save the original keyblade trio" being written in the stupid diary

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Excels posted:

even Days was kind of pointless plotwise, since Xion's existence was tied to people remembering that she existed at all, so once she died everyone just forgot the whole thing

Days had a great plot because it was all about Xion and the only reason Xion exists is to explain why Roxas threw Riku one of his keyblades so that they could have a dramatic battle in the Final Mix secret ending. And that's pretty amazing. :allears:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

nobody ever explains what the gently caress "His eyes couldn't lie" means, they just keep repeating it like that makes it clearer

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Excels posted:

nobody ever explains what the gently caress "His eyes couldn't lie" means, they just keep repeating it like that makes it clearer

He had those orange darkness eyes so everyone would know how much of a darkness junkie he was.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm a bit late, but what's up with people placing re:coded at the bottom of their KH tiers? I'm playing it right now and it's super fun. I'd say it's actually the best use of the command system out of the three (BBS, 3D and this) games that use it. It doesn't have the balance or design issues of BBS where the game sort of expects really weird things from you, like knowing exactly how to make once more/second chance. Or the badly designed boss fights, who never flinch and just launch insane attacks you and you dodge around the room for 30 seconds (this isn't all bosses but see: Zach, Vanitas, Braig). 3D meanwhile has the common enemies that are way too annoying to deal with, and the method of acquiring abilities is a horrible chore.

Coded has none of these issues and, in fact, a cool new level up system that works great and is interesting to mess around with. Not to mention the improved command fusion where you can use the fused command without actually fusing it, and you don't have to worry about making important abilities for yourself with every fusion. The only real complaints I have about it are that 50% of the gameplay happens in nondescript and constantly reused red and blue cube rooms, ad that the story is somehow even more pointless than the rest of the franchise.

Oh yeah, and how could I forget that coded even switches up the gameplay for some sidescrolling, turn-based, and shoot'em-up stages that are all pretty well done and give you a nice change of pace. It's a good game you guys, I swear!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Thumbtacks posted:

I considered a level 1 100% but I don't hate myself enough to do that

I don't even think that's technically possible.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Excels posted:

To be fair, she did pop up a few times in 3D, since everything and everyone is jammed into Sora's heart. She might show up again as they're figuring out how to get Ventus/Roxas out.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There is so much potential for the peanut gallery in Sora's head and then they don't use it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

After I 100% on critical I'll do a level 1 critical. I considered a level 1 100% but I don't hate myself enough to do that

It's almost completely impossible. You don't have enough stats to beat some of the extra challenges, so your options are either to not be level one, OR you could craft a million stat boosters and still technically be level 1. I'm not sure what that would prove though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Amppelix posted:

It's almost completely impossible. You don't have enough stats to beat some of the extra challenges, so your options are either to not be level one, OR you could craft a million stat boosters and still technically be level 1. I'm not sure what that would prove though.

Zero Exp gives you a damage boost proportional to the difference between your level and the enemy's level. It is absolutely possible.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

some actually claim the game is easier with Exp Zero than a standard run because the game ensures you are always doing enough damage to get by

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Amppelix posted:

This isn't true at all for KH2.

The thing with KH2FM is that the way the game's damage formula is set up you don't need a ton of high stats to fight.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Zero Exp gives you a damage boost proportional to the difference between your level and the enemy's level. It is absolutely possible.

Has someone actually done it? Because (and this is really sad I know but bear with me) I was chatting with a friend who is a KH speedrunner a while ago and he told me that Level 1 100% is impossible because something to do with the Mushrooms? Like, I think Mushroom 5 is impossible at Level 1, or something. I think that's what he told me.

i'm going off really badly remembered fragments of a conversation about content I never experienced so take my posts with mountainous piles of salt but I do trust the guy to be correct about Kingdom Hearts.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

100% involves mushrooms, and you can't do (some of) them without really high stats. For example, the one in Agrabah which you kill really fast

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Has someone actually done it? Because (and this is really sad I know but bear with me) I was chatting with a friend who is a KH speedrunner a while ago and he told me that Level 1 100% is impossible because something to do with the Mushrooms? Like, I think Mushroom 5 is impossible at Level 1, or something. I think that's what he told me.

i'm going off really badly remembered fragments of a conversation about content I never experienced so take my posts with mountainous piles of salt but I do trust the guy to be correct about Kingdom Hearts.

For the AGDQ 2015 Level 1 Critical Data Org run, they had the gold crown. That's with no stat boosts too.

CaptainButtSmack
Oct 21, 2008
Level 1 cannot get the gold crown without stat boosts. You can stat boost other characters, however, to keep Sora "pure".

Certain mushrooms cannot be beaten without your stats being high, even with the damage formula from final mix. So people usually boost the guest party members and Donald to circumvent this.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

PatTwo posted:

Level 1 cannot get the gold crown without stat boosts. You can stat boost other characters, however, to keep Sora "pure".

Certain mushrooms cannot be beaten without your stats being high, even with the damage formula from final mix. So people usually boost the guest party members and Donald to circumvent this.

Can your party members even kill the mushrooms? I haven't done this in a little bit but I seem to remember them basically doing nothing with them.

Here's the link to the AGDQ thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-sGYBYXv4

Save files and stuff for level 1 data org is at 3:58 or so. Supposedly there are no stat boosts allowed in this category.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's the silver crown. This is well documented; there is no currently known way to do mushrooms without some boosters used on someone. (Party members can do real damage with limits)

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
It's disappointing that there's not even a theoretical TAS-quality way to defeat those mushrooms without stat boosters.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

effervescible posted:

I kind of liked that it was pointless. Days and Birth by Sleep had such heavy drama and sad endings, it was nice to have some primarily frivolous, lighthearted Kingdom Hearts. Sort of a palate cleanser.

Not only is it pointless though, the setup is completely stupid and nothing of interest actually happens besides recycling KH1 plot lines

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Yeah, but it was silly fun. I get why some people wouldn't like it, I'm just saying that a few things people complain about can also be seen as a feature, not a bug.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Augus posted:

Not only is it pointless though, the setup is completely stupid and nothing of interest actually happens besides recycling KH1 plot lines

I thought the abridged version of Chain of Memories in reCoded was neat, especially considering that CoM was already technically recycling KH1. Though to be fair, you can have Data Sora screw things up and get alternate endings in that segment and it obviously fucks with his head, which was an interesting way of retelling Sora's head getting screwed with.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh my loving god data final xemnas is a dick

i'm at 12/13 and i really am not a fan of him

edit: oh hey i killed him. apparently complaining makes me somehow better.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I don't even think that's technically possible.

The only thing you'd need higher stats for is mushrooms so you'd have to synth a ton of stat ups which would probably defeat the purpose

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 21, 2015

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
For BBS Critical, does it not do the thing that 2FM Critical does where you actually do more damage than other difficulties? I started out with Ventus and have gotten to Radiant Garden so far and it all just seems like a slog even killing regular enemies. I am using the command deck btw, and the shotlock when I'm not getting pounded in my face. I'm also pretty heavily relying on D-Links.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jibo posted:

For BBS Critical, does it not do the thing that 2FM Critical does where you actually do more damage than other difficulties? I started out with Ventus and have gotten to Radiant Garden so far and it all just seems like a slog even killing regular enemies. I am using the command deck btw, and the shotlock when I'm not getting pounded in my face. I'm also pretty heavily relying on D-Links.

Nope. You actually do half as much damage in BBS Critical. If you don't do any Mirage Arena missions you'll hit several walls in the game where enemies will take nothing but chip damage

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Critical Mode is butts in games that aren't 2FM basically

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Well piss. Maybe I'll restart then. I like the fact that I get killed in one or two hits but everything else just feels so tedious.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
In BBS, is there any point to playing the Command Board outside of the Mirage Arena? Playing it outside of the arena gives no medals or arena levels, while CB in the arena still gives command points.

Overall I'm loving the command mechanic and the music already. I'm finding myself overlevelled from the simple pleasure of playing around with commands and melding better ones. Terra's fight with the Magic Mirror wound up being trivial even on Critical. :sweatdrop:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There are Bonus Commands on the boards that you can only get outside the arena

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
1 Critical wasn't hard it was just obnoxious because of the seemingly random "enemies are suddenly damage sponge" spikes.

I actually think that in terms of difficulty the period between Sora losing the Keyblade and Getting to EOTW are the hardest parts of the game, and even those are just a matter of playing patiently until you gain enough levels to do real damage to enemies again.

I mean the game essentially boils down to "Get Leaf Bracer and press X a lot", even moreso after Goofy and Donald are properly leveled and have like MP gift and second chance. I think Counterattack is also pretty important because it makes combat so mindless that you can just mash X and literally NEVER get hit and nothing will be able to get through your barrage.

I think I only ever died in the Clayton fight? I was winging it most of the time and still beat the game in a relatively quick fashion without Ultima weapon.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

A level 1 run in KH1 is actually sort of fun because instead of mashing x, you're more or less forced to learn how I-frames work, learn how to exploit summons, and for the love of god make sure you get aeroga. The game's not meant to be played like this as all, and it can be super-frustrating, but it's an interesting change of pace.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

maou shoujo posted:

In BBS, is there any point to playing the Command Board outside of the Mirage Arena? Playing it outside of the arena gives no medals or arena levels, while CB in the arena still gives command points.

Overall I'm loving the command mechanic and the music already. I'm finding myself overlevelled from the simple pleasure of playing around with commands and melding better ones. Terra's fight with the Magic Mirror wound up being trivial even on Critical. :sweatdrop:

Keyblade Board: Ragnarok
Castle of Dreams Board: Meteor Shower, Focus Block/Barrier
Toon Board: Deep Freeze
Spaceship Board: Lightning Ray, Limit Storm (Terra)
Skull Board: Photon Charge
Hunny Pot Board: Sacrifice (Terra), Thunder Roll (Ven)
Secret Board: Lightning Ray, Ragnarok, Fission Firaga

Plus you can only unlock the Secret board by playing each other board outside the arena afaik

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Keyblade Board: Ragnarok
Castle of Dreams Board: Meteor Shower, Focus Block/Barrier
Toon Board: Deep Freeze
Spaceship Board: Lightning Ray, Limit Storm (Terra)
Skull Board: Photon Charge
Hunny Pot Board: Sacrifice (Terra), Thunder Roll (Ven)
Secret Board: Lightning Ray, Ragnarok, Fission Firaga

Plus you can only unlock the Secret board by playing each other board outside the arena afaik

Keyblade board also has Cure, which made my Ventus/Aqua runs so much easier. Didn't know about that until after I'd already finished my Terra run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Is there a suggested order for the worlds in Re:CoM? I went to Wonderland first and it's totally kicking my rear end. All of the enemies cards are like 5 minimum so half my poo poo just bounces immediately.