Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hey, this was probably discussed previously but this thread is kind of big: is there any actual new content in 1.5 or is it just prettied up? Because if it's just shiny and HD-ified, I'll just play my PS2 copy on PCSX2 and save money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It's Final Mix KH1, the 3D version of Chain of Memories that didn't get a very wide release (not even sure it was released at all in my country) and the cutscenes from Days in 3D with voice acting.

E: and a few QOL measures like a better camera and reaction commands.

Ehhhh not really worth it for me then. The changes in KH1 FM were not that big overall, compared to KH2 FM+, so I don't mind missing out. I happen to own Re:CoM as well, and I can just watch the cutscenes from Days on youtube later.

Thanks anyways.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Alteisen posted:

I've done it on Proud. :smug:

Course I go defense and give up magic, the key to that fight is the block attack, block his fire spell and when it smacks him in the face he falls to one knee and gets dizzy, then smack him around till he recovers, rinse, repeat till he's down.

Man, I'd never give up magic, I might not PICK it, but I'd never drop it. Doesn't it lead to you having 2 less overall AP by the end?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Some extra cutscenes, new abilities, some mechanical improvements, an extra boss (for the Japanese this was multiple extra bosses since the US version got special fights.) It's the definitive version but a lot of it is under the hood stuff. KH2FM is a lot more notable a change.

Man I hope we get a KH2.5 eventually because more people need to play KH2FM. That poo poo was a MASSIVE revamp of a lot of stuff. Plus the new optional boss fights were AMAZINGLY fun.

Marluxia is such a fun fight like holy poo poo it's not even funny.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

miscellaneous14 posted:

If a future HD remake includes a version of HK3D without the drop mechanic, no tedious Dream Eater leveling minigames, and the camera pulled way back, I'd be all up for that.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about the drop mechanic, I mean, it's in the title. Honestly they'll PROBABLY just make it cutscenes if they ever do make a remake.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think you even get a trophy for doing them all. I might actually do them this time!

Edit: I hope when they do HD KHIIFM they have trophies for all the Gummi missions, then I'll have an excuse to do them all.

Your excuse would be that they're really fun there :colbert:.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Best combat is, and unless KH3 proves me wrong will forever be, KH2FM+ on Critical. That poo poo was so drat good, and it made me realize I knew nothing about the KH2 combat system from playing it normally. I never used Reflect before FM+, for fucks sakes, and it's the best spell in the series bar none.

The new boss fights are amazingly fun, and the old ones are made more interesting due to the higher difficulty level. I also liked how being on Critical the game doesn't bullshit you with item grinding and just gives you 3 Lucky Lucky abilities and the AP to use them right at the start.

Plus, you know, the Roxas battle actually being playable and actually being SUPER HARD.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

How does KH2FM on Critical compare to say, KH1FM on Proud in terms of difficulty? As hard? Harder? Easier?

1.5 is teaching me that KH1 is super janky and I don't have that much patience for it.

It... Depends. On one hand, KH2 gives you a lot more tools for dealing with chumps, but bosses can be extremely challenging and you actually need to learn your blocks and reflects. I'd say it's overall still a bit easier than KH1FM on Proud, but the easier aspect is due to how much better it is to control and how many more options you have.

It's got just the right kind of balance, to me.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I hate how DDD is apparently super plot important, as I have no plans to ever own a 3DS. Dammit Nomura, why must you release the KH games at a one-per-platform model!? You're making me have to buy every console and handheld just to get the full story!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh hey, neat. Hope it comes over quick, I want more people to experience the neverending pain/pleasure that is Data fights. I hope they remake Coded rather than make it into a movie, but I'm not terribly hopeful, as that game was just filled with gimmicky poo poo that would be hard to translate without a lot of effort.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I thought that the Gummi Ship in KH2 was totally fine. It's just that the original version is so BASIC and BORING. The second game really made them fun to do.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

People wanting there to be no Olympus are unlikely to be happy. It's an easy-to-use excuse for having a coliseum/tournament setting, and if the JRPGs I've played over the years are any indication, people in Japan LOVE these drat coliseums.

(I do too, however, so I'd be totally happy with a third visit to Olympus becauses, annoying though it was, the Coliseums are some of my favorite content in all the games they appear in. That was even the best world in Re:Coded!)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gologle posted:

But Sora absolutely still is the Chosen One, being Disney Jesus and all. I will agree with you about the keyblade part. I liked that it actually was a thing that could not only save the universe but also had good judgement, as seen when it chose Sora over Riku after Riku showed that he was a poo poo. But nope, that's gone out the window now with Xehanort being able to wield his keyblade despite being way eviler than Riku was.

Probably just an evil keyblade anyways. They made so goddamn many of the things, a few of them are bound to be assholes.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The thing I love the most about the X-Blade stuff, is that the X-Blade is literally the only Keyblade with an actual edge. That's its ultimate power, in my mind. The fact that it's actually sharp.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also, what determines the strength of the Heartless is how dark the persons heart is. That's why Sora's Heartless was a lovely little Shadow, since he has like, THE PUREST HEART EVER.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ugh, grinding out Serenity Powers and Blaze Stones is so annoying. Makes me miss the original style of Kingdom Hearts grinding where I just had to kill things a lot, instead of having to play weird minigames with enemies to get stuff. At least I have all the Power Stones I'll ever need, so I never have to fight Sniper Wilds again.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Do you have any tips for Black Ballades then? I'm really terrible at shell games. I can get the first three fine by constantly pausing but I can never get the fourth one.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Legit or no, those are pretty cool sketches.

Anyways, I was a bit curious earlier today and went on a trip down memory lane and the archives to see original reactions to all the KH games. Not sure if anyone cares, but I thought it was funny that:

1) Most people liked KH1 as a rule. Occasional disagreements over annoying platforming sections or empty worlds. Also general Deep Jungle hatred was noted.

2) Not a whole lot of people played CoM. To the point of it becoming a joke in the eventual KH2 threads. ImpAtom and some others made a brave stand defending Re:CoM later, but it fell on deaf ears, mostly.

3) A whole lot of people REALLY didn't like KH2. More threads about people hating the convoluted story and supposed Mash-X-To-Win gameplay than people liking it. Seemed to become more intense after a few days, to the point of one poster being confused due to leaving when people were enjoying it and coming back to harsh vitriol. Also amusingly, some people actually believed Squeenix would bring over FM+.

4) There were NO THREADS about 358/2 OR Re:Coded. I find this to be hilarious as all gently caress.

5) BBS thread was surprisingly civil, though a whole lot of people kept going batshit over the general insanity that the plot twists in BBS ended up being.

DDD is recent enough that I figure it's still fresh in most people's memories. Seeing as I don't have a 3DS, and wasn't around SA when BBS is released, I'm pretty excited for whatever the next KH is going to be (do we know if they'll have yet another spinoff before the eventual future release of KH3, anyways?), since it'll be the first one I'll be able to track in real time with other people.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fojar38 posted:

Wait, people didn't like KH2? I feel like KH2 is the objectively superior game to KH1. Also I sincerely hope people weren't treating KH1 as though it didn't have a stupid overly complex and confusing story, particularly towards the end.

Edit: Also, be forewarned if you go to those links, the author of the webpage has some stupid buttrock playing when you open it. Pause it at the top of the screen.

Mostly the complaints I saw boiled down to: Disney worlds being pointless and repetitive, the combat being too easy and magic being useless (both things that are blatantly untrue on Proud), the plot being too ANIME (this was at a time in these forums where liking anime outside ADTRW was effectively a death sentence. It still isn't too hot a thing to admit to liking, but from what I could see it was witch hunt territory back then), complaints about Nomura character design, complaints about no platforming, complains about no dodge-roll (simultaneously with people saying Wisdom Form is useless...) and some complaints about the coliseum not giving out EXP.

Edit: Also, regarding KH1, the plot is actually really simple... If you ignore all the games that come after it. If you look at JUST KH1, it's a pretty simple light vs. dark story. Deep Dive excluded, of course.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That loving Sned posted:

I think the problem with the game is that they designed the combat system around Sora having all the spells and upgrades, but when you don't have them for the majority of the game, then it feels incredibly clunky. Having to make tight jumps in Wonderland and Deep Jungle with the regular jump is frustrating, having to rely on Donald or potions for healing until you beat Deep Jungle is annoying, and trying to fight enemies with just a three-hit combo is boring.

Donald gets spells at the same time that Sora does, so you're actually relying ENTIRELY on Potions before Deep Jungle. :ssh:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Honestly, Mickey's appearances in every single one of the KH games save Re:Coded are awesome. He's a character that shows up JUST rarely enough that his appearances are a real joy. I wanna play a Mickey-side Kingdom Hearts game. He seems to go on some pretty wild adventures all the time, simultaneously with the protagonists of each game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dr Pepper posted:

On the plus side, you have :swoon:Reflectga:swoon:

Man you haven't seen poo poo about Reflectga until FM+. Using Reflectga against Lexaeus is such an intense feeling, I don't know how ANYONE does that fight without Reflect spam.

Once 2.5 comes out, I think I'm gonna try an ENTIRELY non-magical playthrough of KH2, unless it's in PotC because otherwise it's just too much of a pain in the rear end. By completely non-magical that also means I will not touch Cure spells. I'll probably give up on this run halfway through, and if not, I'll DEFINITELY give up at Data Fights. I've STILL never beaten all 13. poo poo's hard, man.

Edit: As for general magic usage throughout the series, Kingdom Hearts magic has always been thought to be underpowered, but that's just because people stack physical attack and expect magic to keep up. If you focus on it, magic is RIDICULOUSLY strong in KH1. Especially if you completely gear up for it, Diamond Dust and Cosmic Arts and all. I think the absolute maximum MP is 21 or so, but I might be misremembering. At that point, a thundaga will one-shot literally anything that isn't straight up immune, a boss or mini-boss, or IIRC Invisibles. And the latter only have like a silver of health. Magic is ASTONISHINGLY powerful in all the games, it's just that no one seems to ever give it a fair shot.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 23, 2013

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Spiffo posted:

two questions:

Do you know if KH2:FM+ is particularly harder than KH2? The Final Mix on 1.5 is noticeably more difficult than vanilla Kingdom Hearts, so I'm wondering if the same applies to KH2?

Also, how does Critical Mode differ from Proud? Somebody said something about Max HP a while back but I don't remember

If nothing else, FM+ has more challenging bosses to fight, who pretty much all make Sephiroth look like a total chump. Playing FM+ on Critical WILL force you to learn the mechanics of the game, and learn that magic is NOT useless. You'll especially learn that Reflectga is the most overpowered move in the entire game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Translation: We will milk this franchise until the very last possible drop has been wrung out.

Not that I terribly mind, as even the worst KH games have only been about average gaming experiences, so as long as they keep up this level of quality I don't give a poo poo how many million parts they make the story. It's all pretty much nonsense excuses to bash things with a giant key anyways.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Excels posted:

(he specifically said it's fine for the player to believe whatever reason they like regarding Kairi getting a Keyblade from Riku in KH2)

To this day I have no idea why that even bothered to happen. It's not like Kairi DOES anything with her stupid Keyblade. I think she clumsily hits a couple of Shadows in a cutscene with it and that's it, and it's never mentioned again. Felt kinda pointless really.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fojar38 posted:

Also controller-throwingly frustrating but only for the first quarter of the game or so (if you pick the Shield, because then you get Once More at level 25.)

My experience is that it's frustrating until you get Reflect at which point you start actually standing a chance. The absolute worst world in KH2 Critical is Mulan's world, that place is pretty much peak difficulty until you get to the secret bosses.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fojar38 posted:

Xehanort's Heartless is supposed to be special because he willingly gave himself to the darkness. What annoys me is that Sora doesn't have an equivilent since he also willingly gave himself to the darkness.

Sora's heart is too pure, so the only thing it could form was a lovely Shadow. I'm pretty sure that's the canon reason.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think you mean χ-thics in Xehanorts.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jsor posted:

The officer claimed the Heartless had stolen "Kingdom Hearts" and needed to be stopped. When asked why the Heartless appeared to be walking normally despite carrying an entire kingdom, he replied "Kingdom Hearts is light!"

I hope you're extremely ashamed of this.

By the way, for anyone else who got their copy of 2.5 already, is it just me or do the newly dubbed scenes sound kinda... off? Also they seem to have changed Ansem's voice in the flashback sections at the start which is entirely unacceptable.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Spiffo posted:

They did, yeah. The original release's flashbacks had the Young Sora Voice (because they still had him) but the new hosed-up Ansem voice (because they didn't)

Huh, guess I was just misremembering. This is the first time in a while I'm actually sitting through the flashback scenes, I'd gotten used to just skipping them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

judgementbringer posted:

Just got this today and I'm super excited for all the new boss fights. So when do these new data fights start popping up? I want to take these guys on as early as possible. Also, are they actually challenging? Cause in the original version all we had was Sephiroth, and he was a chump. I beat him at like lvl 30 on Proud mode, the last time I played it. :colbert:

There are two varieties of new boss fights: Absent Silhouettes and Data Fights. Absent Silhouettes are pretty obvious as you go through the game, Data Fights are only accessible near the very end of the game, and the last few require a post-game save IIRC. Also, since you're such a badass, clearly you should play on No Experience Critical. I'm sure you'll have an extremely easy time of it.

Edit: Also there's a new superboss called Lingering Sentiment but I can't remember exactly how you access it.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 12, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

muike posted:

That would be sick but I think they want to leave it unique to Terra. It's too bad that Aqua and Ven's Keyblades didn't end up as cool as Terra's.

Plus by the time you beat him you probably have Ultima Weapon.

Ven's is alright, I thought. Though that was mostly due to his unique wielding style. Aqua's is just kinda boring.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

muike posted:

And his Glider is the coolest.

So all the keyblades are manmade, meaning Sora's is, and that will probably not be important, of course, and the fact that Riku's is just Soul Eater But A Keyblade isn't important either

Nah it's probably going to turn out Sora's keyblade is like the heart of all keyblades or something stupid.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

All I want is a final rival battle between Sora and Riku at full power, and for it to somehow, through Japanese magic, import the win record from KH1 and have it update at the end of the fight. And all you get for winning is a Potion.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

We should only judge Disney films by the quality of their best song which means that Mulan is still the best Disney film, sorry every other one!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If anything, non-Proud mode is too easy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Billzasilver posted:

Xehanort melts like the wicked witch as soon as hayner’s plaid shoes touch him

I know it won't, but I desperately want the kick to at least connect. It can even be ignored, but I want the kick to hit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

W-why? Is this some other weird chinese thing like the skeleton stuff?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Brother Entropy posted:

title it "anagram of 'Kingdom Hearts Megathread' but with an X somewhere"

Xingdom Khearts Megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just give literally everyone a keyblade for the final battle. I wanna see Donald and Goofy with Keyblades, I wanna see Woody and Buzz with tiny toy-sized keyblades, I wanna see Winnie the Pooh in a black trenchcoat wielding an edgy keyblade, I wanna see Hayner get a shoe-type keyblade so he can dropkick Heartless all day...