Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

Dressing like a homeless person was his regular clothes. The detective suit was the costume.

Like Batman.

Actually, given the explicit Holmes inspiration, a lot of his stories make more sense if you imagine he's either riding a coke buzz or coming down from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Joe Don Baker posted:

God when are they going to add more Vanilla to Netflix.

I've been getting by on SVU in the meantime there, but as crazy as it is, it's not the same . . .

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Flea110 posted:

I've recently discovered Law & Order SVU and have nearly completed season 13, which I've been enjoying a lot. Is it worth it to start from season 1 after this or are there certain seasons I should avoid or watch first?

The early eps are...weird, in a "we're not quite sure what to do with this" sort of way. But then again, season 1 also has Dean Winters which automatically makes it the best season.

Seasons 8-12 just sort of descend into bizzaro land, with lines like the oft-quoted "TURN ON THE SUN" (with a plotline devoted to tracking a pedophile through Second Life) the whole animal smuggling episode, etc. Although the animal smuggling one did lead to this :3:

also, while trying to find that image, i found this one on tumbler with no description, anyone know WTF the context of this is?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

AA is for Quitters posted:

also, while trying to find that image, i found this one on tumbler with no description, anyone know WTF the context of this is?

The context of Awesome is what. Though Chris looks like he is kissing an ex girlfriend.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
FYI get the vanilla box set. It is so worth it. Saying what's great about it other than every episode will just make you go try and youtube for the stuff, so just get it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Moose Bigelow posted:

I was watching TNT the other day and they had on the one where the guy is killed for wearing a biker gang jacket in the bar after his girlfriend set him up. They tried to pass off Word 95 as an internet message board.

When Benjamin Bratt first came onto the show, didn't they try to write him as a hip, computer-savvy young guy in contrast to Briscoe? I vaguely recall him leading Lenny up into an apartment block while holding open a laptop he was somehow using to radar detect a hacker....

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Jerusalem posted:

When Benjamin Bratt first came onto the show, didn't they try to write him as a hip, computer-savvy young guy in contrast to Briscoe? I vaguely recall him leading Lenny up into an apartment block while holding open a laptop he was somehow using to radar detect a hacker....

There's few things I get a kick out of more than 60-year-old television writers on cop shows trying to come to terms with these weird, new computer gizmos the kids are into these days.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Jerusalem posted:

That'd be s6e2, Rebels (the one Moose Bigelow mentioned just above.) They had some IT guy with an absurd antenna thing that did the tracking, but there was a laptop involved somehow too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The fact that Lennie only ever like once answered a cell phone in the entire course of his time on the show is one of my favourite sort-of-running-jokes on the show.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

got dat wmd posted:

FYI get the vanilla box set. It is so worth it. Saying what's great about it other than every episode will just make you go try and youtube for the stuff, so just get it.

Did they fix season 14? Only reason I didn't bother buying it up. That and laziness.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Gonz posted:

Vanilla is done for. We need a Law & Order outside of the US and UK.

Law & Order Australia would be amusing.

"On the charge of first degree murder, we the jury find the defendant guilty."
"Very well then. The defendant will be charged to 50 hours community service."

I'd been holding out on watching the last few seasons because I felt like I could never take Anthony Anderson seriously. He was in Kangaroo Jack after all. Plus McCoy moved on from prosecuting. But holy poo poo. It was getting REALLY good again before NBC decided to can it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hammed yer log posted:

I'd been holding out on watching the last few seasons because I felt like I could never take Anthony Anderson seriously. He was in Kangaroo Jack after all. Plus McCoy moved on from prosecuting. But holy poo poo. It was getting REALLY good again before NBC decided to can it.

Yeah, I've said it before, but shaking up the cast for Season 18 was exactly what the show, and the writers, needed. Martin and Sisto didn't work out too well together, but once Anderson came aboard, holy poo poo. McCoy as the reluctant bureaucrat was an excellent running story, too. Everything was such a breath of fresh air after the horror that was Season 17. The show could have easily gone for another few seasons ... unfortunately, NBC decided it would be fun to move it from Mondays to Wednesdays to Fridays and back to Wednesdays, and when you do that, you're going to hemorrhage viewers, no matter what.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Looks like SVU Season 13 is finally coming back to the UK, after being on the Christmas break for nearly three(!) months.

How many squad room shootings did I miss? :allears:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

OldMemes posted:

Looks like SVU Season 13 is finally coming back to the UK, after being on the Christmas break for nearly three(!) months.

How many squad room shootings did I miss? :allears:

Hopefully at the end of the season the squad room gets blown up. I know it has happened before (in that one episode where someone delivers a pizza bomb to Olivia) but I just want a big explosion in the squad room. To kill a perp.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Actually L&O Philly/Camden could be interesting. Like either or, but the stuff frequently crosses over. Plus, I'm pretty sure with how crap the cities are, I think they're actually paying people to film there. (All I know is a friend of mine shot an "art film" in philly and didn't have to pay a dime for permits).

Or Law and Order: somalia?

\/\/ Canada would definitely be interesting.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 8, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I would be genuinely interested in a Law and Order: Canada set in like, Montreal or Vancouver. Or just for shits and giggles, somewhere stupidly ridiculous like Churchill, Manitoba.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
In the city of Moose Jaw, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups...

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Law & Order: SVU: Supernatural, a L&O series set in the Supernatural universe. L&O is already set in bizzaro world, they have to go all the way. In the first episode a demon possesses a judge who also happens to run a massive pedophile ring and they have to prove he was not possessed when he created the ring. Because he's possessed it's ruled that his demon can preside over the case.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 8, 2012

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I want a Law and Order: Boston personally.

"The victim is a Yankees fan from Western Connecticut."
"well, clearly this is an issue of self defense."

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Yaos posted:

Law & Order: SVU: Supernatural, a L&O series set in the Supernatural universe. L&O is already set in bizzaro world, they have to go all the way. In the first episode a demon possesses a judge who also happens to run a massive pedophile ring and they have to prove he was not possessed when he created the ring. Because he's possessed it's ruled that his demon can preside over the case.

Wasn't one of Ron Moore's post-BSG show ideas something like a supernatural police procedural . . . detectives investigating ghosts and poo poo, Tricia Helfer playing the team's M.E./necromancer, stuff like that?

I want a Law and Order that show . . . with Jack McCoy still being the DA.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

A Big Dark Yak posted:

I want a Law and Order that show . . . with Jack McCoy still being the DA.

Parallel universe Jack McCoy you mean. A corrupt weakling who kowtows to everyone and is tied by the constitution.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Parallel universe Jack McCoy you mean. A corrupt weakling who kowtows to everyone and is tied by the constitution.

And sells Robot Insurance.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

And sells Robot Insurance.

The shocking twist: The robots never come.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

Only if Real Jack McCoy comes in through a portal at some point. And one of them has a goatee I don't care which.

edit: Comes in through a portal on a motorcycle.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Only if Real Jack McCoy comes in through a portal at some point. And one of them has a goatee I don't care which.

edit: Comes in through a portal on a motorcycle.

No goatee, one wears a fedora, the other a Mets cap.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Writer Cath posted:

In the city of Moose Jaw, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups...

The mounties that investigate crime and the barristers that prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Yaos posted:

They can already use Munch who was in the X-Files universe.

I am kind of interested to see how Law and Order: Cape Town turns out (though a Johannesburg one would just be crazy and fun all at the same time).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Madkal posted:

They can already use Munch who was in the X-Files universe.

I am kind of interested to see how Law and Order: Cape Town turns out (though a Johannesburg one would just be crazy and fun all at the same time).

I can't help but see Law & Order: District 9 from that. Prawn lawyers in tattered suits, bail hearings negotiated via cans of cat food.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Writer Cath posted:

The police officer who investigates the crime and the guy who drives the van to take them to Regina to prosecute the offenders.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

No goatee, one wears a fedora, the other a Mets cap.

I always figured Jack to be a Mets fan. Always gunning for the underdog and whatnot. (fake E: he's a Sox fan that goes to every yankee game). Or a Cubs fan. Growing up in Chicago and whatnot.

So I'm catching up on this season of SVU, and while I'm disappointed at the lack of Munch (which is kinda expected considering that Belzer's been doing stand-up and isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore) I'm actually really liking the dynamic between the two new cops when they're partnered together. They play off each other really well.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sam Waterson is from Massachusetts, so that doesn't surprise me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Who is Sam Waterson?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

Who is Sam Waterson?

You know how Bruce Wayne is the cover of Batman? Same Waterson is the cover for John "Jack" McCoy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Sam Waterson is from Massachusetts, so that doesn't surprise me.

We hate the Mets too, but a little less then Bill Buckner.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

You know how Bruce Wayne is the cover of Batman? Same Waterson is the cover for John "Jack" McCoy.

Wow you actually made the typo worse on your second go!

On a totally different note I really like both the new detectives as well. Munch and Rollins I think would be cool, but Rollins and Ice-T is also a really good combo, I'm liking it a lot.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I thought that Diane Neal and Stephanie March were meant to be alternating as ADA this year? Cabot has appeared a lot this season, but Novak has been in hardly any episodes?

Oh well, it's still better than Sharon Stone's awful appearance. Or Greylek. I couldn't stand her smug know-it-all attitude.

Oh, and looks like SVU has been renewed for season 14! :neckbeard:

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 14, 2012

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Woo!

Watching one of the older episodes Clarie says: "What if that police officer [that was shot] was your father?"

I expected McCoy to say: "I would give her a reward."

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
If anyone's thinking about getting the complete Law and Order set, Amazon.ca have it for $260 CAD (63% off) for today only.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny watching an episode of Vanilla from 01 and look who it is, a young pre-American fame Idris Elba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Zaroff posted:

If anyone's thinking about getting the complete Law and Order set, Amazon.ca have it for $260 CAD (63% off) for today only.

Oh poo poo. I should really pay this bill. Its a week overdue already and I.. fuckit I can't resist it. Thanks for the tip! My housemate will loving hate you though.

Kinda surprised SVU got renewed but I have noticed the last couple of episodes veering back towards the batshit insane version of SVU so I guess it makes sense in a way.

• Locked thread