Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
As much as I love Briscoe-era re-runs, for some baffling reason, when Five USA shows old Law and Order in the evenings, they only ever show Carmichael-era episodes. Whenever the main Channel Five shows re-runs, its always Fontana episodes, and FX only ever shows seasons 1-9.

I guess that Law and Order re-runs are just wierd like that in the UK. The most recent series Channel 5 showed as "new" was Season 17 last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Robin Williams on SVU has been ridiculous, but reminds me how great he is at playing weirdos/villains.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
Is there any news on LOLA? I miss seeing Snydley K. Whiplash and Roadie as homicide detective and DA! :smith:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Is there any news on LOLA? I miss seeing Snydley K. Whiplash and Roadie as homicide detective and DA! :smith:

Looks like it's still cancelled. If you want a good police show similar to the original Law and Order, try Blue Bloods. Sure, it hardly ever shows trials, but it does have a similar, if slightly more modernised feel to the forumla.

Plus Donny Walhberg is great as the lead dectective, and Tom Selleck gives a consistently excellent perfomance as the police commisioner.

To be honest, Blue Bloods feels more like a successor to Law and Order than SVU seasons 7-12 ever did.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Parachute posted:

Robin Williams on SVU has been ridiculous, but reminds me how great he is at playing weirdos/villains.

You ever seen One Hour Photo? He could play creepy weirdos for the rest of his life and I'd be just fine with that.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

McSpanky posted:

You ever seen One Hour Photo? He could play creepy weirdos for the rest of his life and I'd be just fine with that.

I saw it in theaters, and this episode makes me want to watch it again!

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
What's up, "high school" aged Jim?

Hard to believe but after this run of CI I can claim I've seen every (domestic) episode of every Law and Order ever.

Edit: Also hard to believe that in this episode, the fact that two high school kids have iPods is a lead.

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 1, 2012

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons

OldMemes posted:

Looks like it's still cancelled. If you want a good police show similar to the original Law and Order, try Blue Bloods. Sure, it hardly ever shows trials, but it does have a similar, if slightly more modernised feel to the forumla.

Plus Donny Walhberg is great as the lead dectective, and Tom Selleck gives a consistently excellent perfomance as the police commisioner.

To be honest, Blue Bloods feels more like a successor to Law and Order than SVU seasons 7-12 ever did.
Yeah, but as a so-cal native, I got a real kick out of seeing the L&O 'verse in my backyard. I squealed when they mentioned Chino, kinda like how in Dragnet how every guy arrested was sent to the CIM :D

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Parachute posted:

I didn't Williams, I just hated his character. I think that was the first time SVU tried to write a character as a straight up comic book villain.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Have they ever given an in-story reason why Munch is absent so often? I understand that they have some scheduling issues with filming with Belzer, but the way that the show protrays it, it seems that Munch just doesn't show up to work for weeks at a time, and no-one ever questions it for some reason.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

OldMemes posted:

Have they ever given an in-story reason why Munch is absent so often? I understand that they have some scheduling issues with filming with Belzer, but the way that the show protrays it, it seems that Munch just doesn't show up to work for weeks at a time, and no-one ever questions it for some reason.
Munch goes undercover as a giant yellow dinosaur to catch perps in the act.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oftN-SlHOlk

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Remember that time that Munch went undercover as a crazy homeless person? Or when he went undercover to bust a sex offender running a travel agent, and his diguise was him not wearing his glasses? Undercover Munch is great.

Now that all the episodes of Law and Order: Legacies are out, did anyone play it all? What did you think of it?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I haven't played the last one yet, but they're pretty hit-or-miss. They're just thoroughly average detective games where you have to figure out if people are lying and whatnot. The voice acting isn't that great, and some of the soundalikes are awful (Jack and Van Buren mostly), but it's actually sorta fun. The Order part is much more fun than the Law part, since you actually have a barometer that shows you how you're doing in the trial as you successfully object for the right reasons and link testimony to evidence, etc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yaos posted:

Munch goes undercover as a giant yellow dinosaur to catch perps in the act.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oftN-SlHOlk

He spends those weeks visiting and pissing off Stanley Bolander

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So is SVU ever coming back to my TV, or what? There hasn't been a new episode since February, has there?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

So is SVU ever coming back to my TV, or what? There hasn't been a new episode since February, has there?

This Wednesday night, actually. It'll run uninterrupted through the season finale next month.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm going through Criminal Intent and every interrogation ends in a screaming confession. Another weird one is they are looking for evidence, and them somehow they figure out where the crime really took place, but the whole figuring it out part takes about 5 seconds on screen so if you sneeze or cough you'll have no idea how they managed to find some guy's torture lair.

Goren: I'm all out of leads.
Eames: *I sneeze*
*Suddenly they are in a room filled with bodies*

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Yaos posted:

I'm going through Criminal Intent and every interrogation ends in a screaming confession. Another weird one is they are looking for evidence, and them somehow they figure out where the crime really took place, but the whole figuring it out part takes about 5 seconds on screen so if you sneeze or cough you'll have no idea how they managed to find some guy's torture lair.

Goren: I'm all out of leads.
Eames: *I sneeze*
*Suddenly they are in a room filled with bodies*

Speaking of CI, since the last time I checked they added the tenth season to Netflix Instant. That's nice to see - I didn't want to end things on a weird Goldblum note.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Ratatozsk posted:

Speaking of CI, since the last time I checked they added the tenth season to Netflix Instant. That's nice to see - I didn't want to end things on a weird Goldblum note.

Worth it for the Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark 'ripped from the headlines' episode alone. (With Cynthia Nixon as not-Julie Taymor.)

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
It is a bit disappointing that CI changed their theme music. The original one was so much better.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Especially since the new theme (which was Trial by Jury's theme, right) has that awful/awesome MIDI brass section playing the melody - I felt like I was about to play a Windows 95 game.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Basically all of the 10th season of CI was amazing. D'Onofrio totally brought his A-game in making Goren as Goren-y as possible.

Timby posted:

This Wednesday night, actually. It'll run uninterrupted through the season finale next month.
Awesome, I'm actually liking this season, the last three years I couldn't have cared less if the show disappeared for two months.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ratatozsk posted:

It is a bit disappointing that CI changed their theme music. The original one was so much better.

For some reason, when Channel Five shows classic vanilla, they re-edit the opening, and replace the theme song with techno music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybYDgClD5Js

Briscoe, McCoy and a song from The Matrix soundtrack is a very :psyduck: combination.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Just started watching the new SVU episode. Overturning a conviction thanks to SCIENCE and new DNA technology? This might be a good one!!

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
I'm a bit confused about the scene in Warren's office. Is it implied that he has feelings for Benson or is she just vain like that? Also this episode gave me Damien Echols vibes. (probably the glasses)

What if I'm just really bad at watching SVU, you guys. I'm a failure as a woman. :ohdear:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Another amazing casting decision: on the DC sniper inspired episode of vanilla the man who brainwashed the teenager was Phil Dunphy.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Last episode was so very stupid. Was waiting for the twist with the lying woman that never happened, then it's implied that whatshisname's wife is cheating on him or something? Just cancel already. Between this and the "relationship" this season has been stomach-churningly bad in comparison to every other incarnation of L&O. I knew when that survey came out a while back with audiences looking for more drama with the detectives and less court scenes that we were in for a serious downturn.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NBCUniversal announced today that Mariska Hargitay has officially signed for a fourteenth season of SVU ... but the show itself is still on the bubble (it's been having all-time series low ratings for most of the season). We probably won't know anything until NBC announces its schedule around this time next month.

Frot Lesnar posted:

Another amazing casting decision: on the DC sniper inspired episode of vanilla the man who brainwashed the teenager was Phil Dunphy.

And the teenager was Sebastian Stan, most recently seen playing Bucky in Captain America.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Burned," the episode that started the whole rival DA candidate story arc, had a very young Sam Huntington (Jimmy Olsen in Superman Returns and Josh the werewolf on the US version of Being Human) as the schizo kid of killed his sister.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this? posted:

"Burned," the episode that started the whole rival DA candidate story arc, had a very young Sam Huntington (Jimmy Olsen in Superman Returns and Josh the werewolf on the US version of Being Human) as the schizo kid of killed his sister.

That episode was a treasure trove of stars: Michael O'Hare (who originated the role of Col. Jessup in the Broadway production of A Few Good Men, and starred as Sinclair in the first season of Babylon 5) as the divorced father of the kids, and then there was Robert "Napoleon Solo" Vaughn as the grandfather.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's nothing more awesome than watching Law & Order and playing "Name That Future Star". Rooney Mara played a sociopathic teenager, in what was probably great practice for playing Lisbeth.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I watch In Plain Sight religously and seeing Frank Weller in a 90's episode of Vanilla made me sad (because he was the killer)

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It's nice to see that they've started giving Rollins a bit more character development - it's just a shame that they waited so long in the season to do it though.

If season 14 can keep up the quality of this season (but with more court scenes and more Munch), it'll be pretty good. That, and it doesn't seem right for a franchise with over twenty years under its belt to just quietly fizzle out. Rubber Room did the "life goes on" thing well, but if the last US-based series is going, they should do something special for the last season/episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldMemes posted:

Rubber Room did the "life goes on" thing well

That will always be one of television's happiest accidents, since the episode was already in the can and Wolf had been promised Season 21 before NBC changed its mind at the last minute.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I still hold out hope that NBC will continue to crash and burn until they bring back Vanilla just because they know it will always have steady viewership. It is guaranteed to pull at least a 1.something, which is good numbers for NBC

It doesn't matter the cast, it's the formula that works. It'd be nice to see Sam Waterston return, but he can't live forever and will retire at some point (or, more likely, die acting), but really, the show managed to last through 9 changes of the cast on the "law" side and 9 changes of the cast on the "order" side, with 2 captains, and 4 DA's...cast means nothing, it's all about the formula.

\/\/\/ off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that the Kincaid/McCoy/Briscoe/Curtis cast was the longest lasting with like 3 seasons. Cause even though Briscoe and Green were partners for forever, they did go through Carmichael and Southerlyn as ADAs. (Possibly going back as far as Jamie Ross? Not 100% sure since Ross is my least favorite ADA and I tend to skip a lot of her episodes).

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 24, 2012

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

AA is for Quitters posted:

I still hold out hope that NBC will continue to crash and burn until they bring back Vanilla just because they know it will always have steady viewership. It is guaranteed to pull at least a 1.something, which is good numbers for NBC

It doesn't matter the cast, it's the formula that works. It'd be nice to see Sam Waterston return, but he can't live forever and will retire at some point (or, more likely, die acting), but really, the show managed to last through 9 changes of the cast on the "law" side and 9 changes of the cast on the "order" side, with 2 captains, and 4 DA's...cast means nothing, it's all about the formula.

The cast changes are some of the most refreshing things about the show, since it allowed very few people to get stale (though I suppose some might have, though that was just usually given who they were paired with, like Green/Lupo). Weren't there only about three or four seasons that didn't have a cast change?

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 23, 2012

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

USA is on the early season rotation now in it's mini marathons and it's kinda sad how far they got off the rails. Plots are still grounded in reality, Stabler is aggressive but still sympathetic, and the sub plots have consequences later on. Mariska is going through the motions. * sigh *

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tonight's SVU episode: With 100% more absurd plot devices and also 100% more Munch than the last few episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gonz posted:

Tonight's SVU episode: With 100% more absurd plot devices and also 100% more Munch than the last few episodes.

Then tomorrows Community is a law and order spoof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Tonight's episode is only 5 minutes in but I think this might just be the best episode ever. SVU vs. JLA (or Law and Order vs. "Superheroes").

• Locked thread