Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

sbaldrick posted:

No, it's so bad it caused me to create a new personal idea of pre-colonial nostalgia. Which is basically the idea that pre colonial societies weren't brutal Empires or states in their own right.

gently caress, really? It's in my unread pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020
Can anyone recommend a history of the Spanish empire? I'm specially interested in the Pacific Ocean - the Philippines, Manila galleons, trade with Asians and so on.

Also, I read Mann's 1491 and loved it and want to know more about pre-Columbian America. Good regional overviews are particularly welcome.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Global Disorder posted:

Can anyone recommend a history of the Spanish empire? I'm specially interested in the Pacific Ocean - the Philippines, Manila galleons, trade with Asians and so on.

Also, I read Mann's 1491 and loved it and want to know more about pre-Columbian America. Good regional overviews are particularly welcome.

If you haven't read it yet Mann's follow up to 1491, 1493, is about how contact with the Americas changed global trade patterns and although it isn't specifically about the Spanish it does have sections on their Asian trade that you would be interested in.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Global Disorder posted:

I haven't been able to find a book that focuses so solely on pre-Columbian America as Mann's does, but I have encountered a few good reads that have included as much pre-Columbian history as possible as part of their overview. I really enjoyed This Land is Their Land by David Silverman, which is a thorough history of the Wampanoag tribe up to the present day. Also you can get a mix of indigenous history and Spanish Empire with Kim MacQuarrie's Last Days of the Incas.

Also, seconding 1493 by Mann.

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

If you haven't read it yet Mann's follow up to 1491, 1493, is about how contact with the Americas changed global trade patterns and although it isn't specifically about the Spanish it does have sections on their Asian trade that you would be interested in.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I haven't been able to find a book that focuses so solely on pre-Columbian America as Mann's does, but I have encountered a few good reads that have included as much pre-Columbian history as possible as part of their overview. I really enjoyed This Land is Their Land by David Silverman, which is a thorough history of the Wampanoag tribe up to the present day. Also you can get a mix of indigenous history and Spanish Empire with Kim MacQuarrie's Last Days of the Incas.

Also, seconding 1493 by Mann.

Thanks for the suggestions, good goons! Will check them out ASAP.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Honestly, just use the bibliography of 1491 to get new books to read. Everything he lists there is much better than his book. And, though dated now, I'd just read "The Columbian Exchange" rather than 1493. I've read both of Mann's books but they're not great if you're already familiar with the topics.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Began listening to This Kind of War about the Korean War and it is fascinating. I didn’t have a clear picture of the early stages and the author makes it clear about why the North was able to make such progress and the initial American defense was poor.

The reports of South Korean troops having no anti-tank weapons whatsoever against T34s and trying to stop them with crowbars and grenades were terrible, just zero other options.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Began listening to This Kind of War about the Korean War and it is fascinating. I didn’t have a clear picture of the early stages and the author makes it clear about why the North was able to make such progress and the initial American defense was poor.

The reports of South Korean troops having no anti-tank weapons whatsoever against T34s and trying to stop them with crowbars and grenades were terrible, just zero other options.

I read that a while back and quite enjoyed it. But I would have liked to learn how intelligence on the North Koreans failed so disastrously that the US had no idea a tank army was coming.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I read that a while back and quite enjoyed it. But I would have liked to learn how intelligence on the North Koreans failed so disastrously that the US had no idea a tank army was coming.

They discounted the possibility entirely, because Korea "isnt tank country", iirc

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Any good books on the history of the Caucasus pre-Russian conquest?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OctaMurk posted:

They discounted the possibility entirely, because Korea "isnt tank country", iirc

That was probably peak "why do we need a conventional military we have all these nukes" too.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

OctaMurk posted:

“The Ardennes isn’t tank country” -the French, 1939.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I am currently going through The Fifth Sun: A New History of the Aztecs by Camille Townsend and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's drawing from all the newer research on the field as well as translated primary sources, and it's written well enough that somebody who knows absolutely nothing about the subject (me) can enjoy it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
This is probably too out there, but are there any texts out there dealing with the peculiarities of diet, customs, linguistics, and so on specific to navies during the age of sail besides the Royal Navy? This is something that has been fairly meticulously documented in English for the Royal Navy, perhaps thanks to the popularity of the Aubrey and Maturin novels (which created a whole cottage industry of exegeses for them), but my familiarity with similar material for e.g. the Dutch, French, Spanish, or even American navies is entirely based on the Royal Navy's perceptions of and commentary upon them.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

You can definitely get a reply in the A/T military history thread, but it might include "which languages do you read?"

Arbite posted:

Is there a good biography that focuses on Chiang Kai-Shek's time in Taiwan? All the ones I've looked at treat those 25 years as barely worth an epilogue.

The last third of Jay Taylor's The Generalissimo, about 200pp, is about his time in Taiwan.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anybody have any good recommendations on Vietnam after the Second Indochina War?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Anybody have any good recommendations on Vietnam after the Second Indochina War?

Red Brotherhood at War by Grant Evans and Kelvin Rowley is a pretty cool book about Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos and the Vietnam/Cambodia and Vietnam/China conflicts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Extremely wide net: any history audiobooks you've particularly enjoyed? I have a couple Audible credits kicking around to use and no real idea what to spend them on. I'm open to anything, preferably something pre-modern and not American (unless it's pre-Columbian). The longer the better, some unabridged 50 hour thing would be ideal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Grand Fromage posted:

Extremely wide net: any history audiobooks you've particularly enjoyed? I have a couple Audible credits kicking around to use and no real idea what to spend them on. I'm open to anything, preferably something pre-modern and not American (unless it's pre-Columbian). The longer the better, some unabridged 50 hour thing would be ideal.

This is really a great book
https://www.audible.com/pd/A-Splend...c3_lProduct_1_1

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's more about international trade than bankers but "A Splendid Exchange: How trade shaped the world" by William Bernstein is a pretty awesome book that covers trade (and also colonization, especially re: european chartered trade companies) from ancient Egypt to present and really focuses on how for much of the past 2000 years at least, India/the Indian ocean was the engine of world trade. He has some really neat historical anecdotes-one about barbers in mexico city in the 1600s asking the government for protection from immigrant Chinese barbers undercutting their prices springs to mind. The world has been smaller for longer than we often realize.

This is a very amusing and detailed book that might not be what you’re looking for, but I really enjoyed it, and should revisit it:
https://www.audible.com/pd/English-...h_c3_lProduct_1

He wrote a really excellent history of medicine “the greatest benefit to Mankind” which is sadly not on audible.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

This is probably less helpful than it could be, because I have no idea how it is as an audiobook (it was good as a book book), and it's not premodern, but Christopher Clark's "Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947" is a history, largely a social and political history of Prussia that's pretty good.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Grand Fromage posted:

I learned a lot from Postwar by Tony Judt, about Europe after WWII.

Recently finished On Desperate Ground: The Marines at The Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle by Hampton Sides. I didn’t know much about the Korean War before.

Downloaded
The Club: Johnson, Boswell, and the Friends Who Shaped an Age
by Leo Damrosch, that won lots of awards. Haven’t listened yet but amazon says:

quote:

In 1763, the painter Joshua Reynolds proposed to his friend Samuel Johnson that they invite a few friends to join them every Friday at the Turk’s Head Tavern in London to dine, drink, and talk until midnight. Eventually the group came to include among its members Edmund Burke, Adam Smith, Edward Gibbon, and James Boswell. It was known simply as “the Club.”

In this captivating book, Leo Damrosch brings alive a brilliant, competitive, and eccentric cast of characters. With the friendship of the “odd couple” Samuel Johnson and James Boswell at the heart of his narrative, Damrosch conjures up the precarious, exciting, and often brutal world of late eighteenth‑century Britain. This is the story of an extraordinary group of people whose ideas helped to shape their age, and our own.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I learned a lot from Postwar by Tony Judt, about Europe after WWII.

Recently finished On Desperate Ground: The Marines at The Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle by Hampton Sides. I didn’t know much about the Korean War before.

Downloaded
The Club: Johnson, Boswell, and the Friends Who Shaped an Age
by Leo Damrosch, that won lots of awards. Haven’t listened yet but amazon says:

If you're interested, the LRB reviewed the Damrosch book recently: https://lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v41/n19/thomas-keymer/at-least-that-was-the-idea

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Just finished Dominion: How the Christian Revolution Remade the World by Tom Holland. He goes though key events in the development of Christianity and Christendom and argues that the ideas that developed from said events led to Christian values becoming so ubiquitous to Western thought that we don't even consider them Christian anymore (IE when atheists condemn Christian institutions, they still do so from a framework of Christian morals).

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'll be visiting Palestine in a few months and am looking for a few books to provide context to the history and conflict there. A friend recommended "One Palestine, Complete" - is it any good? Are there other books that would be better reads? I'm not opposed to relatively thick histories as long as they're worth reading.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

What are some good books on the political, diplomatic, and military history of interwar Poland?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Epicurius posted:

This is probably less helpful than it could be, because I have no idea how it is as an audiobook (it was good as a book book), and it's not premodern, but Christopher Clark's "Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947" is a history, largely a social and political history of Prussia that's pretty good.

How much would it teach me about the other German states?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

FPyat posted:

How much would it teach me about the other German states?

It will teach you when Prussia conquered them.

There's actually quite a bit about Prussia's place in the Empire and relations with other states etc, but it definitely is a history of Prussia, not of pre-Germany Germany generally.

It's very good though.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

The Penguin Modern History of Vietnam is excellent. A lengthy portion on the 2nd Indo. War but equal weight to after the war up to the early 2000s. It's the best book on Modern Vietnam that doesn't just slip into the gravity well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It will teach you when Prussia conquered them.

There's actually quite a bit about Prussia's place in the Empire and relations with other states etc, but it definitely is a history of Prussia, not of pre-Germany Germany generally.

It's very good though.

I can second that it's an excellent book. The political history of Prussia is also a pretty solid lens to look at the modern german state through. It's become my go-to suggestion when someone asks for a single volume general history of Germany.

If you've got a major love of all things Bavarian it's not going to give you as much detail about what they're doing in the 18th century, but for a good entry point into the broad sweep of German history from before the reformation through the 20th century it really can't be beat.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The_Other posted:

Just finished Dominion: How the Christian Revolution Remade the World by Tom Holland. He goes though key events in the development of Christianity and Christendom and argues that the ideas that developed from said events led to Christian values becoming so ubiquitous to Western thought that we don't even consider them Christian anymore (IE when atheists condemn Christian institutions, they still do so from a framework of Christian morals).

Would you recommend it? I’ve greatly enjoyed Tom Holland’s other history works that I’ve read, and I love religious history, but I was a little leery about how the two would mix

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Would you recommend it? I’ve greatly enjoyed Tom Holland’s other history works that I’ve read, and I love religious history, but I was a little leery about how the two would mix

I would recommend it. This is the first book by Holland that I've read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like I said it is more about the development of Christian philosophy than a straight history of Christianity. Holland focuses on various points of Christian/European history to show how they influenced ideas that we might not think of as Christian (the abolition movement, the concept of human rights, the division of the religious and the secular, etc)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Holland has done some excellent work as a pop historian with ancient history with Rubicon and Persian Fire but his book on the rise of Islam was not at all well received by academics in the field so I’m a bit wary of how he’s addressed the rise and spread of Christianity.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grand Fromage posted:

Also tbh King Leopold's Ghost is one of the most depressing history books I can think of and it's normal to be bummed out after reading that. The Congo Free State is top level :yikes:

Yeah, I've considered it for BotM .ore than once when I was feeling perverse but never picked it for that reason.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Holland's books are pop-history but they are fun to read. As others have mentioned, the book on the rise of Islam was not well-received by scholars. The Christianity book seems to be published in two different versions depending on the market.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Only difference between the versions is the sub-title though isn't it? The American version has a title which puts a lot more stress on the book being a history of Christianity while other versions have titles that don't seem to declare that fact as much.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My adviser once described titles as "what the publisher inflicts on your manuscript in the hopes that it gets on the shelves of Borders."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Has anyone else read Bad Medicine by David Wootton? Hopefully someone more informed about the history of medicine than I am? I like the concept but he has such an axe to grind that I'm not sure if what I'm getting is more of a recitation or a polemic.

Otherwise, I was thinking of switching over to Every Man Will Do His Duty about the Royal Navy by Dean King so warn me off if that one sucks.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Minenfeld! posted:

Holland's books are pop-history but they are fun to read. As others have mentioned, the book on the rise of Islam was not well-received by scholars. The Christianity book seems to be published in two different versions depending on the market.

Sad to hear that about the Islam book. It's one of my next books in queue to read. I already read Rubicon, Dynasty and just finished a two weeks Persian Fire.

Like to thank whoever has recommended Absolute Monarchs at some point in this thread. 1/4 through and I'm enjoying it so far.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, weird request but I need something uplifting as I trudge through King Leopold's Ghost: are there any uplifting nonfiction books? I understand human history is a long train of people screwing each other over but surely there must be something cool to read about besides the space race.

This is an important idea. Here are some of my recommendations:

- Butter: A Rich History by Elaine Khosrova. This is the history of butter.
- Last Stand: George Bird Grinnell, the Battle to Save the Buffalo, and the Birth of the New West. We saved the American bison.
- The Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America: Hey look, national parks!
- Rightful Heritage: Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Land of America: Hey look, CCC!
- Mauve: How One Man Invented a Color That Changed the World. Basically, a history of artificial dye.
- The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, The Horse That Inspired a Nation: The horse that inspired a nation :qq:
- Grace Hopper and the Invention of the Information Age: Interesting if you are into 'puter stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

I read Rubicon a couple of years ago and it was mediocre. It felt flimsy despite the epicness of the history, it lacked the vocabulary to make the history more compelling and engaging. But people may have a different experience if they are unaware of the historical significance and the people involved and the general history. For it me, as someone who was keenly aware of all of that, it felt like a stale rehash, a waste of time. And turned me off to the author in general.