Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

CherryCola posted:

Does goth music count as indie? The goth collective I hang out with a lot, Obscura Undead, just put out a 30 track compilation of goth, darkwave, post-punk and deathrock tracks released in 2019. It's good as gently caress and pay what you want!

https://obscuraundead.bandcamp.com/album/unobscured-vol-1-comp-1-2019

Thanks, looking forward to checking this out. Do any of these bands have like a New-Wavey goth sound like The Birthday Massacre? I was actually about to ask for recommendations of that kind of baby-goth vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
NEW. HUM. ALBUM.

https://humband.bandcamp.com/album/inlet

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Modest Mouse thread derail continues. Album ranking. Full length studio only.

LCW
Long Drive
BNOS
M&A
WWD
Good News
everything else

My Modest Mouse Hot Take is that No One's First and You're Next is their best overall release ever.

As far as LPs go, I started with Good News and that's still my favorite but they're all good. Yes, even the newest one.

I've seen them more than any other band I think. Saw them open for REM in 2008, saw them at the Wellmont in 2010, at Governor's Ball in 2012, at Forest Hills with Brand New in 2014, at Prospect Park in 2015, and at Kings Theatre in 2018. The Wellmont show was probably my favorite, they did The Whale Song and it was amazing. I feel lucky as only the last show I saw wasn't fantastic. It wasn't a bad show at all, but Isaac had a cold during that part of the tour and it threw off the rhythm of some of the songs. He sounded okay but they kind of rushed through some of the songs.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

That is a thermonuclear take. Just listened to it again for the first time in years, and I enjoyed it, but would still put it below Good News on my list. Just out of curiosity - does it hold a special nostalgic meaning for you?

I don't think so, not in particular. I just think it's a rock solid release, no duds on the album and I've Got it All (Most) and The Whale Song are two of my favorite songs from them ever.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

That's dope.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
St Vincent & Olivia Rodrigo played SNL this year ergo rock is not dead. Unless they're not rock in which case just gently caress you for talking about genres at all it's meaningless.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

taco show posted:

Not sure I want to fan the flames of this rock is dead argument but here's Pitchfork's 31 Best Rock Albums of 2021 lol

Turnstile is my favorite off that list, though I love that Mdou Moctar album a lot too. I haven't heard of a lot of these bands at all either which makes me feel old

I did not listen to any of these but I did listen to the new Dinosaur Jr album and like all Dinosaur Jr albums it kicks rear end. Rock is not dead till J can't solo no more.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
You're Living All Over Me, Bug, Green Mind

Clouds Taste Metallic, The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty

Am I doing this right?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Dirty Boots, Tunic and Mote are better than anything on Sister or EVOL by a mile.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

I Love You Honeybear is a good album but I find FJM very pretentious and annoying otherwise.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Yeah but his other albums are boring as well as pretentious. Tedious even.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Venomous posted:

Gave up and Googled 'this is Rob Zombie speaking' to find that it was a Clash tune I'd never heard before that absolutely loving rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kluV2ieirr4

Complete Control is dope, it's off their first album, except the US and UK versions have different track lists and I think Complete Control is on one and not the other.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Holy poo poo it would be a dream to see that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Nihonniboku posted:

Amongst all of the concerts I've been to, I'd say that the only time I noticed that the performers were visibly drunk was when I saw Oasis. They were wasted out of their minds, incoherently rambling, and kept on making racist remarks about Asian people. We walked out in disgust.

I saw Echo & the Bunnymen at All Points West in 2009 and Ian was completely incoherent in between songs, between the accent and being for sure drunk as poo poo. When he was actually singing though? Crystal clear, just like the album.

That's how I remember it anyway but it's been 13 years at this point...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Kramdar posted:

When I met my wife (who really has no indie bands or UK performers on her radar) I saw she had a copy of M.I.A.'s Kala. And I was like "oh you like M.I.A". and she went into a rage and said she had never been so disappointed on being misled by one song compared to the rest of the songs on the album.

I did break it to her that it was the other way around and that the rest of the album was more in tune with her previous work, and that Paper Planes was really the outlier. I have been disappointed by a few stinker albums with a good lead off single, but boy did she have just pure unbridled anger over that one.

Your wife wasn't wrong, Paper Planes is the only good MIA song the rest of her catalogue suuuuuckkkks.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I might be the only person alive who still cares about physical media but Polyvinyl has pretty big sale going on right now: https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/store/garagesale

I wanna grab a bunch of CDs, there's so much to choose from, anyone see any must haves in there?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

captainOrbital posted:

Vinyl sales are big enough that artists are delaying releases due to huge production capacity issues.

Can't go wrong with Rosenstock. Can't go Wrongenstock. Wrogenrong

I did get the Jeff Rosenstock CD along with 32 others for just $101.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Man, that newish Father John Misty record is really boring.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

One of my favorite albums of all time. Fight Test was inspiration for my AIM away messages for all of high school.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

I'm only super familiar with You're Living All Over Me but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjF_EoqEhZc

rules.

Does anyone have a Dinosaur Jr cheat sheet?

Bug, Green Mind and Farm are my favorite albums, but the only albums I'd avoid to start with are Dinosaur, the rest of the 90s albums after Green Mind and maybe the most recent album, Sweep it into Space. For old Dino Jr before they reformed, the compilation Ear-Bleeding Country: The Best of Dinosaur Jr, looks pretty good but don't sleep on the albums from after they got back together, some of their strongest tracks are from this century.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Venomous posted:

idk, Where You Been is great

I mean, I think every album is pretty great but I don't know if any album is essential.

Where You Been does have a lot of bangers though, and my copy has the bonus tracks including Keeblin' which is a top 10 song for me.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
If you can't appreciate a Built to Spill jam your soul is weak.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Polo-Rican posted:

this approach seems to be working for the band because they're absurdly popular, but i dunno. i really wish they would slow down and release one REALLY GOOD album instead of ten thousand half-baked albums that each have a few cool moments and a lot of filler

Ah, the Guided by Voices approach.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rageaholic posted:

Saw Wilco tonight for the first time in 15 years. I was on the fence about whether or not I'd enjoy a Wilco show in 2022, but they opened with Misunderstood and I was loving sold. They put on a great show and played several songs I wanted to hear (I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, Via Chicago, Jesus Etc., Heavy Metal Drummer, Spiders, etc.)

Saw them in Prospect Park some years ago and hearing the solo to Impossible Germany live was a transcendent experience.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I don't know what thread this belongs in but The Cure are on tour in Europe and they've been playing new songs that sound really loving good! Maybe that album Robert's been promising for literal years will finally come out!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rageaholic posted:

Hell yeah, I hope they tour the US again! I last saw them in 2016 and they were incredible. I love 4:13 Dream but it would be real nice to hear another album from them.

2016 I went to 2/3 nights at MSG and it was the highlight of my concert going life. Will 100% go to any NYC area shows they book.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

The Modern Leper posted:

It's a very... consistent vibe, so your mileage may vary based on how into the songwriting you are in general. I think people see Fade into You as a direct predecessor to the modern "chill" soundscape, which has elevated the band's (really, the song's) legacy a bit.

Hope Sandoval also released a few albums after Mazzy Starr - I remember one had a little college radio moment around 2000-20001.

I really like the track she did with the Jesus & Mary Chain. Her voice is lovely but Mazzy Starr is like the opposite of dynamic in my experience.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Didn't like TBH&C overall but "Four out of Five" is a banger.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Saw Pavement like 10+ years ago at the Williamsburg Waterfront with Jenny Lewis opening for them(when she was doing her Jenny & Johnny project with her boyfriend at the time) and it was an excellent show.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Ambitious Spider posted:

Saw pavement earlier this month and they were good. Brought out Kurt vile for Loretta’s scars.

I’m not a big Kurt vile fan, but now I’ve seen pavement and yo la tengo bring him up on stage, so 90s indie bands must love him

I've seen him open for Dinosaur Jr so that's another piece of evidence.

Feel like I've seen him other times but I can't remember what shows.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGEiOgv86U

Today's The Lonesome Crowded West's 25th birthday

Trailer Trash and Bankrupt on Selling are two of my top MM songs of all time.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1600914083875885080

:vince:

And they aren't coming here together, gently caress

I am seeing Death Cab here in February, which I'm stoked about, but goddamn I'd love to see this

:swoon:Jenny Lewis will be there! :swoon:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
The album with So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings is really good.

I first heard Caroline Polachek on Fischerspooner's song "Togetherness". Good stuff.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

BigFactory posted:

I’ve never seen someone smoke as many cigarettes on stage as Kim deal.

I've seen Guided by Voices a few times and one of the guitar players just constantly had a cig in his mouth with a roadie to light it for him so he didn't have to stop playing.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

They had one decent album 20 years ago.

You're not exactly wrong but I'm still not happy about it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

T Bowl posted:

I saw The Cure again and man Robert Smith is still so loving good at 64.

It's loving wild how good they sound. The range of songs they play in a tour is crazy, the amount they play in a night is crazy, I have no idea how they have the stamina at their age.

Best band in the world!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Gone Fashing posted:

they're kind of boring and morose for sure. more of a mariah style Christmas music guy myself

I'm the opposite, Mariah makes me want to bash my head in but I love Sufjan's Christmas music.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
There's a new Slowdive album and I've only listened to 30 seconds of one song on twitter but it was dope.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Put Your Money on Me is one of my favorite Arcade Fire songs but I loathe the rest of that album. If anything has come out since then I haven't tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Reflektor fucks tho

Just double checked and I have all but 3 tracks as no-skips so yeah, it fucks.