Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

PonchAxis posted:

Just listened to Reign of Terror and while its not as good as their debut, its still pretty good. Hope they come to Austin for SXSW.
Came here for this very reason. It's still distinctly Sleigh Bells, but apart from the lead single (Born to Lose), there's nothing that's really grabbing me. The last album was loud and scared your parents, but you'd still find Rill Rill or Infinity Guitars stuck in your head, but I'm not seeing anything to latch onto here. It's a quick listen, so I've already made it through twice, but this might be a bit of a miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Ugh, you know what? I give up. Everyone I talk to in person is right - Deerhunter and The Dear Hunter are the same band. That's right, they're exactly the same and interchangeable in every way. I've just been trying to prank you, but you saw through it.

(Both are loving amazing - which really isn't a surprise when you consider they're the same band.)

And The Deer Hunter is a documentary about the band, yes

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can't even find a copy of the song on youtube, but will someone who is familiar with both Max Tundra and Merrill Garbus/tune-yards confirm this for me?

Max Tundra's Glycaemic Index Blues, from Parallax Error Beheads You...... that is Merrill Garbus before tune-yards isn't it? I mean, it loving HAS to be, right? I adore her, and I've never heard this Max Tundra album before, but I came out of my seat, because I am pretty sure that's her before she was on anyone's radar. Hope someone with that album can confirm, I don't know if I'm just finally losing it over here or what.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Lblitzer posted:

Ben definitely transposes his voice higher and lower through his albums. I'm not seeing his sister mentioned on the wiki page for "Parallax...", but she definitely did vocals on "Mastered by Guy at the Exchange" and they sound strikingly similar. You should definitely give that a listen if you haven't.
I think (know) you're right - god, it's striking how similar he or his sister sounds to Merrill Garbus there.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Lblitzer posted:

I have been listening to Cloud Nothing's "Attack on Memory" since I got off work this afternoon. Reminds me a bit of the east coast scene (Algernon Cadwalleder, Capn Jazz, etc) and a bit like Drive Like Jehu. Mix in a little bit Oxford Collapse and I'm loving this album a lot. Messy guitars, vocals, and "Wasted Days" goes off on a 8 bass line and guitar expedition. Seriously, give these guys a listen.
This is both a compliment and a knock, but 2 months in and that's probably album of the year so far. It's a really solid listen, and each song has something to offer, but, and this is no disrespect to Cloud Nothings, if that album is still in my top 8 or 10 in December, 2012's let me down.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
She is loving brilliant. I didn't even realize she had a lisp, to be honest. That just makes her even more endearing. The first track of the new album just grabs you immediately, and is still my favorite. It's like this strange companion to Bon Iver's Beth/Rest, in that "no, seriously, are you SURE this isn't a song from 1986?" vein, just coming from a different angle. It's like mall pop for hipsters. The first track is the best, and the rest of the album doesn't disappoint. It was good enough to make me pick her up previous album (Geidi Primes), but I've not gotten around to that, yet.

e: Ohhhhh, listening to "Be a Body" in headphones, yes, there is the lisp. Never noticed that before! Am I a 21st century male who cares only about her artistic ability? Yes. Does that make it any less adorable? Nope.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 2, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

Can anyone recommend any good beach/surf pop bands like Tennis, Best Coast, and Wavves? I'm really digging Cape Dory and am hoping there's more out there like them.
Hmm, would you put Beach House in this group? They have 3 very highly regarded albums, and their 4th is coming out, and people who have listened to the leak are putting it on the short list for album of the year.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The new Chromatics is good, but am I a jerk for admitting that I just don't think it's as good as everyone else? I think it's good, like, I'm glad I got it, but everyone else seems ready to put it on the album of the year shortlist, and I'm just not that in awe of it. (e: I can't quantify music for poo poo in text, so put a number on it, it's like an 8/10, I'm just not jaw-dropped by it.)

The new Spiritualized is getting such rave reviews that I am FINALLY going to dip into the back catalog. Their discography's been staring me in the face for years and there's always been time to get into it later, but now it's time to find out what's up.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 11, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Orillion posted:

Pretty much my thoughts. Taken separately, the songs are really good but i can't listen to the whole album, it's pretty monotonous in the end.
Oh boy, oh boy, then teehee, are you going to love this. I wanted to make this post 2 hours ago, but work's been hectic.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The new Chromatics is good, but am I a jerk for admitting that I just don't think it's as good as everyone else?
I wanted to formally and publicly apologize to Mt. Modular and Gio for the egregious lies contained in this statement. This album has thoroughly burrowed itself into my brain. I can't even put my finger on it, the tracks are so simple. Even the worst moment on the album (the voicemail), is good because you're counting down til it's over because you just know poo poo's gonna groove when it's over. I change my vote, it's not a meh 8, it's a strong, stroooong 8, touching on a 9. This is great.

I am, however, the only person left on the planet who hasn't checked out that Chairlift LP yet!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I was in a cafeteria yesterday, listening to the Chromatics, in awe of something so simple being so good, when I realized, oh hey, Mt. Modular loved it, and he's on my last.fm, let's see how many times he's listened to it.

Man, you have heard the hell out of this album!

And yes, yes, yes, yes, Birds of Paradise, that's a standout. Also, nods to A Matter of Time, Into the Black and There's a Light. Fantastic, one and all.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Knowing what Jason Pierce is going through, and that this may be the last Spiritualized release, is it inappropriate for me to want to cry through this entire album? This entire album plays like a man who is facing death but has come to terms with it in some sort of beautiful way that I never could. I want to listen to this album forever.

I pencilled the Grimes album in at #1 shortly after its release, and I don't know if it's leaving yet, but I am definitely reaching for the eraser.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Laminator posted:

Also forgot to mention it when it happened, and I'm not even sure if they belong in this thread, but I saw St. Vincent in May and she/they put on an awesome show (okay this was already said so just go back a few pages and read that instead). Annie Clark and, for whatever reason, Carrie Brownstein, ate at the restaurant we were at and I was kinda drunk so I managed to snag a pic with them, which was cool.
I'd love to see that picture - I have unrequited love for both of them, and everything they do is fantastic. St. Vincent and Wild Flag were big highlights of Coachella for me.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

doctor thodt posted:

First listen of the David Byrne/St. Vincent album: really great, but not at all what I expected. Lots of horns. Love it.
Nothing on the album quite lives up to "Who", but I don't think this is judged by the same rules as a solo effort. I want to hear each artist come through, and they do, and it's fun as poo poo. I love this.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah I'll second AC Newman's solo stuff, you really can't go wrong on The Slow Wonder, it's good song after good song.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I gave Kill for Love another listen after a couple months off, and yeah, still doesn't really do it for me either. The Neil Young cover to kick off is fine, my ears just don't find any of the songs all that remarkable.
I haven't heard it for a few months because I've been working on an absurd project with no practical application*, but in the interim its standing has actually risen in my mind. It will not be my album of the year. It will be an album I return to for years to come. So glad I was able to come around on that one.**

* - I am listening to every album I have. This sounds obvious, but think about those albums that you have, and, uh yeah I mean, I think I've heard Sonic Youth's Sister, I mean, I must have, right? I've heard this song and that song, surely I've heard the album. Well, if I can't explain an album or know beyond a doubt that I've listened to it, I must not have heard it. So, trying not to double back on any 2012 albums right now.

** - Ugh, I hate saying this, because it implies you will or should, too.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Davincie posted:

Half the bands talked about in here are fairly well known (Titus Andronicus for example) but I don't think anybody minds posting about them as long as they are actually good (see Titus Andronicus).
People should talk about whatever bands they want, but I do wish there was more talking about them. The thread tends to be a stream of people posting local band they just discovered one after another. I'd love for someone to post a band and for there to be actual replies and discussion about them. Rather than just a stream of advertisements.

I'll start.

Father John Misty. Love him. Every Man Needs a Companion the strongest track on the album. Your thoughts?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm too obtuse to catch the difference or how it changes the song!

The lyric "I never liked the name Joshua / I got tired of J" is amazing, and I love Now I'm Learning to Love the War, so harumph.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Don't register just to post poo poo.

That said, man, you loving love BUSY. Both of the pictures you posted and the song all have like 700 layers.

I skipped around the song a bit, but as the world's foremost practitioner of forming an opinion in 15 seconds, I'd say strip out all of the vocals and just let poo poo go glacial

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Mr. Tibbs posted:

So I've been waiting for Thanksgiving to be over before listening to this album. Started off with "Christmas Unicorn" as per your suggestions. That song is super awesome, and boy that Joy Division really came out of nowhere.
It's music, there aren't spoilers!

I've waited til after Christmas, too, just to keep from going crazy. I put on christmas music, but more and more of the playlist is Mr Stevens. I've got 2 discs of Vince Guaraldi, 1 of Oscar Peterson, 1 of comedy songs, and 10 of Sufjan. Dude's monopolizing my holiday cheer.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Glug_Glug posted:

Nice collection there.

I wish The Sleigh In The Moon was longer. It's a beautiful song but way to short. I also really like his cover of Let It Snow. It sounds almost creepy.
Yeah I could really go for a bit more Christmas music. Not some novelty version of Jingle Bells sung by a 5 year old, just, you know, music, that is about Christmas. This is my favorite holiday, and one of my favorite "yeah, this is where I want my life to be right now" moments is throwing on a little Christmas music, lighting a fire, and letting the tree and the fire (and the XBMC visualization) be the only light in the room.

Hell, suggestions? Are there Christmas compilations of indie pop bands that I don't know about?

e: Not. Zooey. Deschanel.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 30, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Great recommendations, all. Didn't mean to turn this into the recommendation thread but it seemed appropriate at that moment.

Oh hellllll no, especially since

What if I have no talent?
Even better! The more awful, the better. The best songs last year were the worst ones.

No hilarity for me, no sir!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Every year it's the same poo poo. You hear the albums you hear, you don't hear the albums you don't, but then the next year comes. Are you like me? Do you end up starting fresh every year and never really getting to a lot of the music you meant to check out? I do it every year.

This year I decided to address it. I've listened to everything I thought looked interesting. I'm blasting through my 2012 backlog now. Anything I missed the first time around - OFF!, TNGHT, Ty Segall, Deerhoof, Crystal Castles. It's all here, it's all getting heard. Winamp tells me I have 23 hours of unheard music from this year, so I'll make it easily.

Anyway this long and rambling post is really just a cover to tell you all something.

Man, this Chairlift LP is loving bomb as poo poo. This is my jam. Soooo good.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I got burned by new on the scene minimalist female composers when Holly Herndon's debut LP sent me into the fetal position, yearning for the simpler days of verses, choruses and discernible melodies. I've been aware of Torres for a minute now, will she make me regret the time investment?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Minority nothing, you're right, and that's enough.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Epi Lepi posted:

So Yuck's beginning recording on their second album soon which is cool. What's not cool is they're doing it without their frontman Daniel Blumberg, begging the question of whether it'll be worth listening to and whether they'll keep old songs in their live act.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/04/yuck-announces-departure-of-frontman-daniel-blumberg/

Anyone listened to his solo project Oupa? Is it any good? Is it anything like Yuck?
But how do you have Yuck without someone strumming their guitar with their head moodily cocked to the side?

I mean, I don't believe a band needs to break up if one person leaves, but he seemed pretty integral. I'd expect a pretty wild shift.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw Washed Out like...2 years ago? And they were just okay. I really dig the albums, but yeah, seeing 'em live is a pretty different experience than just listening to the albums, which I normally like when bands do that, but it didn't work out that well in this case. Thinking back on it, it was a pretty forgettable show.
I think, if my youtube exposure to their live sets is any indication, that they've come a long way. I remember seeing a version of Feel it All Around right as the song blew up that was just embarrassing. They did the same track (and others) on KEXP recently and it was really polished - just far enough from the studio version to hold your interest, but at the same time a more faithful and tuneful rendition.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That's Jeremy Dubs doing his Kim Deal impression.

I'll be flayed for this, because it's sacrilege against classic era Pixies, but I'd put this track in the top third of their songs, I like it that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This is going to be essential listening after the single comes out, so you might as well ground floor this one.

It's not terribly original, but man this girl can sing - the guitar tone is very Chromatics to me.

Ballet School - Heartbeat Overdrive

https://soundcloud.com/bella-union/ballet-school-heartbeat-overdrive

I enjoy the hell out of this song.