Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're not bad tracks, just unnecessary ones. The album is tighter and better focused without them, and starting with Keep The Car Running and ending on No Cars Go is more interesting thematically. I just think it makes the album stronger, not that they're bad tracks on their own.

Huh, this is actually pretty interesting. I've always been a Neon Bible fan, and do enjoy those two songs, but also can definitely see what you're saying about the benefits for taking them out. I might have to re-listen to the album again like that to see how it feels... thanks for the suggestion!

And yeah, I am a huge fan of AF, James Murphy/LCD and also Bowie - at this point, is there anyone that isn't? - and I've only listened to the new track once, but it was loving killer. Really gets me excited to hear the rest of the album, too, to see how their sound has evolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Man I never really dug into Fiona Apple’s catalog outside of the excellent Tidal until now. FTBC is amazing, but When The Pawn has easily become my favorite album of hers and up there as one of the classic albums of the past 30 years IMO. Hard recommend for anyone else like me that had been missing out

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Odd Mutant posted:

Say the full title. :colbert:

Discovered the full title for the first time the other day and was extremely pleased. Such a badass

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

I had no idea about this but based on your post I googled and found this: https://relix.com/articles/detail/my_page_of_montreals_kevin_barnes/
I thought he'd express regret at his 2007 statement of how "The thing is, I like capitalism. I think it's an interesting challenge. It's a system that rewards the imaginative and ambitious adults and punishes the lazy adults."
But nope. Kind of a dick, huh.

Huh? I mean the capitalism comment is obviously pretty bad, but he doesn’t like double down on it or say other stuff like that in the Relix article? I thought he came across as pretty reasonable and self aware, more than I would have expected tbh

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

A few months ago my wife mentioned that the guy from Modest Mouse sounds like Brak and now I can never unhear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJRQPkyWzdg

lol this is so good

Modest Mouse is probably one of my top 5 favorite bands ever. They were my absolute, clear favorite for many years back in high school and college, and I still LOVE their pre-Good News stuff although I don't listen to them quite as frequently anymore

My fav ~deep cut~ is definitely Broke, that held the #1 spot on my Audioscrobbler account for years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlqgijgd3d0

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Modest Mouse thread derail continues. Album ranking. Full length studio only.

LCW
Long Drive
BNOS
M&A
WWD
Good News
everything else

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah don't get me wrong I still enjoy Good News, but it's just not the same as their stuff up through M&A

Escobarbarian posted:

Conversations about Modest Mouse’s early stuff being better? Am I back in 2005?

gently caress it let's take it back to 2002!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfh5DNC2m6Y

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

New Dirty Projectors song is pretty great

https://youtu.be/FyU5dHmmFmE

Also their latest tiny desk at home performance is so good.

https://youtu.be/DSgJ_6sOBB8

I’m actually curious how they did this — is there a video chat app with low enough latency that they could actually perform live? Or did each person individually record their part and have them edited together?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

My Modest Mouse Hot Take is that No One's First and You're Next is their best overall release ever.

That is a thermonuclear take. Just listened to it again for the first time in years, and I enjoyed it, but would still put it below Good News on my list. Just out of curiosity - does it hold a special nostalgic meaning for you?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't think so, not in particular. I just think it's a rock solid release, no duds on the album and I've Got it All (Most) and The Whale Song are two of my favorite songs from them ever.

yeah no shade, it's solid. I've Got It All (Most) is the standout for me

I randomly decided to listen to Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle by Bill Callahan, which I'd tried a few times over the years but it never clicked. This time, some of it clicked! These two in particular are my favs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh1cEezN9_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HYDZo8xOCg

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

IMO Funeral, Neon Bible and Suburbs is among the best first 3 full length album releases in indie history

Other contenders:
Modest Mouse
LCD Soundsystem

Close but not quite:
Built to Spill (UAW not up to snuff)
Radiohead (PH not up to snuff)
Fiona Apple (too long a gap between WTP and EM, and also I think EM not up to snuff but honestly would need to listen more to really assess)
Phoenix (United not up to snuff)
TV on the Radio (DYBTB and DS both just a little too inconsistent)

This is just off the top of my head, who’s missing?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Nateron posted:

Interpol? Or is that more turn of the century dad rock?

I think they qualify, but I don't know if OLTA is up to snuff... honestly I don't think I've listened to it in probably over a decade so I can't really say

I was also thinking the Pixies could be on the list, but I don't really think of the Pixies as an indie band. I guess there's no reason why they wouldn't qualify, they just feel like proto-indie rock or something :shrug:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Cool I’ll have to revisit Purity Ring, only have listened to a couple songs of theirs with any regularity.

Others to consider:
Gorillaz. PB is cuspy for me, but I’m inclined to include them in the top tier

Royksopp. Maybe slightly different stylistically than the rest of the list but I feel like this band gets slept on these days

Others I had considered:
Pavement. I’m not a diehard fan so maybe I’m a lost cause, but to me WZ is not up to snuff

The Shins. WtNA not quite up to snuff

Beach House. Honestly haven’t listened to s/t more than once or twice and don’t remember much about it, but Devotion, Teen Dream and Bloom are excellent

Sunset Rubdown. Too much of a love hate relationship with this band for me

Paperback Writer posted:

this is very subjective but my personal indie trifectas also would include

Bright Eyes - Lifted/I’m Wide Awake/Digital Ash
Portugal. the Man - Satanic Satanists/American Ghetto/In The Mountains
Elliott Smith - Either/Or/XO/Figure 8

I’m asking for first 3 albums. Elliott has s/t and RC, neither quite up to snuff. Agreed your 3 is a perfect trifecta though

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Hello. I don't know where else to post this. The replies to this tweet are the best argument for nihilism I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/1358293851560177669

That is all.

I am not a PB fan but will probably listen to her a bit today just to spite the rear end in a top hat with the “why did this woman...” tweet

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m gonna stick up for Jack Antonoff for a second here. He’s not a bad producer at all, I just don’t like his output with Lana. He’s much better working for Lorde or Taylor Swift, and I generally enjoy most of what he’s put out as Bleachers.

There’s always someone that comes in to jack jack antonoff off

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I wouldn’t call The Bends bad at all, but also you can’t go wrong just starting with OK Computer

Also IMO watching them perform live is really impressive. Arena rock doesn’t always translate great to video but this is a really cool performance in a low key setting:

https://youtu.be/DWuAn6C8Mfc

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

He's not very insightful and he talks like a music industry cocaine elemental.

Lol

I occasionally watch Beato’s vids, usually more about theory or jazz, and like them well enough. But yeah this video really came across as guerilla marketing from Interscope to boost sales of Eilish’s new album in the boomer demographic

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

https://youtu.be/5w-UCzlgbMg

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

T Bowl posted:

Do you guys have any other examples of these artist you've liked but just kind of disappear? Someone mentioned The Go! Team right? I never got into them beyond hearing some random singles but I remember them being around.

https://twitter.com/conor_tripler/status/1372648992413155330?s=20

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Had never listened to Warpaint before, just a couple songs into their s/t right now but I'm digging it. Good poo poo

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

AcidCat posted:

And what, everything from Teen Dream on is on point. Bloom? Everything on Bloom.

Imo teen dream is a 10/10 indie rock album. Bloom is close. Depression cherry and 7 are very good but a tier below. Only listened to the new EP once so far but seems same tier as DC/7 to me. Beach house rules

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Big City Drinkin posted:

Mac Demarco sounds like Stewie

Lol

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Placebo is big enough to get top billing like that? Are they huge in Europe or something?

Their European fan base is pretty good, but their Japanese is better :grin:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

funeral, neon bible & suburbs are all great, among the best 3 album run of any indie rock band imo

other contenders:
- modest mouse long drive, lcw, m&a
- built to spill TNWWL, PFNO, KILAS
- anco feels, strawberry jam, mpp
- dirty projectors rise above, bitte orca, swing lo magellan
- beach house devotion, teen dream, bloom
- tame impala innerspeaker, lonerism, currents
- lcd s/t, SoS, this is happening

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Gone Fashing posted:

pavement slanted &enchanted, crooked rain, wowee zowee

Solid add

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Feel like Phoenix is cuspy. Never been like that and Wolfgang for sure. I’d probably give it to em for bankrupt over alphabetical, but def not as good as the other two

BigFactory posted:

Karate had four in a row - bed is in the ocean, unsolved, some boots, pockets. Flawless run.

Not sure if I’ve ever listened to them, will check out

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Glad no one has suggested the national…..

T Bowl posted:

Fleet Foxes imo every single release is nearly flawless.

haven’t listened to their 2nd album since it came out, didn’t hook me then but worth a revisit. S/t was great

Gone Fashing posted:

maybe a more controversial one but okkervil river - black sheep boy, the stage names, the standins

hard to come up with these honestly

Never got into em. Also never got into bright eyes. No idea if they sound alike but I always associate the two because everyone else likes em

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

I was gonna say The Mountain Goats had All Hail West Texas / Tallahassee / The Sunset Tree but then I realised I forgot We Shall All Be Healed was in there too, which is... Fine, but surrounded by some of their best work so maybe doesn't compare so well.

good call. i'm a big fan of WSABH, was his first album i ever heard, so would not ding them for that

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

yeah ive listened to new AF a couple times without giving it my full attention, and it hasn't grabbed me or stuck with me at all. going to give it another spin or two and try to pay more attention so maybe it'll grow on me. it did inspire me to go back and re-listen to reflektor for the first time since it came out and i'd forgotten how good 'here comes the night time' is

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

bows1 posted:

this is an older song but I'd never heard it before and now its on repeat. Perfect for the sunny weather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L7IdUqaZxo

Whole album is pretty good imo, check out Life Is Long, Home, My Big Nurse

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

They were actually rated correctly, dipshit

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The verse melody is very similar but everything else is different enough that it doesn’t sound plagiarized at all

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

funeral, neon bible & suburbs are all great, among the best 3 album run of any indie rock band imo

other contenders:
- modest mouse long drive, lcw, m&a
- built to spill TNWWL, PFNO, KILAS
- anco feels, strawberry jam, mpp
- dirty projectors rise above, bitte orca, swing lo magellan
- beach house devotion, teen dream, bloom
- tame impala innerspeaker, lonerism, currents
- lcd s/t, SoS, this is happening

Thought of another one, not rock but still under the broader indie umbrella. The Field FHWGS, Yesterday & Today, Looping State of Mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

They’re terrible

:blastu: