Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

TraderStav posted:

I clicked this thread expecting it to talk about AW, but it actually was about AW.

AW will now be known as AnWear. Frank Underwood would be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Exciting news!

It is pretty exciting. There may be a future for wearables.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So we have a separate Android Wear thread while everyone else talks here? This is gonna get confusing.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

So we have a separate Android Wear thread while everyone else talks here? This is gonna get confusing.

Yeah I'm confused

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
There is an Apple Watch thread already (more like the prediction/anticipation thread but now it's the main thread), a Pebble thread, and a Wearables thread, which had comprised of both fitness trackers, Android Wear, and everything in between. I made a separate thread just for Android Wear, which seemed apt given that there is already separate threads for every facet of Android (tablets, apps, phones). This thread would just be for fitness trackers and everything else...?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

eric posted:

It is pretty exciting. There may be a future for wearables.

I think you're understating it!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally a thread just for the Microsoft band! All 3 of us that own one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I'll clean up or clarify each threads purpose later.

edit: I guess there's not much to clear up. Apple Watch in the Apple Watch thread, Android Wear in the Android Wear thread, Pebble in the Pebble thread, everything else in here.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 18, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I didn't notice the apple watch announcement thread had changed titles. We may have to stop calling this thread relevant though :p

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I bought a MetaWatch on the meh sale a while back. Kinda cool! It's nice to have notifications and weather and music shuffling on my hand rather than on my phone.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bogart posted:

I bought a MetaWatch on the meh sale a while back. Kinda cool! It's nice to have notifications and weather and music shuffling on my hand rather than on my phone.

Yeah for a somewhat barebones oldschool smartwatch it's not bad. It's very comfortable and doesn't have any functional issues that I can tell. The downsides of no touchscreen, only a few notification options, etc are mitigated a lot by the price point. I like it because it can act as a bluetooth trusted device to keep my phone unlocked if I want to and it's cheaper than a keyfob that does the same thing and doesn't show me the time/weather/email/whatever.

I bought one because while I like the idea of a smart watch (I always wear a watch), the current mainstream ones are too expensive for what you get in my opinion. Having an inexpensive one that's not cutting edge lets me play with one and use it regularly even though it will probably be a couple of years until I look into a pricey mainstream smartwatch.

If you're a big nerd like me here's there resources for developers page: http://www.metawatch.org/developers/ It doesn't seem to have the community of a pebble but it was only $15.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 18, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rexxed posted:

Yeah for a somewhat barebones oldschool smartwatch it's not bad. It's very comfortable and doesn't have any functional issues that I can tell. The downsides of no touchscreen, only a few notification options, etc are mitigated a lot by the price point. I like it because it can act as a bluetooth trusted device to keep my phone unlocked if I want to and it's cheaper than a keyfob that does the same thing and doesn't show me the time/weather/email/whatever.

I bought one because while I like the idea of a smart watch (I always wear a watch), the current mainstream ones are too expensive for what you get in my opinion. Having an inexpensive one that's not cutting edge lets me play with one and use it regularly even though it will probably be a couple of years until I look into a pricey mainstream smartwatch.

If you're a big nerd like me here's there resources for developers page: http://www.metawatch.org/developers/ It doesn't seem to have the community of a pebble but it was only $15.

Where the hell are you seeing $15? Or is that a typo?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hooah posted:

Where the hell are you seeing $15? Or is that a typo?
No typo, there was a firesale on Meh.com recently.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I know the Microsoft band gets a lot of flack but I'm trying to decide whether or not to get one. I have a Windows Phone which is part of the reason I'm thinking about it, but I'm torn between it and the Fitbit Charge HR.

My biggest concern (and no one at the Microsoft Store has a solid answer to this) is whether or not the alarm function works based on tracking your sleep. I used to have this device called the Wake Mate many years ago and it was awesome, it would track my sleep and wake me up when it thought I was in light sleep (obviously no later than the alarm time I set) and it worked great. I think my old Jawbone Up did that too, though it doesn't work with Windows Phone so I've kind of abandoned it.

From what I've read (in the past five minutes) now I'm thinking that neither of these has an alarm function that works based on tracking where in your sleep cycle you are? And if they don't, what the hell device does? Other than a Jawbone since I really don't want to go back to my old iPhone 4S and I don't feel like springing for a new phone just to be able to use the Jawbone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have the MS Band and as far as I know it does not do anything like that.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I have the MS Band and as far as I know it does not do anything like that.

drat it. I really like the idea of it and how it works with Cortana and WP but I also really want something that will wake me during light sleep because I am not an easy person to wake up in the morning.

Have you used the alarm function on it to wake up at all? I may just get one see how it works without the light sleep thing, but I'm curious how good a job it does waking you up (and tracking your sleep for that matter).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ev posted:

I know the Microsoft band gets a lot of flack but I'm trying to decide whether or not to get one. I have a Windows Phone which is part of the reason I'm thinking about it, but I'm torn between it and the Fitbit Charge HR.

My biggest concern (and no one at the Microsoft Store has a solid answer to this) is whether or not the alarm function works based on tracking your sleep. I used to have this device called the Wake Mate many years ago and it was awesome, it would track my sleep and wake me up when it thought I was in light sleep (obviously no later than the alarm time I set) and it worked great. I think my old Jawbone Up did that too, though it doesn't work with Windows Phone so I've kind of abandoned it.

From what I've read (in the past five minutes) now I'm thinking that neither of these has an alarm function that works based on tracking where in your sleep cycle you are? And if they don't, what the hell device does? Other than a Jawbone since I really don't want to go back to my old iPhone 4S and I don't feel like springing for a new phone just to be able to use the Jawbone.

Your iPhone with the Sleep Cycle app will do it.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Your iPhone with the Sleep Cycle app will do it.

Is that the app that you run on the phone and then leave the phone under the mattress (or something like that)? I remember an app like that back when I used the iPhone but I'm sort of itching to get some kind of wearable and trying to use this as a justification for it.

If that drat Wake Mate company hadn't gone under I'd still be using that since the only thing wrong with it is their back-end was all online so without that, it doesn't do anything.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Things are looking up for wearables - the Apple Watch is predicted to ship 15 million units for 2015!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102602586

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ev posted:

drat it. I really like the idea of it and how it works with Cortana and WP but I also really want something that will wake me during light sleep because I am not an easy person to wake up in the morning.

Have you used the alarm function on it to wake up at all? I may just get one see how it works without the light sleep thing, but I'm curious how good a job it does waking you up (and tracking your sleep for that matter).

I have not used it to wake me up but I'm not 100% sure it could even do it. The vibrate isn't all that strong. I used to wear it to track my sleep but to be honest the band really isn't very comfortable to sleep with so I've started taking it off at night.

Also the rubber in the inside has started to bubble up which I've been told is a manufacturing issue so it should be resolved in the newer bands but who knows. I should be able to take my watch to an MS store and they would swap it but I've just been too busy to make it to a store.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Band talk:

Rubber bubbled and then split, leaving a small part of the metal uncovered. Swapped it out with no issue in-person at a Microsoft store.

The alarm vibration is more than enough to wake me, and as for comfort, it doesn't have to be super tight unless you're working out and don't want it to move. I typically have it a few notches looser during the day / at night compared to when I'm working out with it.

I did have problems with it being uncomfortable until I swapped my Small for a Medium. As with everything, all anecdotal, etc. I'm a WP holdout so the overall experience is well integrated and I'm happy with it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Google Announces Android Wear Update With WiFi Support, Always-On Apps, And More

quote:

It has been a while since Android Wear got any substantial updates, but today Google is announcing a big one.
A new version of Wear will be rolling out over the coming weeks that includes a number of previously rumoured features
(like WiFi support) and some all new stuff (like always-on apps).

And, directly from the Moto 360 blog:
Simpler, easier and more fun. In the next few weeks, an update is coming to Moto 360 equipped with fun few new features like Wi-Fi connectivity, new gestures and easy-to-draw emojis.

I'm going to be poo poo when it comes to drawing a recognisable emoji.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 21, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It's the same emoji recognition that's in this Android keyboard that Google added last week. It's surprisingly good at recognition. Draw a cat and get a cat! Draw a pile of poo poo and get a smiling turd!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.handwriting.ime&hl=en

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Am I the only one who didn't realize that the Moto 360 had WiFi? :cripes:

From looking at articles, it's been known since last year

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Things are looking up for wearables - the Apple Watch is predicted to ship 15 million units for 2015!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102602586

Best news all day! Thanks for sharing!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

JayKay posted:

Am I the only one who didn't realize that the Moto 360 had WiFi? :cripes:

From looking at articles, it's been known since last year
I didn't know either

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, with the wifi support, does anyone else think this could open up android wear to much more than just watches?

I mean, why couldn't you run wear on a desk clock and get notifications along with time? Extend wear a bit more and it could even make a pretty bitching alarm clock.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

bull3964 posted:

So, with the wifi support, does anyone else think this could open up android wear to much more than just watches?

I mean, why couldn't you run wear on a desk clock and get notifications along with time? Extend wear a bit more and it could even make a pretty bitching alarm clock.

I like this idea A LOT. Maybe we'll see some sort of off-shoot in the near future.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Except you don't wear a desk clock. A wall clock, maybe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

butt dickus posted:

Pfft, just rename 'Google Wear' to 'Google Where?' (the answer is EVERYWHERE.)

This could also basically do what the Amazon Echo does.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There is a separate android wear thread now boys. We're not supposed to get confused!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

butt dickus posted:

I bet if push came to shove, Flava Flav would be able to make the transition from wall to desk.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

Band talk:

Rubber bubbled and then split, leaving a small part of the metal uncovered. Swapped it out with no issue in-person at a Microsoft store.

The alarm vibration is more than enough to wake me, and as for comfort, it doesn't have to be super tight unless you're working out and don't want it to move. I typically have it a few notches looser during the day / at night compared to when I'm working out with it.

I did have problems with it being uncomfortable until I swapped my Small for a Medium. As with everything, all anecdotal, etc. I'm a WP holdout so the overall experience is well integrated and I'm happy with it.

I may give it a shot. I checked it out the Microsoft Store and the vibration certainly doesn't seem any weaker than the Jawbone Up was and it woke me up just fine. I guess worst-case I could just return it, but integration with WP is definitely a plus...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Samsung has filed for trademarks for "Gear W" and "Samsung Wheel UX". Sounds like some kind of round Tizen wearable?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I hope it's like the MacBook Wheel.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
edit: never mind I am an idiot

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 2, 2015

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Anyone have pics (from anywhere) of a size comparison between the Charge HR and Up2? I have an Up2, it's kind of getting on my nerves (software mostly, it eats up 30% of my iPhone's battery in the background every day). I really wanted an Up3 for all-day heart rate tracking, but that doesn't exist so I'm thinking Charge HR.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Anyone have pics (from anywhere) of a size comparison between the Charge HR and Up2? I have an Up2, it's kind of getting on my nerves (software mostly, it eats up 30% of my iPhone's battery in the background every day). I really wanted an Up3 for all-day heart rate tracking, but that doesn't exist so I'm thinking Charge HR.
Kind of a glam shot but I'd guess the Charge is just under twice as wide. Which still isn't really that wide imo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Has anyone here received their Apple Watch yet? I have some questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Has anyone here received their Apple Watch yet? I have some questions.
Try the Apple Watch thread.