Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Although I'm fully android for my phone and will not be switching back, I usually think apple has the better design choices. I honestly think the moto 360 is the best designed watch out there when it comes to the realistic watch faces you can put on it and the apple watch looks like complete garbage. The os looks hideous too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

My 360 is getting returned. No major issues, and battery is fine for me, I just don't love it and have better things to spend the $250 on. It would be the full $250 and I'll cover shipping (which is what Id get for the return). The watch itself is pristine. Is it worth throwing up an s-mart thread?

I was going to spend extra cash buying one because they're not in Canada yet. I'd gladly take it off your hands.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How are people outside of America getting the watches? I'm in Canada and people are selling them for over 400 but even still those have dried up.

I'm guessing it's a huge song and dance.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Apparently the new update helps with the battery.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

According to what?

Random people on reddit

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Imported the moto360 and gently caress me is it ever cool. Battery lasts all day too

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
In my opinion square watches look dumb with traditional watch faces.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yes but I was using the gently caress out of it as one tends to do the first day. I also need ambient mode. Luckily screen turning on seems pretty consistent, unlike my Gear Fit (45 degree angle for full screen, flat for ambient).

Ambient doesn't make sense because the time doesn't update

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Ambient mode with a watchface that updates weather kills my watch. Stock watchface I'm fine. I'm calling bs on your watch being able to do always on and last the day unless you're not taking about the 360. It kills mine in hours

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I do use a stock face (see above) which supposedly helps. I dunno why I would lie - the battery was super important to me and I didn't buy one until all the claims of the update fixing it.

So you can set it to always on (it never sleeps or dims) and get a day out of it?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Technogeek posted:

The screen in ambient mode can go black depending on the angle of the wrist. Basically, if the gyroscope thinks it might be visible to the wearer, it'll show the watchface; otherwise it says black.

Which means that if you're typing, for example, the screen stays on.

He said always on, which I take as the screen always being on. That rapes my battery.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I get all day battery with full brightness and always on screen.

You said it there. Listen, I'm not trying to be difficult, I just didn't understand how you could keep your watch face on all day and get great battery life. Yes, ambient can get all day battery life, but using the trick to keep your screen on the whole time kills your battery.

Also ambient doesn't update the time on certain faces. I've since reset my watch and am not going to bother using custom watchfaces or launchers until the new update releases and just stick to stock to see how the battery fairs. People on XDA are getting 2 days out of their watch with pure stock.

E: Swipify launcher is the name of the app that will allow your screen to stay on.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 13, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Three Olives has a G watch.

Annnd there we go. Confusion over. Happy Thanksgiving.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Rumor has it android wear 2.0 releases today

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I still can't get over square displays for watches. I really think rounds displays are the way to go in terms of making them look decent when you're out, whether its social or formal. Those things just stand out and look goofy.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm going to call a round watch face on the next gen of Apple watches. I'm not saying the square ones are worthless, but I just seriously think they're silly. Especially when you put a knock off watch face on it. Square isn't appealing. The moto 360 just looks loving swank. It needs to rid itself of the flat tire and get a retina display so the watch faces look even nicer.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Square analog watches go way back, like as far back as watches go, they are current now, expensive square watches, like current analog watches that costs tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A round LCD is unique, it stands out because round LCDs are rare and as such considered cutting edge tech but there isn't something inherently more watch like about them.

Put a standard analog watch face on a square then round watch. I bet most people would prefer the round. Also a square smart watch looks like a smart watch. A round one slips in a lot better.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

https://www.patek.com/contents/default/en/5940J_001.html
http://us.tagheuer.com/en/luxury-watches/monaco-watch

This argument is insane, you can say you think the G Watch and Apple watch are ugly, that you are personally more attracted to round watch faces as a fashion accessory but the just say they inharently are more watch like or look more high end in the context of analog watches is just not substantiated by the current or past high end watch market.

Case in point, ask someone to quickly sketch a clock. No one is drawing squares.

Anyways, I see where you're coming from Olives. I also think the Apple watch has the worst looking UI ever. Its so neon and black. At least Android wear is nicer on the eyes.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

That's a good looking face. I only really like analog, and have yet to find an aftermarket face that looks better than the "Classic" that comes on the 360. The classic face also has indicators for when my calendar appointments are which is pretty freakin sweet.

Classic is seriously awesome. Haven't found one other face to permanently switch to. Now it's really good because I can hide cards.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Len posted:

I got the 360 update but I have to wait for the watch to charge a bit before I can update :(

Sweeping cards down is too sweet.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Is it just me or is the voice recognition (text in particular) on the 360 not quite as good as on, say, my Droid MAXX, or am I doing it wrong?

On a lighter note, my facial recognition unlock doesn't recognize me when I'm sober.

For some reason the first few days I tried voice recognition it sucked.

Now I can send texts or set alarms for my break and not even look to see if it did it right.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Why would you shower with anything on you? That's so weird.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love being able to put my own picture up there on a watch face and customize the hands and numbers.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Uninstall Facer and get Watchmaker. Imports the same files but its much easier to use, uses less battery and you can customize really well. Some of the designs are amazing too.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sextro posted:

Has anyone delved into the privacy policies of the various fitness tracker devices and their apps? Maybe its a bit early to be asking this since the ecosystems are still just sprouting but I figure at least some of these companies are going to try and sell the data their devices capture.

Seriously though who cares?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Who cares about a device with location tracking capabilities, which can tie into your cell phone and possibly collect personal data (including access to text messages, call records, and email, depending on the device), and can potentially phone home to the manufacturer via that same cell phone? Some people, that's who. It's a legitimate concern, even if it isn't applicable to everyone.

I don't give a gently caress. If I did, I wouldn't own a smartphone because you know there's that chance. Especially when I'm using free services. I understand it's something that people worry about, but if Motorola or Apple knows I like shopping at Sam's Sex Shop for purple dildos and wants to sell that to the highest bidder then go nuts. In return, I'll most likely get targeted ads during my next inkling for a gag ball and that is worth it for me. I have nothing to hide, and if I do I'll not do it on social media or not on incognito mode. Take my cat photos too while you're at it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Takoluka posted:

What's wrong with the heart rate checker?

As someone who owns a moto 360 and will always recommend it, don't buy it for the heart rate sensor

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Well, I finally got my 360 setup the way I like it

IM MOWIN THE AIR RANDY

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The apps littletv and agif both let you do amazing things with gifs on your watch.

Edit

Check out this Reddit post where the guy shows off some and then there's other cool links to other .gifs in the comments

http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidWear/comments/2qrt81/ive_become_bored_of_all_the_facer_and_watchmaker/

This one is my favorite

http://i.imgur.com/joz3pKU.gif

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 4, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm the same way. Don't give a gently caress about fitness tracking as I can do that when I'm at the gym by myself. I also get a lot of cardio during the day so know my steps are always above what doctors recommend.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
What happened to the wearable technology that the guy from Black Eyed Peas brought out? He announced it a couple of months ago and I haven't heard anything of it since.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Didn't everyone that has touched it so far say it is the useless piece of poo poo that you would expect? Even the reviews of the Samsung watch phone, something from a company that arguably knows what they were doing said the concept is poo poo.

Yeah the verge said it was complete garbage. I'm just interested to see how much they charge for it and if anyone actually bought it

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Subterfrugal posted:

Has Microsoft done anything with the Band since its release? I really like my Band but for gently caress's sake its like they're trying to fail. Two months in and I still can't
-program my own custom workouts
-Track data on my Microsoft tablet (IOS and Android get Apps, but it seems even Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo about Metro Apps)
-Convince Band to track my Outlook account rather than my spamtrap gmail.

I like the Band itself so much that I'm considering getting a Windows phone to take advantage of Cortana integration. The biggest reason I'm hesitating is it seems like Microsoft instantly loses interest if their new whatever doesn't instantly cause Google to file for bankruptcy.

Also, why hasn't anyone built a Spritz based reader for wearables? It seems like a perfect fit.

Please do not buy a windows phone dude.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

It's not the battery life, it's that it performs like hot garbage.

I have the 360 and it does not perform like hot garbage. It could be a bit snappier on some animations but I really don't think it impedes the use of the watch at all.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

Compared to every other Wear device on the market it is noticeably laggy/jerky. People often comment on it when I demo it. I still love mine and you're right that it isn't a big problem in daily use but it's still there and I do notice it and that's a bit lame so I'd like to see them fix it next time. Using a four year old chip that you have lying around from a previous failed product in your flagship wearable is a bit of a joke, let's be honest. The battery life is also worse than comparable devices and it'd be nice to get another few hours from it in Ambient mode but personally I can live with it how it is.

The 360 feels like a first-gen product. And I bought it knowing that it had these flaws, so that's fine. Make it what it should have been and I'll replace it in a heartbeat.

Again. It's not hot garbage. Battery life is a full day and sure, it'll get better. But its a great watch man.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
To add, I have a 360 and always get all day battery life. I just hope android wear gets updated more because apple watch is going to put some serious competition their way. In a way that's good because it's kind of a slow burn and I know there's more functionality they could put in.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I agree no one knows what a Moto 360 is but anyone I show it to thinks its amazing. On top of that, I think its cool and does everything I want it to do so I'm very happy with my purchase.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

That's what I'm on. I was in meetings all day and aside from using GPS (which owns bones, need Waze support thanks) a few times didn't use it much. Hoping it's an anomaly because that's terrible battery life. Did any day one models have bad batteries and Costco scooped them up?

Give it a few days. Light to medium use and I get home 7am-7pm with around 40% consistently

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Not sure how they would make it compatible since it's Android Wear. I guess they could make their own OS on it, but I think the hardware limits the options for compatibility. Your only option for a similar round watch that is cross platform is the Alcatel OneTouch and its pretty terrible at even being a watch, or so I've read. Also doesn't look really good in general.

I'm more interested in what the team up between google, intel and tag results in, but I don't think we'll see much on that until later this year.

Theres talks of Google bringing aw too ios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

So we have a separate Android Wear thread while everyone else talks here? This is gonna get confusing.

Yeah I'm confused