Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rexxed posted:

Fitbit is giving Pebbles a 6 month services extension and offering $50 off an Ionic if you own a Pebble. Seems like a bad deal but at least they detail what will happen to Pebbles after they shut services down.
https://dev.fitbit.com/blog/2018-01-24-pebble-support/

I've been pretty happy with my Ionic, it's worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I've been pretty happy with my Ionic, but there's new stuff for the Versa that isn't available for the Ionic yet (in terms of faces, etc) which is horse poo poo.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Which is kinda crazy, because that’s exactly how they shipped the Ionic too, it got way more usable when version 2 of the software came out.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

azurite posted:

Who's yelling at their wrist? Basic features that were promised "on the box" aren't working for a large number of people, myself included.

I'm glad you're happy with yours. I'm on the fence about returning mine, which is something I rarely do.

Edit: Wrist just buzzed. It wants me to know about a bunch of old notifications I've already dismissed, I guess.

Notifications are one thing I’ve never had any problems with in the Ionic (with the dumb limits on iOS anyway)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

Is there a Fitbit app that will allow me to program workouts? I want to display the name and quantity of my next exercise and automatically count my rest but not reps (they're all terrible at that). I tried Garmin a year ago and it was trash, especially for a company with their resources.

Until such an app exists or I can write one I'll be swapping batteries in my Band 2.

I assume that thing is more tape than band at this point? I really wish Microsoft had kept the band going, it was pretty much the perfect device for me :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

64bit_Dophins posted:

Are there any rumors about the future of Android wear?

Is it another abandoned google project?

Also anyone have any experience with the lower in garmin or casio smart watches?

Probably worth waiting until September to see what comes of this:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/07/qualcomm-teases-september-10th-smartwatch-event/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

shrike82 posted:

Is there any watch or device smaller than an iPhone that plays Spotify?

Like streaming or just downloading music to play offline? The Samsung Gear line can I believe do offline downloads, and there's this thing: https://bemighty.com/products/mighty

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

codo27 posted:

My buddy's wife was telling me how her fitbit recently fell to pieces, literally while on a trip. Is everything they make junk, or just pointless?

They’ve managed to introduce a terrible flaw into almost every one of their devices (it’s a different one every time to be fair).

I still keep buying them though, so I guess jokes on me. At least I waited on the Ionic until they put out the first big software update.

I want something that is cross platform and not terrible.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Phosphine posted:

With jawbone gone, it seems difficult to find any activity bracelets that are JUST bracelets. I don't want notifications, displays, or any form of bulk really. I already always wear a watch, so something as discrete as possible for my right wrist would be nice. Are there any new ones around that are similar to the jawbone up 24? Preferably that can pair with my android phone, without wasting battery on vibrating

Fitbit flex 2 too bulky?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Space Fish posted:

I was at work and the weather looked vaguely gloomy so I hit the weather app and... it needed to sync again? So I pulled out my phone to sync and the Versa... was still weather-blind? As if it needed to connect to wifi on its own?

Holy poo poo, even the Pace knows well enough to store a week's worth of weather forecasts, and transmits data through Bluetooth for ease + efficiency.

Returning the Versa at my earliest convenience, what a failed experiment.

Edit: ooh, Bip 2 coming this summer, I'll hold out til then.

I've never had good luck with the fitbit apps themselves, the watch face weather displays are usually better. Fitbit is good at activity and sleep tracking, not so good as a smartwatch.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I've never really had any syncing issues, Fitbit just seems to make stuff that dies shortly after the warranty is up and always manages to include some terrible flaw in every new product they release.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Google keeps making Bluetooth terrible for everyone.

Just wait until they buy Fitbit 😬

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

How the hell do apps on the Samsung watches work (particularly with iOS)? I see there’s an Outlook app now for the Samsung watches, does that only work with Android? Is the watch pulling data through the phones data connection, or are phone apps just pushing data to the phone or something?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

My vivoactive 3's Bluetooth radio, gps and step counter have all stopped working at the same time. It'll still boot and tell the time, but is essentially a dumb watch

Did this after only two years of ownership. Really unimpressed.

What's the new hotness for smart watches?

Do you want a fitness tracker that’s also a mediocre smartwatch or a smartwatch that’s also a mediocre fitness tracker?

Things seem a bit up in their air at the moment, but mainly the answer to what you’re asking depends on whether you’re using an iPhone or Android phone.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

IMJack posted:

Is there a good fitness tracker that's not a wristwatch? My Fitbit Flex 2 died on me, and Fitbit discontinued the model. Given the choice I'd like something I could wear on my shoulder or ankle, like the old BodyBugg.

You can get 3rd party clips that convert the Fitbit Inspire to that format. I'm not sure if there's any impact on accuracy, etc.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

If anyone is wondering fitbit’s coronavirus policy seems to be just to bin whatever has been returned and to offer you a new one no questions asked, didn’t even need to send back the box. Returned one versa with a shite battery to Amazon after a day, next one had good battery for 11 months then got insanely hot while underwater and died

That's good, because at 12 months and 1 day their policy is "lol here's a coupon, buy a new one"

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

There's not really any perfect answer at the moment.

Presumably Garmin will make efforts to avoid future such disruptions and there's uncertainty around the future of Fitbit with the Google acquisition. Anecdotally I think many people have similar experiences around the reliability of Fitbit hardware, but I think for most folks so far the backend software and platform independence has outweighed that.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does the pulseox on the Instinct Solar give better data for sleep tracking at all? I don't care so much about the solar part, but pulseox is the other significant difference between the standard Instinct and the Solar (and Instinct is half the price).

Sleep tracking also seemed to be something people did say was not great on the Instincts.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

codo27 posted:

Whats a good sensibly priced Samsung watch now? I'm on the fence as I cant say how disappointed I am with this S20 but whatever, my current watch is about to die I think.

Assuming you like the look, Active Watch 2 supposedly has all the same sensors and will get the Galaxy Watch 3 features here soon, that would be my recommendation.

Galaxy Watch 3 has started see some discounts already but still seems overpriced.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 got OS update to Tizen 5.5 and the ECG feature unlocked finally in the US:

https://www.sammobile.com/news/updates-ecg-galaxy-watch-3-usa-tizen-5-5-active-2/

Also:

VO2max readings, advanced running analysis, the long-awaited Fall Detection feature, better notifications, and AR Emoji/Bitmoji support.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does this require an update of the watch? I'm not seeing the ability to do this on mine.

Yes, there's a big software update on the watch and a new Samsung Health Monitor app on both watch/phone for the ECG piece. It's also limited to Samsung phones for some reason.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 24, 2020

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

My wife wants something like a Fitbit Charge. Are there any decent but cheaper options?

She uses an iPhone, if that makes any difference.

If you can wait a bit Fitbits generally have pretty good holiday sales. I think Fitbit still does have the best app/service of the 3rd party fitness trackers.

Does she care where the data from it goes (into Apple health vs weird 3rd party app, etc)? There's a range of cheap janky options but Samsung fit 2 might also be worth looking at, it syncs to Samsung health but can also sync to Apple health: https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearables/smart-fitness-bands/galaxy-fit2-black-sm-r220nzkaxar/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Switching to an iPhone cut the battery lifetime of my Galaxy Watch to nearly half of what it was with a Galaxy S10. Before it could last up to 3 days from 100% to 20-25%, now it's like 1.5 days. Guess Imma get an Apple Watch if this one breaks, if battery life is on par.

I’m still getting about 2 days on GWA2 on an iPhone. I think daily Apple Watch charging will drive me crazy, maybe I’ll pick up a cheap Fitbit or Garmin on sale over the holidays since the app situation is equally abysmal on both Samsung and Fitbit.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Vahtooch posted:

So I'm in the market for a new watch and everything right now is just sorta... Meh.

I've currently got a Gear Sport, which is still mostly fine but definitely getting very inaccurate with everything. The new Samsung Watch3 and Active 2 both look pretty fun, but I'm seeing a whole heap of stuff that most of the good health features are now locked behind a Samsung phone?

Originally I had planned to jump over to a Versa 3, but reviews all seem to say that it's fine but they're a bit disappointed with it, plus it doesn't look great. Compared to say, the Oppo watch which seems to be the best wearOS device atm despite having bad battery life.

What sort of experience do people have with any of these? I mostly want a good exercise/sleep tracker as I'm a big swimmer, but also want ok Smart watch stuff hence going Samsung before.

I used an Active Watch 2 for a while, the hardware was nice (minus the stuff getting locked behind the samsung phone requirement), but I really found the software/service backend to be pretty basic and lacking (and didn't love charging every 1-2 days). Contemplated getting a Versa 3 with the holiday sales (had previously been using a Fitbit forever) but ended up jumping over to a Garmin.

Fitbit seems to really want folks to sign up for their premium service offering and I'm curious to see what the future looks like for them (WearOS is probably in the same boat). Every fitbit device I've owned has died around month 13-14 too with the exception of my old charge 2 which refuses to die.

Garmin has a confusing array of models but the fitness features are great, I get roughly 2 weeks of battery life on my instinct and it does all the smartwatch stuff that I really ultimately care about. The Samsung watches seemed like all the nice hardware was wasted on really bad apps/ecosystem.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Huh, I sold my Galaxy Watch Active 2 and moved to a garmin a few months ago but never got either of those.

Inactivity alerts you should be able to turn off via Samsung Health and I believe you should also be able to turn off the automatic cycling detection:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083510/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I’m using a Garmin Instinct after being saddened after years of lovely Fitbit hardware dying after 13 months (except my Charge 2, that thing refuses to die). I really like the Garmin hardware, great for my tracking activities but holy hell is the sleep tracking awful. Was looking at sleep last night and it was like 2 hours longer than I was actually asleep for and marked an hour of me being awake as “REM sleep”.

Does the Garmin sleep tracking get any better on their newer hardware with more sensors? The Fitbit stuff was miles ahead of Garmin on this, heck my old Microsoft Band was better.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone gotten their Ionic refund payment yet? I sent mine back about a month ago.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

Has Garmin stopped with the Vivoactive line? The 4 was released in 2019.

There was some rumory discussion about a new Vivoactive coming sometime in 2022 usually seems like every 2-3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Debating between a FR255 and an Apple Watch 8. I'm pretty committed to iOS, but after borrowing my brother's S6 for a week I was a little put off by its charging cadence and the lack of a specific apps/functions that sold me on an Apple Watch.

As different as the two products are in intention, I was wondering if anyone here could speak to what they really like about Garmins, especially if you switched from an Apple Watch (and especially especially if you could talk about what pain points/missed things from being entirely in the Apple Ecosystem)

I switched from a Garmin to Apple Watch series 7 when they got super discounted. One thing charging wise is that Series 7/8 have fast charging, I charge mine while getting ready in the morning and it's gets back up to 100% relatively quickly although obviously doesn't compare to the 6-7 day battery life I was getting on the Garmin.

I honestly still haven't found a super compelling "smart watch app" use case but so far the Apple Watch does everything better than the Garmin (sensors, sleep tracking, interacting with notifications, apple health/phone apps are WAY better than the Garmin apps, although iOS 16 does give you more access to the health ecosystem even if you're using a garmin).