Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
God, watching all these reviews of the Band I see much too much of horrible arms and gross fingers and chewed nails. Small skinny child wrists, huge flabby potato wrists, callouses, hangnails, cuticles. Too close, a watershed in internet grossness.

That said I've ordered a Band - I hope it's not too clunky! I already have a watch on my left wrist, and bangles and such on my right. The right will get annoying while using a mouse but that's not really the sporty effort this thing is expecting so yes who knows.

Looking forward to tracking my sleep patterns and heart rate as I wake up screaming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Subterfrugal posted:

The Band doesn't have a Windows 8.1 metro app. That is dumb.

Also free 2 day shipping loses its luster when they don't ship the thing for 3 days. I doubt that my Band is headed out this weekend.

Yeah, ordering first thing on Thursday morning and not delivered until Monday? Launches need to be more immediate.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So far:

The Bad:
> It is bulky but not terribly so; I wear it on the same side as a watch (inside of wrist) which got annoying with a elastic sleeve jacket but fine with a loose sleeve coat;
> The screen is flat, the general shape is square. Your wrist is neither;
> The sizing charts are off - I'm snug while bottomed out on the L, I'd prefer the M to get a little more snug while running;
> The screen is a tad unresponsive with phantom presses and ignoring swipes;
> There's a 0h0m sleep cycle I accidentally put in there which crashes the Microsoft Health app and can't be deleted;
> The colour screen is unnecessary and too small. B&W looks best anyway;
> No music control beyond Cortana commands;
> The app is a little playschool on phablets;
> The clasp in on the outside with the screen on the inside of your wrist. This is stupid and looks stupid;
> Unless you're next to your phone 24/7 notifications and messages don't "catch up" when you're back in bluetooth range. There are gaps;
> The alarms don't work when the sleep tracker's on. Unless I'm doing something wrong?
> Touchscreen loses sensitivity with sweaty fingers.
> Easily scratchable (plastic?) screen
> The band texture is too sticky, gets tangled in coat linings
> Dismissing an alarm on the Band will not stop your phone across the room from beeping

The Good:
> Check notifications without fishing in your pocket! I have a 1520 so doubly so;
> Talk txt mssgs into your wrist;
> Fairly unobtrusive for an always on device. Not invisible, not a burden (except with the wrong jacket see above), closer to the invisible end of the spectrum;
> Fitness stuff I guess (I haven't been to the gym since yesterday's delivery);
> I know I woke up 7 times last night, slept for 5.5hrs;

Overall: a good companion to phablets, possible health benefits beyond curiosity. A little rudimentary and Beta so far, though I like where it's going.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 6, 2014

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

So far:

The Bad:
> It is bulky but not terribly so; I wear it on the same side as a watch (inside of wrist) which got annoying with a elastic sleeve jacket but fine with a loose sleeve coat;
> The screen is flat, the general shape is square. Your wrist is neither;
> The sizing charts are off - I'm snug while bottomed out on the L, I'd prefer the M to get a little more snug while running;
> The screen is a tad unresponsive with phantom presses and ignoring swipes;
> There's a 0h0m sleep cycle I accidentally put in there which crashes the Microsoft Health app and can't be deleted;
> The colour screen is unnecessary and too small. B&W looks best anyway;
> No music control beyond Cortana commands;
> The app is a little playschool on phablets;
> The clasp in on the outside with the screen on the inside of your wrist. This is stupid and looks stupid;
> Unless you're next to your phone 24/7 notifications and messages don't "catch up" when you're back in bluetooth range. There are gaps;

The Good:
> Check notifications without fishing in your pocket! I have a 1520 so doubly so;
> Talk txt mssgs into your wrist;
> Fairly unobtrusive for an always on device. Not invisible, not a burden (except with the wrong jacket see above), closer to the invisible end of the spectrum;
> Fitness stuff I guess (I haven't been to the gym since yesterday's delivery);
> I know I woke up 7 times last night, slept for 5.5hrs;

Overall: a good companion to phablets, possible health benefits beyond curiosity. A little rudimentary and Beta so far, though I like where it's going.

To add:

The Bad
> The band texture is too sticky, gets tangled in coat linings
> Dismissing an alarm on the Band will not stop your phone across the room from beeping

I don't have any flights coming up but Cortana is loving awesome at collating the useful information on travel. Has anyone seen how this integrates with the Band notifications?

EDIT: it integrates poorly. No notifications seem to come through in a timely manner, only after the fact.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 6, 2014

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Swipe right on the main screen for battery, BT, and a heart.

Which size did you get? Did you size off the helpful graphic or try in person?

I need to replace mine with an M for the workout-snugness. Not sure how to do it while they're all out of stock and from judging from the just 2 days of wear and tear it's going to be destroyed by the end of the 30 day period. Do I just not use it? Anyone have experience with MS returns? Can I take back a clearly used item?

EDIT: the alarms don't work when the sleep tracker's on. Unless I'm doing something wrong?
EDIT EDIT: touchscreen loses sensitivity with sweaty fingers.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 6, 2014

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-band-review-tracks-your-every-move-then-bre-1656011848

Gizmodod is p spot on. Choice Quotes!

"But there's also the Microsoft Band's big chicken-and-egg problem: it doesn't have the data to deliver those advertised "actionable" insights. "Restful sleep" is a great example. On one particularly bad night, I was alarmed to learn that I'd only gotten two hours of restful sleep. But on considering it I really had no idea what to make of that number. I slept for seven hours, and according to the app, this sleep was mostly motionless. Was that restful number high or low? Microsoft Health didn't offer me much I could do with that information."

"Overall, though, the notifications need work. I tried adding the Notification Center tile to pull everything from my phone, and it was a total disaster. I got a buzz on my wrist every time the GPS set my location and every time new Wi-Fi networks were in range. As for texts, it was handy to have them on my wrist, but unread counts didn't sync between my phone and the Band, so you have to clear them twice. Twitter also gave me problems: It was great to get my @replies, but whenever I sent a tweet from my phone, the Band would buzz and notify me that the tweet was sending. Why?"

"Cortana voice assistant integration. Boy, was it was slow. So slow. Dictating a simple text message to one of our colleagues took 30 seconds to parse. Which maybe doesn't matter if you're on the go, and you're letting the processing happen in the background. But it's not the blazing fast response that Google Now delivers on Android Wear devices."

These are all spot on and the least I want from Microsofot holisticism is to work in the areas implemented. Talking txts into the watch is pointless and embarassing when you show it off. Oh hey it auto censors swear words! F**k! Never mind the ten seconds to speak all you have to say and no way to shorten or to simply add. Think turn based rather than Apple's realtime.

The band is getting worse and I'd give it back if it wan't looking shredded after just a week of normal wear.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Fiki posted:

What kind of stuff are you doing with the Band that it's looking shredded? I've had mine since launch day and I wear it for workouts and anytime I'm not showering...no real wear yet. The only change in looks I've noticed is the soft touch plastic band needing to be wiped down with a wet napkin after workouts.

Perhaps "shredded" is a little too much hyperbole. No particularly hard usage though there are clear dents on the bezel where it bangs up against my analogue watch, scuffs on the face from typing (I wear it on the inside of the wrist), and scuffs on the band from workouts (bootcamp nonsense, indoor rock climbs, etc.). The Band certainly doesn't look new enough to return, which is stupid after just over a week. The fact that there is a free screen guard says it all - this isn't as hard wearing as a sportsy wearable should be.

As an updated: I've given up sending txt mssgs though the wrist. It takes too long and is invariably wrong context insensitive garbage. As a notifier it is also not particularly useful (doesn't track unread messages, misses some messages, lists all call events as notifiers even those I answered or made myself). The best non-fitness use is that I don't miss calls when my phone's in my pocket.

Any news on software updates? It seriously needs to get out of this beta stage.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

Perhaps "shredded" is a little too much hyperbole. No particularly hard usage though there are clear dents on the bezel where it bangs up against my analogue watch, scuffs on the face from typing (I wear it on the inside of the wrist), and scuffs on the band from workouts (bootcamp nonsense, indoor rock climbs, etc.). The Band certainly doesn't look new enough to return, which is stupid after just over a week. The fact that there is a free screen guard says it all - this isn't as hard wearing as a sportsy wearable should be.

As an updated: I've given up sending txt mssgs though the wrist. It takes too long and is invariably wrong context insensitive garbage. As a notifier it is also not particularly useful (doesn't track unread messages, misses some messages, lists all call events as notifiers even those I answered or made myself). The best non-fitness use is that I don't miss calls when my phone's in my pocket.

Any news on software updates? It seriously needs to get out of this beta stage.

Well it seems MS don't give a poo poo what state the band is in. No question refund. HOWEVER it just so happened that someone didn't pick up their back order M so I roped myself into switching instead of a simple refund. Another 30 days warranty! Still none in general stock.

In related news there is almost zero overlap between sizes. I was bottomed out on the L at snug, the M is the same at a little under 1/4 way. I guess this makes sense with a limit of 3 sizes. Try before you buy, you can't eye these things in. The scale on the box or dl/print is also totally wrong.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
More things need fixing on the Band!

Doing anything through voice control turns on the phone screen to run Cortana. If the phone is in your pocket get ready for all sorts of random screen taps and swipes running god knows what, especially with a sensitive (Lumia) screen. A workaround is to have a passcode (I don't) which brings you back to the lock screen without activating anything.

Which helped me notice you can bypass the lock screen and send txt mssgs and emails and whatever through Cortana without a passcode!

loving awful.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
The handset alarms pick up on the band if you're not in sleep mode (huh?). You have to cancel them on the handset. Dismissing it on the band does nothing except stop the band vibrating. Nothing about this method makes sense.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So I've just come across this:

http://wornandwound.com/2014/06/27/the-withings-activite/

It's so different to everything else (tap the sapphire to set alarms? 1 year batter? everthing else?) so I'm not totally convinced it's real. I'm totally into this design though, being a fan of the Max Bill they mention toward the end.

More:

http://www.withings.com/us/withings-activite.html

From the site:

> French craft. Swiss Made.
> Designed in Paris, Activité is manufactured with great care in Switzerland using exclusive watch materials and bears the precious Swiss Made label.
>
> High-end Swiss dials
> Designed in Le Locle village, the dials come in 2 colors: a sleek black pattern with an orange accent and a glistening white face with a blue accent. Both dials feature a pair of glittering hands.
>
> An unalterable watch case
> Protected by a scratch-proof domed sapphire glass, the 5 ATM water-resistant case is made from a stainless 316L alloy steel resilient to time and corrosion.
>
>A fine calf leather strap
> The stitched strap with straight cut waxed sides is made in a black or tawny Barenia leather from Haas Tanneries, the supplier of the finest French Haute Couture houses. Its soft grain and high quality promise that Activité will age beautifully.
>
> Get on the right track
> Withings Activité is a unique tool to inspire and empower a healthy lifestyle.
>
> Make every move count
> Activité fuels your healthy motivation by tracking all your movements, keeping you informed at all times and supporting your efforts - until you reach your goal.
>
> Get the rest you deserve
> Activité watches over your sleep patterns to provide comprehensive monitoring
>
> Optimize your sleep
Whatever you wear to bed, accessorize with Activité. In the morning you will have a detailed picture of your night. Activité can also wake you up with a silent vibration alarm.
> Advanced Sleep Analysis
> Using Activité’s data, the Health Mate app is able to build an in-depth graph of your sleep patterns and provide you with key sleep quality indicators.
> Silent Alarm
> Set an alarm in the Health Mate app and Activité will wake you with a gentle vibration. Forgot for what time you set your alarm? Simply tap twice on the glass: Activité will spin its hands to show you the alarm time, then return to the current time.
>
> Stop counting laps
> Withings Activité is able to identify and log your swimming workout.
> 5 ATM water resistant
> Activité is 5 ATM water resistant (50 m).
> Extra silicone watch strap
> Easily change straps when you exercise with the quick release spring bars.
> Swim recognition
> Feature will be available by the end of the year, after a free firmware update.
>
> No need to charge it
> No cable, no dock.
> Activité works on a CR2025 button cell providing a battery life that exceeds 8 months. When the time does come to replace the battery, simply use the provided tool.
>
> Automatic time zone changes
> Activité is connected to your smartphone and automatically displays the correct time.
> Should you fly coast to coast or abroad, the watch will instantly adjust to the corresponding time zone.
>
> Your personal coach monitor
> Withings Activité works with the Health Mate app to develop your global wellness activity plan.
> Pre-order now
> Your Withings Activité will be delivered before the general launch (end of November) and so you will be among the first to own it.
> Charged upon shipment.

Too good to be true? Did I just spam a big fat hoax I should have verified beforehand? Iunno wtf

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 4, 2014

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So I returned my Band after 2 weeks with the first (L) and 29 days with the second (M) at the MS store (NYC). They asked me why the return and didn't even pretend to listen to the answer. I guess they were making sure it wasn't because I broke it or whatever but they should be really looking for feedback on why it's no good hardware or software-wise.

I forgot to bring back the charging cable which cost me 20bux on the refund. ffs

6 word review : they better not gently caress up V2.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Microsoft works at snail speed. Ditch your current Band and wait for version 3 and you'll be good. In the meantime there are plenty of deals for other wearables that should suit your needs, you don't have to buy a new phone.

This. Return it and get something which is complete and more likely to be supported than this beta bullshit. I initially liked the Cortana integration (WP user hey-oh) but it revealed itself to be spotty at best. I've learnt to not miss wrist notifications. The sports and sleep metrics were limited in scope and use. The hardware comprehensive but bulky. Wait for V3 for hardware, and for MS to pull their fingers out and demonstrate intent to actually support the platform.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Oh god, watches that overheat and crash. Hi progress!

So what's new on the Band front? Any scent of a sequel? I quite enjoyed having wrist notifications and for some reason I'm persevering with WPhone.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Hate is the tamest emotion that a white date window on a black-faced watch deserves.

This is real and the worst thing along with inconsistent fonts on the date window/dial.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So Windows Band 2. It's curved with a glass screen. Hopefully the data analysis is more useful and transparent this time around, and the phone integration more robust. Pre-ordered! Anyone have any thoughts?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Band 2 is here! A lot better than the first one, worse than I expected. There's something cheap about it, the interface between the rubber/glass/alu is a little amateur feeling. And the clasp, my god the clasp. Wearing the screen on the inside of your wrist is fine and dandy but that clasp is fat and ugly like your mum. I'm not sure why the strap is this latex material, a woven polyester or something would be much more adjustable and a double-d ring closer would be much lower profile and still allow for the battery pod and IR sensor and associated wires - it's not as if the band is waterproof.

Sizing is weird - the chart says I'm an L, in reality I'm snug in the middle of the M.

The curved glass screen is nice though, much better than the friction-ey plastic nonsense they had before.

6/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I'm trying to figure out whether the guided workouts on the Band are any good, so far I just don't get them. Is there one that's specially for a dude in the park with no weights for say 40min? Intermediate/advanced. All the pre-recorded Golds Gym etc. ones are a bunch of marketing bullshit.