Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I have a Fitbit Versa, and I've owned two, one being a warranty replacement. Both have had the screen pop off the body (both fixed with super glue).

Now, I'm tempted to get a Garmin but the recent attack makes me hesitant. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I ended up pulling the trigger on an instinct solar. Now my two trackers (watch and bike computer) are all consolidated into one system.

Pros:
- huge battery life.
- always on display
- solar charging

Cons:
- button layout is a bit eh
- huge battery means long charge times on the charger

Neutral:
- no touch screen, only push buttons
- toggle for back light, doesn't auto adjust

Things that exist but don't bother me:
- it's monochrome

e:
added another con.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 5, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think I'm going to get one of these too. I'm completely fine with no touchscreen and toggle backlight. I read that the Instinct screen is super readable in bright outdoors light? I'm tired of "smartwatches" and this is much more my speed.

How is the heartrate monitor? It apparently has a new one.

It's super readable outdoors, and the HRM is great. It looks like a 1hz refresh rate, but I could be wrong.

SlowBloke posted:

Can you confirm that the instinct solar has a plastic back? I had to throw my brand new vivoactive3 due to the mother of all rashes with the device "steel" back.

Plastic, but it looks like the HRM part is glass or another clear material.

Also not a fan of the stock band but eh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Giant Metal Robot posted:

How well does course navigation work on that size of screen? Replacing my vivosport, partly to have a more heads up map on long bike rides.

I use an Edge 530 on my bike, so not my use case, sorry!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just curious, do you use a screen protector on your Instinct? Actually, would that mess with the solar part?

No I don't, and they don't recommend one apparently

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can I get suggestions for an Android smart watch? I've been out of that market for a LONG time and my GF wants to buy one. Help me goons you're my only hope!

Instinct Solar. We have two people here who love theirs.

Garmin is platform agnostic so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It seems fine?

Compared to Fitbit:
- It's not as prone to saying you were awake for an hour+ every night, so it feels more accurate there.
- actually shows you the pulse ox numbers as opposed to the derivative graph.