Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I keep refreshing bestbuy.com and it won't show up for sale :(

I have gift cards to apply and really want to pick this thing up after work today.

*Update* It's on the site, but not in stock in any nearby stores (southern california). Crap!

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well, I can add to cart at best buy and go through the entire purchase process, but then get a message stating that the watch is out of stock. Boourns.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

XIII posted:

Haha, I was just wondering this same thing. You're in a movie and you get an email. No big deal as you're a responsible adult and have your phone on silent. But, wait, you have your Moto 360 on and it lights up like a goddamn spotlight. You panic and start flailing to dismiss it, but all you manage to do is make it look like you're the lighting setup outside of an LA night club.

I was at a movie a few weeks ago and wanted to kill a guy because of his Samsung watch. He was sitting in the rear row of the "front rows," meaning he had a walkway behind him and thus nobody sitting within 10' or so behind him. He therefore spent the entire movie with his hands resting behind his head, his watch face pointing toward the rear of the movie. Because of this, his watch screen would turn on every few minutes and stay lit for a minute or so, acting like a bright beacon for all in the theater to enjoy in our field of view. It was very, very bright. I normally would say something, but I was way back in the theater and didn't feel like walking down there.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've failed to find a 360 in a best buy enough times to make myself wait for the watch I really want, the LG.

Good job with your limited, terrible launch, moto. That only works when you don't have superior competition about to roll out their products.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

It's going to be called the Moto One.

Well played.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Woo wooooo

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Sweet dude keep us posted

Battery died, I plugged it in two hours ago. Now it won't even turn on, though the charge light on the charger is on. I've been trying to turn it on for 10 minutes

Anyone with a 360 have any ideas?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

eyebeem posted:

Battery died, I plugged it in two hours ago. Now it won't even turn on, though the charge light on the charger is on. I've been trying to turn it on for 10 minutes

Anyone with a 360 have any ideas?

I got it working. drat thing was chewing through the battery faster than it was charging because it was trying to connect to my phone.

Early adopter!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ijyt posted:

That's kind of hilarious.

Yeah, my Apple whore of a girlfriend is beaming.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Just spent my first work day with the 360. I put it on at 5:30am, wore it to the office, showed it off to coworkers, sent some texts, played with the remote viewfinder app, and just left for home at 5:00pm. I'm at 52% battery.

It's fine.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Three Olives posted:

Something I was thinking about today was does a circular smart watch make any sense? Analog watches are circular because the mechanism is circular but the top of wrists are not circular therefor circular watches aren't more comfortable or maximazing display they just cut display space, they are just cutting functional display for an outdated aesthetic. Well that and the gee wiz you don't see many round displays like we had blue LEDs loving everywhere for a while.

Which is fine but for something that isn't going to pass for analog it seems like a big trade off for questionable aesthetic reasons, I wonder how common they will be in a few years if the concept of the smart watch takes off.

Sedans are completely inferior to wagons in every way, but most people buy them due to aesthetics and have done so for 70 years.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I like the retro modern design of the 360 and moto x (leather/wood). If it brings us close to a Her aesthetic in our tech, I'm all for it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I would have probably bought the LG were it not for Qi in the 360. I'm firmly in the wireless charging camp after having owned a Nexus 5 for a year.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I'm completely happy with the moto 360 battery life. I'm at 66% and 12 hours with ambient off and "normal" usage.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My coworkers think it's the funniest thing ever to yell "OKAY GOOGLE!" when we're at lunch and they see my 360 light up.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I bought the g watch for $80 from Best Buy. It will be my mountain biking watch so I don't have to risk the Moto360

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

spookygonk posted:

Getting to grips with my Moto 360 and want an app (paid/free) for running jogging that also tracks your distance? Any other info, like heart rate, charts, would be a bonus.

Phone is a Nexus 4.

What do you recommend?

Strava. I use it for cycling, and it's nice to just tell my watch "ok google, start a bike ride." I believe "start a run" works too.

I use a g watch while working out, though, since i dont want to dirty the 360.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RodShaft posted:

That's what I assumed. I'm not married to Samsung anyway, I just really like my giant screen real estate, but I liked HTC better back in the day. Hopefully they will come out with a monster screen phone on Sprint by the time I have an upgrade available.

So is there an android wear watch that's the current darling?

I'm partial, but the 360 is still the best bet in my opinion.

It looks good, performs well, and the naysayers bitching about battery life either don't actually own one or play on it all day long.

I put my 360 on at 5:30am and typically take it off when I get home from the office at about 8pm, and it's still at 40-50% battery life remaining. It is 3PM right now, I've had it on for 9.5 hours, and I'm at 67% battery life. I've use it to send texts, make calls, navigate, control music in the car, and read texts while in meetings.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

G-Prime posted:

Is anybody here using an Android Wear watch specifically with the intent of heavily tracking heart rate? I know that's really not the purpose of them and that's more of an added feature. My wife has (very mild, but worthy of watching) heart problems, and we're trying to keep a closer eye on her heart rate than, "Hey, how do you feel right now? Okay, good." So we're looking at options.

Obviously, Fitbit has their two new devices due out soon, both with a strong focus on the heart monitoring capabilities. I really like how their app looks as well, and it very clearly provides the data we want access to. On the flip side of things, she and I have discussed at length, and she feels that she's not active enough to justify using a device like a Fitbit, and loves all the Android Wear functionality, but I've not been able to find an app that provides semi-continuous monitoring and does graphing (and maybe exports). So we're in between a rock and a hard place.

She really likes the look of the Moto 360, and I've gotten my hands on one through a coworker, and it seems to provide what she wants in a smartwatch, but I'm not positive on the heart monitoring. It looks like the 360 only does heart rate checking every 5 minutes, and I'm not seeing any clear indication on if there's a way to force it to check more frequently via the API. I'm a programmer by trade, so if that functionality exists, I could do the development myself on a simple implementation, but I'd obviously prefer an existing, well-recommended app that other people have used.

So I guess this is multiple questions: Does anybody have experience with Android Wear heart monitoring? Does the Moto 360 work alright for that purpose? Is there a recommended app to do the realtime and historical tracking?

The 360, and every other android wear watch that I know of all suck at being a HRM.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I bike and lift, so fitness trackers aren't really my bag. I use my watch to tell strava to start a bike ride, but other than that, I'm using a nice Garmin Edge on my handlebars and a HR strap on my chest to actually track everything. At the gym, I couldn't really care less what my heart rate is, but I do use my watch to control music.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Those were posted awhile back.

He's/She's pointing out the similarity in appearance to the new pebble

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'll be there on day one just for the revised lugs. I love my 360 and will probably buy every single damned update.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TollTheHounds posted:

I just don't get the 360 though - the flat tire would bug me so much. Even looking at it now kind of makes me annoyed - why would you ever put up with that?

I guess if you got one before the fully round watches came out then you're kind of stuck with it and either legitimately get used to it or convince yourself to get used to it since you already dropped the $$'s. I can't imagine intentionally buying a 360 these days though - get a GWR or wait for the Huawei.

#noflattire

The flat tire is a non-issue for me, and I suspect most if not all who actually own a 360. It doesn't in any way impact usability of the watch, and I'd much rather have a flat tire than a smaller screen surrounded by a bigger bezel like on the GWR. Give me thin bezels every day.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ive been using the 360 since launch and get more than all day battery without any silly tricks. My gps is on, i use the watch for strava and to control music every day at the gym, and get updates constantly.

I wake up at 5am, put my watch on at 5:45, and take it off when i get home from the office at 7 or 8pm and I'm usually at 45% battery or so.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

booshi posted:

So searching found me nothing, but "Ok google" has stopped working on my Zenwatch. Any ideas?

Check that theater mode is not on. I had the same problem and realized I had turned this mode on somehow. Alternately, your mic is plugged up with gunk?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gohmak posted:

I'm sorry but that flat tire looks terrible. I'm rooting for the 360 but they need to fix that.

Says everyone that doesn't actually own a 360.

I picked up a GWR and still wear the 360 a lot more, because it's so, so much nicer. I also have a G Watch, but only use it for slumming during bike rides because square is uh, ugly.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reverse Centaur posted:

You said this literally two pages ago and I presented myself as someone as proof that you are wrong. You need to accept that a lot of people hate the flat tire for a legit reason.

But you're wrong, see...

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The last two posts are insightful. Android wear has a bad brand- it's not cool. It's not a cool product (set of products) and successful people can't with any regularity be seen wearing it and so now it's cheap. It also means it likely won't evolve into anything exceptional beyond what it is because the market will be crowded out by products that are well branded and cool and visible in public particularly among people with money.

I'm a professional, respected in my field, yadda yadda. I wear my 360 every day both to the office and while out and about. I regularly get compliments, mostly from women, about my watch. I've been told it is "the coolest thing" or "awesome!" by young, old, rich, poor, what have you people since I started wearing the thing.

I really dispute that android wear is not cool. It's not as polished at the apple watch, I'm sure, but it works great for me, and the 360 at least looks the business.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

Apple watch and Android Wear aren't competitors. Both are locked into their own ecosystem and people aren't choosing their smartphone platform based on the wearables that are available.

I have a Note 4 and my company phone is an iPhone 6, but if I did not have an iPhone for work, the Moto360 would keep me from switching to an iPhone for my primary device. I don't particularly care for the Apple watch, and I honestly HAVE (you know what I mean) to have a smart watch at this point.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Citizen Tayne posted:

Thinking about getting an Apple iWatch. It looks pretty good.

Is there a joke I'm missing in you posting "good" 4 times about the Apple Watch?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reverse Centaur posted:

I don't mind talk about AW and other AW talk, but people who bought MS Bands just make me sad for them. :( And health nuts seem to have nothing in common with the rest of us. I bought a smartwatch so I could move less, not more!

Ahem:

There's dozens of us!

(this photo was hard to take)

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Megabound posted:

I had a Mi Band up until it died way prematurely earlier today, and came to the conclusion the only thing I'm really going to miss about it is the alarm function. Being able to get out of bed on time and not disturb my partner is really nice, and vibration is much less jarring than loud noises.

Are there any decent bands out there, with a good battery life that are sub $100 to fill that function? I don't care if it doesn't do phone notifications, I'm only really keen for the alarm.

My wife and kids all have up24s and they have proven to be great. You can score them on the cheap if you look around, and the battery tends to last 7-8 days.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Milkman posted:

It's been 3 days and this charge already managed to get two gouges in the screen somehow, seemingly overnight. What a piece of poo poo. Think I'll return it and try a garmin

Going on 9 months with mine and nary a scratch. Your watch isn't a piece of poo poo, you are a lovely watch owner who doesn't take care of your things.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PerrineClostermann posted:

Apparently I'm getting a Samsung fit 2 for free alongside my note 7 thanks to a promotion. Anyone familiar with it?

I put a crack in my fit 2 screen the second day after I got it for free with my Note 7. I guess they weren't designed to take a hit from a 44lb kettlebell during a round of cleans.

Other than that, I like it. Battery life has been good, aboit 2 to 2.5 days. It is attractive. Notifications are easy to read.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AA is for Quitters posted:

So, getting back into swimming. Ideally, I'd love a gearfit2 that has a higher IP rating. Is the vivoactive going to be my best bet? Really, I want an android wear watch, but I have dainty little girl wrists and the Mission and Casio ones are huge and take up half my forearm.

Fwiw I have a gear fit 2, and despite really liking the functionality, I managed to crack the screen on mine within 2 weeks thanks to some kettle bell swings. I get that you shouldn't smack a glass screen with a 44lb chunk of iron, but I never had a problem like that with my moto 360 or vivosmart. I suspect that the glass is pretty easily broken, based on my experience and a lot of similar stories I've read.

If you just want it for swimming, though, it's a killer little band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a real chump posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on GPS tracking? Seems like a cool feature but not sure if I would use it enough to justify it destroying the battery life.
Is it one of those things you turn on just before a big ride/run?

Since I really don't care about notifications, or a screen, if i can live without GPS it makes my options a bit cheaper.

I was in a really bad road bike accident a few years back. A bystander called my wife with my phone while I was being loaded into an ambulance, unconscious. He basically told her I might be dead, but was being taken to a hospital, then hung up. She had to call around to find out where I was being taken, and since then I use Strava live feed via my Garmin GPS or apple watch. I have also used life360 for free tracking, and it's pretty useful for letting her know if I've left the office, or letting me know if she's about to arrive at home (So I can put my pants on).

If you have a use case for it, it's good stuff.