Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I have a MotoACTV.

It works extremely well in a few key areas, namely as a music player, as a GPS watch, and as a time-keeper.

It has a lot of different wireless capabilities, from Bluetooth, to ANT+, to WiFi.

I use it for running by pairing it with a Bluetooth headphone dongle. The GPS syncs quickly (more quickly than my wife's Garmin), the music sounds good and it keeps pretty detailed data on your run AND the music you listen to on the run. It also syncs my workouts automatically when I get home, and all of your data is uploaded and viewable on the MotoACTV website.

As for shortcomings, it's a large watch. I don't mind the bulkiness of it, but it might look dumb if you are super skinny or a girl. It only gets about 4 days of battery life between charges if I'm not using any of the BT/WiFi/GPS modes. I calculated that it would have enough juice for me to just finish a marathon, if I were so inclined. Finally, it can pair up with and broadcast notifications from Android phones, but has no such capability for iDevices. A pity, since I use an iPhone. Unfortunately, the fate of it is uncertain since Motorola's recent acquisition, and I have no idea how long the MotoACTV website will be usable for. I bought a SquareTrade warranty on it for about $30 just in case I had any technical issues that Motorola refused to support.

It can be rooted, and anyone interested in rooting should install DPRom 8.1. There's a thread for it on XDA. I don't use, nor do I care to use any of the Android-functions of it, but it does make for a pretty badass Calculator watch.

I highly recommend it if you do some of the same things I do with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU