Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I just returned a Jawbone UP 24 because the battery repeatedly died even though the app claimed it had 10-14 days left on it. I decided to replace it with a device that displays some information with a screen/led.

I was looking at the Nike FuelBand SE, Garmin Vivofit, and Fitbit Charge. Anyone have comments on these devices? The Nike one looks the nicest but it looks like it doesn't have sleep tracking, which I find odd. The Charge seems the most popular but I find Amazon/Best Buy reviews are about as trustworthy as youtube comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

rear end Catchcum posted:

Ok but the apple watch comes out next month
Yep when I think "timepiece" I think "a battery that lasts less than a single day"

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Charge HR is about 5 billion times better than the Jawbone UP24 I returned. Thanks for the recommendations, goons. This device is awesome.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Maneki Neko posted:

Well boo, I seem to average 2-3 days on my Charge HR before I get the OMG CHARGE ME email, and it seems like that's low based on that chat in this thread.

Is there some setting that just murders battery life or something?

I'm wearing it all day (minus showering, bathing the kids, etc). I've got 1 silent alarm, call notifications turned on and all-day sync turned off. Heart rate tracking is on auto.
I have HR auto, call notifications and alarms off, and get about 5-7 days. Maybe try turning them off one at a time and see which is the culprit?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Anyone have pics (from anywhere) of a size comparison between the Charge HR and Up2? I have an Up2, it's kind of getting on my nerves (software mostly, it eats up 30% of my iPhone's battery in the background every day). I really wanted an Up3 for all-day heart rate tracking, but that doesn't exist so I'm thinking Charge HR.
Kind of a glam shot but I'd guess the Charge is just under twice as wide. Which still isn't really that wide imo

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Three Olives posted:

By all accounts the Up3 is a completely useless disaster. Get the Charge HR, I've had once since it (secretly) hit store shelves and couldn't be happier with it. I too was looking forward to the Up3 but it is apparently a piece of poo poo without continuous HR tracking and given it's current state I wouldn't count on them delivering on the promised update to include it.
Seconding this, I returned my UP because it randomly stopped working and generally was a piece of poo poo. I got a Charge HR instead and it was a very wise decision.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My Charge HR has been quite accurate on heart rate. I don't have any tattoos on my wrist and have pretty fair skin so maybe that factors in.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm interested in it but I'm curious if they are committed to making it work well with all phones. Is cortana going to work on Android/iOS? Or is that a Win10 phone thing only?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My Charge HR battery went from lasting 6-7 days to lasting 1 or 2 since the last firmware update. It also isn't giving me warnings on my phone when the battery is low, and keeps dying without me knowing. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix or any way to roll back to the old fw?

e: This seems to be a widespread problem: http://consumerist.com/2015/12/29/fitbit-charge-users-report-worse-battery-life-after-firmware-upgrade/
For now I have turned quickview off. Still considering jumping to the MS Band 2 now that it's below 200 on Amazon

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 30, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Maneki Neko posted:

I jumped from charge hr to a band 2 and have been really happy, let me know if you've got any questions
I don't have anything specific but if you want to give your impressions I'd like to hear them. I use the Charge HR for steps, heart rate and sleep. I don't really track meals or workouts other than pushing the button to start/stop logging of a generic exercise period. I love geeking out on graphs, data, trends, etc.

e: I'd be connecting it to an Android 6.x phone. Not sure if that changes things or if it enables the use of Cortana.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 31, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

MC Hawking posted:

I've been digging around but can't really seem to find much but are there any good long term reviews or discussions on the evolution of the Microsoft band 2?

I'm on the fence and need convincing. Help me throw money around like an idiot.
I would be happy to answer any questions about the Band 2; I replaced my Charge HR with it a few months back.

I like pretty much everything about it other than the rubberized band that can't [easily?] be replaced.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Sri.Theo posted:

As a follow-up have they updated the weightlifting app at all? When it first can out out was impossible to skip back and forward between activities.

It seemed like a massive oversight when considering how most people actually use the gym.
I just track workouts as single event. Like I'd log treadmill as type "exercise", then switch to a "strength" workout if I was lifting. Most of what I do though is outdoor running so I haven't really paid attention to the features of other workout types... speaking of which they finally added auto-pause in GPS running so it will pause when you wait for traffic lights or tie your shoe, etc.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I also went from the HR to a Band 2 after fitbit released the poo poo update, and I love my Band 2.

I don't know the answer to your < 35bpm question but it does the other stuff you asked. You do need to charge it more frequently than the pre-broken-firmware HR (every 2 days) but it does a hell of a lot more and Microsoft health is very nice, open platform for your data.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

learnincurve posted:

I'm not sure a sub $100 fitness tracker with phone notification exists.
Timex has that Ironman X20 thing which you can regularly find for $60-70. No idea how good it is though.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RC Cola posted:

Someone recommend me a smart watch that I can use to track my running and such. One with a decent battery life. Price range under $250
I bought a Band 2 for running and I like it a lot. It has GPS (no phone required), music controls, guided workouts, heart rate with VO2 estimation, sleep analysis, other good stuff. Some people find it to not be durable enough although I've had no problems there. The battery life is 2-3 days depending on your usage but the magnetic charger is fast and easy to use.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RC Cola posted:

What can you tell me about the gear line
I can tell you you're much better off with a Band 2 or a Forerunner 230 for running

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

I'd really like to replace my Flex. I'm thinking about the Band 2...how does its pedometer/movement-tracking accuracy compare to the Flex or other Fitbit products?

Most smartwatches have poo poo accuracy for their pedometer, so I'm just wonderin...

My average fitbit step count was about 10k-12k but with the band 2 it's about half that. At first it irritated me but I'm sure now that the fitbit was inflating the count pretty badly. Like it or not though, fitbit is the baseline that people use, including insurance companies or whatever.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Because huge companies such as Sony and Yahoo definitely have your back when it comes to security

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RIP Band 2, you were too good for this world. Except when the BAND of the Band broke and you couldn't replace it :suicide:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Gear Fit 2 Pro looks like a hell of a device and a good value, although I doubt I can give up the 2-3 week battery life of my Polar M400

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/30/samsung-gear-fit-2-pro-hands-on/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Then they will sell the user data to some other company to increase revenue, then have a massive breach exposing health data of millions of people, etc