Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Does any one know if there's a weather app for the Gear S2 that doesn't require location services to be enabled? I don't understand why every app has to constantly know my location and murder my battery; why can't I just set a static Zip/City and it pulls that information from the server every time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

The Bananana posted:

So far, kind of disappointed with the Samsung Gear S2's:
- Battery Life: not very long. I know there's much more functionality than a watch, but when you consider the fact that a watch can go up to a year (at least) on a battery, having to charge this thing nightly (actually, during the first 24 hours I had it, after its first full initial charge, it dies on me within about 12 hours, though I'm willing to give it some slack since I was probably poking and prodding it a lot more than usual) is not exactly convenient. Also consider the contact charger it uses is kind of difficult/unwieldy to use in the car. That's right, no charging port means you'll have to carry this things wireless charger around too, if you plan on using it longer or more intensively than its little heart can stand.

Ultimately, my opinion is that it's a beautiful device, with a lot of potential, but currently, it is not worth the price; I have been strongly considering returning the device.

Try disabling Wi-Fi, it really kills the battery for some reason even if you're not using that feature. I'm getting about 2 full days of charge with normal usage (checking the time, HR checkin every hour, notifications etc.) and powering it off overnight.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

ExplodingChef posted:

I can't seem to find reliable information via google, so I'll ask here -- does the Gear S2 have a sleep tracking app? Something a little more robust than the s-health phone app? Debating picking one up and that might sway my decision one way or another.

There's no dedicated sleep-tracking app I can find; I did find an app called HR tracker that tracks heart-rate while sleeping though.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Zotix posted:

I'm thinking of getting the Samsung Gear S2 for free with an S7 edge. I don't need a data plan for a god damned watch do I? It can just do poo poo from wifi? Or am I completely off base?

Yeah that or Bluetooth; it syncs with your phone if you pair it through those two protocols.