Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a bunch of watches I wear at different times, so I'll probably just add the 360 to the rotation and wear it a few days a week to work or while I bike. I wonder how the battery will fare when it ages, and if there's a way to replace it, since a watch (even a relatively cheap one at $250) is meant to last nearly forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Decided to pick up the 360 to see if I like wearables. Their ordering system is either flooded with nerds like me or is wonky .. its gone from available to backordered about 4 times within a few minutes.

Just ordered successfully from Best Buy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I can't even find it on Best Buy's site.

Do any locations actually have them on hand in store today?

As dumb as it sounds, I would be more inclined to get a 360 if I could have it in hand today. If I have to order, i'm going to wait till I get back from vacation and see what some longer term reviews are like.

No NYC locations have it. The Union Square BB is huge, so if anyone had it, it'd be that one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Right now, we just have the WSJ and The Verge.

I'm not even sure how they had them long enough in order to come to that determination. There was just 11:30 hours between the Chicago event and the embargo lift unless some outlets had them before the event.

But yeah, expect some more longer term reviews to come filter in over the next week and we'll have a better idea how it stacks up. I simply can't imagine anyone at Motorola saying "12 hours is good enough, let's ship" with all the rest of the care going into this device and others.

The Verge definitely had them before the past few days. There's several photos of a Verge "journalist" doing unrelated things while wearing the Moto360.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

XIII posted:

Yeah, didn't he say in that video review that he'd had it a month+?

I'm also going to hold off until more reviews roll in, but I'm still really considering buying one. I just accepted a new job (this is going to be a little self congratulation gift), so it'll be a few weeks until I get my first check anyway. My real problem is choosing between black and silver. The black one looks so much cleaner, but the silver is a little more "nothing to see here, just a watch", which I kind of like.

I got the black, because I really want the black metal band. I already have a couple nice silver watches, so the black one rounds out my collection.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Really, we just have one datapoint on battery life and that datapoint hasn't been reliable in the past when it comes to battery life. I'm not willing to say the sky is falling yet.

By the middle of next week, we should have a pretty good indication on whether or not 12 hours is the best case. Don't forget there's a moto Q&A session today, so they may address it there since that seems to be the number one question on everyone's mind right now.

Where is this Q&A? I can only find the MotoX/G one that happened a few hours ago.

Seems to answer it at 22:23:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/hangouts/onair/watch?hid=hoaevent%2Fc04aaqgipehkadbje7tjp0vef48&wpsrc=yta&ytl=v1ne0Li7hvs

"all day battery life" super dodge answer. Ugh. He does address the "new shiny" battery life problem where its racked by a new user playing with it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My 360 is shipped from Best Buy. I was f5ing the bb page at noon and got it with in a few seconds of I going live.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Current motorola (in the past year) device owners will be able to customize the included watch faces with their own color schemes through the Moto Connect software.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/05/motorola-connect-app-updated-brings-exclusive-watch-face-customization-for-moto-360/

Argh, this makes me more and more want a new Moto X, but I need to see what Nexus comes out and make a choice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

Wait so Motorola chanced to a batch of lovely 2010 TI arm chips (TI quit arm chip business in 2012) from a dumpster and decided to make some smartwatches? :psyduck:

Maybe next time buy some Snapdragon 400's. They aren't that expensive, and everyone else uses them!

Technical TI only stopped putting them in smart phones. They continue to make them for snall other embedded devices. Either way its an odd choice. Likely they got a killer deal on old TI stock and were building to a specific price. I'm getting this 360 because I want it more as a curiosity thing, though. Its a first gen device so there's going to be some rough edges. I'm also starting to learn to develop so it'll be fun having a watch to mess around on.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Its really not all that great. Screen is lower res, its chunky and large and we all know about the battery life.

I just sold mine on eBay for way too much. People are strange.

The buyer is emailing me to ship NOW!! Its 6am here. Please relax.

I'll have mine tomorrow, I should dump it on ebay too.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I have the Moto360 on. I actually really like it. It feels great, it's super light and comfortable. It's just a nice piece of jewelry first. I'm a watch guy, I wear one every day, and I'll have no problems adding this to the rotation.

I don't know about battery life, since i've only had it one day, but I took it off the charger 3 hours ago, it's set to the screen always on mode (ambient mode on) and it's at 88% after three hours. That's 12% in three hours, 4%/hour, so if that rate continues it should last 24hours. That doesn't seem consistent with the prevailing sentiment, but whatever.

It's got some nice faces, and the notifications are really handy while commuting, standing up on the train, since I don't have to get my phone out. Also while out and about in the city it's nice to not have to get my phone out to see what's going on. I'm going to put it up on ebay for pure profit, but I'll definitely re-buy at a cheaper price with the earnings.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Wish the moto had gone oled.

Symptom of first gen, and they are building to a price. With the exception of the battery (which I have no opinion on yet, since i've only had it for a day) the moto360 is something I enjoy wearing. It looks nice, feels nice, and is decently useful.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

The 360 is easier to charge due to it being wireless and standard Qi. I have a Qi plate at work on my desk, so any battery life concerns if I was going somewhere after work could be mitigated by dropping the watch on the plate for an hour before I left. It would also means I could pack a single charger while traveling and charge the watch, my Droid MAXX and my Nexus 7 2013.
Same here, I take my watch off anyway when I sit at my desk and type, so I just set it on my Qi charger and don't worry about it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I have no idea how Wear really works in practice, but that bezel sticking up around the LG watch makes me think of cases that stick up around the screen on smartphones and how they make it difficult to swipe from the edge sometimes...

You don't have to swipe in the from the edges at all. There's four directional gestures that all work the same if you start from inside the crystal vs the edge of it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

Is there a way to turn it off? My wife turns into one of those creatures from the deep sea at night and hates any light in the bedroom.

Charge it in a different room?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eyebeem posted:

I got it working. drat thing was chewing through the battery faster than it was charging because it was trying to connect to my phone.

Early adopter!

On the initial turn on its looking for the phone for a firmware update or something. Once it connects and updates it will settle down.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I took a long bike ride to somewhere and did both strava and navigation off my wrist. This is the future.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
A square watch isn't as comfortable or convenient because it the square edge hits the bone that sticks out of the side if your wrist, and the square edges get caught on bag straps and what not.

Also it's an aesthetic decision.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Also clocks are round. Like, everywhere. Round clocks.

Imagine four clocks on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the clock nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of clocks and takes the place of the first clock. The formerly first clock becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Android Wear works the same way.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If anyone wants my moto360, it's up in SA Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665597

I got it, but turns out that I need to spend a lot more on new baby furniture than I thought, so I need the cash instead of the watch. It's going back to Best Buy if no one wants it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

So my G Watch is on it's way, after arguing with AT&T for two hours on a insane billing issue keeping me from adding a tablet because AT&T wireline said I owed them money that I didn't owe I ended up with a $166.19 credit on my wireless account, the invalid AT&T wireline charges removed, an LG G watch for $114.50 billed to my account, free 2 day shipping and I still have $70 on my AT&T promo card for the $200 they gave me for my iPhone 4 after paying my bill.

It's been a good week for me with AT&T.

It looks like the LG G watch on Awful Mart went like lightning with several backups for $100 used no packaging so for anyone that has used a Moto 360 and a G Watch do I parlay my free G Watch into a $150 Moto 360 whenever I can get one? $179.99/$249.99 seems more like a toss up than free/$149.99. I'm happy with my regular Pebble now appearance wise with a replacement strap, any reason I would be less happy with an G Watch besides battery?

To get a Moto360 for cheap, go to a post office and get their change of address packet. It has a 10% off Best Buy coupon it that works for the Moto360. You get about 25 bucks off, plus you have to have a rich people credit card, my Chase Sapphire Preferred gives me an additional 4% cashback on it, so that's ten more dollars.

Add to that whatever BestBuy rewards you have from buying all those switches to setup your Condo wifi reseller thing, and I'm sure you can sneak it under $200.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Reverse Centaur posted:

I wonder if being bought by a Chinese company is the reason why the internals are so lovely. The screen/processor decisions are baffling.

The processor is the same as their older wearable, the MOTOACTIV as well as a Droid from a few years back. They likely had a bunch of them left over since those weren't big sellers. The cost was instead zero.

Also Lenovo does not make garbage hardware. They are one of the only Windows OEMs making money on hardware. Their Thinkpad line is synonymous with business and their hardware is very tough, modular, and rugged. (The new x230 is a weird departure but that's a relatively new development). That said the 360 probably had nothing to do with Lenovo and was probably hardware locked well before the buyout.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

I thought the QI charging on the 360 was technically QI but didn't really play well with most QI chargers. If you are using a proprietary dock anyways pogo pins vs induction seems trivial if you are cutting major corners in important places like the processor/display.

It doesn't work well with a flat Qi charger if you have a metal band on it. It won't sit flat enough to make contact. I have an official nexus charger, and a generic chinese one, and with a leather band it worked fine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I could see the metal band being an issue due to fitment on a flat charger. But yes, it is officially Qi standard and will charge with any Qi charger provided that you can position it correctly.

The display thing doesn't worry me at all. We had the same thing pop up with the Nexus 7 as well and it ended up being overblown, only having a few isolated edge cases. I don't consider that 'cutting corners', it's just an artifact that LCDs can suffer from due to manufacturing variance and it's very hard thing to catch with QC since it doesn't manifest itself right away. You could probably pull samples of nearly anything equipped with a screen suffering from something similar. It's only when you have an intersection of something like that happening with someone who's vocal on social media does it pop up in public awareness.

That's what the warranty is for. If your watch does that, exchange it.

It may be that if you leave it on a Qi charger for hours and hours. Mine got very hot on the official charger, so maybe the heat exacerbates it. When I had mine for the week, I'd just turn it off and leave it on my night stand, and put it on the charger when I got up and went into the shower. In the hour it took me to get ready and head out, it'd be completely full.

Also, I had it for a week, and SAMarted it, but all day today I've been looking at my regular watch when I hear my phone chime.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

Yes but the processor/display/battery life are way behind the other devices which are majorly flawed for their own reasons. $250 is a lot to pay for a meh device running meh software, 2.0 could bring massive improvements in software/battery life that change that calculus or we could see new hardware launch alongside it that isn't making so many major compromises.

Put an OLED and a Snapdragon in the Moto 360 and I will pay $300+ for it right this minute (Assuming battery life would improve as dramatically as one would expect), make major improvements in the software and I might overlook hardware deficiencies but as it stand now $250 just seems like a lot of money to pay for something half-baked all around.

The first hurdle to Android devices receiving updates is not the carriers, but the SOC manufactures. They have to first agree to update their chipset drivers to support the new Android binaries or source or whatever. Only after this happens can an update proceed. Maybe for minor updates you don't have to go that far, but if they want to bring Android L to Android Wear it will almost certainly require the SOC OEM to assist. The TI chip in the 360 is so old, I find it hard to believe that TI wants to support it any more.
It's such a :psyduck: choice. They must have had a ton sitting around, but why?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

They had a ton sitting around because it was used in the MotoACTV.

Yeah I meant they had a ton sitting around because of that but why use them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

The only thing I can think of is Google fully intends on supporting poo poo chips long term on the platform to get watches at very low price points going forward and having a flagship using poo poo chips sends a message that if someone wants to get into the game with poo poo chips that meet the performance specs they aren't going to be abandoned by Google.

The first barrier is does TI want to support them. With out the chip OEM producing chipset drivers, no android updates can be guaranteed to work, see this interesting HTC infographic:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Reverse Centaur posted:

Agreed, but I have to baby my 360 to not worry about battery. It's almost good enough after all the updates, but not quite.

The problem is that the battery in that Moto360 will only have half of it's life in a year. So a 16hour battery will be only 8 hours once the battery has some time on it. The battery is not replaceable either. It's a lot of money for a watch that will only last maybe two years before it's completely useless. I know the lifespan on consumer electronics are pretty short, but really for $250 you can get a regular watch that last you forever.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I believe you are under a mistaken impression that Best Buy is actually 'managed' and is a 'store' instead of a flea market of new electronics that a truck dumps on to the floor once a week staffed by people who couldn't manage to find their way out of the store the previous week.

amazon should just buy BB and turn it into a showroom that only sells mail order. Its basically that already.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kidney Stone posted:

Charging cable

To hell with proprietary chargers.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nthalp posted:

It's very weird wearing a traditional watch after a 360 ...it feels broken.

Seriously. I had the 360 for a week and after every time my phone dings now I look at my empty wrist.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eyebeem posted:

My coworkers think it's the funniest thing ever to yell "OKAY GOOGLE!" when we're at lunch and they see my 360 light up.

When I had the Moto 360, I'd say "Ok Google" and my tablet, phone, watch, and laptop start listening.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

Groupon and Amazon both have the G Watch for $80 today, for $80 the G Watch is a solid, solid buy. Not the fanciest or flashiest but seriously it looks fine and Wear is still an immature platform, I would seriously wait until for the next gen watches for over $200 at this point.

Yeah, at this point I've decided to get the Moto362. If it looks the same but has a better screen, battery, and processor it's an instant buy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SpelledBackwards posted:

I agree - since the body looks mostly the same (at least outwardly), and you can bring your own band in either case, I'm not sure I'd pay a 50% price premium for a few more days' battery life when the current solution for charging even on the original Pebble is still pretty good.

I backed it because I fully intend on ebaying it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TwystNeko posted:

Back in November, I bought a Samsung Gear Live. Loved it, had no problems, and the battery life issue was mitigated by not having the screen on all the time (how can that be?!)

However, in the last week or so, the charging cradle has broken. I now need to strap the damned thing to the watch with a rubber band. See, there's this little tab, maybe .5mm wide, that is meant to latch onto the back of the watch. It's worn away through just using it normally.

So, you'd think that this would be something that would be covered under warranty, right? Nope! I am apparently at fault for using the charge cradle the way it was intended, and will have to pay for it to be fixed! There's even some minor damage to the socket the tab clicked into. Hooray!

This is a known issue, and if I had bought this watch off Google Play, I'd be able to get a refund now. However, I bought it at the only Samsung store in Edmonton, and I may be hosed. I'm going to head back to the store again tomorrow, and see if I can get a refund. I see people referencing the Sales and Goods act, but I'm in Canada, so I need to dig up the relevant info. Oh boy.

I know this doesn't help you specifically, but I'd like to remind everyone to make purchases of this nature with a credit card, especially a card that provides some purchase protection. If you aren't familiar with the cards you have, take a moment and check their policies. You'd be surprised how helpful they can be.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fatal posted:

Or signing up for any utility (electricity, gas, cable, etc). Or health insurance. Or a rental car. Or... I digress, it's just really silly in the era of a credit based economy.

I've been loving my Moto 360, I find it amazing the difference in battery life/performance since I purchased it on launch day. It's one of the few pieces of technology I've had in recent years that has positive movement in those categories as it gets updated. Only thing I'm not such a fan of is the discoloration I've had with the black leather band, I guess I need to get some some sort of cleaner or conditioner for it?

Take it to a nice shoe repair store. They will set you up. A jewelry store too, but it'll be more expensive there for the same thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I also didn't see anyone here mention Tag Heuer.

This morning, Google, Tag Heuer, and Intel announced a teamup for a high end wear watch.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/19/us-lvmh-intel-watches-idUSKBN0MF1NU20150319

It will likely be priced in the multi-thousand range and therefore not something most people here will investigate, but it's a significant step. While we've seen watch makers sign on for Android Wear, pretty much all the released watches have been by tech companies. This is the first evidence that watchmakers themselves are starting to take the space seriously.

I can see this partnership having ripples across the space. I doubt Tag is simply going to bolt up an Intel SoC to an LCD display and call it a day. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we saw some sort of blending of Android Wear with mechanical watchmaking. In theory, there's nothing that says an Android Wear watch actually has to have a virtual watchface on it. They could easily do a display as a background for a traditional watch face or have it as some kind of translucent overlay.

This is the ultimate evolution of the design I think. We can have fully display based watches from tech companies, but then we can also have hybrid devices from traditional watch manufacturers. Even though Wear's interface itself can't be customized by the OEM, it is carefully crafted to get out of the way which would allow a hybrid design to work.

I don't know how possible it could be, but a traditional watch face with a screen for the back and maybe color changing transparent hands would be a crazy smart watch concept.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

I just use a watch face with a black background so that it is invisible. I don't even think about it, to be honest. It certainly doesn't affect interactive use because that part of the screen is too narrow to display text or whatever anyway.

Yeah, when I had a 360, I barely noticed that. When you do use an app or whatever, the cut out sort of matches the horizontal box of the info card, so you don't really notice it all that much.

bull3964 posted:

It really should be possible, especially when you are talking about a multi-thousand dollar watch.

Digitizers are drat near transparent. You could easily have the digitizer, then physical watch hands, then display.

You could make the hands super thin if you wanted to and have them react mechanically. Think of the way watches do their stopwatch functions if they only have main hands. When you touch the screen, the hands could align opposite of each other along the X axis, getting out of the way and creating sort of a dividing line across the display. To get even crazier, I think it would also be possible add LEDs on to the hands so they could mimic the display under them so they could nearly fade away when interacting with the display.

Make the hands glass with an LCD layer on them. Under normal operation they are opaque, but when you interact with the device, they become transparent to show the screen underneath.

There's a whole ton of possibilities.

A smart watch with a regular watch in front of the screen would be great, because you could use it as a watch when the battery was dead or to save power. I don't know how practical, though, it'd be to have all the watch mechanisms and electronics jammed into the small space. I also wonder if they are trying to figure out how to put the automatic movement into a smart watch, but make it charge a battery instead. Maybe it couldn't maintain the charge, but it can help to trickle charge it and keep it from going down so quickly. Surely someone is working on that in a lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm probably going to get a moto360. The metal one for under 200 is a really good deal.