Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yeah, that's my point. The G Watch R is too similar to current watches, but they will eventually find a way for people to say "hey I'm wearing smart watch" without also saying "look at this goofy piece of plastic poo poo on my wrist."
And they can call it the Moto 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

The poo poo battery life is a real dealbreaker. Very disappointed.
Unfortunately I think this is the unavoidable truth. I could deal with a one day battery life, like 18 hours. I don't need to take my smartwatch camping or whatever, I have a traditional watch for those situations. But 12 hours is simply not good enough to use in general everyday life.

I'm really surprised because a lot of early leaks and rumours suggested that the 360 had better battery life than the first two Wear devices. So part of me wonders if this is some unexpected issue in the early devices that The Verge and WSJ received. But mostly that it just blind hope.

Ah well, back to watching the rumour mill for the next great wearable release.

Edit: One question I have about it is whether I can drop it on any QI charger or if it has to be the official dock. I might be able to live with it if it's the former. Of actually rather it changed by cable, could easily plug it in at work while coding rather than having to take the watch off.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 5, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone done a (vaguely) scientific battery comparison of the 360 against the G Watch / Gear Live. Have read reports of it being everywhere from fine to unusably terrible.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also clocks are round. Like, everywhere. Round clocks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Presumably that's with the ambient thing disabled?

Edit: Post now in actual English.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 25, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Apparently the new update helps with the battery.
According to what?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

There are more reports that the battery life has been significantly increased with this update.
Damnit Motorola, hurry up and release this thing in UK so I can make a bad purchase decision and regret it when you launch the Moto 361 in six months.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a Wear device yet (waiting for the sweet sweet 360 release in UK) but regarding the weather thing can't you just get a weather app rather than relying on Google Now for it?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I understand now. So Wear is displaying your Google Now cards rather than just the notification that a new card has appeared. Useful cards are easy to leave up on a phone because Now is in a specific place that you can go to and look if you want to see them again, but on the watch they clutter up the main screen. Yeah, that makes sense and sounds like it could certainly be improved.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is a "limited edition Moto 360"?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Silver with a black band looks pretty hot.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That thing looks utterly ridiculous.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got my 360 yesterday, it's beautiful, really happy with it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Regarding this conversation we had a couple of weeks ago:

bull3964 posted:

I would say the biggest thing I want from wear right now is the ability to hide cards without dismissing them.

Jmcrofts posted:

I agree, Wear needs a way to hide notifications from the watch face without clearing them out.

bull3964 posted:

I'm hoping it's one of the things the tweak in Wear 2.0. It's a pretty common request.

This is a now a thing as of today's G Watch update:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...them-for-later/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

Yessss, this can't come to my 360 fast enough!
A few people on Reddit have had the update on their 360s, it's probably a phased rollout but it shouldn't be long.

Edit: Official blog post with details:
http://motorola-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-download-its-time-for-moto-360.html?linkId=10137381

Tunga fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 21, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dauq posted:

they're being pretty vague about it
This should clear things up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8J5BWL8oJY

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

surc posted:

What is the chin referring to?
I assume it is in reference to the flat non-screen section at the bottom of the Moto 360.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Come back in a year and we might have those things.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ninmeister posted:

Are people actually seeing a performance issue with the older processor in the Moto 360? I ask because I sure don't. It's a tiny device that is used to show you notifications. How much goddamn processing power do you need for this?
Yes, absolutely. I love my Moto 360 and wouldn't swap it for any other Wear device currently on the market but the lag that sometimes occurs when it first turns on is disgusting and obvious to anyone with eyes. I'm not even comparing it to other watches, it is just objectively bad in and of itself.

The watch lights up, you drag the notification up or right, and it lags and jerks as it moves across the screen.

It doesn't happen every time, and after a couple of seconds it's usually fine. I wonder if it could be improved by having the CPU-clock speed ramp up faster on wake via a kernel tweak but it's probably just the lovely CPU that they used.

Edit: On an unrelated note, the biggest problem I have with Wear right now is that it is too quick to decide if you are dragging up/down or left/right and you are then locked to that axis. A bunch of my "go back" swipes are completely ignored because my finger moved up or down a tiny bit first and the watch decided I was trying to swipe through cards that don't exist and promptly ignores the rest of my gesture.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 24, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine is always on ambient mode, I'm a pretty light user, mostly just notifications, but I get about 16-18 hours out of it which is plenty.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

You can keep saying it but it doesn't make it true. The 360 makes major sacrifices in usability (ie screen turning completely off almost immediately) to barely get through the day for most people. If it worked like yours I would be more happy with it.
I run mine in Ambient mode and I never have to even think about the battery, it finishes every day (~16-18 hours) on 30-35%% :shrug: .

The battery is objectively worse than the other Wear devices out there but it's also fine to get through a day. If you want to make heavy use of watch apps then that may not be true but for checking the time and notifications it's perfectly good.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In other Moto 360 news:

http://phandroid.com/2014/10/29/gold-moto-360-amazon/

Amazon posted two gold models (one with a thinner strap), a silver model with a brown strap, and the previously announced official metal straps. And then they all disappeared again.

What happened to the original metal straps that Moto showed off on the first renders, those were really nice :( .

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 30, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Particularly pleased to see a date option on all the existing faces, that was an obvious omission and will be useful.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's old.

There hasn't even been an update for a month or whatever.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

When I had the Moto 360, I'd say "Ok Google" and my tablet, phone, watch, and laptop start listening.
On my Nexus 5 the phone will only listen when the watch isn't which is nice. If the phone is on you can actually see the microphone symbol change when the watch screen turns on/off.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 26, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I run my 360 in Ambient mode and get about 16-18 hours out of it which is plenty for me. Yesterday I wore it from 10:00 to 02:00 and it was at 10% (having disable ambient mode automatically at 15% around midnight). I'm not a heavy user but it's a watch, it's mostly just there for notifications.

Android Wear still has a few niggles but nothing too bad. And the 360 occasionally lags up a bit when the screen first comes on but after a moment it's fine. The screen is nice enough, but the resolution could be a little better and you'll notice some jaggies on images. But mostly you'll just be reading text and it's totally good enough to do that without ever thinking about the screen.

It's not a perfect device and I'll probably replace it in a year or so when these companies have figured out how to do watch hardware well, but I'm happy with the purchase and it was worth the money for me.

People also love to ask me about it which is cool, and everyone agrees that it looks great.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 28, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a phased rollout so it's a bit random.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nerdrock posted:

Is anyone else, since updating to android wear 5.0.1 (on a G watch or others) seeming to get notifications a lot less reliably, and also not having google play music controls pop up anymore? I'm kind of pissed it used to work great, and now seems very unreliable.

I'm getting this on a Moto 360 (paired with a N5 runing 5.0.1), same as you, started when Wear updated to 5.0.1. Rebooting the watch seems to fix it but it starts again after a day or so, it's pretty annoying.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting it on Hangouts and Gmail, doesn't seem to be app specific.

If I wake the watch up I'll get the missing notification (complete with vibration) so it's almost like it's gone to sleep and isn't waking up properly when required.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Somewhat related, setting Cinema Mode (or "Theatre" for the yanks) on will cause the 360 screen to switch off on the dock, which can be helpful if you don't actually use it as a desk clock and would rather it charge faster and not risk any screen burn.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Excuse me, it's "theater".
I should know better, used to work for a company that made UK software in the US, spent days of my life getting these kinds of spellings changed to the UK versions :) .

quote:

But this is good to know. I might be getting a 360 for Christmas, and my wife hates any light in the room, so this would get rid of that concern.
Something else you should know: the charger has soft white LED to indicate that the watch is charging. It's extremely feint and it is angled down so what it actually does it make a tiny white dot on the desk that you have it on. So may or may not represent a problem, and you could easily stick some blutack (or whatever you guys call it :P) or tape over that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

I thought if you were wealthy enough in the rest of the world you still bought private healthcare.
Or you get it as an employee benefit.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Call me old fashioned but i still prefer the touch of an actual woman.
In your ear?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope Tylt release those nice looking 360 bands soon because my stock leather band is getting kind of worn already. The soft leather is really nice to wear but as a result of that and the design of the band meaning you have to bend it right back on itself, I can see that it isn't going to last a year.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A friend of my mum wants "a thing to keep track of activity". That's literally the description I got since I wasn't there at the time. And because I'm "the techie guy" my mother kindly volunteered me to recommend a product (or a few options, maybe) because clearly I know about all technology.

With some prompting, I worked out that the requirements are:
  • Must be wrist worn.
  • Must be waterproof because she is a hairdresser by trade.
  • Will be used for walks, not jogging/running/handstands/gym/whatever.
  • Ideally would be a watch that she can wear all the time.
  • Tracks activity in terms of time or steps (ideally both), not interested in heart rate.
  • Sends all the data to her phone (no idea if it's Android or iOS) or the cloud or whatever.
I own a Moto 360 and the step/activity tracking is complete garbage. I love it for notifications and being-a-watch, but it's not a good activity monitor.

Any suggestions?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dmitri posted:

Maybe the Withings Activite Pop? Should be released soon since there are reviews online, I guess. Haven't used it but it seems to fit most of her requirements.
Thanks, will check it out.

Also considering the Fitbit Charge (non-HR), any opinions on that?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Yes, it's stupid, don't buy it, it should not exist, get the Flex or the Charge HR.
Point taken though she literally won't use the heart rate stuff so it's a debatable even at £20.

It turns out she doesn't actually need it to be a watch, she just meant "goes on my wrist and can be worm permanently, like a watch". So the Flex looks perfect for her. Thanks.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 16, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Regarding this (that a bunch of people replied to, thanks again):

Tunga posted:

A friend of my mum wants "a thing to keep track of activity".
In the end I suggested the Fitbit Flex. The UP24 was unfortunately not a good option because it can't be submerged. She took my advice by going out and purchasing...a Fitbit Charge! She obviously didn't read what we sent her, saw the word Fitbit, and bought the first thing that was vaguely near the same price. Yes, that's how products work, well done.

A few days later she was complaining that she couldn't see any useful information on the band and the phone/computer part was too complicated. I'm trying to distance myself from this purchase as much as possible because I have no intention of playing tech support for this thing so I just suggested she takes it back if she doesn't like it but her complaints are going to be the same on any device unless she spends a bunch more money for something with a screen and even then I imagine she'd still struggle with the technical side of how it actually works.

So, yeah, that went well!

In other news, I bought my Mum a Fitbit Zip for her birthday. She used to have a mechanical pedometer years ago that we got free with Walkers Crisps (I think) but it broke after a while. I had no idea that Fitbit made a little clip-on pedometer until I was on the site (because of the above). She is excited about keeping a basic record of her steps/distance so I'm hoping it's fairly easy to use and close to zero maintenance beyond "clip it on". We'll be setting it up tonight.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Zip doesn't do stairs, the One does, maybe you mean that?

My Mum is super happy with her Zip, it's perfect for her in that the UX is literally "bash it with your hand" and the app opens to the exact basic daily stats that she wants to see. She's really happy with it. Good present, good purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

Those of us who couldn't stand the flat tire sold it or never bought it in the first place. I loved the design of the watch, more than the GWR in general, but the black bar was driving me nuts. If the battery/hardware was equal I probably would've put up with it, but that was a major factor too.

If that "leak" is the next 360 they better at least have a full circle since I really did like the way the band attached on first gen. Can't say I'm really into it.
I just use a watch face with a black background so that it is invisible. I don't even think about it, to be honest. It certainly doesn't affect interactive use because that part of the screen is too narrow to display text or whatever anyway.