Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

I'm really surprised because a lot of early leaks and rumours suggested that the 360 had better battery life than the first two Wear devices. So part of me wonders if this is some unexpected issue in the early devices that The Verge and WSJ received. But mostly that it just blind hope.

I want to say they originally said it would be an AMOLED screen too which could contribute greatly to the battery situation.

e: also it MIGHT be addressable to a certain extent by continued software updates. They've been saying "this is final hardware" in prior tech demos so it sounded to me like the SW was way undercooked. The ambient light sensor issue, for example, may be addressed by tweaking polling rates or something.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Technogeek posted:

If I'm reading that spreadsheet correctly, it seems like the battery life issue might be due to toggling the "screen stays on when not in use" setting. With that turned off it seems to be a lot better.

When I don't use the device, it's battery lasts a whole lot longer!

Time and hopefully software updates will tell, I think this is the next Xoom. At least your wife will love the dual single core tegra 2 TI OMAP chipset.

e: fixed due to not knowing bbcode well enough to pull off referential comedy

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Banana_Boy posted:

Exactly this. Watching the keynote as a lefty I instantly wanted to know if it can be flipped to be work on the right wrist. Here's hoping.

I'm a lefty too but I only recently learned it's normal to wear on the right hand.

Right hand watch wearers are going to get hosed on the iWatch. There is no way they will have separate SKUs for handedness. Too many logistics issues come up.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

He never said that. There's GPS on the watch that works without ever touching your phone (I added "paired with phone" to be completely fair, but that's the case with almost everything). If you're using GPS without carrying a phone, that's a bit of a strange situation.

You won it. You won the pendant pendant. Congratulations on splitting the finest of hairs.

Exercise stuff is a great reason to want GPS in a watch but I think even when its added it may be near unusable just due to the battery drain & relatively small watch batteries.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
For those who still use Pebble, the android app rewrite is in beta and you can get it by signing up for the beta channel here:

https://developer.getpebble.com/blog/2014/06/12/Android-Beta-Channel/

-This version of the Pebble Android app has been re-written from the ground up to be more reliable and give a better user experience
-Notifications are now available from all apps. You should now disable Pebble Notifier or similar apps
-The new Notifications menu includes an All Apps option, where you can selection to receive notifications from any app on your device
-Some popular apps are selected by default
-Some apps in this list will be disabled if you have enabled built-in notifications (e.g. Gmail or calendar) to avoid generating duplicate notifications
-Remember to enable Pebble in the Android notification settings! You'll be prompted in the Pebble navigation drawer menu if you haven't done this
-In-progress phone calls can now be ended from your watch

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

...I would be completely happy with the Pebble, it's a solid, solid watch for $99 that keeps getting better, I honestly can recommend it enough even just as a backup watch for your Apple Watch.

And the pebble steel is just superlative. Battery life and basic notifications functionality is what I'm looking for right now and no one does it better than pebble.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

Small pebble time round. Rose gold.

Seconding this, MY WIFE likes hers & it has stuck with her over the past four months. Anything else is too big, imo.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah a whole ton of people at work got and wear them to this day. Too big & goofy, does too little to justify the looks and ergonomics.

Still pretty happy with my LG Watch Style, admittedly I'm very easy to please - just want it to last all day, do notifications and step counting.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

Can't wait to discover if I get a handy fitness and semi-smart watch like the impressed reviewers seem to evaluate or one of the buggy/glitchy paperweights commenters inevitably share.

Mine won't pair. At all. $100 paperweight with a heart rate sensor

also the screen's an LCD with a flat tire. and santa isn't real.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

That really blows. What're you pairing it with?

Pixel. I'm going to keep trying & try older nexus phones as well but not expecting much.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

OKAY I GOT MINE TO WORK.

The hurdle is that the Pace needs a phone that is not Android 8.1 to synch with and update it, can be Android or iOS. After updating from a friend's phone, my Pace still took a couple tries to synch with my Pixel, but now it's working fine.

Budget wearables :)

Nice, yeah that worked for me too. It's not a terrible watch build-quality wise. The screen is a little crummy, the software is decent aside from this issue.

I'm going to get a non-silicone band and give it a shot for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Follow-up: the screen looks crummy backlit because it's a *transflective* color LCD like the pebbles! :catdrugs: So, always-on and looks great w/ decent room lighting.

Other similarities: simplicity of software, battery life.

Neutral to bad notes: notification support is barebones, no 3rd party apps, using the watch is a little clunky, and the phone app is fitness/health data tracking oriented. Some reviewers said heart rate sensor is inaccurate sometimes but I think that's endemic to this tech?

None of these things really bother me & it's nice otherwise, so I'll be wearing it long-term I think. May even buy a second for when the first's battery shits out after 1-2 years, as they inevitably do. I'll do a follow-up post after another week or two.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 12, 2018