Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sindai posted:

That's how I assumed it worked too, but apparently hyperspace ramming is canon.

So I guess there's no good reason it isn't done constantly except for "shooting lasers at each other is way cooler."
I refuse to believe that the Star Wars Expanded Universe hasn't given at least one contradictory set of answers about this.

Seriously, that poo poo is worse than fan-fiction*.

*Usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, the Death Star is a symbol of terror. It can show up in a system and demonstrate the threat of destruction but, yes, it is horribly inefficient.

As for the explanation that "only five technicians in the sector can program it" well, come on, that is a bit silly. There are billions of hyperdrive engineers in the Star Wars universe and every second a new one rolls off the production lines.
People design these things and then add the security that stops them going into suns and stuff, the idea that it is this ultra secret technology to remove an override from a commercially created space engine is a little bit of a stretch.

Finally, you can program hyperspace jumps for relatively short distances as well and use it tactically. Abuse of hyperspace is such an obvious thing that it is kinda silly that it is never intentionally used in the canon, so when you start doing that yourself it is a bit ridiculous.

Using the MAD comparison isn't really apt because, well, they do blow up a planet? They've shown they are totally fine with it.
The reason people don't attack Coruscant with asteroids isn't because they fear the retribution of the Empire or some sort of moderate escalation situation.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I think that it's possible to play super serious Star Wars

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

And also it's stupid and try not to think about it too much because Star Wars, dude.

Nice.

I'm not mocking you or calling you a nerd, I've done relatively serious Star Wars before and it is a great franchise but it is pretty frustrating and difficult to do as you have to deal with a big list of contradictions and kinda weird things but if you do the ground-work it is great!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Nothing says "Stop stalling and sign that treaty as-is" like waking up in the morning, taking your coffee out onto the balcony while your assistant reads your meeting agenda and seeing a new 'moon' in the sky.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

GruntyThrst posted:

Also it's really really hard to just straight up destroy planets. You'd need a pretty good sized asteroid, even moving at relativistic speeds. Although I don't know how SW hyperspeed works, if it actually moves you FTL as opposed to say, Star Trek spatial warping than yeah that's get easier real quickly.

The Death Star just shoots a superlaser at it.

The thing about hyperspace ramming is that it doesn't have to straight-up destroy the planet like the Death Star does. It just has to make the planet uninhabitable. Even with all the super-science in the setting, dudes still freeze to death in snowstorms and large-scale moisture farms are necessary in some deserts (or desert planets).

So spontaneously introducing a previously hyperspaced shuttle to Endor's forest moon could very easily create a mass-extinction level catastrophe with all of the firestorm goodness that large meteorite strikes entail. The Chicxulub crater (roughly 180 km in diameter) off the Yucatan (and part of the Yucatan) was only made by something about 10km in diameter. Now, none of the Star Wars ships are that big, but you could very easily say that one is going fast enough in hyperspace to balance out the F=MA equation.

So yeah. Seems like it'd work in a make-believe space elf game. Also, I'm in the MAD camp for why this isn't done.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It doesn't work that way because it's more effective to the story to show how the Emperor doesn't want to efficiently administer the galaxy, but to dominate it with fear, and twist its nature into a reflection of his cruelty.

The force is life. The light side says that you're more than just crude matter, and you're connected to everyone else, and part of a greater network of being. The dark side says that you live by suffering and inflicting suffering, and you're going to die, and that's not fair.

You won't find many symbols of continuity and stability more potent than the literal ground beneath people's feet. To reduce an inhabited planet to wreckage does way more than just killing whoever's on it: it instills an insurmountable horror in everyone who survives. Make a giant flying 911-making machine, and get everyone more and more frightened, and more and more angry. The goal is not to destroy your enemies, but to make your philosophy seem innate to the universe, thereby enshrining it in every sentient mind, and stomp your sith-boots on every face forever.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I don't think you'd need to fire a shot (whether a laser or a really fast ship) at all, personally. Something the size of the Death Star has to have a lot of mass just by itself, probably more than a natural moon of the same size because of all the dense metals. Move it into low enough orbit and it'll probably cause groundquakes and tidal upheaval, while its technobabble fields hold its own self together. And honestly, that'd be even scarier to me: Looking up in the sky and seeing the instrument of your doom just lingering there doing its work and knowing that there's nothing you can do but run and spread the word that the Empire is not to be hosed with.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Karandras posted:

As for the explanation that "only five technicians in the sector can program it" well, come on, that is a bit silly. There are billions of hyperdrive engineers in the Star Wars universe and every second a new one rolls off the production lines.
People design these things and then add the security that stops them going into suns and stuff, the idea that it is this ultra secret technology to remove an override from a commercially created space engine is a little bit of a stretch.

Has this ever been spelled out in the fiction? I always assumed it was a limitation of hyperdrive technology, that presence of a gravity well literally yanked a ship out of hyperspace. Otherwise, yes, it seems silly that people can't just disable it, particularly smugglers that use out-of-the-way routes but fear interdiction.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I just had a taxi driver tell me about his "Half-giant, half-were-black panda bear Psychic warrior/fighter/cleric" that planned to go 10th level pyrokineticst but had his alignment changed from chaotic neutral to neutral good because of a sword. He said at level 10 pyro he would be able to do 500 points of damage with a con save they had to make twice or die. He went on to tell me that the only reason he went cleric was for a 'Find alignments' spell that made him undetectable because he was roaming hell with a half demon/half devil.

I'm wondering if this is even possible now.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 8, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Phenotype posted:

Has this ever been spelled out in the fiction? I always assumed it was a limitation of hyperdrive technology, that presence of a gravity well literally yanked a ship out of hyperspace. Otherwise, yes, it seems silly that people can't just disable it, particularly smugglers that use out-of-the-way routes but fear interdiction.

Nope, it's specifically the hyperdrives that are programmed to cut out if a ship is getting too close to a gravity well.

Of course, looking at Star Wars as anything but Space Fantasy Western is just asking for trouble. We're talking about a galaxy where technology has been basically stagnant for a thousand years or something, so I guess I can believe that nobody really knows how to reprogram a hyperdrive.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Mornacale posted:

Nope, it's specifically the hyperdrives that are programmed to cut out if a ship is getting too close to a gravity well.

Of course, looking at Star Wars as anything but Space Fantasy Western is just asking for trouble. We're talking about a galaxy where technology has been basically stagnant for a thousand years or something, so I guess I can believe that nobody really knows how to reprogram a hyperdrive.

i think this is even contradicted. There was an issue in the Han Solo Corellian trilogy where they had to deal with a sector wide gravity well that was preventing ships from jumping into the inner system (and sublight would take years)

The bakurans came to help and had a technology that used a series of microjumps through the gravity well to make it through the interdiction field. The problem was the hyperdrives were designed to essentially burn through a series of fuses as the physical process put huge strain on the ship and it's engines (the trip was described as extremely uncomfortable for passengers as well)

This could probably be retconned by saying most hyperdrives have safety measures set so you come out of hyperspace well away from gravity wells, removing safeties allows you to jump all the way up to (and slightly into) those wells, but the suggestion is that the gravity well itself will pull you out of hyperspace no matter what

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

treeboy posted:

i think this is even contradicted. There was an issue in the Han Solo Corellian trilogy where they had to deal with a sector wide gravity well that was preventing ships from jumping into the inner system (and sublight would take years)

The bakurans came to help and had a technology that used a series of microjumps through the gravity well to make it through the interdiction field. The problem was the hyperdrives were designed to essentially burn through a series of fuses as the physical process put huge strain on the ship and it's engines (the trip was described as extremely uncomfortable for passengers as well)

It's been a long time since I've read those, but I think you're right. I forget what their system was called, but it would detect gravity wells that should revert them to realspace, then create a bubble in hyperspace so it kept them in that dimension while the hyperdrive technically shut off. Their momentum in hyperspace kept carrying them along until they passed the gravity well and then it would cut back on.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mornacale posted:

Current canon puts the old republic at what 3k years before the movies yet having identical blasters, ships and swords. Space, space never changes.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Boiled Water posted:

Current canon puts the old republic at what 3k years before the movies yet having identical blasters, ships and swords. Space, space never changes.

Hey, the ships are way different, you see they change the number and shape of wings therefore

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

I always thought this was intentional. Star wars is Science Fantasy, and the idea of technological progression with time is tied into themes of modernity. By keeping the technology at a relatively similar level, I thought they were trying to imply the lawlessness and un-modern nature of the societies within star wars.

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Hey, the ships are way different, you see they change the number and shape of wings therefore

Yeah, sometime between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy they figured out a ship would still fly in space if they cut it from six wings down to four. Give it six thousand more years and they might realize they don't need wings at all.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

d3c0y2 posted:

I always thought this was intentional. Star wars is Science Fantasy, and the idea of technological progression with time is tied into themes of modernity. By keeping the technology at a relatively similar level, I thought they were trying to imply the lawlessness and un-modern nature of the societies within star wars.

It's not that complex. Starships and blasters and lightsabers are the cool parts of Star Wars. They wanted to make the Republic super ultra old. Therefore, there were starships and blasters and lightsabers 3000 years ago. Nobody bothered to concern themselves with what that means about the galactic rate of scientific discovery because nobody is supposed to take Star Wars seriously.

e: vvv We're posting in TG. I suspect that more of us than just me have a long, dark history of taking this poo poo seriously buried in the past.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 9, 2012

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mornacale posted:

because nobody is supposed to take Star Wars seriously.

Everyone keeps saying and agreeing with this but here we are a whole page later on this derail and :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I can forgive star wars ships having wings; A good number of them double as shuttles and have to do atmospheric poo poo where wings are actually necessary/very helpful, so it never really bothered me. Am I broken?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I can forgive star wars ships having wings; A good number of them double as shuttles and have to do atmospheric poo poo where wings are actually necessary/very helpful, so it never really bothered me. Am I broken?

Post in a more appropriate thread to find out.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm not bothered by it either. In addition to what you said, the wings also add extra surface area, which means greater heat dissipation, and I have to imagine that blasters produce tons of heat. Plus, aesthetics. Must never discount the need for aesthetics.

edit: Yeah this is probably a bit of a derail.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
To keep this thread on track, I'd like to recount my stories of the Crazy Russian. I've discussed him a bit before, but never really went into detail. He's played in two games and run two others. And every time, he was the group's worst experience.

Ivan loved to drink. He kept a flask of something-or-other with him at all times. He liked to get trashed and climb onto the roofs of buildings, and would sometimes get other students together to fight with quarterstaffs and fists. For several years he didn't have an official place of residence on campus, so he lived as a vagrant, sleeping in lounges and engineering labs and occasionally showering in the athletic center. He carried a shiv everywhere he went. In short, he sounds like the kind of guy that would be a blast to know, until you actually get to know him. He had this abrasive personality and laugh that slowly grated on your nerves until you would just walk away. He could be a flake, but god help you if you missed one of his games. And most of all, he was adamant about always getting his way.

Let's start with the Pokemon game. I'll leave his D&D antics for the next post.

So, my gaming group is all nerds. We grew up with Pokemon. And one day, because we are all lonely pathetic geeks who will die alone, one of us decided to run a Pokemon game, using the most wonderful of systems, BESM. (Yeah... We know better now.) For those of you who aren't Pokemon nerds, I've included images to help illustrate this story.

So the premise of the game is that we're all new trainers, chosen by an academy to go on a fabulous training adventure. Then the academy blows up, and the people running the region are all corrupt and evil, something about Darkrai, and we have to take them down. Standard fare for a tabletop game.

Ivan played a con man. He would get NPCs drunk all the time and try to, I don't know, sell them stuff? Get information from them? Sleep with them? It was never clear what his motivation was. Either way, every time we entered a new town, his first plan of action was "find a police officer/pretty girl and get them drunk", and we were all subjected to long, torturous scenes of his character slurring at the bar.

His Pokemon of choice was Absol, which was also the choice of Pokemon-loving furries everywhere (did I mention Ivan was a furry? Because he was). A dark-type Pokemon, in a setting where we'd been told that all dark-type Pokemon are evil and feral and will try to kill you. This Absol was apparently special. Along with my Magneton, it ended up being the most broken Pokemon in the game. Except in my case it was an accident ("Magneton has three heads, so it should get two extra attacks per round, right? :downs:") whereas his Absol was explicitly designed to break the power level of the game as painfully as possible. He was actually talked down into having an Absol instead of the Steelix he'd originally statted up, which was probably roughly as powerful as a god. The Absol had three attacks per round, each of which did insane damage, and could run something like 200 meters per second. Oh, and it could talk. More on that later.

Ivan knew no alignment besides Chaotic Stupid. Aside from getting people drunk, his character created explosives, got involved in crime, and generally stirred up trouble. At first it was just mildly annoying stuff, so we didn't really care, but then he turned it up a notch. Our characters were lodging in some old man's house near an ocean. He had a boat, and our characters were on the run from something. It was fairly obvious an ocean chase scene was coming up, so Ivan decided to contribute in his own unique way.

:drugnerd: "When nobody's looking I sabotage the boat."

Well. Of course we had to use that boat that very night, and none of our characters could tell that it had been tampered with. And it sank in an ocean that was full of Gyarados.

That was when the rest of us really started to get pissed. We only avoided a TPK because our DM didn't want to end his game due to one person's stupidity. We asked him what the hell was up with trying to get us all killed, and he got defensive.

:drugnerd: "It's my character! It's what my character would do. I'm roleplaying. Don't railroad me!"

That would be his excuse for the rest of the game. Whenever he did some stupid poo poo, he passed it off as roleplaying. When repercussions came down in-game for his actions, we were railroading him. It all came to a head when we got to Monochrome City. It was described to us as a semi-totalitarian utopia, where police crack down on anyone who looks like they might be a troublemaker. You know, like Arizona.

Of course, we all got into trouble almost instantly. The worst offenders were my character, who attempted to start an underground Pokemon fighting ring and accidentally killed a police officer in the resulting crackdown, and Ivan, who immediately tried to take down the entire power structure of the city by way of getting police officers drunk, an attempt which also ended in violence. We were all brought to a kangaroo court, and the two of us received the harshest punishment, having exploding ankle bracers attached to our legs, a Ditto masquerading as blood cells injected into our veins, and a parole officer who was to monitor our every move.

I readily accepted this-- as a side note, our DM was very fair and let us get away with lots of crazy poo poo. This wasn't some method of punishing us for messing with his plot, it was just a way to throw some more elements into the crazy plot twists ahead. I knew that when my character flaunted the law, this would be the end result, because he had told us that stepping one toe out of line in this city would result in crazy, unjust punishments. But Ivan hated it. We were railroading him and punishing him for playing his character the way he imagined him! The DM refused to change the ruling, and Ivan basically threw a hissy fit.

In the sessions to come, Ivan's character rebuked his parole officer and continued acting like an ex-con jackass. Eventually, he got on a bus headed to god-knows-where, intending to leave the group and return to doing his own thing. He got a call from his parole officer asking what the gently caress he was doing, and saying that if he tried to run, he would take drastic measures to stop him. Ivan's character responded by saying that he knew where the parole officer's sister lived and that if he tried to stop him, he'd rape her.

That was the last straw, both for the parole officer and the DM. The button was pressed and the ankle bracelet exploded. Now, to be fair, I'm pretty sure a GPS anklet shouldn't explode with the force of a land mine. But as stated above, the GM loved doing crazy dramatic poo poo ("Yes you can attack the floor above you, now there's a whole building falling on top of you, roll to dodge"). The bus crashed and rolled over. Ivan's character, sans one leg, crawled out of the wreckage. He had lost most of his hit points and had no way to run. So when the police officers arrived to take him in, did he give himself up peacefully? gently caress no! He and his Pokemon fought them tooth and nail. His Absol decapitated officers and his Beartic froze them solid. Finally, one of the commanding officers decided enough was enough, and spoke the command word, transforming the Ditto inside Ivan's character into a Snorlax and killing him instantly.

My Porygon caught the whole thing on HD video, and we found a way to show it to everyone we met from then on. :cool:

We though that was the end. Ivan had apparently hated the game, after all, and wasn't shy about saying it, so he probably wouldn't want to roll up a new character, right? Wrong. He approached the DM before the next session, demanding to be allowed to play as his Absol. The DM told him hell no, that he'd have to make another human if he wanted to play. An Absol wouldn't fit into the story, especially because people in towns tended to attack dark Pokemon on sight. But he persisted. He'd spent the points for Absol to be able to talk and gave it intelligence equivalent to a human! That meant it was totally valid as a player character!

Finally, the DM relented and allowed him to play one session as his Absol, to tie up loose ends his character had left. The first thing he did was enter my character's bedroom through the window. My character had previously been established as a super-paranoid person who had almost been killed by a swarm of dark Pokemon earlier in the game. Naturally, I sent my Magneton to attack it on sight. And Ivan yelled at me for metagaming.

He kept trying to attend sessions after that. Eventually, the DM just started ignoring him whenever he asked, because he didn't want to deal with his whining anymore. The game was brought to its conclusion without Ivan, and that was the end of that.

But Ivan also loved to play D&D...

To get the obvious question out of the way:

Radish posted:

I can understand the perverse enjoyment of watching this dude do everything he complains about and making an rear end out of himself trying to defend his game against any threat to his precious fan fiction (and likewise it's funny reading your post about him), but why does anyone give him the time of day in the first place?

Ratspeaker posted:

I think the only reason we all put up with him is because he's going to be graduating next semester, so we won't have to deal with him much longer. Besides, having a player that everyone can be united in hating does wonders to minimize the infighting and drama that usually springs up between the group.

I think he was supposed to have graduated by now, but he's stuck around to finish his fabulous 3.5 game, which I'll get into next. Hooray.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ratspeaker posted:

stuff

Wow, that's pretty terrible. Also, it depresses me how much terrible stuff furries do with Absol, because I actually like it and seeing all the "sexy" (ugh) pictures of it is terrible. Like the pictures themselves.

Also, I wish I had a good story to contribute here. Only thing I can think of was an online Maid RPG session I ran years ago, that had at least ten people in it. Despite being even more chaotic and ridiculous than Maid is inherently and it being my first time GMing Maid, it went great and everyone had a good time (a second session was planned but when we were doing it (with even more people) I got called away from the computer for an hour or two and we never got everyone together again). Everyone avoided all the creepy stuff too; the most sexual thing that happened was someone whose character was inconsolable (stress explosion of crying) failing a Luck roll when they were all doing laundry and blowing her nose with another character's (clean, just out of the wash) panties; considering that one of the characters (everyone randomly made theirs using the die-rolling bot we had) was a loli catgirl who wore a collar, and another character was the former lover of said catgirl's older sister (despite not being a catgirl herself), everything being clean apart from some comedy moments was pretty impressive on everyone's part. Also, for some reason, people kept falling into holes in the mansion or making more holes in the floor and then falling into them. Also learned a few good things for GMing in it, like, after a character spent fifteen minutes in a violence stress explosion (thus attacking, well, everyone) and shortly later getting enough stress for another one, me just pretending it didn't happen because no one else was keeping track of stress and I didn't want to force the player to keep up all that or have yet another round of violence dominate the game. No one noticed and the game kept flowing. I wish I could remember some highlights, but it happened so long ago that it's kind of blurred together.

Even though it only got one proper session in, it actually became a running thing, with it being referenced as if it were an anime and manga in the other, ongoing continuity the group had going. (The session itself, not us role playing it, oviously.) It was a surprising success for something I was entirely improvising and that had, again, at least ten people in it at once.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ratspeaker posted:

:drugnerd: "It's my character! It's what my character would do. I'm roleplaying. Don't railroad me!"
I've had this happen exactly one time and the response from everyone was "well the gently caress you AND your character, stop being a poo poo and either be a part of the team or gently caress off to the car until we're done playing."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ratspeaker posted:

a Ditto masquerading as blood cells injected into our veins
This concept would work great in the gritty Pokémon reboot that surely is coming to theaters near you any minute now.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I've made a guy for D&D (first game) who is based on Nicomo Cosca from Joe Abercrombie books. He's a cool swashbuckler. It's only my first go at the game but it was pretty awesome because I resolved our first mini-quest to stop aggression from this little fiefdom by inviting myself inside this dudes stately home to discuss the finer points of agricultural subsidies, then I stabbed him and jumped out a window.

e: this was after like 30 agonising minutes of the rest of my team trying to fight/navigate their way through a sewer. gently caress that, these boots are new. We were meant to apprehend the guy (the plan was to fight our way in and make him yield when we got there after our show of strength) but I picked up an alternative quest from the DM to kill him and get a nice gold stipend from another family. I'm awash with cash now and no one knows why.

J Bjelke-Postersen fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 10, 2012

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I picked up an alternative quest from the DM to kill him and get a nice gold stipend from another family. I'm awash with cash now and no one knows why.
Excellent work. If you're going to do something, see if there's anyone who will pay you to do that thing you were going to do anyway. If you're not going to do something, see if there's someone who will bribe you to not do something you weren't ever going to do.

Every time you do (or not do) something, you should be cashing at least three paychecks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Quarex posted:

This concept would work great in the gritty Pokémon reboot that surely is coming to theaters near you any minute now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDX1m0Y2Vkg

LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

Six Glistening Black Eyes

Ratspeaker posted:

In the sessions to come, Ivan's character rebuked his parole officer and continued acting like an ex-con jackass. Eventually, he got on a bus headed to god-knows-where, intending to leave the group and return to doing his own thing. He got a call from his parole officer asking what the gently caress he was doing, and saying that if he tried to run, he would take drastic measures to stop him. Ivan's character responded by saying that he knew where the parole officer's sister lived and that if he tried to stop him, he'd rape her.

loving cops, always getting in the way. :cop:

...I mean...what? :confused:

Although I can't help but feel that anecdote is a prime example of why working out social-level issues via play usually isn't a good idea.

quote:

I think he was supposed to have graduated by now, but he's stuck around to finish his fabulous 3.5 game, which I'll get into next. Hooray.

I can only imagine what a person player of his caliber is capable of from the GM's chair.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

LincolnSmash posted:

loving cops, always getting in the way. :cop:

This immediately made me think of "I rape the DuCaine family, again."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

This immediately made me think of "I rape the DuCaine family, again."

Is there a story to this? This sounds amazing in a horrible way.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Is there a story to this? This sounds amazing in a horrible way.

You should check out Community. It has a great episode in which Chevy Chase plays an amalgamation of every single D&D horror story in this thread.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Quarex posted:

Let he who has not thought of running a super-serious cockfighting seizure-monster campaign cast the first stone.

(Actually, I did more than just think of it. (Unfortunately it wasn't actually notable, but I'll try harder next time.))

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have been using this a lot lately, but :stare: seems appropriate yet again. Thank you for helping me find this. Though now I want to audition to be in the movie, and this does nothing to make it any less not a real movie :(

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's not pokemon, but I'm thinking of adapting Mage into a Harry Potter game. Set at Hogwarts during World War 2. I'm thinking of playing it grimdark and seeing what hilarity emerges. Knowing my players, they'll ignore the Dark Nazi Wizard guy (Grindesomething?) completely and start a wizard / muggle currency exchange scam and possibly also an arms-dealing ring selling artillery pieces to wizards and avadakedavra charms to muggles).

Edit: Or possibly I'll just use FUDGE instead and not worry too much about rules.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Back in high school, I decided to try out GMing. At the time, it was only me and my friend - we played D&D with just me as the solo player as the other guy who used to play moved. I wanted to do something different, so I tried out d20 Modern. The campaign idea was fairly simple - my friend's character was a guy who had been recruited by an secret organization called Department 7 to fight supernatural threats.

I don't remember the first mission all that well, but basically my friend finds out that some machine creatures are turning people into their slaves and gets the Department to mount a raid at the location. He goes off on his own, and wins up meeting the creature in charge, who talks to him. The thing wants to get away, and offers a million dollars in a briefcase if my friend lets him. He accepts, and then opens the case once the creature is gone. It is actually a bomb and he is hospitalized.

So he gets out and goes home. I decide to improve a roleplaying scene where his mother calls him and asks how he's doing and stuff.

"How it's going son?"

"Okay. I got blown up though."

"What?"

"Yeah I work for the government and they sent me on a mission where someone bombed me."

I'm kinda going "What the hell" in my head, but continue. "Son, what are you doing?"

"Oh it's a secret organization, I do this kinda stuff for them."

I'm still reeling from the fact that he just admitted this to his character's mother, and have her end the conversation by asking him to quit and do something safer.

I wasn't sure how to deal with the fallout of this, but the game ended soon anyway. The character wound up getting arrested because he was a crime scene taking guns from dead bodies to sell.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

AlphaDog posted:

It's not pokemon, but I'm thinking of adapting Mage into a Harry Potter game. Set at Hogwarts during World War 2. I'm thinking of playing it grimdark and seeing what hilarity emerges.

I would play this. I would play this so hard. Please do it and report back with stories.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Heliotrope posted:

I'm still reeling from the fact that he just admitted this to his character's mother, and have her end the conversation by asking him to quit and do something safer.

It would've been awesome if his mother had been awesome at keeping secrets and came up with a different reason why he wasn't at Thanksgiving that year or supported him when he told family members that the scar on his cheek from the electric-zombie-octopus (electrizomboctopod?) was just a hickey from his ex. And every time he called and told her about the latest adventure, she ended by asking him to stay safe and maybe look into transferring jobs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AlphaDog posted:

It's not pokemon, but I'm thinking of adapting Mage into a Harry Potter game. Set at Hogwarts during World War 2. I'm thinking of playing it grimdark and seeing what hilarity emerges.

I would absolutely play in this. Would this make Death Eaters/dark wizards the Scelesti?

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Let he who has not thought of running a super-serious cockfighting seizure-monster campaign cast the first stone.

(Actually, I did more than just think of it. (Unfortunately it wasn't actually notable, but I'll try harder next time.))

I'm half convinced this is why Sorcerer even exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AlphaDog posted:

It's not pokemon, but I'm thinking of adapting Mage into a Harry Potter game. Set at Hogwarts during World War 2. I'm thinking of playing it grimdark and seeing what hilarity emerges. Knowing my players, they'll ignore the Dark Nazi Wizard guy (Grindesomething?) completely and start a wizard / muggle currency exchange scam and possibly also an arms-dealing ring selling artillery pieces to wizards and avadakedavra charms to muggles).

Edit: Or possibly I'll just use FUDGE instead and not worry too much about rules.

I would also be down for this. His name is Grindelwald, by the way.