Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I have the new beta, and it now loads my bookmarks over mobile data.
I did have an object reference error when loading the Schadenfreude thread, but loading the Doctor Who thread worked- it may just have been my data being flaky in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I did have an object reference error when loading the Schadenfreude thread, but loading the Doctor Who thread worked- it may just have been my data being flaky in the office.

Mobile data fixed here, yey! What was the cause of the issue? In English.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Was discussed above, as part of a request to a website the client lists some details on its capabilities. Here Awful reported that it understood gzipped responses, which are used to save bandwidth, but actually didn't decode gzipped responses correctly if it got them. The reason why some people saw it and some didn't was because their carrier actually man-in-the-middle compressed data that they saw was allowed to be compressed but wasn't in the form it was sent from somethingawful.com. A pretty sensible thing to do really. What is most surprising about the whole thing is that somethingawful.com doesn't more consistently gzip its content, should be pretty substantial bandwidth savings.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Do you get the error consistently on that thread?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Nope, I just tried that thread and it worked!

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Anyone else having trouble with this app after updating to WP 8.1? It's now really difficult to scroll, it doesn't register my finger movements most of the time, particularly for scrolling downwards. It also gets worse over a session to the point where it will just refuse to scroll in any direction. Other apps are working fine.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Tgent posted:

Anyone else having trouble with this app after updating to WP 8.1? It's now really difficult to scroll, it doesn't register my finger movements most of the time, particularly for scrolling downwards. It also gets worse over a session to the point where it will just refuse to scroll in any direction. Other apps are working fine.
I'm seeing some of that, also sometimes getting weird partial renders where part of the screen will just bug out and not render.

Replies with the swipe keyboard are fuckin sexy though!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Tgent posted:

Yes. It has also crashed a few times for me. Scrolling, press, slide down, then scroll up.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Tgent posted:

It does seem a bit sticky -- no doubt because of the update to IE 11. I'll have to play with the view a bit and see what's up. If it is what I think it is, I might have to wait until 8.1 is live before I release a fix.

Version 3.1 has been pushed to the marketplace. Updates:

• Private Messages
  • Additional thread info (aka last poster, closed/open)
  • Persistant Thread tabs
  • Tag and Smiley Code selector when writing posts/pms
  • Intermittent bookmark/forums loading fix
  • Other stuff I can't remember, yay

Is there anything else you guys want to see? I know The Lord Bude wants the ability to open multiple threads at once.

Partycat posted:

Yes. It has also crashed a few times for me. Scrolling, press, slide down, then scroll up.

Can you repeat this on the same thread this first happened? If so, list the steps you took (Press what? Slide down what?). Thanks!

EDIT: Holy crap that was the fastest I've ever gotten a release accepted. Guess it'll be available in a few hours.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 16, 2014

Malmanous
Mar 28, 2008

bootleg robot posted:

Is there anything else you guys want to see?

Can you make the live tile theme aware? Or at least make it an option? I'm really liking these new start sreen backgrounds but I have way to many Apps that dont use the theme colour.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If we're talking issues, the few times I've tried to use the smiley/tag selector, it copied to the clipboard correctly but then wiped my reply out. :saddowns:

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

If we're talking issues, the few times I've tried to use the smiley/tag selector, it copied to the clipboard correctly but then wiped my reply out. :saddowns:
+1 to this.

Also, after changing my password, the app prompted the object reference not set nonesense, but it went away when I logged out of the app and logged in with my new password.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
+1 for the crazy scrolling

otterley
Jul 11, 2008

bootleg robot posted:

Version 3.1 has been pushed to the marketplace. Updates:

• Private Messages
  • Additional thread info (aka last poster, closed/open)
  • Persistant Thread tabs
  • Tag and Smiley Code selector when writing posts/pms
  • Intermittent bookmark/forums loading fix
  • Other stuff I can't remember, yay

Finally found the thread for this app! It rocks, I browse the forums daily.

But for the latest update: did you increase the font size? I'm on Lumia 920 and it looks too big and requires more scrolling now. Are you at some point planning to bring back the old settings screen where I think it was possible to pick between small or large text?

Otherwise the app keeps getting better, good job!

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

bootleg robot posted:

Is there anything else you guys want to see?

When I click on a thread I've already read that has new posts, I'd love to jump to my last read post instead of starting on the first or last page. Also, when I go to a new page in a thread, it seems like it automatically jumps to the second to last post on that page and I have to scroll up.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BigBoss posted:

When I click on a thread I've already read that has new posts, I'd love to jump to my last read post instead of starting on the first or last page.

This is my only real gripe about the app at this point. Otherwise, it's very nice, good job bootleg robot!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

This is my only real gripe about the app at this point. Otherwise, it's very nice, good job bootleg robot!

That already works. But whether it works for you or not depends on some options in your UCP. (Why is that? Is it really impossible to figure out the right place to pick up from otherwise?)

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

nielsm posted:

That already works. But whether it works for you or not depends on some options in your UCP. (Why is that? Is it really impossible to figure out the right place to pick up from otherwise?)

What are these options and how do make them work?

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

BigBoss posted:

What are these options and how do make them work?

In the options from the user control panel it's labeled "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color". Once that's on it should work.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ev posted:

In the options from the user control panel it's labeled "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color". Once that's on it should work.

Yeah this isn't strictly necessary in order to get the functionality (in general). Let me know if you need a hand, bootleg robot, and I can double-check how Awful.app does it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

Yeah this isn't strictly necessary in order to get the functionality (in general). Let me know if you need a hand, bootleg robot, and I can double-check how Awful.app does it.

I do it based on the "pti" number, which is included on the query string when you load a thread that's been viewed. I get that number and scroll to the post after the web view is loaded.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

I do it based on the "pti" number, which is included on the query string when you load a thread that's been viewed. I get that number and scroll to the post after the web view is loaded.

Yeah that's the one. And it's technically part of the fragment, not the query, if you're looking to get it from an instance of whatever object in your code.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Thanks for the help, guys -- I'll definitely look into that feature.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Can you repeat this result, or does it happen randomly?

Largo LaForge posted:

+1 to this.

Also, after changing my password, the app prompted the object reference not set nonsense, but it went away when I logged out of the app and logged in with my new password.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll handle this case more gracefully in the next release.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 18, 2014

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

I am going to most likely hold off on making changes to support WP8.1 until I migrate the current version to the Universal Apps model. Awful for WinRT 8.1 and WP share a bunch of the same code already, but now there's a far more elegant solution (thanks Microsoft!). Once that's done, I'll release it as a beta version for users to test and enjoy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I love this app, just wondering if you plan to implement rotation anytime soon? I would rather use my phone in landscape than portrait when taking a dump. :saddowns:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So this is a test as the last two posts i tried through the app seem to have disappeared without a trace... I get the confirmation but the post doesn't appear in either the app or a browser...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So this is a test as the last two posts i tried through the app seem to have disappeared without a trace... I get the confirmation but the post doesn't appear in either the app or a browser...

Huh. And that worked. How strange. In the intervening period I closed and re-opened the app, no idea if that's what caused it to start working or not.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

bootleg robot posted:

Is there anything else you guys want to see? I know The Lord Bude wants the ability to open multiple threads at once.

Please color YOSPOS. :colbert:

Edit: Actual request: I love picture threads. Is there a setting option to make it so pictures load automatically?

edit: YAY! Thanks friend!

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 24, 2014

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

bootleg robot posted:

Knowing and preserving when someone's viewing a poster's iso (that is, when userid=[not 0]). Common in thread-based games in TGR/PbP, also useful for IK's (checking history for enforcement) and political threads (checking for left/right lean), as well as filtering to updates in LP threads.

Work/Life balance has gone wacky, but I'm still trying to backport for ya. Some of the issues I had were magically resolved when I installed the Windows Phone 7.5 Targeting Pack, but others remain; #1 on the list is convincing Awful.Core to use the Rx stuff from Microsoft.Phone.Reactive (since Rx assumes they're there on WP targets, but VS assumes that they're not, for baseline SL4 compat).

Edit: Also, treat images from http://media.votefinder.org/ as smilies instead of images.

TwelveBaud fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 23, 2014

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

Captain Pike posted:

Please color YOSPOS. :colbert:

Edit: Actual request: I love picture threads. Is there a setting option to make it so pictures load automatically?

It was mentioned that one of the Awful 3.0 updates was that by default it would automatically load images as you scrolled to them, and throw them away once you scrolled past.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

To answer your question, i haven't ever gotten selecting a tag or smiley to NOT wipe what was already in the reply box. :(

Also, i think it might be better if selecting the username, not the avatar, showed their text, since not everyone has an avatar and many people just have red text. I should probably just fork and do it myself. :negative:

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

To answer your question, i haven't ever gotten selecting a tag or smiley to NOT wipe what was already in the reply box. :(
Have you made sure to tap off of the reply box before going to the smiley/tag screens? Text boxes in Pocket IE, like in regular IE, don't tell anyone that their text has been changed until you do that, so the rest of Awful thinks it's inserting the smiley/tag into a blank text box, because IE didn't tell it there was stuff there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TwelveBaud posted:

Edit: Also, treat images from http://media.votefinder.org/ as smilies instead of images.

Can you link a relevant thread? I'll add this to Awful.app.

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Can you link a relevant thread? I'll add this to Awful.app.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626121&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post428614331

Basically just make sure the images are inlined, so that they show up as the bar soru intended them to.

Related site: http://votefinder.org/game/brofia#votecount
Source code: http://code.google.com/p/votefinder-web/

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks!

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

The app seems to crash on image/gif-heavy pages, for example it crashed a couple times on this page here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625144&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=68

Has happened to me on both cellular and wifi connections.

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

I'm still working on getting Awful 3 for Windows Phone 7 to be a thing. I've actually got something that compiles and runs now, although some key parts are still broken.

I have a diff for AwfulNET.Core from this commit about a month ago. (Apologies for the huge chunk in the middle dealing with HTML Entities). It changes the project into a Windows Phone 7 class library, removes QDFeedParser and uses the .NET Framework's own RSS feed parser, re-targets everything to exclusively target Windows Phone 7 (because some NuGet packages kept exclusive WP7 support but dropped WP7-as-part-of-PCL support), adds an HTML entity parser and URL encoder (since they're not part of the WP7 BCL), removes the dynamic object declaration from Json.Parse (since Silverlight 4 doesn't support dynamic), and changes the Task invocations to use the old style (since the last version of Bcl.Async that supports WP7 doesn't have the convenience method yet).

In theory, by changing the output directory and making sure not to include HtmlEntities.cs when building for not-WP7, you could have two project files that use the same exact code, one building for WP7 and one building for everything else. I haven't tested this though; on my local machine, I segregated things into their own separate directories so that I could have both copies of the code in my working folder as I worked. (That's also why this is just a diff gist.)

I'll keep working on porting the actual phone app. Right now I'm dealing with the differences between WPToolkit jumplists and native WP8 jumplists.

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

Apologies, for some reason I'm actually expected to work at work the past few weeks, but I've not given up on a WP7 port.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just switched over to a Windows phone. This a nice looking app but every thread opens to the first page, every time. Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong but I saw it mentioned above so probably not. Also what are the metatags I "discovered"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bootleg robot posted:

Troubleshooting (Updated 4/21/12)

• Every time I click a thread with unread posts, it takes me to the top of the page instead of the first unread post! In the User Control Panel, under Thread Tracking, set the option "Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not" to yes. Also make sure to set "Highlight threads I've seen in a different color" to yes. This will be fixed in 1.9. Work in progress!

OP is a bit outdated but check these settings.

• Locked thread