Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ev
Aug 3, 2006

FoolishLobster posted:

I have a Nokia Lumia 920. Threads aren't loading for me, the app becomes unresponsive and then crashes.. Also will you ever make it so that you don't have to login every time you start the app?

Dunno about loading threads but when I had a 920 I think I got it to stay logged in by closing the app as soon as I logged in, I think with the back button, and not trying to load any threads. I don't have a windows phone now so I can't test it but this, or some variation thereof worked to keep me logged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I finally joined the WP8 game with my new Lumia 1520. Can I get in on the beta? Live account is evanwilliams at gmail.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
Thanks for adding me to the beta. I found one bug that others may have already mentioned but when I try to add a forum to the favorites list I get an error that says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

bootleg robot posted:

Try allowing the favorites to load first before swiping to the forums index -- I want to confirm something. Errors will be a lot more verbose in the next push.

EDIT: Can people confirm if they are able to use the app on data connections?

I tried letting the favorites load first, although I don't have any favorites in the first place, but still got the same error.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

bootleg robot posted:

I rewrote the backend to support the new language features (such as async) and compiled it into a PCL (shitposting on the Xbone?). My parsing implementation should pretty much be the same as the older versions, but I haven't touched it in a while. I'll have to take a look and see.

Thanks to everyone for finding and posting bugs -- I've made note of them and will fix as necessary. To those wanting to look at the code, I will have a repo up on github by tomorrow.

You rock for making this app. I can now pin forums to the favorites section. For some reason I had to refresh the forum list before it would stop thinking I was pinning the coupons board when I tried to pin GBS, but once I did that it worked great.

Is there a way to set what page/tab the shows when you open it? Like, can I set it to display the bookmarks list instead of the front page list? No biggie if not, just wondering.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

bootleg robot posted:

Glad it works for you. Is the app working for you when you aren't on wifi? I no longer use my WP as a daily driver so I can't test for it. I'm having a hard time thinking what the issue could be. The app doesn't check for connectivity (until now -- before it makes any remote requests, it checks for a network connection), so it should be agnostic to wifi or data, as long as you have internets.

Customization will be in a future release. I'm just focusing on getting it through certification and handling any showstopping bugs for now. The new beta version should have your bookmarks show up first. Does it not?

That's my bad, it does appear to load the bookmarks first. And it definitely works without WiFi (at least for me), I'm posting this over LTE right now.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I found a weird and seemingly random bug. Sometimes I lose the ability to refresh (the refresh button will be grayed out and not respond when I tap on it), whether it's the bookmarks page or a forum index. I can't find a pattern to it other than it seems to happen after I've read a thread. If I go to another page/tab in the app then and then back to where I was it'll usually work again.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I found another weird thing. Twice since the last update the app logged me out. It'll be working and then the next time I open it I have to log in again, but I haven't seen a pattern in when it happens or what else I was doing when it happened.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I can confirm that this has happened to me. Also twice, funnily enough.

It's happened once more since I posted about it, but again I can't think of anything that all three times have in common.

Edit: Not sure if it helps to know this but it lost the favorites when it logged me out as well and when I logged back in I had to refresh the forum list before it would add/remove the correct forums from the favorites list.

I wish I knew how to program, because then I would be all over trying to help with this. One more thing that I've found: the text entry field when posting is sometimes hidden under the keyboard when it moves to a new line, and doesn't seem to reposition it until I've typed at least a few words.

My non-programmer mind is wondering if that could have something to do with the 1520 having a higher resolution than other WP8 phones (at least I don't think there are any other WP8 phones that match its resolution).

Ev fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 28, 2014

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
That just started on my phone too. It was working just fine an hour ago. I tried logging out and back in and it did that just fine, but still nothing other than the front page is loading.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
So, uh... It seems to work again now. Posting from the app.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

BigBoss posted:

What are these options and how do make them work?

In the options from the user control panel it's labeled "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color". Once that's on it should work.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I just tried to open a few links in the free magazine thread that were pictures linking to other sites and instead of the proper links opening the browser opened the pictures instead. I hope that makes sense, but basically it didn't open the links it was supposed to.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

I might be missing something obvious, but how do I fix everyone's handle showing up as "AwfulPoster"? Already tried signing out, restarting the app, and signing in and even rebooting my phone.

Whoa. I just noticed that too. I'm not seeing it everywhere, some users have the right names, but lots don't... I could have sworn it wasn't doing that earlier this evening.

Edit: And yet it quoted your real username...

Edit 2: Not seeing the problem in the other Awful reader.

Ev fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 16, 2014

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Is there more than one? The only one I saw on the store and am using is Nathan Simpson's Awful.

There's the one by Drastic Actions that I've taken to using a fair bit. I kinda go back and forth between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

That explains why I only see one in the store. Release 8.1 for the Icon already, Verizon. :argh:

Developer preview?

• Locked thread